Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, when a man has seen everything, I mean, really seen it all, then what else is left for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

Patrick Stewart was in Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return. Nothing is beneath him anymore.

That's VO work, this requires actual effort. :psyduck:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That's VO work, this requires actual effort. :psyduck:

Patrick Stewart, a man known for his impeccable taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX-SYhzfaf0

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, when a man has seen everything, I mean, really seen it all, then what else is left for him?

Nice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Stewart has never been too picky. Most British actors aren't.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember a vhs cover of a movie kinda similar, but it was just a black dude with a white girl, possibly in a grassy field holding hands and looking directly at the camera. I can't think of the name of the movie for the life of me. Anyone have any clue?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Freud posted:

Only issue is it seems it's too concerned about being realistic: outside of Killer Croc, Deadshot, Harley, and Katana, I can't exactly recognize what the gimmick of the character is. In fact, I think the two most comic book looking is Croc, because he's a giant mutant, and Deadshot (who I know shows up in his white mask with reticle eyepiece) because, unlike Flagg and despite his armor being the Rock's hand-me downs from the second G.I. Joe movie, he's got guns and ammo everywhere. He's this close to becoming a Leifeld character, which is appropriate.

Although, I do admire the nods it has to modern style.

Can you honestly not figure out what Captain Boomerang's gimmick is? Although I agree with the point of "who the gently caress are Rick Flagg and Slipknot?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rick Flag has no gimmick. He's just a soldier.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Daredevil series on Netflix is :krad: on its own, but the more I read about it the more I love it because it's like a case study in how to make goofy silver-age comic book bullshit gritty and grounded in a way that fans will recognize but doesn't harm the actual overall product. Case in point:

In the old Daredevil comics one of his nemeses was a guy named Tenpin who fought Daredevil using bowling-themed attacks.

Episode 3 of the Netflix series opens with a guy named Healy (which is Tenpin's real name) beating a dude to death in a bowling alley using a bowling ball to deliver the coup de grace.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

ruddiger posted:

I remember a vhs cover of a movie kinda similar, but it was just a black dude with a white girl, possibly in a grassy field holding hands and looking directly at the camera. I can't think of the name of the movie for the life of me. Anyone have any clue?

?

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Sleeveless posted:

The Daredevil series on Netflix is :krad: on its own, but the more I read about it the more I love it because it's like a case study in how to make goofy silver-age comic book bullshit gritty and grounded in a way that fans will recognize but doesn't harm the actual overall product. Case in point:

In the old Daredevil comics one of his nemeses was a guy named Tenpin who fought Daredevil using bowling-themed attacks.

Episode 3 of the Netflix series opens with a guy named Healy (which is Tenpin's real name) beating a dude to death in a bowling alley using a bowling ball to deliver the coup de grace.

"Matt B. Rugh is a serial killer who murdered dozens of elderly by smothering them with his trademark weapon; a colourful quilt blanket."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of Marvel superheroes.

And here are some DC heroes.

Rainbow Raider, by the way, was in a Flash episode using the character's real name "Roy G. Bivolo".

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The MSJ posted:

Interesting they used Guardians and not Avengers/Avengers 2. Unless they're trying to make a link to a somewhat quirky movie that falls outside the realm of the Avengers stuff

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Michael Pena and Bobby Cannavalle, eh? Man it's too bad this movie is gonna suck.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Harlock posted:

Interesting they used Guardians and not Avengers/Avengers 2. Unless they're trying to make a link to a somewhat quirky movie that falls outside the realm of the Avengers stuff

kiimo posted:

The last three campaigns I worked on the client mentioned GOTG no less than 20 times, minimum. This town is obsessed with that campaign and shoehorning dumb replacement cues to be the next Spirit In The Sky or Hooked On A Feeling.

Edit: also if you say Avengers he looks like a cheap knock-off Iron Man instead of another Star Lord.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Michael Pena and Bobby Cannavalle, eh? Man it's too bad this movie is gonna suck.

I'm unapologetically on-board with the MCU and have been for years, but yeah Ant-Man is going to be their first major critical and possibly box-office bomb.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, I think. I mean, it's got to be, but that year doesn't seem right at all. I could've sworn I saw the box for this when I was super young, but IMDB's telling me this came out in 1999, when I was already in college, so the timeline doesn't quite match, but then again, 1999 was a long rear end time ago too, so who the hell knows.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

The MSJ posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Michael Peña's head isn't shaped that way in real life.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

MrBling posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Michael Peña's head isn't shaped that way in real life.

