Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Misadventures of Tron Bonne is now on PSN for 6 bucks. Have at it retro goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You're like the first person I've ever seen say anything good about Crystal :psyduck:

The animation isn't as nice as I'd like it to be but it is a significantly condensed version of the first two arcs and has been overall really enjoyable. There is no monster of the day. !SPOILERS! Queen Beryl is dead by episode 13, to give you an idea of the pacing. Only a spoiler if you haven't seen Sailor Moon before or want to be surprised by Crystal, but there you go. It's not ZOMG BEST EVER but it's way more than I ever would have dreamed I'd get after 20 years of watching that show, you know? I don't know if people you've heard complain about it have been megafans/manga readers/etc. or just people who saw the cartoon, so YMMV. I probably qualify as "megafan", but not the kind that plastered their house with it, ya dig?

Also the theme song grew on me, even if it's on the generic modern animu side of things.

vv that's actually pretty rad, I'd keep it too

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 6, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just found this great gamebit set at Microcenter, they're the first gamebits I've had that actually fit the cart holes correctly (especially on NES carts) I was actually going to just return this after I did what I needed to but after seeing the quality I'm definitely keeping it. The small ratchet driver is nice too

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm working out a trade for Neo Geo Pocket Color. Not really giving up much, just an old fight stick I don't use anymore. Should I pull the trigger? I'm mostly interested in that Mega Man Battle game but I think it might be way out of my price range and I can get better versions on the PS2 anniversary collection. Not sure what else Is want on the NGPC besides Match of the Millenium.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Behold! Craigslist actually had cool poo poo for once

Wooha! Not one but TWO Commodore 64s.

And the cutest lil cartridge holder :3:

Games laid out, unlabeled one is Q*Bert

:stare: The guy kept all the manuals

AND THE BOX (for one)

So for $100 I think I did pretty decent eh?

Unfortunately one of them doesn't work so I'll have to fix it but whatever, Commodore 64!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Caitlin posted:

The animation isn't as nice as I'd like it to be but it is a significantly condensed version of the first two arcs and has been overall really enjoyable. There is no monster of the day. !SPOILERS! Queen Beryl is dead by episode 13, to give you an idea of the pacing. Only a spoiler if you haven't seen Sailor Moon before or want to be surprised by Crystal, but there you go. It's not ZOMG BEST EVER but it's way more than I ever would have dreamed I'd get after 20 years of watching that show, you know? I don't know if people you've heard complain about it have been megafans/manga readers/etc. or just people who saw the cartoon, so YMMV. I probably qualify as "megafan", but not the kind that plastered their house with it, ya dig?

Also the theme song grew on me, even if it's on the generic modern animu side of things.

I started watching Sailor Moon when they started putting it up on Hulu, and then gave the first episode of Crystal a watch. It was alright except the look seems way at odds with the comedy, but that's possibly just personal bias.

But even for someone way out of the target audience and too old to just start watching it beyond the brief bits I saw as a kid, it's pretty funny. I stalled out at episode 13 or so because yeah, monster of the day stuff and the repetition of the transformation and attack sequences does get pretty tiresome when you're binging through it. I need to work it into some kind of paced-out schedule if I ever hope to finish it.

in other news I am looking forward to Saturday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9TD3bdfY8

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

:stare: The guy kept all the manuals

I'm trying to remember if it was that manual or the other one that had the complete memory map...

But hey, if you had luck on Craigslist maybe my Craigslist will-

Nope!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tyson Tomko posted:

Question for you Caitlin. Does yours have the whatever it's called digital enhanced chip whatchamacallit that allows certain games to be played? Mine certainly does not and it prevents me from playing Rise of the Robots and Thunder in Paradise, so if you're not sure or don't care try out one of those gams and see what happens.

You're thinking the Digital Video Cartridge, it allows playing standard Video CD movies and MPEG1 media in general, for better quality/lower disk space videos than the default system can handle.

flyboi posted:

Unfortunately one of them doesn't work so I'll have to fix it but whatever, Commodore 64!

I had a Commodore 6t4 once where it would randomly stop working, and taking it apart and putting it back together again would fix it for like 6 months at a time despite not changing anything.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Local Half-Price Books had both proper PS1 DDR games for $4 a piece. Had to pull that trigger, which meant I needed a pad. Local retro shop had a deal going where you got a pad for free with the purchase of a DDR game. So that was another $10. All told, $18 and tax for three games and a pad. But wait. That pad's an Ignition 1. There wasn't anything better than that pad until its own successor as softpads went. So, yeah, great deal.

