Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Thyrork posted:

I thought the Galic gun was purple? :raise:

Let's google image search this. Hm. So it is. It's red in Xenoverse...

As far as Namek stuff goes, I think it was a bad call for Goku to not have been with the team from the start. Oh yeah and putting him out of condition as soon as he arrived was also a bad idea.

The setting of Namek itself I also think was a bad call. It's not a rich interesting world like Earth, but it's open, expansive, and bright. It's all so very blah. I think it would have been better for the story to have either been on a bleak nightmarish world with claustrophobic surroundings or the world should have had more to see, like Namekian cities or amazing Namekian gardens if they're not into that whole technology thing.

From the point they stick Goku in the healing tank, I actually really start to hate the Namek saga. Like hate it a lot. Probably because before then we had some tension and interesting fights, but after that everyone is totally useless and they have to wait for this rear end in a top hat to come and save them. It's like Goku gets to cut in line or something. He hasn't paid his loving Namek dues, dammit. In other words, my like of the Namek saga died with the Ginyu Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Namek is one big "okay I'll fight you but we need to fly somewhere else so people don't get hurt."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xibanya posted:

As far as Namek stuff goes, I think it was a bad call for Goku to not have been with the team from the start. Oh yeah and putting him out of condition as soon as he arrived was also a bad idea.

The setting of Namek itself I also think was a bad call. It's not a rich interesting world like Earth, but it's open, expansive, and bright. It's all so very blah. I think it would have been better for the story to have either been on a bleak nightmarish world with claustrophobic surroundings or the world should have had more to see, like Namekian cities or amazing Namekian gardens if they're not into that whole technology thing.

From the point they stick Goku in the healing tank, I actually really start to hate the Namek saga. Like hate it a lot. Probably because before then we had some tension and interesting fights, but after that everyone is totally useless and they have to wait for this rear end in a top hat to come and save them. It's like Goku gets to cut in line or something. He hasn't paid his loving Namek dues, dammit. In other words, my like of the Namek saga died with the Ginyu Force.

I see what you mean, but at the same time, c'mon. You can't tell me the fight with Freeza isn't pretty cool.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Which one thing that I am suprised Kai still didn't cut was the multiple cutaways to Goku still in the healing tank reacting to the battle with Frieza. It got old after about the tenth time of him going "someone power level is rapidly dropping" while the tank is only suppose to be kept going for a few more minutes.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
TFS episode 20 is my favorite episodes and I won't let you ruin the glory.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spiritus Nox posted:

I see what you mean, but at the same time, c'mon. You can't tell me the fight with Freeza isn't pretty cool.

It's too fuckin' long, even in the manga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xibanya posted:

I absolutely disagree with you. The Namek Saga is really good when Goku isn't there. It goes from "strong punchman beats weak punchman forever" into "weak punchman (see: Krillin) has to outsmart far stronger punchmen and succeeds in both living and getting the Dragon Balls". Vegeta being smart and outsmarting every other villain, and Krillin outsmarting Vegeta is loving great and it is far more fun to watch than just more mindless fights.

If anything, it saddens me that apparently Vegeta's brain was not revived with his body after the saga. Vegeta in the Androids Saga is far more idiotic and reckless, in comparison to the cocky but intelligent Freeza Saga Vegeta.

I wish Goku had not appeared in Namek at all. It's when he appears that the saga goes from something unique to more strong punchman beats weak punchman, it becomes once again a matter of outsmarting people when he gets stuck in the healing tank (with Krillin playing Vegeta like a boss), and then back to punchmen with Freeza and Super Saiyan Goku (not like that wasn't awesome, mind you, though it could be shorter).

The only thing I agree is that Namek is pretty boring, but I can see the reason why it is such a desolate boring place. Still not the most fun place.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm so glad DBM is back to a fight. The Zen Buu story was getting tedious. I liked it, but it had so much unnecessary padding.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Leaf posted:

I'm so glad DBM is back to a fight. The Zen Buu story was getting tedious. I liked it, but it had so much unnecessary padding.

