Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
VMA Gun is great but it's a lot darker and bluer than Boltgun was. VMC Gunmetal is the best replacement I've found, though I hear the Scale75 metallics are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
VMA Gungrey is good for dirty boltgun look but it's air-brush-only, surprisingly poor for brushing on, especially since VMA Steel does it just fine.

I use Army Painter Gunmetal now and I love it, it's hmm a tiny bit brownish (or less blue?) but it adds to the effect if anything. Not sure how it compares to the actual citadel one because my pot of Boltgun Metal is probably caked solid from disuse :v:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

VMA Gun is great but it's a lot darker and bluer than Boltgun was. VMC Gunmetal is the best replacement I've found, though I hear the Scale75 metallics are great.

Scale 75 metallics are super legit, but there isn't a direct boltgun replacement there either. VGC gun metal is really close color wise, but ughhhh vallejo metallics that aren't air. But, I've thrown off the shackles of gun metal and do all my true metallics in scale 75 and golden fluid acrylics now. And then promptly ruin them by varnishing over them.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't know if any of you are in the Philadelphia area, but if so, anyone planning to go the Miniature Figure Collectors of America annual show this weekend? The group is focused on painting and sculpting, as they had a rift in the 1980s to boot out game playing. Other fun facts; they are the oldest group of minature figure painters in the country, this convention is either the oldest or second oldest of it and wargaming's ilk in the country, and they held the first public fantasy based wargame ever at one of their conventions in the 1960s (Lord of the Rings Based of course).

There are a ton of photos of the mini's from last year's show here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.880144182002699.1073741837.100000213758410&type=1

I'll be there Saturday for a few hours with my camera. Should be fun.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Black Backdrop, Frosted Glass Surface
My sweet spot. The backdrop absorbs most of the light, but the frosted glass bounces back enough to fill the lightbox with refracted light... no direct light needed so its way softer, but it requires long exposures to work.

If you're like me and spend 100s of hours painting and modeling, the cost of a better camera is worth giving your hard work the justice it deserves.

Where did you pick up the frosted glass?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's actually micro-etched glass on my desk. Its black, but somehow also reflects light despite being a pretty matt surface. I dunno where to get it outside of the desk manufacturer.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

It's actually micro-etched glass on my desk. Its black, but somehow also reflects light despite being a pretty matt surface. I dunno where to get it outside of the desk manufacturer.

It's all good. I think I can use some cheap photo frame glass and some etching solution to get myself a sheet.

In other news, Deathjackin':

click for more!

QuasarInfinity
Mar 13, 2003

I routinely spend all of my money on Warhammer models.

!amicable posted:

It's all good. I think I can use some cheap photo frame glass and some etching solution to get myself a sheet.

click for more!

This loving rules.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

!amicable posted:

click for more!

That is loving legit!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm getting married in a couple of months, and my fiancee suggested I could paint the caketoppers myself. Anyone happen to know about a cool set of bride and groom minis? Preferably 28mm. Googling is hard since the results are inundated with regular terrible plastic caketoppers.

Edit: could also be some sort of mounted medieval lady/princess, which I'm having a hell of a time finding.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 7, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Vampire minis often wear nice dresses, would probably need a head swap though lol

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Throbbing blob posted:

I'm getting married in a couple of months, and my fiancee suggested I could paint the caketoppers myself. Anyone happen to know about a cool set of bride and groom minis? Preferably 28mm. Googling is hard since the results are inundated with regular terrible plastic caketoppers.

Edit: could also be some sort of mounted medieval lady/princess, which I'm having a hell of a time finding.

Hasslefree Miniatures do a lot of ladies in nice evening dresses (and a fair few without). Not sure where you'd get the guy though. They do a goonish figure though!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Yeah thanks but apparently it's impossible to find a non-titty mini when you search for 28mm woman/lady/princess miniature.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Throbbing blob posted:

Yeah thanks but apparently it's impossible to find a non-titty mini when you search for 28mm woman/lady/princess miniature.

