Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I haven't really played much 1946 but I own it because it's like $2 now so duhhh, everyone should. I haven't spent too much time in BoS so I probably can't take off in expert mode but if there was an active goon community then I would certainly be motivated to learn. I just play a lot of War Thunder now instead :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah I picked up 1946 when it was $2 on Steam, too. I only put like an hour into futzing with it since I think that was the same week I picked up BoS. Since I've only really played that and DCS, I've apparently missed the "fun" part of combat sims, what is it exactly that makes 1946 so much more of a fun game than those others, just custom missions or what? How do those substantially change the nature of go to enemy -> shoot planes/drop bombs -> go home/explode

Anyway, I've been wanting to get back into the pretend skies guess I'll have to give 1946 more of a shot.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Reztes posted:

Yeah I picked up 1946 when it was $2 on Steam, too. I only put like an hour into futzing with it since I think that was the same week I picked up BoS. Since I've only really played that and DCS, I've apparently missed the "fun" part of combat sims, what is it exactly that makes 1946 so much more of a fun game than those others, just custom missions or what? How do those substantially change the nature of go to enemy -> shoot planes/drop bombs -> go home/explode

Anyway, I've been wanting to get back into the pretend skies guess I'll have to give 1946 more of a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RIlcBH_Vo

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Shanakin posted:

Best thing about '46 is we can make our own dumb skins and everyone gets to see them.
This is my favorite part.

:haw:

e:
My proudest moment!

e2: I am/was HastyDeparture.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Reztes posted:

Hundreds of flyable planes that you don't have to grind or pay money to fly.
Relatively easy mission editor to make single player or multiplayer missions
Moving Dogfight Server (MDS) where you can create multiplayer coop missions where AI planes respawn, can give airfields resources and certain amount of planes, moving ships and ground forces, fronts, objectives etc and you can drop in and out as you want and they can go on for hours if you want.
Damage model is visually awesome still to this day.
Dynamic campaign generator, can do coop missions with goons, earn medals, battleground is persistent so places you bomb stay bombed until AI rebuilds etc. Can also play singleplayer if you want.
Modding scene

There's a lot of other features and small things that are cool about it but basically it's a classic that most people keep on their hard drive and fire up every now and then. Sometimes goons go a couple of months where they are rabid about it and play it a bunch and have a ton of fun. Also, the video Artless Meat posted

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

pixelbaron posted:

Hundreds of flyable planes that you don't have to grind or pay money to fly.
Relatively easy mission editor to make single player or multiplayer missions
Moving Dogfight Server (MDS) where you can create multiplayer coop missions where AI planes respawn, can give airfields resources and certain amount of planes, moving ships and ground forces, fronts, objectives etc and you can drop in and out as you want and they can go on for hours if you want.
Damage model is visually awesome still to this day.
Dynamic campaign generator, can do coop missions with goons, earn medals, battleground is persistent so places you bomb stay bombed until AI rebuilds etc. Can also play singleplayer if you want.
Modding scene

There's a lot of other features and small things that are cool about it but basically it's a classic that most people keep on their hard drive and fire up every now and then. Sometimes goons go a couple of months where they are rabid about it and play it a bunch and have a ton of fun. Also, the video Artless Meat posted

Those do seem pretty cool, especially the dynamic campaign & MDS points (also I really want to fly a P-38 for some reason and that had me eying 1946).

I think one of the things I find the most lacking in BoS is the total inability to rearm & refuel, which I also remember being annoying in Rise of Flight. Does anybody know if BoS through the mission editor or whatever even supports a rearm/refuel/repair mechanic?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Reztes posted:

Those do seem pretty cool, especially the dynamic campaign & MDS points (also I really want to fly a P-38 for some reason and that had me eying 1946).

The P-38 is an absolute joy to fly. It's perfectly stable all the time, has wide open visibility, and it looks badass.

Anyway, I'd be all over 1946 coop. Is whoever used to organize them still around? What version/mods/etc. do we need to get? I have 4.12.2m but IIRC the old IL-2 thread said 4.11 or something.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Reztes posted:

I think one of the things I find the most lacking in BoS is the total inability to rearm & refuel, which I also remember being annoying in Rise of Flight. Does anybody know if BoS through the mission editor or whatever even supports a rearm/refuel/repair mechanic?
What's wrong with landing and taking off in a fresh plane? It's functionally equivalent.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Il2:1946 in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roiYky4beJQ

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

All of the menu themes own, especially the Japanese one that sounds like evil trumpets farting.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shine posted:

The P-38 is an absolute joy to fly. It's perfectly stable all the time, has wide open visibility, and it looks badass.

Anyway, I'd be all over 1946 coop. Is whoever used to organize them still around? What version/mods/etc. do we need to get? I have 4.12.2m but IIRC the old IL-2 thread said 4.11 or something.

Me and EvilJoven were usually the hosts. We were all about no mods for multiplayer, just the latest patch 4.12.2m and that's it.

