Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Jagchosis posted:

what the gently caress herbert hoover spoke mandarin?

hoover was actually a remarkable and pretty cool guy, just not an unlucky and not especially good president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

Oh word?

(My first use!)

yeah bro thats why theres that whole exception in the constitution allowing them to run for president

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

St. Pierre and Miquelon ?

No, the Frenchy part that thinks it's better than France.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jagchosis posted:

what the gently caress herbert hoover spoke mandarin?

I like the 19th_century_educational_standards.xls that is the long string of presidents fluent in both Latin and Greek

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

hoover was actually a remarkable and pretty cool guy, just not an unlucky and not especially good president

man now i know my time travel destination, the day before the wall street crash, go up to hoover and shake his hand and ominously say “嘘嘘,㞎㞎,你是糟糕的总统”

pee-pee, doo-doo, you are a bad president the meaning would become apparent the next day

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 7, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I like the 19th_century_educational_standards.xls that is the long string of presidents fluent in both Latin and Greek

this is why we need accelerationism. after we elect a full GOP government, we'll rebel and create a fascist vanguard state that mandates latin instruction

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We will call it Latin America

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Mister Beeg is a Japanese guy who is obsessed with American comics and cartoons, and goes to cartoonist conventions and has met Ted Rall in person

So I guess he's a oobaeew?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

man now i know my time travel destination, the day before the wall street crash, go up to hoover and shake his hand and ominously say “嘘嘘,㞎㞎,你是糟糕的总统”

Hoover was the head of the food relief organisation for Belgium in WW1 and by all accounts he was loving good at it and a really effective humanitarian:

quote:

When asked if he was not thus helping Bolshevism, Hoover retorted, "Twenty million people are starving. Whatever their politics, they shall be fed!". The Russian famine of 1921–22 claimed 6 million people. In July 1922, Soviet author Maxim Gorky wrote to Hoover:

Your help will enter history as a unique, gigantic achievement, worthy of the greatest glory, which will long remain in the memory of millions of Russians whom you have saved from death.

He also put himself through Stanford.

He was a gifted public servant he just got hosed by the circumstances he was in IMO.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Mister Beeg is a Japanese guy who is obsessed with American comics and cartoons, and goes to cartoonist conventions and has met Ted Rall in person

hosed up if true.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hoover also had the good sense to ignore his Treasury Seecretary.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

isn't he a cartoonist

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The skeletons are wearing sunglasses, and one is holding a sign that includes the words "Bernie"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The gov lawyer job I thought I had Just started calling my references one month after I interviewed

I don't know what the gently caress

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Exclamation Marx posted:

isn't he a cartoonist

In the same sense that I am a manga artist, sure

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

The gov lawyer job I thought I had Just started calling my references one month after I interviewed

Good enough for government work

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

let's see your doujins

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Draw some bomb rear end titties like Horsey

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do some Scooby doo dojuins plz

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

He also put himself through Stanford.

well that was when stanford was an unimpressive regional school :chord:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

euphronius posted:

Well it is the government, sounds about right to me?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

that's prolly a good sign brah

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

is stanford a joke yet

i know the hoover institute is already

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, he's kind of proof that just flat-out high IQ doesn't mean you're going to know what you're doing with the economy. He was terminally out of touch. And also was the one holding the hot potato when the time was up.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yeah, he's kind of proof that just flat-out high IQ doesn't mean you're going to know what you're doing with the economy. He was terminally out of touch. And also was the one holding the hot potato when the time was up.

It's not like FDR knew dick about the economy either. He was just open to ideas having seen what hadn't worked.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Majorian posted:

Yeah, he's kind of proof that just flat-out high IQ doesn't mean you're going to know what you're doing

See also: Wilson, Woodrow

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
(I am not actually a manga artist, I draw crude stickfigures in MSpaint, that is the joke)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

It's not like FDR knew dick about the economy either. He was just open to ideas having seen what hadn't worked.

fdr was good at finding appropriate people for the most part. like how he appointed the patriarch of the kennedy family to establish the SEC because kennedy was a financial criminal and he figured that was the exact person for figuring out how to catch them

also i get the impression that felix frankfurter was his wurmtongue, at least in the early years

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Disinterested posted:

keith is a terrible name

Objectively true. Only Keith David is allowed to have that name and be taken seriously.

Disinterested posted:

Well, to be fair, he did learn some valuable lessons as Governor of NY, ie: that deficit spending in a recession or depression is a smart thing to do if it's done wisely. But I mostly agree - what he did well was thinking outside the box and nominating people who understood the economy better than he did.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Well, to be fair, he did learn some valuable lessons as Governor of NY, ie: that deficit spending in a recession or depression is a smart thing to do if it's done wisely. But I mostly agree - what he did well was thinking outside the box and nominating people who understood the economy better than he did.

Even to that extent he was an amateur experimentalist, he didn't give a gently caress about trying to understand why spending or not had an effect on the economy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

that's prolly a good sign brah

Yeah

Pension time friends. pension.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Even to that extent he was an amateur experimentalist, he didn't give a gently caress about trying to understand why spending or not had an effect on the economy.

Well, but why should he? He was interested in finding something that worked, and thankfully he did. I'm not saying he was a great theoretical mind, because obviously he wasn't. But he clearly was the right person for the task.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

That doesn't even look like a hamburger :negative:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

hi chat thread as I begin my long ten minute commute home from work here is a daily q to u to chew on:

IF you were of a sexual orientation that is not your current chosen one (feel free not to specify) would your sexual subculture taxonym be either:

A) an animal
B) mineral
C) vegetable

and why

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

euphronius posted:

Lol

It's a gov lawyer job dude

You think they do poo poo quickly?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Berke Negri posted:

hi chat thread as I begin my long ten minute commute home from work here is a daily q to u to chew on:

IF you were of a sexual orientation that is not your current chosen one (feel free not to specify) would your sexual subculture taxonym be either:

A) an animal
B) mineral
C) vegetable

and why

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
yeah, the fact they're calling references means you've got it. grats, dude.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

That doesn't even look like a hamburger :negative:

it looks like wendy's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Well, but why should he? He was interested in finding something that worked, and thankfully he did. I'm not saying he was a great theoretical mind, because obviously he wasn't. But he clearly was the right person for the task.

My only point was that he was not economically literate and that his economic accomplishments don't really stem from any meaningful knowledge of economics.

• Locked thread