Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

To be fair, doesn't PVC primer also come in clear?

Yes, but in most areas it's basically a specialty item because the AHJ wants to SEE that primer was used or you don't pass the inspection that obviously never happened here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's the latest green standards for brown-water irrigation system. Totally legit and approved by LEED.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Javid posted:

Where does it come from?

Where does it go?

My theory is irrigating a tree with shower water but that setup doesn't look adjustable and there are a bunch of trees.

Air conditioner drip tube... watering the tree I guess?

I love that greyish (conduit maybe?) T in the middle where they just pointed the open end up so it won't pour out :allears:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
That's not a tee, it's a 90 that the drain hose pours into.

edit: oh, that tee.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 6, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Second picture

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looking at that first picture again, it looks suspiciously like a washer drain hose.

This could be an attempt to limp along on a dodgy septic system by offloading a bunch of gray water from the system.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Motronic posted:

Looking at that first picture again, it looks suspiciously like a washer drain hose.

This could be an attempt to limp along on a dodgy septic system by offloading a bunch of gray water from the system.

It does but that's a hell of an angle. It has a dip in it so I'm thinking sump pump outlet. And that tee could be an admittance, but likely what was in the garage. I cannot notice any barrier to the outside where the window is open.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Also voting washer drain hose. You can see the top of the short water heater; there's another 4' to the floor...though sump pump can't be ruled out

I have personally witnessed the washing machine setup several times in rural areas, complete with bubble pond at the terminus :stare:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 6, 2015

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Looking again I think the hose meets the pipe via a downspout elbow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Javid posted:

Where does it come from?

Where does it go?

My theory is irrigating a tree with shower water but that setup doesn't look adjustable and there are a bunch of trees.

Washing machine discharge.

e:efb

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I have personally witnessed the washing machine setup several times in rural areas, complete with bubble pond at the terminus :stare:

I may or may not have one of these at the far edge of my neighbor's property.....which his washing machine may drain into as well :)

(my house used to be his brother's house and the gray water stuff is all tied together. Even after installing a new goddamn $20k septic system I didn't see any particular need to change how the washer drain was piped when the inspector didn't catch it......and I have a good neighbor so fuckit)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Magnus Praeda posted:

You're assuming they bothered to use glue?

I can see the glue in the pictures so yes. :)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Folks, don't exceed the wattage limits on your light fixtures.

This is from a 60-YO 2-headed desk lamp. I had rewired it when my wife bought it nine years ago.

To be fair, they aren't marked, but I had put in a 40-W and a 5-W. She had 2- sixty-watt bulbs. She had been complaining that the bulbs burnt out quickly. Today one of the bulbs parted from it's base when she tried to change it & kept using it with the globe dangling loose from the bare leads :catstare:

Like most people, my wife is not home-maintenance smart. I explained that she needs to look at the wattage on the bulb before replacing them.

Now it's off for new ceramic sockets...

(edit) stuck a 4w/40W LED in one side & a 40W chandelier bulb in the other. When she's not looking I'll change that one to an LED as well :ninja:

The 40W easily throws as much light as the 60W incandescent. Directed beam helps.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 8, 2015

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Replace them once with 60W equivalent CREEs and never have that problem again

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I have been wondering about that, if using LEDs that draw below the fixture's watt rating but produce way over the fixture's expected lumens output (because it assumes a traditional incandescent rated for X watts) was okay. Seemed like the math would be okay as long as the heat byproduct was acceptable; a 58w LED in a 60w fitting sure is nice and bright, and turns out to make almost zero heat.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Fixtures are rated solely by watts drawn, because that is nearly entirely heat output.

An LED drawing an actual 40 watts could probably be used as an anti aircraft searchlight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

I have been wondering about that, if using LEDs that draw below the fixture's watt rating but produce way over the fixture's expected lumens output (because it assumes a traditional incandescent rated for X watts) was okay. Seemed like the math would be okay as long as the heat byproduct was acceptable; a 58w LED in a 60w fitting sure is nice and bright, and turns out to make almost zero heat.

Should be perfectly alright unless the fixture is black and absorbing all that extra light, or something. Even then, probably fine.

And yes, an LED actually producing 40 watts of light would be about like a laser producing 40 watts of light, assuming the same rough beam pattern. Look the gently caress out unless you want your retinas blasted and your curtains on fire.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

40 Watt LEDs are available for use as street lights.

Here is a 40 Watt work light. I bet that thing is bright as gently caress. That's actually a pretty drat good price for a ruggedized, water-resistant outdoor work light, too.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 7, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah what you want is equivalent brightness, not equivalent wattage. :v:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
White LED lights around 15% efficient right now, I think. That's improving over time, but they're only slightly better than CFL.

To output 40 watts of actual light you'd need about 15 100 Watt incandescents or 30 60 Watt incandescents.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Leperflesh posted:

40 Watt LEDs are available for use as street lights.

Here is a 40 Watt work light. I bet that thing is bright as gently caress. That's actually a pretty drat good price for a ruggedized, water-resistant outdoor work light, too.

Yeah, my 18 watt (150mA draw max at 120Vrms) work light is quite literally brighter than my 500 watt halogen the same size. It's insane, and I love it, but I actually kept the halogen one to use in the winter because it's nice to be able to warm my hands up on it every few minutes :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have a Chinese 40w chip as the white half of the LED array on my aquarium. It hangs about nine inches off the surface, and the tank is ~2 feet deep. That, and two rows of nine (18 total,) 3w royal blue emitters. I have to turn the white down a bit, or it tends to bleach corals out.