I also really loving love how many people in this comic keep using Kaioken. Uub, Alternate Amazon Videl, Alternate Future Krillen and Tien, and I swear someone else too. Kaioken is rad and I wish people had kept using it. Bitchin' red auras for life.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xibanya posted:

It's purple there too. The only red beam there is the x10 Kamehameha.

Also the Android saga is keeping within Vegeta's character pretty well. Consistently throughout the series he only fights when A) He is(or THINKS he is) stronger than his opponent, or B) when he absolutely has to. A leads into B a lot as he loves to write checks he can't cash. It's weird that one of his most interesting character traits is that he's pretty much a schoolyard bully. It's why his whole revelation vs Kid Buu is such a big deal.

And sorry but despite whatever misgivings anyone has with Goku as a character his fights tend to loving rule.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I absolutely disagree with you. The Namek Saga is really good when Goku isn't there. It goes from "strong punchman beats weak punchman forever" into "weak punchman (see: Krillin) has to outsmart far stronger punchmen and succeeds in both living and getting the Dragon Balls". Vegeta being smart and outsmarting every other villain, and Krillin outsmarting Vegeta is loving great and it is far more fun to watch than just more mindless fights.

If anything, it saddens me that apparently Vegeta's brain was not revived with his body after the saga. Vegeta in the Androids Saga is far more idiotic and reckless, in comparison to the cocky but intelligent Freeza Saga Vegeta.

I wish Goku had not appeared in Namek at all. It's when he appears that the saga goes from something unique to more strong punchman beats weak punchman, it becomes once again a matter of outsmarting people when he gets stuck in the healing tank (with Krillin playing Vegeta like a boss), and then back to punchmen with Freeza and Super Saiyan Goku (not like that wasn't awesome, mind you, though it could be shorter).

The only thing I agree is that Namek is pretty boring, but I can see the reason why it is such a desolate boring place. Still not the most fun place.

Vegeta has always been a cocky idiot.

He just isn't cocky when he knows he is inferior.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
When is Revival of F coming to US theaters?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I agree that all of Namek when Goku isn't on planet is good. It's only when he gets there that things start to get tedious. As I've said before it need more Goku or less Goku. Namek has a suboptimal quantity of Goku.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

When is Revival of F coming to US theaters?

August.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kild posted:

August.

Who else is mad hype? Also, this means we'll get Dragonball Super before Resurrection F, assuming Toei does a simulcast deal like they do with One Piece.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx

Xibanya posted:

I agree that all of Namek when Goku isn't on planet is good. It's only when he gets there that things start to get tedious. As I've said before it need more Goku or less Goku. Namek has a suboptimal quantity of Goku.

No, seriously, gently caress you you tedious intellectual. For all your posting you can't possibly comprehend how powerful Goku was after training at 100x Earth gravity. I would invite you to buy yourself an experience at he Perry County Faire or wherever but you would be crushed as the maggot you are. Perhaps if you had read Howard Zinn's Magnus cursed Opus you would understand the difference between labor and birthright. Goku fought his entire life against, power. Freeza was born to rule.

Basically vote democrat and bring back LF

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think an evil version Goku from the future should be the final villain of Super. It would be cool because then we'd have two Gokus.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Holy poo poo, aw hells yeah.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

I think an evil version Goku from the future should be the final villain of Super. It would be cool because then we'd have two Gokus.

Turles already exists, you know. Not from the future, still evil Goku.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Turles already exists, you know. Not from the future, still evil Goku.

Turles grew a tree. Would Goku grow a tree? Nope, ergo not Goku enough.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Raxivace posted:

Turles grew a tree. Would Goku grow a tree? Nope, ergo not Goku enough.

Goku does grows Radishes though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Goku does grows Radishes though.

Radishes are okay, since Goku grows them. Trees are lame though, and you'd never catch my man Goku growing one of those.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Raxivace posted:

I think we should have someone better than just ANY Son Goku.

