Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TNG posted:

I think I'm interested in Secret Wars because it will allow a lot of different creators the chance to tell interesting stories with lots and lots of alternate versions of mostly static characters. It's like 4 months of What-Ifs? and Elseworlds. M.O.D.O.K. is going to be a fixture in like 4 books for God's sake!

Yeah I'm really excited for The Agwengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The movie talk seems mostly like nonsense to me. The facts Xavier died 10 times, Metoxo the Lava Man never showed up, Thanos had an helicopter, Carol Danvers had a super lovely rape story or Spider-Man had a terrible armor have zero bearing on current continuity and don't need to be erased. They aren't a hindrance to moviegoers. Marvel has always worked with status quo (not continuity) resets acting as jumping points. A complete reset wouldn't achieve more.

I don't see them putting the X-Men outside of a main continuity either, there was talk about that. Cyclops is front and center right now. I understand trying to not introduce too many new mutants, but X-books aren't going away.

So yeah, the biggest issue is getting rid of the Ultimate line as it has really no specificity right now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Thanos-copter was not from the 616 universe sadly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

I hope that Thanos takes over Ultimate Reed's lifeboat and turns it into the new Thanoscopter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope that Thanos takes over Ultimate Reed's lifeboat and turns it into the new Thanoscopter.

We also need The Wall to be brought over!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

It is according to Deadpool!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

We also need The Wall to be brought over!

Brother

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

SirDan3k posted:

Okay, now this is deeply unsettling. Day ruined.

I second the motion to make the Ultimate ark the new Thanoscopter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

io9 has a write up about the tie-ins that goes a bit more in depth than the solicits.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It just hit me for all of U. Reed's big talk, his ultimate plan basically consisted of sending in SHIELD as cannon fodder so they could buy him enough time to launch his own version of the liferaft, who's plans he presumably copied 616 when he was using his machine to peer into our universe. Bravo Reed!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I didn't notice that he had a life raft of his own, and was thinking he did all that just to show everyone there how much better he is than them.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It was easy to miss in a small panel layout, but as the 616 raft launched from the Baxter Building another one launched simultaneously from the shaft that opened up in the City that the Children's fleet came from.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Marvel Universe 1961-2015
Ultimate Universe 2000-2015

Yeah RIP.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Christ almighty, this is one of the most obnoxious fluff pieces I've ever read.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

PelvicNerve posted:

So yeah, the biggest issue is getting rid of the Ultimate line as it has really no specificity right now.

Yeah, that's something DC never seemed to understand. The best way to get rid of overstuffed, contradictory continuity is to not talk about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I got from Cyclops in #1 was for all his posturing and ostensible regret over the death of Xavier, as well as his denial of causing it, he really loves having the Phoenix Force.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Future Imperfect, written by Peter David
Hell yeah!

quote:

and illustrated by Greg Land.
Oh fuuuuuuuuck

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 6, 2015

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

SynthOrange posted:

Hell yeah!

Oh fuuuuuuuuck
Don't be a hater, he might be able to trace a mean Perez.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Greg Land drawing a book without normal people in it is kind of the perfect place for him. Like when he was forced to draw The Watcher in Mighty Avengers it looked fine. Stick him on a book with a bunch of robot people or weird aliens.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm convinced that's why Kieron Gillen made a bunch of the characters in his iron man run robots or bizarre aliens.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Greg Land drawing a book without normal people in it is kind of the perfect place for him. Like when he was forced to draw The Watcher in Mighty Avengers it looked fine. Stick him on a book with a bunch of robot people or weird aliens.

Even him drawing Spider-Man isn't that bad, it's just when you get human faces or women is when it becomes unbearable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Punisher crashing Fisk's End of the World party was pretty great.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TNG posted:

I think for something that represents the future, the Children are pretty bland, unimaginative, and down to earth.

I don't really disagree but man, that's a perfect username/post combo right there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think that was kind of the point though as by the time they opened the dome they were basically cogs in Reed's machine. Like how nobody had names anymore, they were just called their function in the City.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Crazy. Are we to assume everyone who wasn't shown getting put on the boats is gone? Or is it expected to see a few pop up randomly?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Thanks for posting this. It kind of helped me decide what series I want to read and what I'll skip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt that missing Thor Corps?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Honestly, I was a little disappointed Cyclops just took the Phoenix Force on himself again 'cuz I was kinda hoping to see it rightfully returned to Jean one more time before the end. But that probably would've been impossible to pull off in an issue, on top of being pretty much irrelevant to the proceedings anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Crazy. Are we to assume everyone who wasn't shown getting put on the boats is gone? Or is it expected to see a few pop up randomly?

