Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

uhh yeah in that one the machines decided to put the guys who started businesses in medium income countries first against the wall and have installed people who were unable to get rewarding jobs after college as their new politburo (the robots know their limits and need human rulers)

wtf no thats not how it works idiot, its robocommunism. stupid motherfucker. are you even accredited to shitpost. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Typo posted:

There's also kind of contradiction where we are suppose to believe that free college education will make back the costs in terms of tax revenues while simultaneously stating that college grads are all under/unemployed.

Actually, that isn't or shouldn't be the argument at all. Everyone is entitled to an education if they want it, if it results in them getting work placement great. If not, this is why you have something like a min income (or less desirably - a minimum wage) so that people can spend and drive demand in the economy.

Though it does help the economy to not have a bunch of people in debt.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Geriatric Pirate posted:

REMEMBER WHEN READING MY POSTS THAT I AM LITERALLY LAUGHING AT PEOPLE FOR DESCRIBING HOW HARD IT IS TO BE POOR IN THE USA, WHILE POSTING FROM A SCANDINAVIAN SOCIAL DEMOCRACY. ALSO, DON'T READ MY POSTS, I AM A MORON BUT TOO STUPID TO KNOW IT.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Gravel Gravy posted:

Pipe down, Rufio.
believe it or not there are some things that are more important to deal with than your student loan debt

euphronius posted:

its actually a huge problem, just not a huge problem for poor people I guess. its a reall problem though because it is a huge drag on the economy.

i'm not saying it isn't real, just that ensuring a living wage is provided for working americans is much more important, alongside a host of other issues

i'm sorry but whining about student loan debt just makes you seem self-interested and quite frankly, it's a pretty stable situation at the moment

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

down with slavery posted:

i'm sorry but whining about student loan debt just makes you seem self-interested and quite frankly, it's a pretty stable situation at the moment

i dont have student loan debt and i think the whole situation with it is mad hosed up. what now?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I don't quite know how you can smarm about useless arts degrees and about how first-worlders are labor aristocrats simultaneously, but I guess it really is true that Yakub protects his misbegotten children.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

Actually, that isn't or shouldn't be the argument at all. Everyone is entitled to an education if they want it, if it results in them getting work placement great. If not, this is why you have something like a min income (or less desirably - a minimum wage) so that people can spend and drive demand in the economy.

Though it does help the economy to not have a bunch of people in debt.

I feel you and I think education makes life better for people, mostly.

But in a world of scarce resources, which is what we're dealing with, how do you justify investing money in something that won't pay off? Making the choice to short other priorities to fund this one IMO comes with an obligation to make the most of the money.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont have student loan debt and i think the whole situation with it is mad hosed up. what now?

i'm in the same boat but quite frankly I think there are more important priorities, like providing a living wage to working americans, housing the homeless, ramping up mental health support, UHC, drawdown of military action, etc

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

uh hang on uhhhh *flips through ice-burn rolodex* go listen to rage against the machine about it why dont you. really get into the music, like sing along with de la rocha in the car. just go all into that poo poo and have a good time. its good to cut loose.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

But in a world of scarce resources, which is what we're dealing with, how do you justify investing money in something you won't pay off? Making the choice to short other priorities to fund this one IMO comes with an obligation to make the most of the money.

What is the ROI on having children in the modern age? Human extinction now!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ahahahaha oh my god how have I never heard of this before.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

down with slavery posted:

believe it or not there are some things that are more important to deal with than your student loan debt

i'm not saying it isn't real, just that ensuring a living wage is provided for working americans is much more important, alongside a host of other issues

You're wrong but this is not the student loand thread so ok

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

wateroverfire posted:

But in a world of scarce resources, which is what we're dealing with, how do you justify investing money in something that won't pay off? Making the choice to short other priorities to fund this one IMO comes with an obligation to make the most of the money.

Presumably because other things will pay off, and not everything has to be revenue-neutral or turning a profit.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

What is the ROI on having children in the modern age? Human extinction now!

Post Count
Post Rate
13.19 per day

pretty good ROI for your parents there

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

wateroverfire posted:

The year is 2053. John T.'s alarm blares at 8AM. By 8:05AM he is working. His daily breakfast is delivered via pneumatic tube at his desk, consisting over carbohydrate disc and protein pudding. This will provide sustenance until company sanctioned mealtime begins at 12:30PM.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Post Count
Post Rate
13.19 per day

pretty good ROI for your parents there

:iceburn:

Please exit the forums Effectronica.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

Presumably because other things will pay off, and not everything has to be revenue-neutral or turning a profit.

