Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

You filthy dance major poor, I make a thousand dollars a minute AND I am an actual god.

lol yah god of underwater basket weaving in a lovely creek, you Scamander motherfucker. i majored in primordial chaos and devoured my own sons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loving disabled people living high on the hog with their google searches and free email. Are we properly incentivizing disabled people from getting rid of their disabilities?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Sharkie posted:

I'm sorry you hate freedom.

And fun. I also hate fun.

Could def. score some weed in that crowd though so that's something.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

And fun. I also hate fun.

Could def. score some weed in that crowd though so that's something.

lol no you smell like a narc

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

I'm glad that you believe that knowledge is as essential to basic survival as food and shelter, but that's really not the case. I don't think that you'll find any progressives who argue that free education is an unfair corporate subsidy, so you're really just poorly trying to strawman

Ok, got you. So using tax money to give people a thing they need for survival and their job (food) is an unfair subsidy to companies, but giving people something they don't really need to survive but need for their job is not. Makes so much sense.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Disabled people should hold a walk a thin for charity

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

The resources expended to transmit knowledge are scarce, is what I'm getting at.

Not really. Maybe you can tell us which resources you think are so scarce that they prevent us from having free public education?

wateroverfire posted:

Unrelated but smelling tear gas in the air again because nearby students decided to march is not endearing me to education.

Gee I wonder why students in that part of the world are mad right now, hmm could that be because the police keep randomly executing students? Nah I'm sure they're just uppity liberals, I'm sure if the police were randomly executing wealthy conservatives no one would make a big deal over it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Ok, got you. So using tax money to give people a thing they need for survival and their job (food) is an unfair subsidy to companies, but giving people something they don't really need to survive but need for their job is not. Makes so much sense.

Which McDonalds franchise hires only college graduates? How many Walmart greeters are required to have Master's degrees?

You're really bad at this strawman thing

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

Which McDonalds franchise hires only college graduates? How many Walmart greeters are required to have Master's degrees?

You're really bad at this strawman thing

Oh, so it's ok to subsidize Microsoft and Apple but not Walmart or McDonald's.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Right, companies are expecting to pay enough money for people to survive while working at their job, but society is expected to pay for basic education costs, because any given individual will use those skills at potentially many companies. Training for skills specific to an individual company need to be paid by the company.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm completely self-taught as a historian by Google and my local library, which is how I know that the Holocaust never happened.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

Right, companies are expecting to pay enough money for people to survive while working at their job, but society is expected to pay for basic education costs, because any given individual will use those skills at potentially many companies. Training for skills specific to an individual company need to be paid by the company.

People might also use the skill of being alive at potentially many companies

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Not really. Maybe you can tell us which resources you think are so scarce that they prevent us from having free public education?

Gee I wonder why students in that part of the world are mad right now, hmm could that be because the police keep randomly executing students? Nah I'm sure they're just uppity liberals, I'm sure if the police were randomly executing wealthy conservatives no one would make a big deal over it

Wateroverfire is a Chilean right-winger and is therefore unable to conceive of public education without profit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Oh, so it's ok to subsidize Microsoft and Apple but not Walmart or McDonald's.

Well actually we'd be subsidizing Walmart and McDonalds too since they hire college grads, just not to work at the cash register

Furthermore, most progressives are in favor of a government-instituted mincome so your entire argument is standing on a foundation made of sand anyway

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

wateroverfire posted:

Unironically, public assistance should be more annoying than it has to be so that people have an incentive to better themselves.

Lol, this post is somehow better than his "i make so much money guys I swear" post.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I have to admit I am stymied every time someone in D&D goes "LOL you think resource scarcity is a thing" and am literally at a loss as to how to proceed. Maybe we have different meaning for scarcity. What do you have in mind by that term? I mean "we don't have unlimited resources and would have to shift resources from something else" rather than "we literally couldn't do this even if we really wanted to".

