Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I kind of get a high off that quick bacon splatter burn. Reminds me I'm alive y'know?

I get that high from eating the thing that is splattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drifter posted:

Just use the second cast iron skillet to press down inside the larger one.

The first answer is always bacon. The second answer is always more cast iron.

Seriously though, heat both pans in the oven for awhile, and you can power-sear a steak on both sides simultaneously, in like ninety seconds.

:iia:

Lestion
May 4, 2015

To those of you who sear steaks on your cast iron: Do you prefer to bake then sear, or sear then bake?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Lestion posted:

To those of you who sear steaks on your cast iron: Do you prefer to bake then sear, or sear then bake?

Bake then sear.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lestion posted:

Sous vide then sear.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

toplitzin posted:

Sous vide then sear.

Do we have a pinkie-in-the-air emoticon?

And can I come to your house for dinner?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Lestion posted:

Sear then eat.. :getin:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lestion posted:

If these are your only two methods, the reverse sear is the scientifically and practically superior method.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Lestion posted:

I sear and then bake because I don't know what the gently caress "reverse searing" is.

Lestion
May 4, 2015

Drifter posted:

If these are your only two methods, the reverse sear is the scientifically and practically superior method.

Steaks motivated me to get into the cast iron game, but I'm still a newbie. My limited research suggests that these 2 methods are the place to start.

toplitzin posted:

Sous vide then sear.

Definitely had to google that. Seems cool though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lestion posted:

Steaks motivated me to get into the cast iron game, but I'm still a newbie. My limited research suggests that these 2 methods are the place to start.

Definitely had to google that. Seems cool though.

A sous vide is a more precise (and better hydrated) version of putting it in a low temperatured oven.

The reverse sear is fantastic, it's my preference, but you can always go for a very flipped sear and have it come out great.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Crazyeyes posted:

I sear and then bake because I don't know what the gently caress "reverse searing" is.

Same, and I've always been happy (thanks, Alton Brown book I checked out at the library). I'll check out the new method, though, because why not, but I bet it's about the same with my sloppy cooking ability.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Same, and I've always been happy (thanks, Alton Brown book I checked out at the library). I'll check out the new method, though, because why not, but I bet it's about the same with my sloppy cooking ability.

The thicker the steak, the better the reverse sear method is. With this method you wont end up with a rainbow of doneness through the steak.

So if you have a relatively normal cut of meat, either way is fine, but once you start getting into the 2" thick cuts, reverse is the way to go.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

atothesquiz posted:

The thicker the steak, the better the reverse sear method is. With this method you wont end up with a rainbow of doneness through the steak.

So if you have a relatively normal cut of meat, either way is fine, but once you start getting into the 2" thick cuts, reverse is the way to go.

Or if you want to go really decadent, baste them with butter while they cook.

Do not do this inside, you will set off every smoke detector in your house.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Fairly obvious that the prompting q was a troll q, imo.

Everyone loves searing/cooking it in the pan. (is this not true?)

Many folks love baking it and then searing it in a pan (mostly true).

Some folks enjoy the sous-vide approach where they wait a few hours and then sear it (IN CAST IRON!! yay)

---

Ultimately, uhm, yay cast iron.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 8, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

Fairly obvious that the prompting q was a troll q, imo.

Everyone loves searing/cooking it in the pan. (is this not true?)

Many folks love baking it and then searing it in a pan (mostly true).

Some folks enjoy the sous-vide approach where they wait a few hours and then sear it (IN CAST IRON!! yay)

---

Ultimately, uhm, yay cast iron.

A troll question? Dude was wondering the best/most popular way he should be cooking his steak. It's not a troll.

People gently caress up steaks all the time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm gonna stick with the method I'm most familiar with (sear-then-bake), because I don't eat steak that often, and it always has landed good meat on the plate. Also I tend to just grab whatever's in the meat case at the store, and that's rarely more than an inch thick.

