Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah people were absolutely racist as gently caress about GTA:SA

The mods were the extension of a bunch of people talking about how they "couldn't relate" to a black protagonist, while apparently having no problems relating to a career criminal or in the case of other videogames assassins, elves, Martians, cyborgs, and wizards

Or the backlash against Life Is Strange, because apparently it's easier to identify with a rapist serial-killer than a teenage girl at art school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Bicyclops posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to start my Seinfeld in GTA5 team now?

It's okay. He sometimes spells Jerry with a "G." And an "i"!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ChickenMedium posted:

It's okay. He sometimes spells Jerry with a "G." And an "i"!
Oh, there's a Strangers With Candy game now?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

They lost the spike of old players that returned for the expansion, everybody knew they weren't going to stick around. I wouldn't say WoW is legitimately on the decline until they have another failure of an expansion like Cataclysm.

The thing about cata was it felt like they were really trying to get everyone super deeply invested into the world of warcraft lore and to try and tell a single narrative to someone leveling up their character, which just does not work in an MMO

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

Or the backlash against Life Is Strange, because apparently it's easier to identify with a rapist serial-killer than a teenage girl at art school.

To be fair, if you spend most of your time around normal people, it's entirely possible to not know about these backlashes of terrible gamers saying terrible things. Like, I can imagine white racists being really pissed off about San Andreas but I can't really remember it from back when it was out. Same with Life is Strange and whatever weird subsection of gamers take issue with that series. If you just buy and play games and maybe post on a board like this about games from time to time, you just don't come in contact with that level of crazy. Also never setup a twitter account because it's becoming a cesspool worse than youtube comment sections.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm so glad we have the MMO HMO. I thought maybe i would enjoy playing an MMO again. After reading a few OPs I was reminded that all MMOs are bad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nasgate posted:

I'm so glad we have the MMO HMO. I thought maybe i would enjoy playing an MMO again. After reading a few OPs I was reminded that all MMOs are bad.
The only thing worse than MMOs are MOBAs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

just buy and play games

:agreed:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only offensive thing about Life is Strange is the game's adult writers trying to mimic young adult slang with so poor an understanding that they actually think people say the word 'hella' out loud in normal conversation

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Hella play games this month

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I invented Let's Plays apparently???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

The only offensive thing about Life is Strange is the game's adult writers trying to mimic young adult slang with so poor an understanding that they actually think people say the word 'hella' out loud in normal conversation

They don't?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Aside from a couple of instances of "Steve Buscemi with a skateboard.jpg", Life is Strange is otherwise real good at portraying awkward as poo poo teenagers. Like the game even has this total goonlord character that channels some of the sheer gooniness of the best and brightest of this here forums such as Granos or that guy who carried that printer for miles.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, there's a Strangers With Candy game now?
"I GOT SOMETHING TO PLAY!"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Accordion Man posted:

The only thing worse than MMOs are MOBAs.

The only thing worse than mobas are free to play loli simulators.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
rip taint reaper

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Spoilering stuff for people is the worst poo poo ever, I actually never play games for the story ever and still find that unacceptable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kewpuh posted:

rip taint reaper

those are bad games at least

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

rip taint reaper

What did he do this time?

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

CJacobs posted:

if you don't know anyone who says 'hella' out loud then i'm afraid you've gotten old

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

What did he do this time?

Taint Reaper. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Problem Sleuth posted:

if you don't know anyone who says 'hella' out loud then i'm afraid you've gotten old

I say hella all the time and people say it makes me sound old

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

I say hella all the time and people say it makes me sound old

Maybe the old is coming from...... inside me!???

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It was the telltale sign that someone I'd be talking to at school came from NorCal. At least 15 years ago. I actually don't know if people say that anymore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kids say mad all the time like "there were mad people there" and people said that 15 years ago in high school so maybe kids probably say hella today too because that's newer still.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Problem Sleuth posted:

PRINCIPAL SKINNER: Am I out of touch? No, it is the game devs who are wrong.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

PRINCIPAL SKINNER: Am I out of touch? No, it is the game devs who are wrong.

This post is mad hella, bro

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CJacobs posted:

the problem with Life is Strange is that it's trying to be a John Green / Perks of Being A Wallflower style young adult Problem Novel. i guess if that's your thing it's great, but it feels very pandery and artificial to me, like those novels.

and yeah nobody i knew said 'hella' at least in the midwest

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 7, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I mentally lump the racist GTA gamers with horse vagina modders. Village idiots didn't have a platform to spout their insanity before the internet, now they do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

adolescent slang varies extremely widely based upon region and sometimes even school per school, so trying to imitate it too much is always going to be Buscemi in 30 Rock dot gif. I was at a literary conference last weekend and every published author who writes YA has said that unless you're making up your own slang or it's something that people have been saying for like 60 years, then don't write in slang, because by the time you publish, it will be outdated.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

adolescent slang varies extremely widely based upon region and sometimes even school per school, so trying to imitate it too much is always going to be Buscemi in 30 Rock dot gif. I was at a literary conference last weekend and every published author who writes YA has said that unless you're making up your own slang or it's something that people have been saying for like 60 years, then don't write in slang, because by the time you publish, it will be outdated.
Righteous!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

don't have a cow, FactsAreUseless

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Ekster posted:

I mentally lump the racist GTA gamers with horse vagina modders. Village idiots didn't have a platform to spout their insanity before the internet, now they do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:lol: for a sec, I was like "That bloody glass sword actually looks kind of cool, I might try that at some point if I were still doing mods," and then I noticed they're charging 25 cents for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was thinking I wanted to play Skyrim again to get my open world RPG fix, but then I remembered Witcher 3 comes out soon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

$100 for the horse vaginas must be some kind of social experiment

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I challenge you to find high quality horse vaginas for less than $100 USD.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm extremely upset that i spent $15 for the on sale complete elder scrolls collection when i could have bought a mod labeled "rubbish" six times over for that price.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Bicyclops posted:

i'm extremely upset that i spent $15 for the on sale complete elder scrolls collection when i could have bought a mod labeled "rubbish" six times over for that price.

Dont forget the rubbish mod had DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

in reading the rubbish mod, it's actually really clear that whoever made it is making a mockery of paid mods or even people who take mods seriously, and it's pretty funny.

• Locked thread