It's about husbanding scarce resources. Even if it's a long term proposition, social spending should have some kind of return.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

It's about husbanding scarce resources. Even if it's a long term proposition, social spending should have some kind of return.

What is the return on investment for caring for disabled people?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Lotka Volterra posted:

Actually, that isn't or shouldn't be the argument at all. Everyone is entitled to an education if they want it

This is already the case though, you could use something like MIT open courseware to get a free education.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this guy posts on a loving forum. can you believe that poo poo. can you... man, i ran the numbers and the fail is just totally off the chart here. were talking care in the 75th percentile, maxed out salt concentration. its mind-blowing how mad this guy is, on a forum.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

wateroverfire posted:

Perhaps the return is a better educated populace more able to deal with the problems facing society and the world at-large. Instead of, you know, a populace that believes that science is evil

Typo posted:

This is already the case though, you could use something like MIT open courseware to get a free education.

lol yes, public libraries exist after all!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

how about the peace of mind knowing that your fellow countrymen aren't going to suffer(or at least that it will be minimized) because of things outside of their control

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

The year is 2053. John T.'s alarm blares at 8AM. By 8:05AM he is working. His daily breakfast is delivered via pneumatic tube at his desk, consisting over carbohydrate disc and protein pudding. This will provide sustenance until company sanctioned mealtime begins at 12:30PM.

Am I John T.'s boss? I think I've had this dream before.

edit:

It was a good dream.

But not one of those dreams.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 6, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

this guy posts on a loving forum. can you believe that poo poo. can you... man, i ran the numbers and the fail is just totally off the chart here. were talking care in the 75th percentile, maxed out salt concentration. its mind-blowing how mad this guy is, on a forum.

Please be nice to Geriatric Pirate, who takes twenty minutes to type out a sentence.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Effectronica posted:

What is the return on investment for caring for disabled people?

Inflated sense of superiority.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gravel Gravy posted:

Inflated sense of superiority.

Uh, that and three bucks gets you a coffee. I want cash for providing diabetics with insulin.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Effectronica posted:

Uh, that and three bucks gets you a coffee. I want cash for providing diabetics with insulin.

Have you checked their wallet?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

Perhaps the return is a better educated populace more able to deal with the problems facing society and the world at-large. Instead of, you know, a populace that believes that science is evil

The thing is, if your social spending doesn't pay back on some timescale you're literally less able to face problems with every new investment cycle than you could have been.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

The thing is, if your social spending doesn't pay back on some timescale you're literally less able to face problems with every new investment cycle than you could have been.

Agreed, no more care for the disabled. No more children. Nothing will be done that doesn't give you at least as much money as you spend on it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Lotka Volterra posted:

ikr, it's great isn't it

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

good point, lets start using disabled people as fuel

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Is there really still that silly assumption that we're dealing with scarce resources in the US? The amount of wealth in this country is staggering on a per capita basis. The real challenge is in enforcement and collection of taxes, which is mostly a political problem. It's certainly not that we're going to be uncompetitive. It's purely philosophical, not operational.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think this guy that tries to win arguments with faceless strangers by bragging about how much money he makes might have some er salient points about how to run a country and maybe also not be pathetic??

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

*in bizarro world where college is free in the US*

left-wing goons: It's so unfair how free education is a subsidy to corporations who don't have to spend money on training employees

is this actually said in places where college is free? I really doubt it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

before receiving any social benefit, a citizen must provide a business plan.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

Agreed, no more care for the disabled. No more children. Nothing will be done that doesn't give you at least as much money as you spend on it.

maybe there's a middle ground, a middle ground where we pay for things like education for kids and care for the disabled, but where we don't give you your disability checks just so you can post on the forums for 20 hours per day

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

synergise the means of production

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

is this actually said in places where college is free? I really doubt it

it's said in this thread about welfare benefits

(see: "welfare benefits are a subsidy to walmart because they keep their workers alive")

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

maybe there's a middle ground, a middle ground where we pay for things like education for kids and care for the disabled, but where we don't give you your disability checks just so you can post on the forums for 20 hours per day

Maybe we can find this middle ground by destroying the inferior white race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Geriatric Pirate posted:

its cheaper to house the "useless" and give them internet connections, food, water, medical care, etc than it is to deal with them when you push them on to the streets

• Locked thread