Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks for the replies all, I've written them down and am going to start looking through them to pick up.

Thanks for the great reply dude, especially because my question was really vague because of the group that we have and me not really being sure on how or where to start when buying board games.

I might look into Galaxy Trucker first because our group is loving Space Alert and a couple of them who hadn't played (many) board games before were surprised how nuts it was, so another frantic game sounds like something they might enjoy because they've been really enjoying our get boardgame get togethers. :) I'll check out Kemet too but I'm not sure how some members of our group will get along with it. Quite a few of my other mates own Dominion so I'll try it with them as I've been meaning to try it for a while.

I'd played Space Alert once before picking it up so learning it hasn't been too bad, by the sounds of it though I've hit the peak of co-op games. It sounds like Vlaada Chvátil hammers out some seriously amazing games.

Yeah, he does. Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz are great worker placement games by him as well. Almost everything he's made is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

unpronounceable posted:

I think it got missed when I asked before, but how do people feel about Eminent Domain compared to other role selection games, like Race, or Glory to Rome? I can appreciate how it does something completely different to Dominion for deck building, but does the deckbuilding add much to role selection over strict hand management/tableau building?

In short, yes. I'm sure someone with better words can explain it better, but I think that it sits solidly with those two. It isn't as chaotic and glorious as Glory to Rome and it isn't as elegant as Race (everything is cards? great!) but you feel like you're playing a bit more of a 4X than when you play Race and since it isn't as easy to follow people as in GtR you have to plan more. In GtR you can probably follow most people in a single go-around (except the turn you have to Think to get more cards), but in Eminent Domain you have to plan your hand in advance because it is rare that you will be able to meaningfully follow everyone before it gets back to you.

Any way you slice it, these three games are all in my top 10.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

I think it got missed when I asked before, but how do people feel about Eminent Domain compared to other role selection games, like Race, or Glory to Rome? I can appreciate how it does something completely different to Dominion for deck building, but does the deckbuilding add much to role selection over strict hand management/tableau building?

I like 'em all. From the perspective of someone who likes role selection games, they are all worth playing. I'd say Eminent Domain feels slightly different than Race/GtR just like those two feel different from one another.

The 'following' mechanisms are all different enough to make them interesting and not samey. In ED, it feels like it's more important to dump your hand since each turn cycle you get a full draw at the end of a turn. Also, you can't petition or follow for free like in GtR and Race so you need to build a good hand to benefit. It would be like GtR if you always got to think at the end of your turn, could discard as many cards as you wanted before thinking, and didn't have to have patrons to use cards in hand to follow, but couldn't petition and built your deck via deckbuilding.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does Race or Roll for the Galaxy work better with 2 players as opposed to more? Are they the same in that regard?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Does Race or Roll for the Galaxy work better with 2 players as opposed to more? Are they the same in that regard?

I've played a lot more of Race. I definitely prefer Race with 2 players and probably 3 - it seems to have more tactical role selection there. Roll might be better with 4-5 but I'm not sure yet.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
2 player Race is really good.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

2 player roll is good - you roll a white die for a phase that will happen in addition to what players select. Of course, this adds variance, but also some interesting strategy, as you can take risks on it rolling certain phases.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Roll is good but Race is great with 2. Roll I played with 5 once and didn't like it. Exploration drags it down and most of the actions get called so it doesn't feel as important to guess what your opponents are doing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have the opportunity of grabbing the base Dungeon Lords for 10€ or so. How does the game work with 2 players? Are the expansions necessary?

Not that the answers are going to matter much at that price, but I like to be informed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fat Samurai posted:

I have the opportunity of grabbing the base Dungeon Lords for 10€ or so. How does the game work with 2 players? Are the expansions necessary?

Not that the answers are going to matter much at that price, but I like to be informed.

Two players can be pretty cutthroat, since in addition to your own actions you also control a dummy player with the primary purpose of loving with your opponent. Overall its not quite as good as it is with 4 players though.

Expansions aren't really necessary, the base game is plenty fun (especially at that price).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't usually recommend the expansion for people starting out with the game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, it definitely doesn't matter at that price; get it, play it, if you got two plays in 2p you got your money's worth, and it's a game that can stand many repeated plays.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fat Samurai posted:

Jump on that immediately.

The expansion is your standard Vlaada expansion: very good, not necessary, there to make the game harder once you get too complacent.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

But once you're played with the expansion, the base game can be kinda boring due to lack of options you're grown used to.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fat Samurai posted:

Buy it! One of my favorite games.

Worse case scenario you could probably resell it for more than that, but if you like Vlaada games and/or worker placement you should like Dungeon Lords.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Game's not as good with 2 as four but yeah but it immediately

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks for the replies all, I've written them down and am going to start looking through them to pick up.

Thanks for the great reply dude, especially because my question was really vague because of the group that we have and me not really being sure on how or where to start when buying board games.

I might look into Galaxy Trucker first because our group is loving Space Alert and a couple of them who hadn't played (many) board games before were surprised how nuts it was, so another frantic game sounds like something they might enjoy because they've been really enjoying our get boardgame get togethers. :) I'll check out Kemet too but I'm not sure how some members of our group will get along with it. Quite a few of my other mates own Dominion so I'll try it with them as I've been meaning to try it for a while.