That, a potato to soak up some of the blood, some red wine, asparagus, this whole deal is still new to me and it tastes hella good as is.

I've got an anniversary coming up, though, so maybe I'll splurge on something three decks of cards thick and bank-breaking at the Whole Foods...

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Go for filet mignon, wrap the sides in bacon, and use the same sear-and-bake process as you would for a steak and revel in its delicious versatility.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I just reseasoned the family skillet.

My sister took it all off with a wire brush and super heavy duty detergent because it was "dirty"
:negative:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Missing Name posted:

I just reseasoned the family skillet.

My sister took it all off with a wire brush and super heavy duty detergent because it was "dirty"
:negative:

Tell her if she does it again, you're going to use the wire brush on her until she's clean too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

Tell her if she does it again, you're going to use the wire brush on her until she's clean too.
Make her help you reseason it. THE EDUCATION STARTS
:fyh:

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Yo, for anyone in doubt, that serious eats tortilla pizza is fantastic and quick.

Bonus info: pineapple, ham , and carmelized onions on a pie is effin good so try it. I was apprehensive, but glad i nutted up.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Yo, for anyone in doubt, that serious eats tortilla pizza is fantastic and quick.

Bonus info: pineapple, ham , and carmelized onions on a pie is effin good so try it. I was apprehensive, but glad i nutted up.

Now just toss on a bunch of jalapenos and some hot sauce and take it into another dimension of amazing

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Kroger, a grocery store, had 10 inch Lodge skillets for 11 bucks, and 13(?) inchers for 15. I am having a hard time not going back and getting one of each. I already have two 10 inch skillets, but that is a really good price....

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Kroger, a grocery store, had 10 inch Lodge skillets for 11 bucks, and 13(?) inchers for 15. I am having a hard time not going back and getting one of each. I already have two 10 inch skillets, but that is a really good price....

That is a really good price. Also the 13-1/4" pan is a very odd sized one. I must admit I don't understand, but would buy one in a heartbeat.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

Kroger, a grocery store,...

Proceed immediately to this location and purchase them

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can always sell them on again.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Buy me one too please. Thanks. The 13 incher.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Started pre heating a cast iron, walked away and started reading SA. Got to this thread and remembered about that. Twenty minutes later.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eh it's fine

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

spankmeister posted:

eh it's fine

Yep, just glad it was the cast iron and not an aluminum pan - I've seen those melt to the burner.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Is it bad that I want to go get one of those skillets, chop the handle off, and use it full time on my grill?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

QuarkMartial posted:

Is it bad that I want to go get one of those skillets, chop the handle off, and use it full time on my grill?

Just get one of the larger models that has the small handles on either side, that way you can probably get away with not having to cut anything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, if you have a problem with steak or chops curling when they cook, don't use a press, just score the fat band vertically in several places before you cook them.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Incidentally, if you have a problem with steak or chops curling when they cook, don't use a press, just score the fat band vertically in several places before you cook them.

Son of a bitch

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

:aaaaa:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Huh, I always did that last, never thought to try doing it first. Does it make that much of a difference?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely. When the fat band shrinks due to the heat, the meat cups/curls and parts of it lose contact with the pan. You end up with uneven cooking and a poor sear (often just a spot in the center). Scoring the fat just down to the meat eliminates that and gives you a superior finished product. More evenly cooked, better crust.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Look what I found today, cast iron...fish? Who cares, they were in ratty shape, but a little tlc and I am going to...do, well something with them. They have to be old as all get out, the handles are cast and attached, bought them at antique store for 12 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nhilist posted:

Look what I found today, cast iron...fish? Who cares, they were in ratty shape, but a little tlc and I am going to...do, well something with them. They have to be old as all get out, the handles are cast and attached, bought them at antique store for 12 bucks.

Those look really impractical for cooking, but are cool as gently caress. I recommend doing several rounds of seasoning over the entirety of both pieces so they have a nice shine to them, and hanging them on the wall.