Should try to start up a server sometime and see if people can join up since I changed my provider recently.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Only real issue I had with Il2 unmodded was the loving whack-assed "Haha you dumb cunts thought they gave me a player FM in patch 4.0? Man you got trolled!" AI that was unpeelable, and just flew a loving optimum beeline 24/7.

Made flying any BnZ aircraft loving impossible, and really led to alot of the "USSR IS OP!" poo poo I imagine that plagued the Ubi forums in their heyday.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Only real issue I had with Il2 unmodded was the loving whack-assed "Haha you dumb cunts thought they gave me a player FM in patch 4.0? Man you got trolled!" AI that was unpeelable, and just flew a loving optimum beeline 24/7.

Made flying any BnZ aircraft loving impossible, and really led to alot of the "USSR IS OP!" poo poo I imagine that plagued the Ubi forums in their heyday.

Are there any good AI mods for it? Even if we don't use it for coop, I'd be interested in messing with it in singleplayer.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Moving Dogfight Server and Scorched Earth are pretty cool multiplayer ones, although they require a bit of effort to run.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
MDS isn't too bad because it's just like designing a normal mission. Only headache I had was timing AI spawns and trying to give people a variety of poo poo to do. Just time consuming.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I want to post my TB-3 jousting vid too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQxDCY0yUFM

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Ralith posted:

What's wrong with landing and taking off in a fresh plane? It's functionally equivalent.

I mean that would be fine, too but can you even do that in BoS? I didn't know there was any way in SP/campaign to get a fresh plane without starting a new mission.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Reztes posted:

I mean that would be fine, too but can you even do that in BoS? I didn't know there was any way in SP/campaign to get a fresh plane without starting a new mission.

I don't think that you can in the campaign, but otherwise if the settings allow you can spawn into new planes yes. From memory.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Moving Dogfight Server and Scorched Earth are pretty cool multiplayer ones, although they require a bit of effort to run.

MDS looks pretty cool. To clarify, do either of these affect AI behavior, specifically the stuff Dandywalken was talking about?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I know that the last couple of patches addressed AI behavior so they would be more human and not so perfect. I'm not sure if engine management and that sort of thing was changed, which was the major criticism of the AI.

I have a couple of EvilJoven's MDS missions and can put some up if anyone wants to mess around.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Thanks, I'll download it later.

On a side note, the Steam version of IL-2: 1946 is on sale for $5 through Indie Gala.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I assume UP3 what I want to download for MDS?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
MDS is in the official game now. Don't need any mods.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You don't need mods for MDS the better AI 6DOF or anything else.

Mods really ate only necessary if you really just can't handle having only 13 versions of the 109.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cool, that simplifies things!

I love when this happens:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
When you disintegrate the plane or when you disintegrate the plane as the pilot jumps out killing him?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Alright I got 1946 installed on my new computer and gonna be setting up my HOTAS soon. Anything I need to play with goons?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

When you disintegrate the plane or when you disintegrate the plane as the pilot jumps out killing him?

I didn't even notice that the explosion killed him. :lol:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Skoll posted:

Alright I got 1946 installed on my new computer and gonna be setting up my HOTAS soon. Anything I need to play with goons?

That all you need.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You need mumble and whisky.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Hmm correct!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

loaded up hyper lobby and there arent anywhere close to full servers anymore :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SaltLick posted:

loaded up hyper lobby and there arent anywhere close to full servers anymore :(

I think Cliffs of Dover still has some pretty active servers, now that it's been patched to functionality. Doesn't have anywhere near as many planes, though :(.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

You don't need mods for MDS the better AI 6DOF or anything else.

Mods really ate only necessary if you really just can't handle having only 13 versions of the 109.
Any flight simulator that doesn't let me fly a Bf-109G-6/ASU4R3 isn't worth my time. :colbert:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I've been playing 1946 again recently with some goons*
It's a great game but sometimes I resent it for tricking me into buying TWO bad games since.

*but we're all in Australia, sorry guys.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Splode posted:

I've been playing 1946 again recently with some goons*
It's a great game but sometimes I resent it for tricking me into buying TWO bad games since.

*but we're all in Australia, sorry guys.

This is actually good. I always miss out on the Il2 sessions because :australia:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I downloaded that goon map pack from the old thread. Those missions looks like tons of fun. I like how some have a bombing objective along with the dogfighting; it reminds me of the combined arms battles in War Thunder. One in particular has fighters tying up a bunch of Zeroes so other players can go after ships. The P-38 is so great.

Ausgoons: I'm often awake around 18:00-19:00 Sydney time, so assuming this game doesn't get ruined by some intercontinental lag I'd be happy to hop in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The old Scorched Earth Africa missions were a lot of fun, flying around the desert looking for panzers and bomber formations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I came here from the War Thunder thread where they said that IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 was only $5 at Indie Gala. Anyway I bought it but now I'm realizing there's like 900 versions of this game and you guys are talking about Battle of Stalingrad and that's like $60 and did I get the wrong version and I'm a dumb idiot or do people still play what I picked up?

Edit: Okay yeah mine came out like eight years ago so that kind of explains why it was so cheap. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
IL2 1946 (the old one you bought) is what the last several posts are discussing.