Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mico posted:

Hi does anyone have experience capturing video from a Galaxy Tab 4? Googling reveals most micro-usb to hdmi adapters just straight up don't work with the Tab 4, and I'm wondering if there are any apps I should know about that can broadcast my device screen to a PC or some sort of wireless hdmi thingamajig (I know chromecast can do it but I only need this one specific function so if there's a cheaper device I'm all for that)

followup: most don't work and the few that do output like 10 fps i am VERY angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So I want to make a custom Megaman boss intro screen and splice it into my LP at the start of a video. I can get the audio portion done no problem, my issue is figuring out how to do the video part. I've already made a super pro sprite in MSPaint but I'm not clear on how to do the rest of it. Maybe editing individual frames of a GIF and inserting that through Avisynth? Is that a thing?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

dscruffy1 posted:

So I want to make a custom Megaman boss intro screen and splice it into my LP at the start of a video. I can get the audio portion done no problem, my issue is figuring out how to do the video part. I've already made a super pro sprite in MSPaint but I'm not clear on how to do the rest of it. Maybe editing individual frames of a GIF and inserting that through Avisynth? Is that a thing?

You can load the animated GIF directly with ImageSourceAnim if your Avisynth is up to date: Reference Or if all of the moving parts are static sprites, you can source them separately and use Animate, ApplyRange, and Layer/Overlay to plop them on top of the static background wherever you want them. If they're moving sprites, you'd then have to import the animated GIFs or layer each frame of the animation individually, which can certainly be done but would be a lot more work than it sounds like you've got there.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Might help too: http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_started_with_overlays_and_animations_%28dynamic/moving_overlays%29_using_Avisynth

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Figured it out, it required a lot of screwing with color conversions and learning new programs. Went with a series of layered images instead of the animated gif, had a nice learning experience today. I'd remembered seeing that link before but this was the first time I really dug into it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mico posted:

followup: most don't work and the few that do output like 10 fps i am VERY angry

Yeah I was having a poo poo lot of trouble recording from my tablet as well, but if you're just looking to record I found a way that worked well enough for my my needs. It's not perfect, but you can screen record on android using debug bridge. There's a three minute limit, so you have to set up a batch file to keep your recordings going, and there's going to be a short gap between, but it's serviceable. It also doesn't capture audio, so you'd need to do that through the audio jack. It's not the most ideal way to do things, but it works.

e: I can give you more details if you need, give you the batch file I've been using or whatever.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 4, 2015

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I managed to get android emulation working after like 12 hours of arcane techological magic.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You getting decent frame rates from that? 'Cus I never did.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

ReidRansom posted:

You getting decent frame rates from that? 'Cus I never did.

Droid4x is giving me a mostly consistent 60 fps at 720p
Genymotion was almost as good but has the "free for personal use" watermark in the corner and the framerate was less good.
AndyOS didn't work so badly that it actually broke my working Genymotion setup
Did not even try Bluestacks.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mico posted:

Droid4x is giving me a mostly consistent 60 fps at 720p
Genymotion was almost as good but has the "free for personal use" watermark in the corner and the framerate was less good.
AndyOS didn't work so badly that it actually broke my working Genymotion setup
Did not even try Bluestacks.

Ah, I was trying the emulator in the android SDK.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Thank you for telling me about Droid4x! I've needed a better one for ages, Bluestacks is seemingly good but really bloated, AndyOS is even worse and made by people who make Malware from what I recall, and any others don't really work from what I've seen.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The main downside to 4x is that it takes FOREVER to install I actually had to let it run overnight, the installer was downloading the packages at like 2kb/s

Also for anyone new to Android emulation go into your PC's bios and turn on Virtualization otherwise poo poo wont work right.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I want to use an external capture device for my macbook, and am really drawn to the black magic shuttle (because of the thunderbolt part + hdmi and analog inputs), but from supergreatfriend's comparison, it looks like it doesn't have any options for compressing while recording except for its jpeg compression (which is poo poo)?

Should I just get the HD PVR2 recorder and then deal with whatever extra crap I might need to make it work?

Ideally, I'd like to have the game running on the tv, my friend and I using one microphone (or two if we can make that work) plugged into the macbook and being recorded by audacity, then edit everything after the fact.

But if it's purely uncompressed that won't be very long term (like, one video at a time, I guess, unless I get an external thunderbolt hard drive which are ridiculous expensive).

Am I thinking of this the wrong way?

