Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just rammed my F1 car in a wall doing about 100mph head first. I dedicate this game to Harold Khan 125cc Karts, 250cc Super Karts, Formula Rookie, Formula Gulf 1000, GT3, LMP 2, LMP1 world champion. May he rest in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

cheesetriangles posted:

Does this game have romance options?

Yes

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

I just rammed my F1 car in a wall doing about 100mph head first. I dedicate this game to Harold Khan 125cc Karts, 250cc Super Karts, Formula Rookie, Formula Gulf 1000, GT3, LMP 2, LMP1 world champion. May he rest in peace.

An accomplished driver. Rip.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is HK47 or Garrus in the game?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I've been pretty happy with how the AI turned out, I'm still seeing some traffic jams at race starts with large grids, but once the races get going I've managed to squeeze through packs of AI cars like this without anything worse than occasional nudges.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

No dickhole AI cutting into your lines? Happens to me all the time in AC and I loving hate it.

Don't even get me started on the Drivatards in forza...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Norns posted:

No dickhole AI cutting into your lines? Happens to me all the time in AC and I loving hate it.

Don't even get me started on the Drivatards in forza...

I'm pretty sure the Ai can still be a dickhole

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I imagine 12-20 cars is the sweet spot for the game.

How are the control modes? Are any standouts?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really like the AI the AI slider was a brilliant idea. They behave about the same at all levels but are more competent at racing the higher it is. So if it's at 20% ai they will still race you hard provided you can't race for poo poo and are as slow as they are. I find 50-60% to be the sweet spot for me. 70+ they typically are much better racers than me and I get my rear end kicked. 60% get's me a good race as long as I am putting in good clean laps. The AI will do good laps and overtake you when they can. At the start of races it can get kinda crowded and you might get some bumping into each other. But after maybe half a lap things get real good once the pack spreads out a bit. You can even race in close quarters against them and they will behave well.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Goddamn, work, i was joking about working til 8.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

I haven't gotten any word about getting the 50% coupon to purchase pCars on Steam, and I still have the game downloaded from when I joined as a Team Member. Should I uninstall it and see if it works? I'm assuming I should email SMS about the discount if nothing has come in yet.

For me the discount just appeared next to the price on the store page (as if the game were just on sale).

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

headfake posted:

For me the discount just appeared next to the price on the store page (as if the game were just on sale).

Ha, I literally check it randomly after logging out of and signing back into Steam and the coupon has come through and the game is out of the library. Phew! Coupon only exists for a month so might as well use it ASAP.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I really like the AI the AI slider was a brilliant idea. They behave about the same at all levels but are more competent at racing the higher it is. So if it's at 20% ai they will still race you hard provided you can't race for poo poo and are as slow as they are. I find 50-60% to be the sweet spot for me. 70+ they typically are much better racers than me and I get my rear end kicked. 60% get's me a good race as long as I am putting in good clean laps. The AI will do good laps and overtake you when they can. At the start of races it can get kinda crowded and you might get some bumping into each other. But after maybe half a lap things get real good once the pack spreads out a bit. You can even race in close quarters against them and they will behave well.

I don't know the exact details, but the AI strength is also adjusted based on the series you're running, and maybe based on what class you're racing in. So when you move from a regional to a worldwide championship, for instance, the AI racers will get slightly faster.

That loving Sned posted:

I can't wait to finally play Project CARS tomorrow morning. How's it been following this game's development for over four years?

I remember paying 5 euro to access the alpha builds (and then upgrading to the full game) with the expectation that the game would be sort of like the initial release of Assetto Corsa, but with the helmet cam system from Shift 2. I'm pretty sure the original proposal was bigger than that but I didn't really expect a crowdfunded game to have 70+ cars, a multiplatform release, or a large career mode. I'm interested to see what the reception is like from people who are just hearing about it and probably have higher expectations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's 5 PM CST. Steam hasn't unlocked it yet.

HURRY

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Restart steam over and over again if it doesn't unlock.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

edit: never mind I do believe it is unlocking

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 6, 2015

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Its happening.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SanitysEdge posted:

Its happening.

hail satan

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Unpacking.

It's 1:15 AM.

I probably won't get any sleep tonight.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
For some reason this game uses an extra 3.8gb to unlock.