QuarkJets posted:

Uh I'm in Chile bro. You're mistaking us for other brown people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
uhh time is finite retard how are we supposed to educate everyone before the universe closes

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

People might also use the skill of being alive at potentially many companies
What? Your strawman has become to bizarre for me to parse anymore. Instead, you should go ahead and find someone who thinks that education subsidies are bad corporate welfare and argue with them.
edit:
I'm also not opposed to making food free if that helps you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

I have to admit I am stymied every time someone in D&D goes "LOL you think resource scarcity is a thing" and am literally at a loss as to how to proceed. Maybe we have different meaning for scarcity. What do you have in mind by that term? I mean "we don't have unlimited resources and would have to shift resources from something else" rather than "we literally couldn't do this even if we really wanted to".

Of course resources are scarce, but the only point in bringing up resource scarcity is if you're actually worried about the scarceness of particular resources. So which scarce resources are too scarce for us to have free education?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Wateroverfire is a Chilean right-winger and is therefore unable to conceive of public education without profit.

I'm kind of slightly left of center bro. I think we've all learned something valuable about you from your post.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

uhh time is finite retard how are we supposed to educate everyone before the universe closes

Tehre's only finite amounts of food, we can't possibly feed everyone. Opportunity cost!!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

He should be grateful that our public tax payer money paid to overthrow the Chilean government and put in a right wing junta.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

I'm kind of slightly left of center bro. I think we've all learned something valuable about you from your post.

im socially goku, and fiscally vegeta

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Oh for sure dude.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

I think everyone, from social liberals to communists, can probably agree "free public education" is feasible so maybe not.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Effectronica posted:

I'm completely self-taught as a historian by Google and my local library, which is how I know that the Holocaust never happened.

"No I don't have an accredited degree but I did read open source textbooks which is just as good! Wait why are you throwing my resume away"

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

What? Your strawman has become to bizarre for me to parse anymore. Instead, you should go ahead and find someone who thinks that education subsidies are bad corporate welfare and argue with them.
edit:
I'm also not opposed to making food free if that helps you.

it's not a strawman, people in this thread actually argued that welfare benefits are a subsidy to walmart because the government helps feed their workers

i'm failing to see how these same people wouldn't complain about free education being a subsidy to microsoft because the government helps educate their workers

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Of course resources are scarce, but the only point in bringing up resource scarcity is if you're actually worried about the scarceness of particular resources. So which scarce resources are too scarce for us to have free education?

This is also brain breaking to me. If resources are scarce, why would you not use them in a way that returns more resources so you can do more things next cycle? To do otherwise you are literally bleeding capability out of your system. IDGI.

Maybe we also disagree on what we mean by education. Like, do you mean people should be able to go to uni for free whenever to study whatever for however long they want or something like that?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I think everyone, from social liberals to communists, can probably agree "free public education" is feasible so maybe not.

It's not like public education requires alien technology or massive capital investments. Holographic whiteboards are nice and all, but you really just need a building, books, and qualified personnel trained in pedagogy.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Badger of Basra posted:

Doesn't live in Chile though.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

it's not a strawman, people in this thread actually argued that welfare benefits are a subsidy to walmart because the government helps feed their workers

i'm failing to see how these same people wouldn't complain about free education being a subsidy to microsoft because the government helps educate their workers
Right, and I explained that basic education skills are something that is transferable so why should we expect the first company that happens to hire them to pay that cost up front?
edit:
I mean where does this reasoning lead? Should the first company that hires someone be forced to back pay for their k-12 education? Obviously not.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 6, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You could have just said you're blind up front.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

yeah i cant parse basic concepts either

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

LOL yeah when you look at the numbers no it isn't.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Doesn't live in Chile though.

Yeah I do.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah I do.

oh word when did you get your phd in educational policy?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its being called a subsidy because walmart is able to pay their workers unsustainably low wages, that do not meet basic day-to-day needs. the cost of things like food is then being passed onto the taxpayer.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah I do.

Just get to the part where you squeal like a castrated pig about the mothershitting liberal arts again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

This is also brain breaking to me. If resources are scarce, why would you not use them in a way that returns more resources so you can do more things next cycle? To do otherwise you are literally bleeding capability out of your system. IDGI.

Most economists agree that free public education pays for itself, it's actually one of the best investments that you can make with public resources.

Investing in ideas that have a positive ROI is brain-breaking to you?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

oh word when did you get your phd in educational policy?

I became numerate and tbh have found that much more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Most economists agree that free public education pays for itself, it's actually one of the best investments that you can make with public resources.

This seems like Citation Needed if ever the phrase applied.

• Locked thread