We should have... Son Goku

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

The fights are the worst when it's just one page per day though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watching Kai and reached the Cell vs 17 fight, which is the point Abridged is still pending on. Man Impefect Cell is super creepy even in the normal version. Especially when his powerup shows the souls of the damned spinning around him.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Cell is baller.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Agree. Even through I never really got to watch the Cell Saga (always wanted but never got a chance), cell was always my favorite of the villains.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Raxivace posted:

Radishes are okay, since Goku grows them. Trees are lame though, and you'd never catch my man Goku growing one of those.

what if it grew food on it?????

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Q posted:

A radish tree.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cell was the creepiest of the villains. He got less creepy with every transformation but still

Freeza was an rear end in a top hat for sure but more in that Tyrant Ruler kind of way. Buu also had a bunch of creepy moments, like when he turns an entire city of people into candyballs and eats them all

But Cell just straight up walks around drinking people. He impales people with his tail and drinks them. That was super creepy for a kids show

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Xibanya posted:

The Red Ribbon Army is like a proto-Planet Trade Corp. army. General Blue is like a proto-Vegeta. (hmm, deliberate Nazi allusion vs. a proponent of good breeding)

They even have the same voice in the spanish dub! :haw:

Covok posted:

Didn't Goku once randomly read Krillin's mind? As did Piccolo and Kami?

AND he knew everything that was happening while unconscious during the android/Cell saga through dreams.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There is nothing wrong with how the Namek saga plays out until Goku is in the healing pod, even the saga's switch from outsmarting the enemy to 'punchmans' as you guys like to call it. The outsmarting ends with Recoome. Krillin, Vegeta, and Gohan are able to use their resources to survive as long as they feasibly can; but when the Ginyu Force and new scouters show up, they are at the end of their rope. Cue Goku coming in and eventually saving the day.

That's the point of the Freeza saga, and anyone who dislikes how it plays out with respect to Goku is not seeing the point of the narrative. Freeza was smart, Freeza was powerful, Freeza was not going to be outsmarted by shenanigans. Goku is the returning hero. If Goku is there the whole time, it's not as special when he actually is there. And if Goku is there the whole time, the whole 'outsmart the enemy' thing is lost since the one character who is to settle things is incapable of doing that.

The problem lies in Goku going in the healing tank. You basically have a complete retread of the 'Goku's gone! What do we do?' narrative followed by another heroic return of 'next level Goku'; but instead of a logical explanation of how he got so powerful, it's explained with DB's worst narrative element.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
On the way to work today, I saw a Frieza semi truck. It was perfect. The cab was white with a shade of lavender for the giant top spoiler, door panels, and trim along the bottom that can only be described as "Frieza Purple". I really wanted to take a picture and put a witty "this isn't even my final form" joke up, but I was driving and safety blah blah blah. Granted, the trucker probably didn't have Frieza in mind, but if I ever found out it was intentional, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

They even have the same voice in the spanish dub! :haw:

Yeah but there are only like five voice actors in all of Spain tops. :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm glad "There are only 5/10 voice actors in the whole country" isn't a thing limited to French and other European languages.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Captain Q posted:

What if it grew Kais on it?

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Leroy Dennui posted:

What if it grew Kais on it?

Checkmate atheists :c00lbert:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

I'm glad "There are only 5/10 voice actors in the whole country" isn't a thing limited to French and other European languages.

Spain, noted non-European country. :v:

One of my profes used to insist that there was an actor's lobby getting regulations forcing everything on TV to be dubbed and that's why nobody in Spain can speak English for poo poo.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Spain, noted non-European country. :v:

One of my profes used to insist that there was an actor's lobby getting regulations forcing everything on TV to be dubbed and that's why nobody in Spain can speak English for poo poo.
Of course not! :doh:
Sorry about that, that was insensitive of me.
I don't know why but despite the very blatant mention of Spain my mind kinda gravitated towards South America for some reason. I think because of how popular the series is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Xibanya posted:

this is insane and namek owned bones

• Locked thread