Not sure what's a titty mini in your book. It might be hard to find one that doesn't look like a C+ cup but I found a few that don't seem to turn the exploitation up to 11.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dress/latest/02582
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dress/latest/02391
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dress/latest/02793

None of those is a proper wedding dress but they might be close enough to work with.

Couldn't find a mounted princess type miniature by Reaper. There are a few nice female adventurers/fighters on horseback but I dunno if you want to theme your wedding that way :v:

!amicable posted:

click for more!

This is like if a WM jack stepped into the hair metal era of 40k. Which is to say it owns.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

Not sure what's a titty mini in your book. It might be hard to find one that doesn't look like a C+ cup but I found a few that don't seem to turn the exploitation up to 11.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dress/latest/02582
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dress/latest/02391
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dress/latest/02793

None of those is a proper wedding dress but they might be close enough to work with.

Couldn't find a mounted princess type miniature by Reaper. There are a few nice female adventurers/fighters on horseback but I dunno if you want to theme your wedding that way :v:

Nice suggestions, thanks. Yeah I meant not showing boobs or rear end or whatever. Not quite what I was looking for though. Dark Sword minis have some GoT ones that look pretty cool: http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/george-r-r-martin-masterworks.html?p=1

We're not going for a theme or anything, so any model of a woman in a dress would probably fit. The important thing is that it's not overly sexualised and that it doesn't look terrible.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
28mm minis are probably going to be too small for cake toppers. Unless you're going to have a tiny cake.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throbbing blob posted:

Speaking of Reaper, the lady is Cinderella from their Chronoscope line (no idea about the guy)

Also there's plenty of non-titty stuff from Hasslefree:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=miranda~hfh030&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-humans
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=rae~hfsf114&category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-non%252dcoms-%2F-civilians
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=gina~hfsf115&category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-non%252dcoms-%2F-civilians

Though if your fiance is not well endowed then maybe you shouldn't use the typical gamer female stereotype with DD cups.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Good suggestions, thanks. I'll show them to the lady in question and see which ones she likes most.

Bucnasti posted:

28mm minis are probably going to be too small for cake toppers. Unless you're going to have a tiny cake.

I'll call it a vignette instead

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is phenomenal

http://mumumuno53.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-68.html

I can't even wrap my head around how thats been made and painted to look like that.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That's a photograph!? :eyepop:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

This is phenomenal

I can't even wrap my head around how thats been made and painted to look like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHUSkyslMQ

And I thought the comic style Gundam was the pinnacle of 3d 2d art...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

This is phenomenal

As someone who used to do a lot of inking and drawing, and going by the wonky translation Chrome did of the article, I'd wager the person used a lot of penwork and those press-on screen tones for manga to get that look. I'm pretty sure he's based it on Kazutaka Miyatake's work, the guy who did mechanical designs for Macross, so it's safe to say he pulled up a lot of references and worked from there to get that 'drawn' look.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That is amazing!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

As someone who used to do a lot of inking and drawing, and going by the wonky translation Chrome did of the article, I'd wager the person used a lot of penwork and those press-on screen tones for manga to get that look. I'm pretty sure he's based it on Kazutaka Miyatake's work, the guy who did mechanical designs for Macross, so it's safe to say he pulled up a lot of references and worked from there to get that 'drawn' look.

There are a couple of shots of cut up screen tone sheets. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does from all angles. I always thought these gimmicky paint schemes were mono-angle only.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

!amicable posted:

click for more!
This thing is loving bonkers and I love it.

serious gaylord posted:

This is phenomenal

Jesus Christmas

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

!amicable posted:

click for more!

This is everything I want to be able to paint like

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

There are a couple of shots of cut up screen tone sheets. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does from all angles. I always thought these gimmicky paint schemes were mono-angle only.

For certain kinds of NMM it can look bad at any angle that isn't the one the artist painted it at (and you used to see a lot of those ~10 years ago or so), but I think the fact that it is intentionally 'manga'-esque in monochrome color and detail is what makes that robot kit work.

Good photography probably helps it, too.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is there anyone who does Chimera track armor? My old Chimeras don't have extras like that...

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is there anyone who does Chimera track armor? My old Chimeras don't have extras like that...