Everyone is dead.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Everyone not on the boats died but will come back at a certain point in the story, likely through Doom or Phoenix.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vegeta dentata posted:

Everyone not on the boats died but will come back at a certain point in the story, likely through Doom or Phoenix.

:gaz:
Doom Toot to resurrect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I loved Kingpin's "hahah, we're all gonna die because the good guys suck!" party. It was the perfect petty villain thing to do.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SynthOrange posted:

Thors is part of the Battlegrounds branding. That link only has the Warzones books.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

http://observationdeck.io9.com/inside-secret-wars-a-look-at-the-battleworld-books-1701934467

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

hope and vaseline posted:

It was easy to miss in a small panel layout, but as the 616 raft launched from the Baxter Building another one launched simultaneously from the shaft that opened up in the City that the Children's fleet came from.

Yeah this was hard to figure out, I didn't put it together until a 3rd or 4th read through.

I'm a bit behind on the vagaries of X-books, but why does Cyclops have Sentinels?

Also agreeing that it's bullshit that Black Bolt got taken down by some random Children of Tomorrow mook. He's been shown frying cosmic level threats and some goon just drops him? Cop out.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 7, 2015

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm a bit confused on this. Battleworld is just one planet and only very few regions are outright locked off from the rest, right? So there are like ten different kinds of New York city and somebody out there has to deal with the annoyance of living next to ALL the spider-mans and/or hulks?

Is that correct?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Thors is part of the Battlegrounds branding. That link only has the Warzones books.

Okay I'm a little out of the loop on what the sublines mean. Whats the difference between the two?

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm a bit behind on the vagaries of X-books, but why does Cyclops have Sentinels?

Someone speculated that this is the resolution to everything Bendis has done with the X-men. He's doing a big finale for Uncanny 600. Hickman potentially spoiled it with the Nation X reveal.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I read the first issue. So far I just wondered if my 5 bucks would have been better spent on getting rid of my dumb red text avatar or grabbing some iPad games. It was just a giant info dump with lots of explosions and heel turn Ultimate Reed doing a thing as if to remind us how he is only slightly bigger of a douche than 616 Reed usually is except in this issue where he looks like he wants to go Peter David era Aquaman at least in looking like a cool old guy and maybe lost loved ones or something.

I've only been reading a handful of Marvel lately and so far this is saying HEY SO GLAD YOU GOT INTO STAR LORD AND ROCKET RACCOON, SO gently caress YOU IT DIDN'T MATTER YOU IDIOT.

Also kind of see Miles Morales Spidey and All New Ultimates. On the upside getting 16 bucks a month back on comics is good.
(I don't think Howard the Duck or Squirrel Girl are gonna much feature or matter at all.)

I'm not going to bother with the supplemental stuff because Black Vortex taught me not to like I should have already learned from Civil War. Course if I followed that I wouldn't have bought SW 1 either.. ( yet oddly for Convergence I am only buying the micro series involving characters I like and ignoring the main event.. Opposite Day I guess?)

I dunno. I just didn't care for it and had barely any loving clue what was going on. Only good thing was a couple of Rocket quips, Reed's epic beard, and Ultimate Tony hitting on someone he was fighting presumably to save his world and destroy hers.

I will give it another issue or two but if it keeps being eh it ain't worth my 5 bucks. Especially not when good funny books like Afterlife With Archie are out.

I'd rather not see Shadowcats of two universes both get ruined from happy endings because of stupid event comic. And we could have had a fun Kitty and Star Lord book and had fun space adventures with newlyweds but guess that isn't meant to be... :doom:

Edit: a few of the Battleworld minis look cool if they are 4 bucks. But I am a sucker for the Age of Apocalypse and X Babies so yeah. I kind of hope they are 5 so I can skip and maybe just get the trades on Amazon in a year if I don't forget which I will.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Okay I'm a little out of the loop on what the sublines mean. Whats the difference between the two?
This would be good OP information:
(cribbed from Marvel's site)

"Last Days" will show several characters from Captain America and Ms. Marvel to Loki and Magneto in their final adventures before the Marvel Universe comes to an end in Secret Wars. They will expand on moments either briefly seen or not glimpsed at all in the main SECRET WARS series, allowing one last look at the past before the Marvel Universe moves forward.

"Warzones" takes place on the patchwork planet of Battleworld, but follows stories with more separation from the main SECRET WARS while providing building blocks for the future of the Marvel Universe.

"Battleworld" will be concerned with the infrastructure of the Battleworld as a whole. You'll see your favorite heroes and villains take on unfamiliar roles as well as revisit classic incarnations. Battleworld series contain stories that will directly affect the main story taking place in SECRET WARS and characters who will play a part in the larger event.

• Locked thread