(There's a used black magic thunderbolt shuttle on Amazon for 120 bucks so I'm just going to try it and see. I'll post results this weekend)

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 5, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
That comparison ignores the Elgato, which will do what you want fine and is basically the de facto choice of external capture boxes these days. If you want to capture 1080p60, you'll need the newer Elgato, the Game Capture HD60. If you only need up to 720p60 and want to capture older consoles using composite video, get the older Elgato, the Game Capture HD.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gonna second the recommendation for the Elgato. The quality is good, it's really easy to use and the passthrough lets you have the game going on your choice of HDMI-supported display. There are two models, the older Game Capture HD and the new HD60. The older one does 1080p30fps, but can get 60 fps recordings if you're at a lower resolution and also allows you to record older consoles over composite right out of the box or over S-video if you buy an analog video adapter. The HD60 gets 1080p60, but only accepts HDMI, so you can't record older consoles without converting their output to HDMI and you can't record anything with HDCP, like the PS3, without something to remove the HDCP signal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, gif optimization wizards, I need some help. For the end of my Resident Evil: Revelations 2 LP, I want to do a series of images for all of the figurines because those are a staple of RE games and it's cool to have a model viewer type thing. Here's the problem I'm having:

The gifs are 14 mb large. They're so large, in fact, that I HAVE to host them on my puush for you to be able to see them, and sometimes they just decide not to load unless you refresh.

I want them to be at this size because it allows me to put information/bio stuff about the characters in the margins of their pic (which I haven't done yet at the time of posting this). So I ask you, tech support fort thread, because I don't know what I'm doing: Is there a way to make these be smaller in filesize while still mostly retaining the quality and image dimensions? I WOULD convert them to gifv/webm, which are much smaller and would have the same smoothness, but LPix doesn't accept images with the .webm file type!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

CJacobs posted:

So, gif optimization wizards, I need some help. For the end of my Resident Evil: Revelations 2 LP, I want to do a series of images for all of the figurines because those are a staple of RE games and it's cool to have a model viewer type thing. Here's the problem I'm having:

The gifs are 14 mb large.

I want them to be at this size because it allows me to put information/bio stuff about the characters in the margins of their pic (which I haven't done yet at the time of posting this). So I ask you, tech support fort thread, because I don't know what I'm doing: Is there a way to make these be smaller in filesize while still mostly retaining the quality and image dimensions? I WOULD convert them to gifv/webm, which are much smaller and would have the same smoothness, but LPix doesn't accept images with the .webm file type!
You could just upload the webm to imgur? But really, there's no way to have a gif that resolution be a reasonable size unless you wanted it to be able three frames.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Niggurath posted:

You could just upload the webm to imgur?

That's the problem I'm having. When the LP is finished and Baldurk puts it on the archive, all the non-lpix images will be put on lpix so they can be preserved, but since lpix can't do webms I'm stuck. I don't wanna put them on imgur because it's imgur and they remove images if they aren't looked at for a certain amount of time, and I don't want to leave them on my puush or dropbox because I only have a limited amount of space on them.

edit: Does imgur still delete images if you upload them from an account? If they just do it for anonymous uploads then screw it I'll just make an account to dump the webms on, that way Baldurk won't have to mess with anything.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 7, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

That's the problem I'm having. When the LP is finished and Baldurk puts it on the archive, all the non-lpix images will be put on lpix so they can be preserved, but since lpix can't do webms I'm stuck. I don't wanna put them on imgur because it's imgur and they remove images if they aren't looked at for a certain amount of time, and I don't want to leave them on my puush or dropbox because I only have a limited amount of space on them.

edit: Does imgur still delete images if you upload them from an account? If they just do it for anonymous uploads then screw it I'll just make an account to dump the webms on, that way Baldurk won't have to mess with anything.
If this is to be believed, they changed the policy: https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/201476457-How-long-do-you-keep-the-images-

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, good. Well hell I'll just throw the gifs on imgur and let it convert them to gifv by itself then, save myself a step. The webm type it converts them to is only 1-2mb large which is kind of amazing. Webm really is a technological marvel.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Oh, good. Well hell I'll just throw the gifs on imgur and let it convert them to gifv by itself then, save myself a step. The webm type it converts them to is only 1-2mb large which is kind of amazing. Webm really is a technological marvel.
Yeah, I just hope soon that embedding them and being able to upload them to lpix might be feasible in the future.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you have SALR you can enable embedded Webms, although that doesn't do anything about not being able to host them on lpix. also if you want to use them for an LP it'll only work if people have SALR

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
use an xng

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cake Attack posted:

if you have SALR you can enable embedded Webms, although that doesn't do anything about not being able to host them on lpix. also if you want to use them for an LP it'll only work if people have SALR

I'm not using them in-line, they're going to be linked from thumbnail images, like this:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Grrr...I thought I'd give Droid4x a try since I have stitching videos together, but it's telling me it doesn't support my processor. AMD Phenom II 960T. Apparently this is a problem for a lot of people. I found some poo poo in portuguese saying you can just change the name of the processor in the registry, but that sounds shady.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tangentially related to LP stuff - what's a good free program to convert flv / mp4 / mkv files to avi?

Edit - I just want snip bits and pieces of a file out in virtuadub, which only works with avi files. "All you have to do is type out the exact seconds you want to use in a precise format and then run an encoding process" is bit too much work.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 9, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The best option is not doing that.

No, seriously, why do you want to do that? What is your actual use case?

Because the answer depends on what you're actually trying to do. I don't think AVI does variable frame rate at all, so not all MP4 files even can be converted to remuxed into an AVI, and even then, you really shouldn't.