FW no longer produces the track guard kits (which were total rear end and warped all to hell every time), and I haven't found a suitable replacement either.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Reynold posted:

FW no longer produces the track guard kits (which were total rear end and warped all to hell every time), and I haven't found a suitable replacement either.

Oh, it was an FW thing? I thought they were on some extras sprue. I don't really need them, but I was going to be lazy and not put on all of the track sections.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
They were on the old IG accessory sprue, which you can still get from GW:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

They were on the old IG accessory sprue, which you can still get from GW:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

Ah ha! Thanks!

As a side note, for a planet covered in pollution and ash storms, an awful lot of my Steel Legion models are not wearing their goggles...

Has anyone used the Games and Gears silicone brush yet? I'm curious as to how well it works (or doesn't).

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 7, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ah ha! Thanks!

As a side note, for a planet covered in pollution and ash storms, an awful lot of my Steel Legion models are not wearing their goggles...

Has anyone used the Games and Gears silicone brush yet? I'm curious as to how well it works (or doesn't).

I cannot for the life of me get it to work like the dude in their promo video makes it work.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Slimnoid posted:

For certain kinds of NMM it can look bad at any angle that isn't the one the artist painted it at (and you used to see a lot of those ~10 years ago or so), but I think the fact that it is intentionally 'manga'-esque in monochrome color and detail is what makes that robot kit work.

Good photography probably helps it, too.

And even the degree to which NMM has a sweet spot is drastically overstated by people who like to say they just don't like NMM when they mean they actually don't want to learn how to do it.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

JoshTheStampede posted:

And even the degree to which NMM has a sweet spot is drastically overstated by people who like to say they just don't like NMM when they mean they actually don't want to learn how to do it.

On the other hand, NMM is likely popular for no other reason than people who can paint NMM likely just don't want to paint with metallic paints period. Does it look better or does it just look fine without destroying brushes and sometimes getting little flakes of the metallics showing up on the color sections of the model?

I strongly suspect NMM vs MM is 95% about things other than how the final result looks. (i.e. not destroying brushes, only needing one water pot/brush cleaner container/set of brushes, being a cool kid technique, etc.)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cyclomatic posted:

On the other hand, NMM is likely popular for no other reason than people who can paint NMM likely just don't want to paint with metallic paints period. Does it look better or does it just look fine without destroying brushes and sometimes getting little flakes of the metallics showing up on the color sections of the model?

I strongly suspect NMM vs MM is 95% about things other than how the final result looks. (i.e. not destroying brushes, only needing one water pot/brush cleaner container/set of brushes, being a cool kid technique, etc.)

You're probably right. The reason I prefer it recently is that I think metallics look bad most of the time on 28mm scale models - if I were painting a bust or a 72mm dude I would probably use metallics, but the sparkly effect is out of scale with most of what I paint and I think it looks chintzy. But making metallics look really good/realistic ("TMM" or whatever you want to call it) takes as much time and effort as NMM anyway, so I may as well not get flakes in my water and not be limited to what colors I have in metallic.

I also think that even if you don't prefer NMM, learning it is useful, as it teaches you a lot of things about light and color and painting textures, which all come in handy for lots of things. People get really worked up about it but it's just another texture. There's no cloth paint so people use normal paint and try to make stuff look like cloth. NMM is the same poo poo its just that there IS metallic paint so people think it's some whole different world of painting.

That said, there is no such thing as quick and easy tabletop-level NMM like there exists for metals, so metals will always have a place. You can base, wash, drybrush metals and they look perfectly good for tabletop, especially across a whole army.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Metallic paints are shithouse so NMM is something I'm going to look into.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Vallejo Liquid Gold is the poo poo, good sir

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Vallejo Liquid Gold is the poo poo, good sir

As is VMA steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JoshTheStampede posted:

This comment comes from a time where everyone and their uncle did that hideous S-E (sky-earth) NMM. God that was hideous.

For those not in the know, SENMM involved painting an artificial brown/blue horizon on all your metal parts to make it look like mirrored chrome. Nevermind that real chrome looks absolutely nothing like that anyway. It looked horrid and unnatural and because of that horizon line, only worked from one angle.