Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I really liked it mostly because Matt Berry is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Matt Berry is loving hilarious and if you liked him in this episode you need to watch "Toast of London". It's only 12 episodes and I actually had to pace myself because of how much I loved it. I just never wanted it to end.

I CAN HEAR YOU, CLEM FANDANGO.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I loved this week's. Last week's was kinda lower but this was pretty good. The "Entertainer" leitmotif was wonderful, extending to the opening theme song.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like the last two episodes would have been a lot better at 21 minutes instead of 28. Both ending tags were pretty funny, but the middle of the episodes just dragged and dragged.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I really like what they've done with this series. I've laughed at every episode unlike in the last season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Matt Berry makes everything better.

He only really has one character he ever plays, but that character is glorious.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lord Of Texas posted:

I feel like the last two episodes would have been a lot better at 21 minutes instead of 28. Both ending tags were pretty funny, but the middle of the episodes just dragged and dragged.

Yeah, its absolutely disappointing that there was so much build-up to such an unsatisfying conclusion. Going back to the conspiracy episode, that episode had an incredible climax that just kept getting funnier and funnier as the layers were peeled away. This episode's climax, meanwhile, rests on a single act which, when completed, deflates the tension almost instantly. Its like an exercise in anti-comedy: 25 minutes of buildup followed by zero payoff.

(or an organism where you time it wrong and do one of those disappointing half-cums)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

As others have said, Matt Berry and the tag at the end were good, but the rest of the episode was pretty dull. I thought it would have been more interesting if the study group had ended up losing this round. On a related note, I'm quickly losing whatever affection I have left for these characters, which makes me sad. I don't know if they've really gotten substantially worse or if I'm just tired of them, but it's probably a bit of each. I'll finish out the season, and watch a movie if they make one, but I don't think I'm watching any more seasons if this zombie show continues to shuffle along next year.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I wish I had seen more movies about grifting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

As others have said, Matt Berry and the tag at the end were good, but the rest of the episode was pretty dull. I thought it would have been more interesting if the study group had ended up losing this round. On a related note, I'm quickly losing whatever affection I have left for these characters, which makes me sad. I don't know if they've really gotten substantially worse or if I'm just tired of them, but it's probably a bit of each. I'll finish out the season, and watch a movie if they make one, but I don't think I'm watching any more seasons if this zombie show continues to shuffle along next year.

I find Annie absolutely intolerable this season, which is odd since I liked her before :psyduck:.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I really liked it mostly because Matt Berry is hilarious.

I think that's what made the episode for me, otherwise I might not have enjoyed it much. Neat theme tho anyway.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I enjoyed it.

I will say that when Leonard came out I got excited that the whole Greendale cast would create a long set of hurdles over several scenes a la "The Sting." That said, it was worth it to see him flip the bird.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I enjoyed it for the most part, could have done without the hot dog dance at the end.
Loved the opening credits theme song, and Leonard flipping the bird.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pick posted:

I find Annie absolutely intolerable this season, which is odd since I liked her before :psyduck:.

She's descended into the odd mind of Abed and it's de-aged her. She's significantly less mature now, a lot closer to Troy than the Annie that we didn't sexualize.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It may just be me projecting but since listening to Harmontown I can see a lot of Erin (Dan Harmon's wife) in Annie. I'd need to go back and look for specific examples but that was a feeling I got.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Its because she's wearing pants.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Annie's the character that suffers the most from hanging around a community college her whole life instead of moving on, so they've had to lobotomize her a bit to keep her around. Plus Frankie kind of stole her wet blanket role.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a shame the order the characters had to leave, since in my mind it's almost a 180 from what would have best serviced the show.

Also, deeply affected as it is, I wish they'd all just transitioned to jobs on campus like Jeff did. Then you can at least plumb more of the teacher humor, and not much in episodes like Meow Meow Beenz would really change (where MMB was a great doofy S3-esque episode).

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
What exactly do Annie and Abed do at Greendale these days? I'm still struggling to figure it out. And I'm assuming Elroy is a quasi-student?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
They're taking classes in how to beat a dead horse.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

What exactly do Annie and Abed do at Greendale these days? I'm still struggling to figure it out. And I'm assuming Elroy is a quasi-student?

Annie, Abed, and Britta's first four years of classes at an extremely lovely community college completely failed at helping them move on to anything better so they decided that the solution was to keep taking classes while volunteering to help "save the school."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

One thing I've liked about this season is the fact that Greendale has classes on Ladders and Grifting.

Overall i think the last several episodes just haven't been that funny though, but oh well.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Britta 1
Annie 0

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I don't know how I could still be disappointed by an episode after the Honda cocksucking marathon, but it happened. 'Character development' has sanded off all the interesting bits from every character, and now even their retarded adventures aren't fun anymore.