Be warned.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

quaunaut posted:

For some reason this game uses an extra 3.8gb to unlock.

Be warned.

Are you sure you were on the latest build? Mine was only 13.5mb.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my poor 7950 cannot take it. 60 fps around one turn, 30 fps on the next

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Rock solid on the GTX 970, although I've just been loving around on Spa by myself.

Where can I find pictures taken in game?

edit: found them. How can I save them to my desk top from the driver network?

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 6, 2015

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ethanol posted:

my poor 7950 cannot take it. 60 fps around one turn, 30 fps on the next

I've got a 7850, so I'll wait until I upgrade my computer in a few years to grab the PC version. Then I can slam everything on Ultra and not have to worry about the performance tradeoff of each setting.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I've got a 7850, so I'll wait until I upgrade my computer in a few years to grab the PC version. Then I can slam everything on Ultra and not have to worry about the performance tradeoff of each setting.

I wouldn't wait, this game is great so far

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm running a mix of high/ultra on gtx 970/i5-4690k and was getting a mostly stable 60 fps with 20 cars on track during a thunderstorm on spa. Dipped to 45 on the hairpin before Eua Rouge then just held at 60 once the pack broke up.

Owns.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Zinjnok posted:

Are you sure you were on the latest build? Mine was only 13.5mb.

100%. The final download was 13.5mb, but when it unlocks it takes up extra space, and for some reason it was taking 3.8gb. It gives it back soon as it's done, but it takes it for the duration of the unlock.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Formula A starts :negative:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
look for "chivers rises from the ashes like that one bird"

mumble.goonrathi.com
password: mellon

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Hmm. Bummerino. I did all new drivers in anticipation of errors and bam. I am hit with an Unhandled Exception Error. Looks like I have nowhere to report it to.

Anyone have this error on beta and know a fix?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How do I switch liveries?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Okay, was barely able to get an hour in before I had to go, but:

First off, if this is what Kart Racing is like, no wonder no other games have it. The kart's desire to spin out quite randomly is pretty awful- I never was able to get a handle on it through 5 full events(so 10 races). I won each regardless, but every turn felt like "WELP LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS", and luckily at Amateur difficulty everyone is too stupid for it to matter.

Also, that racing line might be the worst one I've ever seen implemented. It's real bad. It doesn't really seem to understand how it's supposed to work.

Lastly, the thing being this potentially pretty but completely lacking a benchmark mode is pretty disappointing. It makes me not want to actually spend time seeing if I can crank the graphics. So I guess we'll see.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
hi is there a full screen windowed mode because god drat does this not like being alt tab'd.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Endbuster posted:

Unhandled Exception Error.

That's a really dumb mistake on their part.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just played it for a bit and drove some cars around and it was fun

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

The game runs fine on my 7870 with whatever the default settings are.

So I started with the zero to hero with the karts "pro" setting :smug:. Did terrible, moved on to a solo race with a 2012 Boss 302R1 and did better. Then I adjusted the FFB settings for my Fanatac GT2 and came in second on another 302 race around Laguna Seca with 80 difficultly opponents. Adjusted FFB again and now my wheel wants to turn right and never stop.

This is one of the few games that was worth pre-ordering in a loooong time.

vvvv yeah the default FFB seems floppy and terrible. Apparently they are trying to simulate human arms. Guess what, I already have arms, I dont need simulated arms while I use my arms.
some settings to turn off all the filters and crap would be nice

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 7, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't like how floppy the steering is, can I make it so the wheel is harder to turn somehow?
I like to have no play in the steering at all if possible.

SanitysEdge posted:

vvvv yeah the default FFB seems floppy and terrible. Apparently they are trying to simulate human arms. Guess what, I already have arms, I dont need simulated arms while I use my arms.
some settings to turn off all the filters and crap would be nice

I am also using my arms so this seems like a big oversight on the devs part, I'd bet good money that we aren't the only ones.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2015

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

geeves posted:

That's a really dumb mistake on their part.

I don't understand software development, but is it something stupid they didn't so, or are you punning around.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I was getting some prettty nasty stuttering and was worried my game was gonna be ruined, but turning off ingame vsync fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is making it difficult to fine tune my graphics settings, making me restart every time I change something :(

• Locked thread