...and then I threw my back out yesterday dealing with a flat tire. Go me.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Speaking of CL, would this be worth my time and money if I wanted to try to make a working 2600 out of these parts and flip the rest?

I'm hesitant because I don't know very much about the 2600 and I bet this is probably the leftovers of someone who knew what they were doing. Also, this ad has been up for like a month

On the other hand though... what if?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FIRST TIME posted:

Speaking of CL, would this be worth my time and money if I wanted to try to make a working 2600 out of these parts and flip the rest?

I'm hesitant because I don't know very much about the 2600 and I bet this is probably the leftovers of someone who knew what they were doing. Also, this ad has been up for like a month

For $20 I would buy those. I've always wanted one of those game bin/console stands. Also I've bought 2 2600s that were listed "for repair" and they worked fine. Some people just don't know how to get them working on modern TVs. Plus it's got Kaboom, aka the best 2600 game.

That said, I do have one 2600 sitting here that I haven't been able to get working. And if they are selling three of them, maybe you're right about them being leftovers.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
And lo, my uncle who owns a production company in Chicago just said he had a few monitors I could come pick up. A few PVM-20L5s! :getin:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caitlin posted:

And lo, my uncle who owns a production company in Chicago just said he had a few monitors I could come pick up. A few PVM-20L5s! :getin:

That's awesome!

Also:

The date and time were correct, but I think the lens needs to be cleaned. It played the disc for a while, then had a "please clean the disc" screen. The disc looks pristine. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the genesis controller adapter just yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's only on the US PSN Store. drat you, cursed monkey paw :negative:.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok guys, sorry for spamming the thread, but I have another very important cd-i announcement. I have found the genesis controller adapter and it still works. I was scared at first, but apparently you have to have it connected when you power the machine on.

I think I might buy a spindle of cd-i flash carts and mess around with it a little, but I'll probably sell or trade it after that.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Caitlin posted:

I'm very jealous. Please treasure them.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

flyboi posted:

Instead of fixing it, turn it into an instrument. Also, what. :stare: Related vids had a guy who made a keytar(!) out of one, but I didn't watch it.

Caitlin posted:

:aaa: your good fortune. Get two. Flip one on its side, buy Saturn/PS1/DC/PS2/X360 shmups, become gaming ninja. Or a supergun and arcade boards for ultimate. :retrogames: Highly reccomended.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Instead of fixing it, turn it into an instrument. Also, what. :stare: Related vids had a guy who made a keytar(!) out of one, but I didn't watch it.

The trend of turning perfectly good systems into beep-boop noise makers confuses the poo poo out of me. Can't they make all of the same noises with software on modern computers? Nobody listening to DJ dorkwad's mixtape is gonna hear the fact that it's a real C64

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 7, 2015

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

The trend of turning perfectly good systems into beep-boop noise makers confuses the poo poo out of me. Can't they make all of the same noises with software on modern computers? Nobody listening to DJ dorkwad's mixtape is gonna hear the fact that it's a real C64

probably the worst thread ever for an "original hardware" rant

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

d0s posted:

Won't somebody think of the poor 20 million Commodore 64s??? :jerkbag:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

wa27 posted:

Won't somebody think of the poor 20 million Commodore 64s??? :jerkbag:

The problem is the SID chip became high demand because of chiptune hacker nerdlords so they're much more expensive than they used to be from all supplies being dried up for dumb musical instruments. I'm looking at replacement parts for the broken C64 and it'll cost upwards of $50+ to fix if I can't find the exact chips that are busted and to do that I need to get a diagnostic cart which isn't cheap.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ofecks posted:

:aaa: your good fortune. Get two. Flip one on its side, buy Saturn/PS1/DC/PS2/X360 shmups, become gaming ninja. Or a supergun and arcade boards for ultimate. :retrogames: Highly reccomended.

Wait, isn't it really bad to put a CRT on its' side? I think the tall ones used in some arcade games are specially built for that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

W-wait, that's really a thing? Are music hacks really hacking apart C64s to turn them into beep machines? Not one or two of them who aren't right in the head, but several of these people?? What the bloody gently caress.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm working out a trade for Neo Geo Pocket Color. Not really giving up much, just an old fight stick I don't use anymore. Should I pull the trigger? I'm mostly interested in that Mega Man Battle game but I think it might be way out of my price range and I can get better versions on the PS2 anniversary collection. Not sure what else Is want on the NGPC besides Match of the Millenium.