Oh no, the group got grifted out of a relatively small sum of money! Fortunately everybody's a sufficiently functional adult such that the problem was resolved in a timely manner. Hilarity does not ensue at all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

teamcharlie posted:

Oh no, the group got grifted out of a relatively small sum of money! Fortunately everybody's a sufficiently functional adult such that the problem was resolved in a timely manner. Hilarity does not ensue at all.

Its like Harmon made a full revolution on his asinine story circle and didn't know what to do next because he's never been able to hold down a job for this long before.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 7, 2015

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still think Harmon was ready for the show to be over last season and just kept it going when they got picked up by yahoo because it would be dumb to turn down a steady paycheck and lovely to lose paychecks for everyone working on the show. After getting fired from the show once, losing core cast members and getting cancelled before a renewal sent them into a sixth season (which is past the expiration date for most shows), I don't think anyone can really fault him for being burned out, but it definitely feels like a passionless project at this point to me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doakes posted:

Britta 1
Annie 0

Sure, but that's true for every episode of Community.

This episode was a little like "The Sting", in that it had great music and felt like something truly amazing/hilarious was going to happen, but it wound up feeling anticlimactic. That said, this season as a whole has been pretty darned good overall, and not something that I regret watching.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doakes posted:

Britta 1
Annie 0

Britta 1
Annie 2

You don't understand how silver and gold works, do you?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Oh poo poo, Dan Harmon is on @midnight tonight.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

swickles posted:

Oh poo poo, Dan Harmon is on @midnight tonight.

And it's pretty wonderful.

"My dick is like a clown.."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Watched this weeks episode and it just isn't working out for me anymore. These last two episodes, they've been doing the sitcom/tv thing where they create some artificial and over the top "drama" and then paint all the characters one dimensionally. There doesn't seem to be continuity anymore and that's bad.

Also the whole drifting thing was done really poorly.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

This really is the most mixed season they've ever had. It's not just that there are good and bad episodes - it's that there can be islands of good scenes bookended by bad openings and closings. I've genuinely quite liked moments from this series - but I would say there have only really been two or three totally solid episodes so far, which is a real shame

This season feels like it's suffered the most cartoonification. The comedy was always wacky, but now it feels so wacky in tone that nothing really actually matters anymore.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also the whole drifting thing was done really poorly.

Community: Tokyo Grift

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Calico Heart posted:

This season feels like it's suffered the most cartoonification. The comedy was always wacky, but now it feels so wacky in tone that nothing really actually matters anymore.

Somebody with time and energy should analyze Jeff's "I must defeat him" attitude from this episode as compared to when it happened in the pottery episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

prefect posted:

Somebody with time and energy should analyze Jeff's "I must defeat him" attitude from this episode as compared to when it happened in the pottery episode.

He's had some poor motivations behind his actions this season. I kind of wish he'd left and Troy were still here.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I keep trying to find the new episode and it isn't there. It's Episode 9, right? All there is is a preview of it. Did they take it down?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Steve Vader posted:

I keep trying to find the new episode and it isn't there. It's Episode 9, right? All there is is a preview of it. Did they take it down?

It's still there. Try this link https://screen.yahoo.com/community/community-episode-9-grifting-101-070001340.html

I wonder when they are going to announce if there are going to be any future Community projects. I'd rather them do another season instead of a movie, unless the movie could bring back old cast members. If the show ends with this season, I hope the last episode has a good ending.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its well past time to put the old dog down. I said last year that the renewal was a mistake because everybody was tired of the show, and this season pretty much confirmed it. Harmon is tired. The actors are tired. The audience is tired. There's no more love for this show; and no reason to extend its suffering. Just cancel the loving thing already so that the actors and staff can move on with their lives.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Irish Joe posted:

Its well past time to put the old dog down. I said last year that the renewal was a mistake because everybody was tired of the show, and this season pretty much confirmed it. Harmon is tired. The actors are tired. The audience is tired. There's no more love for this show; and no reason to extend its suffering. Just cancel the loving thing already so that the actors and staff can move on with their lives.

Thanks for making me realize I haven't actually been enjoying Community. I could have sworn I was finding these episodes funny and entertaining.

You act like the 30 minutes you took to watch this episode would've been the 30 minutes in the future you spent loving Kate Upton and now that chance is gone forever. I think you need to calm down and go watch shows you like and post in those threads.

edit: Didn't realize it was you with that new avatar, Irish Joe. Couldn't take looking at your worst post ever all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

El Tortuga posted:

edit: Didn't realize it was you with that new avatar, Irish Joe. Couldn't take looking at your worst post ever all the time?

I left it on for over a year, and got it for sassing Franco. The joke wore out its welcome and Franco was run off SA, so it was time for a change.

• Locked thread