Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

You mean steel? The black/black sport is pretty dark, I think the black band probably makes it look darker though.

Yeah, steel is what I meant, I haven't had any coffee yet this morning. But that was the only model they explicitly called out as "black," which had me wondering about the sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kitten smoothie posted:

Is the black/black sport model really black? It looks dark in the picture, but they call the color space gray, and I know my space gray iPhone/iPad don't look that dark in real life.

It's gray. Although with the black screen it looks more like an accent color.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gotcha. That seems darker than my iPhone does but I guess it's just an optical illusion because of all the black around it. Either way, looks nice.

I was sort of hoping for the black aluminum like the iPhone 5 had, but I'll grant that for a lot of people it seemed to have worn terribly and looked like trash after a year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, it's definitely darker than iPhone Space Grey. Not as dark as Slate Grey.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
My watch came! I don't think it looks too small at 38 mm.

The only thing I don't like is the classic buckle fits my wrist at the fourth hole from the end.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Is that a lefty with the watch? How is using the crown and whatnot with the screen flipped?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Is that a lefty with the watch? How is using the crown and whatnot with the screen flipped?

It is nice actually, I think the crown actually makes sense as the lower interaction button. The setup was a breeze, I was prompted when pairing the watch how I wanted to wear it. It makes way more sense to me than the right handed version for righties.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
That's really good to hear - thanks!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dirk Pitt posted:

It is nice actually, I think the crown actually makes sense as the lower interaction button. The setup was a breeze, I was prompted when pairing the watch how I wanted to wear it. It makes way more sense to me than the right handed version for righties.

Agreed. I still think it looks a big weird on the bottom but from a usability standpoint I think it works better than having it on the top.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Has anyone with a milanese on order got a shipping update? I was late to the party ordering and all I have listed is "June."

I ordered one at midnight and got it on the 24th.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The crown looks crooked

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The crown looks crooked

Reflections!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

My watch came! I don't think it looks too small at 38 mm.

The only thing I don't like is the classic buckle fits my wrist at the fourth hole from the end.
Well if it bugs you enough you can swap in a standard watch strap with those lugs too:

http://youtu.be/G4m0EzQ9ziA

(Probably can at least, I'm not sure how the width of the 38mm lugs compare to normal watch straps)

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
As a lefty who has always worn a watch on my left wrist, am I dumb to wear a smart watch on my left? I'm retarded when it comes to right hand coordination, but I don't think I'm THAT retarded where using my right hand for controlling the watch with my right hand is going to hinder anything other than drawing dicks to people.
For reference I use a mouse with my right hand.

EpicNemesis fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 7, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

EpicNemesis posted:

As a left who has always worn a watch on my left wrist, am I dumb to wear a smart watch on my left? I'm retarded when it comes to right hand coordination, but I don't think I'm THAT retarded where using my right hand for controlling the watch with my right hand is going to hinder anything other than drawing dicks to people.
I'm a left/left weirdo and can't imagine it being an issue.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

EpicNemesis posted:

As a lefty who has always worn a watch on my left wrist, am I dumb to wear a smart watch on my left? I'm retarded when it comes to right hand coordination, but I don't think I'm THAT retarded where using my right hand for controlling the watch with my right hand is going to hinder anything other than drawing dicks to people.

Holy poo poo, are you me? I could've written this.

I've had my worn-on-the-left Apple watch for a week now, and it's going great. My dick picture legibility hasn't suffered too much, and I basically can't fathom wearing a watch on my other hand, so all's well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just learn to draw a dick with your nose. Or your dick.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

loving soon

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What? Also that's the wrong size band.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What? Also that's the wrong size band.

Yeah first thing I noticed too. 42 mm band on a 38 mm watch?

Edit: oh, black band arrived before your actual watch did, so that's it on your wife's watch?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

monkeu posted:

Yeah first thing I noticed too. 42 mm band on a 38 mm watch?

Edit: oh, black band arrived before your actual watch did, so that's it on your wife's watch?

Yeah I guess I wasn't very clear but very good deducing.

All of the bands click into place properly, just with over or under hang. I wonder how bad or not a 38mm band would look on a 42mm watch.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 8, 2015

corsair
Jan 10, 2001
So for those that have it already, what is the general consensus and how big is the watch itself in person, relative to a "normal" watch? Looking at the pictures, I think the 42 seems a little big for me.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

corsair posted:

So for those that have it already, what is the general consensus and how big is the watch itself in person, relative to a "normal" watch? Looking at the pictures, I think the 42 seems a little big for me.