YES! Trade your mortal soul for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The NGPC was and probably still is the best way to play (SD-ified adaptations of) fighting games on the go but it's still more of a novelty than anything else. I keep mine around because it looks cool, pretty much.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
goon meat in Florida

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8564337/nintendo-universal-theme-park-licensing-deal

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

FIRST TIME posted:

I knew absolute jack about 2600s until my father in law gave me his a few years back. Since then, I've bought some at flea markets and from many people online (ebay, shopgoodwill, goons, etc) and have been able to fix every single one of them except for one. I grew up taking apart my parents' various 70's electronics in the 80s/90s so it was definitely my cup of tea. Everything is huge and super easy to work with, and most problems I've ran into are super obvious ones like a cable being unplugged, something causing a short, or just being incredibly incredibly gross.

The only thing I'd be hesitant about is if it's from someone else who has tried to fix it and failed like you said. The one that I was unable to fix (and sold on ebay mind you) was CAKED in so much rust it was beyond fixable. Given the ages of 2600s I'm sure there are tons of absolutely dead ones out there, but $20 for the lot is a pretty solid deal even if you turn around and flip all the possibly broken hardware.

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok guys, sorry for spamming the thread, but I have another very important cd-i announcement. I have found the genesis controller adapter and it still works. I was scared at first, but apparently you have to have it connected when you power the machine on.

I think I might buy a spindle of cd-i flash carts and mess around with it a little, but I'll probably sell or trade it after that.

Is there any wording or brand names on it you could share? I've been using my spoon controller since day 1, and even though it's not my least favorite controller by a longshot, it makes playing some games very difficult. I would kill to be able to use a Genesis controller one day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RZA Encryption posted:

Wait, isn't it really bad to put a CRT on its' side? I think the tall ones used in some arcade games are specially built for that.

No? Well like, if you're using an old vacuum tube set from the the 50s/60s it is but you wouldn't want to use one in the first place due to lack of inputs.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

W-wait, that's really a thing? Are music hacks really hacking apart C64s to turn them into beep machines? Not one or two of them who aren't right in the head, but several of these people?? What the bloody gently caress.

Yep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektron_SidStation
http://www.samcoupe.com/hardsid.htm
http://www.retrothing.com/2010/03/hypersid-commodore-64-sound-synth-driven-by-a-pc.html

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

I started watching Sailor Moon when they started putting it up on Hulu, and then gave the first episode of Crystal a watch. It was alright except the look seems way at odds with the comedy, but that's possibly just personal bias.

But even for someone way out of the target audience and too old to just start watching it beyond the brief bits I saw as a kid, it's pretty funny. I stalled out at episode 13 or so because yeah, monster of the day stuff and the repetition of the transformation and attack sequences does get pretty tiresome when you're binging through it. I need to work it into some kind of paced-out schedule if I ever hope to finish it.

Then you'd have to feel that way about the manga, because that's pretty much how she (Naoko Takeuchi, manga artist) rolls! Though at the same time not much super stylized mahou shoujo ever made its way to the animation stage - the closest I can think of is CLAMP and MKR (even they went cuter for CCS). Crystal definitely drops the monster of the week bit in favor of keeping the story going (which is much closer to source). The original animated series is definitely a product of its time in that regard. Either way, it's overall a pretty fun series.

RZA Encryption posted:

That's awesome!

Also:

The date and time were correct, but I think the lens needs to be cleaned. It played the disc for a while, then had a "please clean the disc" screen. The disc looks pristine. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the genesis controller adapter just yet.

Nice! I'm glad everything's still at least functional, just gotta check that laser. I'd definitely trade for that controller adapter though because BAH GAWD I would love to use one of my piles of Genny controllers with my new and exciting CD-i!

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm very jealous. Please treasure them.

Ofecks posted:

A supergun is the first thing I thought of, because the first PERSON I thought of was Chris at Windy. I wish I knew exactly how many monitors there are, but my aunt asked me to call her about it today so I'll probably find out later this evening just how many there are. I figure depending on if it's 2 or 5 or whatever I might be able to trade for something as lovely as a supergun. Whether I get one or ten (hah) I'd be happy, he just definitely said monitors, plural. Slight possibility some could have come from Harpo studios too since they did plenty of work with them. Who knows!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

probably the worst thread ever for an "original hardware" rant

I love using original hardware to do what it's intended to do, this is more of a "trashing original hardware" rant :)

e: these people have also wrecked the market for gameboy hardware because apparently the gameboy sounds good (I don't see it)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Have a chance to buy someone's old PS2 game collection. Games are in good condition with manuals included. How does 150 euros sound for these games:

