Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So the second event in the FA series is Hockenheim GP course. I set a Respectable 1 minute 29 second qualifying time which puts me on the pole. I skip to end of session and am now on second place. Because a simulated AI put in a 53 second lap time. The world record for that track in real life is 1 minute 13 seconds set in 2004. This simulated driver shaved 20 seconds off the world record. I'm kinda not happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

So the second event in the FA series is Hockenheim GP course. I set a Respectable 1 minute 29 second qualifying time which puts me on the pole. I skip to end of session and am now on second place. Because a simulated AI put in a 53 second lap time. The world record for that track in real life is 1 minute 13 seconds set in 2004. This simulated driver shaved 20 seconds off the world record. I'm kinda not happy.

loving lol yessss

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

that's crazy, sounds like a bug in the skipping. I'd like to see that lap, lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

cheesetriangles posted:

Step Your Game Up son

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
For you guys who've played it on the PC already, what can I expect with a GTX 970 and i5-4690k?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm here to give you the straight dope on the hardest car to drive in the game. The Formula A which I spent all morning driving with a controller while waiting for my ebay auction to end so I can get my wheel working again. The Formula A is a v8 F1 car based on the 2011 cars. It has DRS, KERS, and god drat near 1000 BHP. The thing is fast all the time and has poo poo tons of torque. You know the thing where you can spin F1 cars 180 degrees just by pushing the gas for half a second? You can totally do that with this one. I think this is the only car in the game I would say if you are racing with a controller it's okay to use assists. Even with assists on it can be a beast to handle at first but once you get maybe 20-30 minutes of practice you will come to love it. With assists on it felt just exactly right to race. If you gently caress up it will still spin out put you in a wall and make you meet the ghost of Senna. It pushes you just enough.

Then we get to the rest of the cars in the game. You don't need assists to drive them with a controller. Turn them off it will be fine. Maybe some of the classic F1 cars you might need them but I haven't tested. I was setting great times in a Formula C with a controller and no assists at all and it felt just like driving it with my wheel with no assists. The game controls just fine with a controller.

Also I decided to give the Formula A a try with a controller with no assists. The killer is low speed turns. You need to be real careful when you are going slow through high degree turns or you will spin out very easily. Some tracks don't have many of these and are easy to drive. Other tracks have nasty turns and you will be miserable when you first start. After about 20 minutes of trying I was really getting the hang of racing the FA without any assists but I don't think it will be for everyone.

Also does anyone want to race a Formula A race at Barcelona today online due to the Spanish GP being this weekend? PC version. If you do be warned I am going to turn on assists because I want to have a chance to win.

Heh, racing IndyCars at Laguna Beach in F5 with no assists was a favorite past time. Nothing like getting a high power open wheel car sideways.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

For you guys who've played it on the PC already, what can I expect with a GTX 970 and i5-4690k?

You should be fine. I push 3 displays with a 660ti / 3570k and it's good at medium/high settings.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

60 FPS unless its raining then it will tank.

Also figured out my fuel problem. If you set the session length to lower than 100% it will put fuel for that session as default and then when you raise it again it won't put more fuel in the car. So if you set it to 0% race length that's how I ended up with 99 liters of fuel. When I set the race to 100% (67 laps around the hock gp circuit) it didn't give me the fuel for that full race. I noticed this around lap 3 instead of lap 20 this time so progress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cool. Rain hits the fps by how much?

There's a good slapfight going on between a neogaf idiot and the actual SMS render developer. I feel for that guy having to deal with those morons.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041640&page=8

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Crossing my fingers for good results with my i5 2500k @ 4.4 and my 780ti.

Only playing at 1080, I assume I'm going to be okay.

Also Neogaf is awful.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Cool. Rain hits the fps by how much?

There's a good slapfight going on between a neogaf idiot and the actual SMS render developer. I feel for that guy having to deal with those morons.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041640&page=8

My 16 gb fast ddr 3, 4.3 ghz overclocked 3570k and 780 loses more than half the fps.