Jesus christ I just noticed that and burst out laughing. It's amazing that Ant-Man is probably the one character/movie they could get really imaginative and creative with, at least with the poster and this is the best they could do? It is a good example of the "everything must look the same, no imagination or original ideas allowed" -plan they just have to stick to.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MrBling posted:

Pena
Her litle head clinking
Like a barrel of red velvet balls
Full past noise
Treats filled her eyes
Turning them yellow like enamel coated tacks
Soft like butter hard not to pour
Out enjoying the sun while sitting on a turned on waffle iron
Smoke billowing up from between her legs
Made me vomit beautifully
And crush a chandelier

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Skwirl posted:

Can you honestly not figure out what Captain Boomerang's gimmick is? Although I agree with the point of "who the gently caress are Rick Flagg and Slipknot?"

Slipknot is a rope guy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kush posted:

Jesus christ I just noticed that and burst out laughing. It's amazing that Ant-Man is probably the one character/movie they could get really imaginative and creative with, at least with the poster and this is the best they could do? It is a good example of the "everything must look the same, no imagination or original ideas allowed" -plan they just have to stick to.

The teaser poster was solid and it looks awesome at large size in a theater:

Marvel tends to do these awful "floating head" posters for the main release cause it's what the marketing/bean counter people tell them will sell. It's not that big a deal in the end cause better posters almost always end up coming out unless you're that weird guy who has to display his blu-rays face out.

Kurtofan posted:

Slipknot is a rope guy.

He and El Diablo are guaran-loving-teed to die. One to prove how deadly serious the missions/program are early on, and another as some sort-of sacrifice.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

The MSJ posted:

I like the little Ant Man on the Marvel font. That's about it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I remember them making a suicide squad animated movie and one of the dudes died right away.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Isn't it obvious what the gimmick to a guy named Rick Flagg is though?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I know nothing about Suicide Squad but that cast poster is laughable and Will Smith looks like he wants out of there as quickly as possible.

Also good job making a character who is supposed to be a giant, insane crocodile monster less intimidating than a black dude in a comically tiny hat.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Isn't it obvious what the gimmick to a guy named Rick Flagg is though?

Unless they added one to him for the movie he doesn't have one. He's not a supervillian but the military officer assigned to lead the Suicide Squad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And he only has one G in his name.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Thomamelas posted:

He's not a supervillian but the military officer assigned to lead the Suicide Squad.

In the comic and cartoons he volunteered because he saw it as his patriotic duty.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I was undecided for a while, but saw the newest trailer that was attached to Avengers 2, and yeah it does look pretty bad. Reminds me of Iron Man but without the lightning in a bottle casting of RDJ.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was undecided for a while, but saw the newest trailer that was attached to Avengers 2, and yeah it does look pretty bad. Reminds me of Iron Man but without the lightning in a bottle casting of RDJ.

The casting is fantastic. The movie itself does not look that hot.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah the casting is insanely good for an Ant-Man movie. Like other posters, I mostly worry about how it will pull off the Edgar Wright feel without Edgar Wright.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The casting is fantastic. The movie itself does not look that hot.

I was referring to the lead. Paul Rudd (I like the guy) is just nothing compared to RDJ. I think the rest of the cast is great. Based on the trailer I also think it will have similar plot beats similar to Iron Man, which I guess you can't avoid in an origin story movie. That's my main gripe.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 6, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was referring to the lead. Paul Rudd (I like the guy) is just nothing compared to RDJ. I think the rest of the cast is great. Based on the trailer I also think it will have similar plot beats similar to Iron Man, which I guess you can't avoid in an origin story movie. That's my main gripe.

I don't think he's really being cast to be RDJ but the problem is, like you say, the bland origin story must be told with the Iron Man 1 beats again and again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yodzilla posted:

Also good job making a character who is supposed to be a giant, insane crocodile monster less intimidating than a black dude in a comically tiny hat.

Eh, Croc's persona changes with whomever's writing/drawing him. Sometimes he's like an eight foot tall monster, or others he's just a bruiser with a bad skin condition (which is how he started, I believe). It's like Bane. Sometimes he's drawn to be slightly larger than Bats, and other times he's like seven feet tall (and that's before the Venom injection).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Rick Flag is a mentally unstable black ops soldier that works for the government and often leads various Suicide Squads.

Slipknot is a fairly minor rope-themed supervillain.

Davros1 posted:

Eh, Croc's persona changes with whomever's writing/drawing him. Sometimes he's like an eight foot tall monster, or others he's just a bruiser with a bad skin condition (which is how he started, I believe). It's like Bane. Sometimes he's drawn to be slightly larger than Bats, and other times he's like seven feet tall (and that's before the Venom injection).

Case in point Brian Azarrello's Joker, in which he's the muscle of Joker's gang, who gets rid of dead bodies by eating them. I think that's more-or-less how he appeared in the Gotham Knight animated shorts as well.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 6, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Tier-lists of rope-based supervilains.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Phillip introduces his lover to shibari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The MSJ posted:

I'm glad that Marvel is finally making the Kamen Rider movie we deserve.