-Final Fantasy XII(Platinum)
-Valkyrie Profile 2
-One Piece: Grand Adventure
-Trapt
-God Hand
-Swords of Destiny
-Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2
-Shadow Hearts: Covenant
-Devil Kings
-Xtreme Legends: Samurai Warriors
-Breath of Fire:Dragon Quarter
-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
-Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
-Drakengard
-Star Ocean: 'till the End of Time
-Shadow Hearts: From the New World
-Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King
-Silent Hill collection
-Spectral vs Generation
-Crimson Tears
-Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
-Canis Canem Edit
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'd say the averaged price of each game on that list is probably $25 USD. Take that as you will! (maybe $20 - a few games, like SMT will be a little more valuable, but others, like FFXII are well under).

Shadow Hearts - Covenant is probably my personal favorite on the list tho.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zilkin posted:

Have a chance to buy someone's old PS2 game collection. Games are in good condition with manuals included. How does 150 euros sound for these games:

-Final Fantasy XII(Platinum)
-Valkyrie Profile 2
-One Piece: Grand Adventure
-Trapt
-God Hand
-Swords of Destiny
-Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2
-Shadow Hearts: Covenant
-Devil Kings
-Xtreme Legends: Samurai Warriors
-Breath of Fire:Dragon Quarter
-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
-Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
-Drakengard
-Star Ocean: 'till the End of Time
-Shadow Hearts: From the New World
-Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King
-Silent Hill collection
-Spectral vs Generation
-Crimson Tears
-Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
-Canis Canem Edit
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Caitlin posted:

I'd say the averaged price of each game on that list is probably $25 USD. Take that as you will! (maybe $20 - a few games, like SMT will be a little more valuable, but others, like FFXII are well under).

The PAL pricing is much the same, and those average out to about being worth 15 Euros per title (give-or-take a couple that might be worth more, but I can't be arsed pricehunting all of them) so that is a real bargain.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sell me your copy of Trapt. It's a poo poo game, but I can't find it that much cheap outside Italy and shipping fees from there are absurd.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

Is there any wording or brand names on it you could share? I've been using my spoon controller since day 1, and even though it's not my least favorite controller by a longshot, it makes playing some games very difficult. I would kill to be able to use a Genesis controller one day.

I bought it in March 2007 from an ebay user named gamgator2000 (lol, that username). 99% sure he custom made them. Judging by this link, he got out of the "CD-i business". I suppose there's a chance he might have some laying around if you can get ahold of him.

Here's my receipt if it helps.

Note: I'm using male pronouns because I know his name through the paypal transaction.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No? Well like, if you're using an old vacuum tube set from the the 50s/60s it is but you wouldn't want to use one in the first place due to lack of inputs.

Ok cool. I guess I half read something. Thanks for the info.

Caitlin posted:

I'd definitely trade for that controller adapter though because BAH GAWD I would love to use one of my piles of Genny controllers with my new and exciting CD-i!

I'll make sure to PM you when I'm ready to give it up. I definitely want to hook it up to my framemeister when it gets here, but then I'll dump all my CD-i stuff. (Except Wand of Gamelon =P)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Sell me your copy of Trapt. It's a poo poo game, but I can't find it that much cheap outside Italy and shipping fees from there are absurd.

Italy is a black hole of parcel delivery. The shipping fees are probably to fund a small mercenary team to see your parcel safely out the country.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

I guess I can see the counters to this argument [so many C64s made etc] but as an obsessive C64 fanboy I think it's barbaric to cannibalize them for any purpose, it's terrible, it's shameful, leave them alone you butchers

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I'll make sure to PM you when I'm ready to give it up. I definitely want to hook it up to my framemeister when it gets here, but then I'll dump all my CD-i stuff. (Except Wand of Gamelon =P)

Well if you're going to dump all of it I don't see why you'd want to keep Wand of Gamelon... :sax: But really I'd be happy with "not the wireless stick controller thing". It's not terrible so far, but it's reeeeeeally weird...

Be sure to post the results of hooking it up to a framemeister - not that I can afford one anytime soon, but I am genuinely curious! I hope to have more time to play with my CD-i this weekend, though my 3DO has seen a surprising amount of use - everyone who comes over wants to try it (and seems to actually have fun, even). I feel very good about my trades and am very grateful to the persons involved (kynikos is a champ! anonymity was requested on behalf of the other trader, and who am I to argue).

Retro goons best goons. :allears:

vv haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahah

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I didn't think it possible, but apparently Gamester at one point managed to make an N64 controller with an even worse design than the original.

• Locked thread