The best thing you can do is schedule a try-on, at this point you can basically schedule one with 15-30 minutes lead time. I thought the 42mm was way smaller than I was expecting it to be on my actual wrist. Most mens watches are 40mm-ish, including the watch I wear daily so an increase of 2mm wasn't noticeable at all.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

io_burn posted:

The best thing you can do is schedule a try-on, at this point you can basically schedule one with 15-30 minutes lead time. I thought the 42mm was way smaller than I was expecting it to be on my actual wrist. Most mens watches are 40mm-ish, including the watch I wear daily so an increase of 2mm wasn't noticeable at all.

Ok cool, thanks! I will see if I can set one up for today.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

corsair posted:

Ok cool, thanks! I will see if I can set one up for today.

I was surprised. My regular watch is 42 mm I think, and the apple watch looked smaller on my wrist than it does. The apple watch is also thinner and lighter than my regular watch. I have small wrists for a guy as well.

Still, you should try it on, but I was pleasantly surprised by the size of it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The main issue with the Apple Watch is the girth, which is quite a bit thicker than most regular watches. The size of the face isn't really that big of a deal compared to most fashion watches these days.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The main issue with the Apple Watch is the girth, which is quite a bit thicker than most regular watches. The size of the face isn't really that big of a deal compared to most fashion watches these days.

I don't believe that's really true. It's obviously thicker than the really thin watches like Skagens, but it seems to be in line with the thickness of most mechanical watches.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely thinner than my chronograph. Doesn't look nearly as thick as the Moto watch. That thing is ridiculous.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's definitely thinner than my chronograph. Doesn't look nearly as thick as the Moto watch. That thing is ridiculous.

Looks like 10.5 mm thick for Apple Watch and 11.5 for the Moto 360.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Looks like 10.5 mm thick for Apple Watch and 11.5 for the Moto 360.

That's less of a difference than I would have thought. Maybe because the edges of the apple watch are rounded and the moto edge is straight up and down, it just look crazy thick to me.

I do prefer the look of a round watch face versus a rectangle, but a circle just isn't an efficient use of wrist space.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
New thread title please:

Apple Watch - A circle just isn't an efficient use of wrist space.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001
I tried them on and they are smaller than I expected. The 38 seems like a good size for me, but I'm concerned about it being too small re: mashing multiple items with fingers?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

corsair posted:

I tried them on and they are smaller than I expected. The 38 seems like a good size for me, but I'm concerned about it being too small re: mashing multiple items with fingers?

The icons are big enough and the touch precise enough I haven't had any problem on my 38mm hitting the icons I want.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

The icons are big enough and the touch precise enough I haven't had any problem on my 38mm hitting the icons I want.

The girl that was helping me indicated that the only issue she had with it was the pass code, and that did look pretty tricky. I don't think I would use the code though, it's on my wrist?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

corsair posted:

The girl that was helping me indicated that the only issue she had with it was the pass code, and that did look pretty tricky. I don't think I would use the code though, it's on my wrist?

You'll want a code set anyway (both in case you set it down, and I think some features require it to at least be set) but yeah, you never actually have to enter it if you select to have it unlock when you're wearing it and unlock your iPhone. Just put the watch on first then unlock your phone, and it's good to go all day, it won't re-lock unless you take it off or manually lock from the power menu.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

You'll want a code set anyway (both in case you set it down, and I think some features require it to at least be set) but yeah, you never actually have to enter it if you select to have it unlock when you're wearing it and unlock your iPhone. Just put the watch on first then unlock your phone, and it's good to go all day, it won't re-lock unless you take it off or manually lock from the power menu.

Ah okay, good to know, thanks!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I'm a 196 cm tall guy who thinks Timex Weekenders are kinda big and I think the 38 mm is a-ok even when entering the code. Worst case, I have to enter the code twice. I probably have tiny wrists or something.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

fordan posted:

New thread title please:

Apple Watch - A circle just isn't an efficient use of wrist space.

Until we make one

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
edit: I was drunk and probably shouldn't have said this.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

gohmak posted:

Until we make one

So true. I remember being ear raped with my larger android phone and then the 6/6+ came around and it was the second coming of Christ

• Locked thread