I'm assuming your actual question involves transcoding to a specific video format for a specific platform, but since that's not what you asked, I have no idea.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You can open more file types in vDub using AVISynth scripts, just import them with FFMpegSource2 or something.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
And then, once you've got the Avisynth script with the video open already, typing the frame numbers is just a few extra steps over doing the trims in VDub and exporting the AVIs. Just saying.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

Tangentially related to LP stuff - what's a good free program to convert flv / mp4 / mkv files to avi?

Edit - I just want snip bits and pieces of a file out in virtuadub, which only works with avi files. "All you have to do is type out the exact seconds you want to use in a precise format and then run an encoding process" is bit too much work.

I think you can use Avidemux to just snip the pieces you want (it supports mp4 and mkv not sure about flv) and you don't need to reencode the video. It works like VirtualDub.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Literally "why not use chopsticks instead of a fork? They're way more convenient and you get a bit of dexterity exercise while you're at it".

Because I'd rather use a fork? The concept really shouldn't be that hard.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Literally "why not use chopsticks instead of a fork? They're way more convenient and you get a bit of dexterity exercise while you're at it".

Maybe you'd have more time to use the tools if you didn't spend so much time "hiding" youtube videos in your posts? What's up with that?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Mod challenge

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
So all we have to do is trick Xander77 into posting without including an anime music video, and we can be rid of him once and for all? Hmm...

Also, thanks for editing your answer into your post, Xander, that prevented me from seeing that you even answered.

Xander77 posted:

So you're not going to use a tool that likely would work for your needs (in this case Avidemux, which I'm guessing you haven't even bothered looking at), because you've decided you'd rather convert to AVI and do it in VirtualDub. OK...

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone ever encounter audio desync when using a ShadowPlay recording and FFMpegSource? Because I have. (This is even after adjusting for variable frame rates by telling it to output at a steady frame rate.)

Thankfully, there's a fairly simple solution, and it involves FFMpeg. (But not FFMpegSource.)

FFMpeg has an audio filter that attempts to correct audio sync issues. (It isn't enabled by default because ... you know what, I don't know why.) In any case, you can have it just dump the audio to a WAV file that you can then use as your audio source. The WAV file will be corrected to include the correct audio.

Running it is fairly simple:

code:
ffmpeg -i "recording.mp4" -vn -codec:a pcm_f32le -filter:a aresample=async=1000 "recording synced.wav"
What this does is take your input file (-i "recording.mp4"), tell it to exclude video (-vn), use floating point little-endian PCM as the output codec (-codec:a pcm_f32le, this is a type of WAV and can be read using WAVSource), apply the resample filter and be willing to adjust up to 1,000 samples to keep it in sync (-filter:a aresample=async=1000) and then write the whole thing to "recording synced.wav".

Hopefully this helps someone else who's discovered that FFMpegSource desynced a video that otherwise plays fine everywhere else. (Note that this is a separate issue from variable frame rate issues.)

As a side effect, by decoding your audio to a raw format, this should also resolve any audio seek issues, as FFMpegSource is frame accurate for video but explicitly not sample-accurate for audio.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A couple of my Elgato videos are interlaced instead of progressive; should I be leaving the Game Capture software for some amount of time to work through that before recording another video, or is there something else I'm missing?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

Also, thanks for editing your answer into your post, Xander, that prevented me from seeing that you even answered.
It wasn't an answer though, just a clarification of the original post?

Also, harsh.

quote:

So you're not going to use a tool that likely would work for your needs (in this case Avidemux, which I'm guessing you haven't even bothered looking at), because you've decided you'd rather convert to AVI and do it in VirtualDub. OK...
I'm still not not sure why "You shouldn't do what you want, you should do something else instead" is a thing, but... here's a video of me deleting a part of a video file, scrolling past a part I want to keep, deleting another part, scrolling past another part I want to keep, and saving the two parts. All in 30 seconds flat, using a program I'm really comfortable with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxKNruKZsOc

If the program you're recommending is just as fast and convenient (= no typing) I'll give it a try. If not, could you recommend a program that does what I need, (particularly since every program I used on my old computer is now spyware infested)?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
So, no, you haven't even looked at Avidemux, since the UI is almost identical to VirtualDub's, except it can open MP4 files natively. Whether or not it will actually meet your needs I can't say, because I haven't used it, but you could at least try it. (I would assume that in order to be frame-accurate it would need to re-encode the file.)

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 10, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

So, no, you haven't even looked at Avidemux, since the UI is almost identical to VirtualDub's, except it can open MP4 files natively. Whether or not it will actually meet your needs I can't say, because I haven't used it, but you could at least try it. (I would assume that in order to be frame-accurate it would need to re-encode the file.)
Huh.

Turns out that I was confusing it with AvsPmod. That seems to work. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

A couple of my Elgato videos are interlaced instead of progressive; should I be leaving the Game Capture software for some amount of time to work through that before recording another video, or is there something else I'm missing?

What are you trying to record? I don't know if it deinterlaces natively interlaced footage.