That is at all ultra settings pretty much. The ultra reflections is the real fps killer. Lowering those to high apparently makes it no where near as bad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

cheesetriangles posted:

My 16 gb fast ddr 3, 4.3 ghz overclocked 3570k and 780 loses more than half the fps.

That is at all ultra settings pretty much. The ultra reflections is the real fps killer. Lowering those to high apparently makes it no where near as bad.

And all the ultra reflection settings get is the tail lights on the street. Yea I could do without that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

yeah this is a good rig too. It's definitely going to be a game that you need to turn down settings to get locked 60 fps. 7950 is starting to feel a bit long toothed

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Endbuster posted:

Heh, racing IndyCars at Laguna Beach in F5 with no assists was a favorite past time. Nothing like getting a high power open wheel car sideways.

The lower power Formula C which is basically a Formula 3 car is easy as hell to drive with a controller and no assists. I haven't tried the Formula B but it is very close to the A so is probably a bitch as well.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

At Circuit de la sarthe at night in the rain with high reflections and 20 cars I get 40 fps once the pack spreads out. On ultra with the pack spread out I get low-mid 20's. During day/night races not in the rain I get solid 60.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm in the UK - which country can be used to unlock in before midnight via vpn?

Dusted off my Driving Force GT wheel for this.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They all unlock at the same time globally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is DriveClub's 30FPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9JgorUkWc This game is a technical achievement in all respects. 60fps would have been nice, but other then that the games graphics are perfect.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is DriveClub's 30FPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9JgorUkWc This game is a technical achievement in all respects. 60fps would have been nice, but other then that the games graphics are perfect.

nice graphics for bumper cars

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Thanks for giving me a full on chub at work.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

cheesetriangles posted:

They all unlock at the same time globally.

Unlocking early via vpn has gone the way of proper game manuals :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It's amazing how consistent it is. They should patch in the option to unlock the framerate, since it could probably run well above 30fps when there's no weather or opponents.

I can't wait to finally play Project CARS tomorrow morning. How's it been following this game's development for over four years?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars pulling off 40 cars in heavy rain above 30 fps is impressive. It's a shame that 60 FPS has become a benchmark for consoles. Driveclub has done a lot to prove an absolutely locked 30 is not an issue.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I tried messing with a F1 car setup to to see if I could make it better.

A: No

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I haven't gotten any word about getting the 50% coupon to purchase pCars on Steam, and I still have the game downloaded from when I joined as a Team Member. Should I uninstall it and see if it works? I'm assuming I should email SMS about the discount if nothing has come in yet.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think the coupon applies automatically when you go to check out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

I haven't gotten any word about getting the 50% coupon to purchase pCars on Steam, and I still have the game downloaded from when I joined as a Team Member. Should I uninstall it and see if it works? I'm assuming I should email SMS about the discount if nothing has come in yet.

If PCARS is still fully installed on your Steam account, then you have the full game and are good to play it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCLab posted their performance analysis a bit early. AMD cards are CPU bottlenecking at 30FPS on an overclocked Haswell i7 :stonk:

I believe AMD still don't properly support DX11s multi-threaded mode, which could account for the massive difference.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 6, 2015

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Will this run at all on the unlocked Intel Dual Core G3258 Anniversary? I saw quad core listed in the minimum requirements...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is there any mumble server in mind for this game?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

ethanol posted:

Is there any mumble server in mind for this game?

Ill post the star citizen mumble i always chill in when i get off work.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Camping the stairs?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been wanting something to supplant my Forza itch. However, the PC Gamer review says that the game does not play well with gamepad controllers. Is it any worse than, say, Grand Turismo or Forza with a pad?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't agree with PC Gamers statement on that. I've been trying it out with a PS4 controller and its been fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It may be very dependent on your settings. pc gamer could easily have hosed it up

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It controls just fine with a controller with or without assists.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I have been wanting something to supplant my Forza itch. However, the PC Gamer review says that the game does not play well with gamepad controllers. Is it any worse than, say, Grand Turismo or Forza with a pad?

I'll give it spin with my DS4 and Xbone controllers before i hook up my wheel tonight.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does this game have romance options?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Does this game have romance options?

if there's no lewis nico option im cancelling preorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008