LEDs are fun!

:black101:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah what you want is equivalent brightness, not equivalent wattage. :v:

Nah, I want my rooms as bright as I can get 'em. :getin:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
This was posted in the GIF thread in PYF, and I figured you all would find it amusing:
http://i.imgur.com/lFbhpYp.webm

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

C.M. Kruger posted:

This was posted in the GIF thread in PYF, and I figured you all would find it amusing:

Water pressure test...

Passed! :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I genuinely dislike the lack of natural white light that LEDs have. Have they fixed that or are you still dealing with huge chunks of the spectrum missing?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wasabi the J posted:

I genuinely dislike the lack of natural white light that LEDs have. Have they fixed that or are you still dealing with huge chunks of the spectrum missing?

Just like with CFLs there's a wide range of color temperature choices available. I personally can't tell the difference in light color between the Cree "soft white" (2700K) LEDs and the generic incandescent bulbs that were in the house when I moved in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

The nice thing about LEDs is you can combine as many different wavelengths as you'd like by including the appropriate diodes. I have 40W and 60W "soft white" equivalents all through the house and I honestly can't tell the difference between them and incandescents (unlike CFLs).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

flosofl posted:

The nice thing about LEDs is you can combine as many different wavelengths as you'd like by including the appropriate diodes. I have 40W and 60W "soft white" equivalents all through the house and I honestly can't tell the difference between them and incandescents (unlike CFLs).

Not really. White LEDs are actually blue LEDs plus a phosphor that converts some of the blue to other wavelengths. The more expensive high quality ones will have higher quality phosphors with more complete spectral coverage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DNova posted:

Not really. White LEDs are actually blue LEDs plus a phosphor that converts some of the blue to other wavelengths. The more expensive high quality ones will have higher quality phosphors with more complete spectral coverage.

Incidentally, this is also how LCD TVs work. So a high quality phosphor should give out a complete enough spectrum to be able to reproduce the entire ITU-R BT.709 gamut. :eng101:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

C.M. Kruger posted:

That one isn't that bad. It just has to be pushed back on and a set screw needs tightening near the underside base.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

At every single Home Depot I've been to recently they have floor displays of LED bulbs where you can look at the color temps, if there's one near you you should go check it out. I've slowly converted all my bulbs to LED, the living area ones are "warm" and stuff like the closet that I don't really give a gently caress about is the cheaper "traditional ugly blue." I'm just amazed that they cost like, $15-$30 each but are warrantied for twenty one loving years. By the time it burns out I'll be 45 and it will be the cyberpocalypse anyway. My mind can't wrap around the fact that light bulbs just... don't... burn out... anymore. Crazy :2bong:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Are LEDs significantly more shock-resistant than normal bulbs? The cat loves to knock my lamp over, and normal bulb replacements are getting expensive.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Are LEDs significantly more shock-resistant than normal bulbs? The cat loves to knock my lamp over, and normal bulb replacements are getting expensive.

Most Feit and Cree bulbs are shatter resistant.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks for buying into the conspiracy to take away our god given incandescents. :tinfoil:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks for buying into the conspiracy to take away our god given incandescents halogens :tinfoil:

I'm the one killing the planet and heating the house.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm guessing it depends a lot on the brand, but I've dropped one a couple times on a tile floor trying to install it in an overhead fixture and it still works. The bulb itself is made of shatter-proof-feeling plastic and all the electronics seem to be very solidly attached to the heavy metal frame on the base to maximize heat dissipation so I'd imagine it could take way more of a beating than a filament bulb or CFL could.

EDIT: For reference I mostly have Cree and GE bulbs of several different shapes and designs and they all feel pretty solid, but ymmv

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 9, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

The crees are glass with a rubber coating, so they will spiderweb if you drop them but glass pieces won't fly off and it'll still work.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Incidentally, this is also how LCD TVs work. So a high quality phosphor should give out a complete enough spectrum to be able to reproduce the entire ITU-R BT.709 gamut. :eng101:

That's kind of misleading. A TV only needs red, green, and blue to cover the gamut. They tend to have pretty uneven spectrums.

The problem is that real materials have complex responses to different wavelengths of light. You have to hit them with lots of different frequencies to get the right color, even if you later sort those frequencies into three buckets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

At every single Home Depot I've been to recently they have floor displays of LED bulbs where you can look at the color temps, if there's one near you you should go check it out. I've slowly converted all my bulbs to LED, the living area ones are "warm" and stuff like the closet that I don't really give a gently caress about is the cheaper "traditional ugly blue." I'm just amazed that they cost like, $15-$30 each but are warrantied for twenty one loving years. By the time it burns out I'll be 45 and it will be the cyberpocalypse anyway. My mind can't wrap around the fact that light bulbs just... don't... burn out... anymore. Crazy :2bong:

A couple years ago my wife and I visited Longhorn Cave State Park in the Texas Hill Country. A few years ago, they converted the whole lighting system in the cave to LEDs, now they don't have to have people crawling down caves constantly changing bulbs, the LEDs also don't heat the place up and cause condensation and moss growth near the lights.