Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wateroverfire posted:

Are you a college sophmore? You are, aren't you.

i am all things and nothing, i am the inherent paradox of rationality as actualised by ur posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

don't like your McJob? you're free...to die in a gutter :laffo:

Or, you know, go look for a different job. You would make a terrible poor person.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

Which is, actually, quite a lot when you consider it.

They can not go many colleges and not have all kinds of healthcare. Stupdendous. Look at all the cars they cant afford.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

euphronius posted:

They can not go many colleges and not have all kinds of healthcare. Stupdendous. Look at all the cars they cant afford.

Medicaid, pell grants, subsidized student loans forgiven after 10 years on income based repayment. Hmm.

It has historically always sucked to be poor (citation needed, I know). But I posit it sucks a lot less than it ever has.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
You know, when you think about it impoverished people have a lot of choice. McD's, Taco Bell, or Wendy's? The choices are practically infinite.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Medicaid!!! Ha hah HAAAA!

It's also 20-25 years of IBR repayments.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

euphronius posted:

Medicaid!!! Ha hah HAAAA!

It's also 20-25 years of IBR repayments.

Oh sorry. 20-25 years of paying 0 or next to 0 followed by forgiveness instead of 10.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

wateroverfire posted:

Oh sorry. 20-25 years of paying 0 or next to 0 followed by forgiveness instead of 10.

Yeah 20-25 years of wage garnishments and no fiscal stability sounds like the Miller High Life to me.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I warned ya'll last page.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah 20-25 years of wage garnishments and no fiscal stability sounds like the Miller High Life to me.

Paying a token amount toward the cost of your education before getting the rest written off by the government - true injustice.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i, a middle class white man with a stable job and no debt, wish i had no problems in my life like poor people. they've got it made, they just sit around on their porches all day drinking rum and listening to jazz records

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ITT people in the top 20% of the world by income, who'd probably see their living standards halved if income were distributed equally globally, complain about how unfair the world is to them

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

wateroverfire posted:

Paying a token amount toward the cost of your education before getting the rest written off by the government - true injustice.

You're right, the choice of spending 20+ years of being broke after your education or facing serious wage garnishment sounds like a great great choice.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

"token amount" = 10%-25% of one's income for 2 decades.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i, a middle class white man with a stable job and no debt, wish i had no problems in my life like poor people. they've got it made, they just sit around on their porches all day drinking rum and listening to jazz records

I would expect this kind of bigotry from a poster with the forum name Popular Thug Drink.

But I am still disappointed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

you pay income tax on that write off. No one has gotten there yet though. I suspect in 15 years when the first people get there it will be changed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

Better option -- moving overseas to pursue a career.

Thank g-d for Israel, eh?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I warned ya'll last page.

I find it amusing. Nothing substantial was ever going to come of any discussion here. Or any D&D thread.

wateroverfire posted:

Tells me the cost of the education was over priced to begin with. And if you say something about picking the wrong majors I can introduce you to 70+ underemployed law grad baristas.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

"token amount" = 10%-25% of one's income for 2 decades.

TBH 10% sounds not bad. 25% might be into "not worth it" territory.

OFC if you get an expensive education and go back to working a McJob you're doing it wrong.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

Better option -- moving overseas to pursue a career.

Thank g-d for Israel, eh?

Only if you are Jewish. And not black/brown.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"you poor people would not be poor if you got an education and a good paying job" - Poster wateroverfire

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

I find it amusing. Nothing substantial was ever going to come of any discussion here. Or any D&D thread.

Tells me the cost of the education was over priced to begin with. And if you say something about picking the wrong majors I can introduce you to 70+ underemployed law grad baristas.

Hmm.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

euphronius posted:

"you poor people would not be poor if you got an education and a good paying job" - Poster wateroverfire

I ran the numbers and it checks out

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

I ran the numbers and it checks out

hosed up if true.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hmm indeed.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Gravel Gravy posted:

Law was a lovely choice for a major no matter how you look at it over the last few decades

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

Making public college education completely free would pay for itself several times over, but retarded conservative can't stand the idea of a sound investment if it benefits poor people at all

Other countries are feeling so bad for us that they're starting to offer free college education to American students, that's how boneheaded and backwards-thinking our conservative leadership is

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
*in bizarro world where college is free in the US*

left-wing goons: It's so unfair how free education is a subsidy to corporations who don't have to spend money on training employees

*in another bizarro world where corporations pay students' tuition fees*

left-wing goons: It's so unfair that I didn't get into college because no company wanted to pay for my arts degree

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

I lolled. I tip my hat to you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bizarro world = the rest of the developed world. How bizarre.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Typo posted:

Law was a lovely choice for a major no matter how you look at it over the last few decades

The idea existed that if you wanted a good job you had to go to law school, no matter your profession or interest law degrees are useful. That bubble burst pretty hard.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
do one about the bizarro world where the machines have thrown down their human overlords and installed robocommunism, i love that one

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

capitalism leading to innovation is one of those relations that are, uh, somewhat more complicated than they appear

Lotka Volterra posted:

Ascribing "innovation" to a system of economics without acknowledging the myriad other factors that drive innovation (necessity, for one) seems incredibly shortsighted.

Guys, guys, what if... what if it were possible to believe that capitalism can be beneficial as long as it kept within the confines of utilitarian social welfare and social democracy?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Gravel Gravy posted:

The idea existed that if you wanted a good job you had to go to law school, no matter your profession or interest law degrees are useful. That bubble burst pretty hard.

oh god won't someone think of the poor lawyers

student loan debt is pretty low on the list of real problems we have in this country and it's really immature to bring it up in a discussion about the minimum wage

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

do one about the bizarro world where the machines have thrown down their human overlords and installed robocommunism, i love that one

uhh yeah in that one the machines decided to put the guys who started businesses in medium income countries first against the wall and have installed people who were unable to get rewarding jobs after college as their new politburo (the robots know their limits and need human rulers)

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Making public college education completely free would pay for itself several times over

That's pretty questionable but I'm open to and agree with the idea that college could be both a lot cheaper and subsidized and that with the right kind of accountability it could work out better than what we do now.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Geriatric Pirate posted:

left-wing goons: It's so unfair how free education is a subsidy to corporations who don't have to spend money on training employees

left-wing goons: It's so unfair that I didn't get into college because no company wanted to pay for my arts degree

There's also kind of contradiction where we are suppose to believe that free college education will make back the costs in terms of tax revenues while simultaneously stating that college grads are all under/unemployed.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Geriatric Pirate posted:

*in a bizarro world where OP isn't an idiot*

"wow it's sure nice that I can get an education without having to go tens of thousands of dollars into debt!"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

down with slavery posted:

student loan debt is pretty low on the list of real problems we have in this country and it's really immature to bring it up in a discussion about the minimum wage

Pipe down, Rufio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

down with slavery posted:

its actually a huge problem, just not a huge problem for poor people I guess. its a reall problem though because it is a huge drag on the economy.

• Locked thread