I'd played Space Alert once before picking it up so learning it hasn't been too bad, by the sounds of it though I've hit the peak of co-op games. It sounds like Vlaada Chvátil hammers out some seriously amazing games.

no problem dude, i love spouting off. yeah, galaxy trucker's loving fantastic, one of the most unique games out there. if you've got an iOS dingus, they just released a really nice app for the game, good way to get a trial version before you buy it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Well, apparently when someone says that they are selling the base box they mean they are literally selling the box. Empty. What's the point of this? Impressing my friends with my taste in boardgames? :psyduck:

Thanks for the answers. Now I want to buy the game...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, apparently when someone says that they are selling the base box they mean they are literally selling the box. Empty. What's the point of this? Impressing my friends with my taste in boardgames? :psyduck:

Because he put it in the expansion box maybe? I just give my boxes to a friend who decorates his game dungeon with them :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

djfooboo posted:

Because he put it in the expansion box maybe? I just give my boxes to a friend who decorates his game dungeon with them :)
He probably did what I did, which is get Dungeon Lords and Festival Season separately and then get on the kickstarter with the option to just get the box + extra stuff to upgrade your base game and expansion to the Anniversary Edition. I also have a free box lying around.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fat Samurai posted:

Probably got the anniversary edition box with the expansions and extras.

Pretty sure that was a tier.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I can understand ending up with an empty box, and I can understand trying to make money out of anything. What I have problems with is buying an empty box. :v:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's funny because I got the wooden box with the anniversary edition KS, but it's so nice I don't actually want to take it anywhere, so I ended up just holding onto old DL+Festival Season to take around anyways.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

lmao

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Fat Samurai posted:

I can understand ending up with an empty box, and I can understand trying to make money out of anything. What I have problems with is buying an empty box. :v:

Its useful if you are clumsy and tear a big hole in your box like I did :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Some good news for us Dominion players. I'm really looking forward to the open beta.

(Yes we know that when Goku first launched it didn't protect passwords, no need to mention it yet again).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Its useful if you are clumsy and tear a big hole in your box like I did :(

My box was destroyed because of cat-related reasons and now I just tetris the entire thing into the tiny Festival Season box. It's quite... dense.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lorini posted:

Some good news for us Dominion players. I'm really looking forward to the open beta.

(Yes we know that when Goku first launched it didn't protect passwords, no need to mention it yet again).

This is a completely different developer, right?

A good version of Dominion on iPhone would get me to pay for digital expansions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah completely different guys.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fungah! posted:

no problem dude, i love spouting off. yeah, galaxy trucker's loving fantastic, one of the most unique games out there. if you've got an iOS dingus, they just released a really nice app for the game, good way to get a trial version before you buy it

Galaxy Trucker's been ported to every platform now, so you can find it in the play store, amazon app store etc. No matter what device you have you should be able to get it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Played Viticulture again last night, after we picked turn order for the first year, one of the players, whose played 2 or 3 times now but keeps asking "what should I do now?" decided there were two many choices and ragequit.

Still trying to get a finger on him as a player. I don't think he likes playing games, he just likes solving them and winning them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Too many choices... in... Viticulture?!

There are like 3 choices in Viticulture. Even our MASSIVELY AP guy can play Viticulture fast.

I think your friend just doesn't like fun.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FISHMANPET posted:

Played Viticulture again last night, after we picked turn order for the first year, one of the players, whose played 2 or 3 times now but keeps asking "what should I do now?" decided there were two many choices and ragequit.

Still trying to get a finger on him as a player. I don't think he likes playing games, he just likes solving them and winning them.

Your friend sounds like a tool, sorry. Normal people get annoyed when there are too few choices, or the choices are effectively meaningless and everything is actually based on luck.

Is he one of those people that can only be satisfied if he feels like he's beating the system somehow? Like my girlfriend's friend with the fake degree who quit developing software, because it was too mundane, to try flipping houses, then quit that and is probably going to jail on drug charges?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

FISHMANPET posted:

If he liked solving it, he'd solve it himself and stop asking you guys. Sounds more like he wants to be hand-held through to victory.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
He loves Domionion, but only because he's played thousands of games and has basically solved it. I hate Dominon playing with him, and find it enjoyable playing without him. But basically yeah, kind of a tool. I tried to bring Steam to the group and I'm not sure how other people felt about it, but he kept torpedoing and ruining the game for everyone rather than just saying "I'd rather not play this."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

FISHMANPET posted:

He loves Domionion, but only because he's played thousands of games and has basically solved it. I hate Dominon playing with him, and find it enjoyable playing without him. But basically yeah, kind of a tool. I tried to bring Steam to the group and I'm not sure how other people felt about it, but he kept torpedoing and ruining the game for everyone rather than just saying "I'd rather not play this."
Yeah, sounds like he just wants to win games, not play them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Winning games is the poo poo.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

thespaceinvader posted:

I think your friend just doesn't like fun.

That reminds me, I just wrote a thing about the thread's favourite word

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok so in Pictomania it says that

"The player who made the most incorrect guesses is the
black sheep for this round. If the black sheep has taken a bonus point
token, that player loses 1 point for each star on that token. "

So if you take the +3 bonus token, and you are the black sheep, do you just end up with 0 points or -3 points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elysium posted:

Ok so in Pictomania it says that

"The player who made the most incorrect guesses is the
black sheep for this round. If the black sheep has taken a bonus point
token, that player loses 1 point for each star on that token. "

So if you take the +3 bonus token, and you are the black sheep, do you just end up with 0 points or -3 points?

-3, it's a risk reward thing.

Well, plus whatever points for guesses you got right, of course.