Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Foehammer posted:

Congrats Cool Corn on being mentioned on the Two Half Squads, don't let the fame go to your head.

Haha, yeah I just heard that last night actually. I like the part where Dave said, "he says here he'll be adding more soon, but this sent a... while ago."

Either way, it was cool to hear them mention my project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012
Just got my notice from GMT that Empire of the Sun has been charged and will be shipping soon.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

BrainBot posted:

Just got my notice from GMT that Empire of the Sun has been charged and will be shipping soon.

Yep, same. really excited to have no one to play it with!!!

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

BrainBot posted:

Same. Anyone know how long it usually takes from this point?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It usually means they have or are about to receive the physical shipment, and should begin shipping soon.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

taser rates posted:

Yep, same. really excited to have no one to play it with!!!

Lucky for you, the new version includes a solo AI!

I'm actually really intrigued to see how well it works.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gonna snap that up as soon as it hits the shops. Game is legit good.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
EotS P500 crew represent! :toot:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Holy poo poo Up Front has been re-released. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/148406/

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
"The original rulebook as a free PDF download." I'm sure that's exactly a selling point when it comes to Up Front...

What are people's opinions on it anyway? I played it a few years ago and was underwhelmed. It seemed clunky and like there wasn't a whole lot of depth to the game, since the best tactic seemed to be 'sneak 4 guys forward while everyone else pours fire on the enemy'. Anyone a fan and can enlighten me if I have a Bad Opinion?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

quote:

4. Two sheets of counters. Around 300 counters. We are not able to offer true punch-out chits, so these come on doulbe-sided cardstock and will need to be cut apart. The counters are also offered as a digital download version for DIY print-and-play. Both the printed counter sheets and the digital download versions are included in this bundle.

quote:

We are unable to provide a reproduction of the original game box, but all of the components store nicely in our stacking, plastic deckboxes. If you are buying complete game, then we recommend 3 large deckboxes and 1 standard deckbox to hold all of the cards and have room to spare for the cut-up counters.

So... for about $46, you get three decks of cards, and have to create the rest of the game yourself. I see.

edit-- and for that price you don't even get the 3 plastic card holders? You have to buy them for $1 a piece? Good grief.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 1, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

So... for about $46, you get three decks of cards, and have to create the rest of the game yourself. I see.

But this way you get to cut the counters up AND clip them! Imagine the fun!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And there are legal issues already!! :allears: :f5:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19106936#19106936

Rodger MacGowan posted:

Who is in charge of the "Wargame Vault"? They are displaying my artwork and my logo graphic design for the "Up Front" game which are both under my copyright 1983, 2015 without my permission? Can anyone assist me in contacting these people? Thank you, RBM

Rodger MacGowan posted:

FYI -- I have written, signed contracts with Avalon Hill for all my artwork used by AH, signed by Don Greenwood or Tom Shaw. AH only purchased the "First Time NA Rights" to my artwork, I hold all other rights to my artwork, all rights reserved. Hasbro has never contacted me regarding the use of any of my Avalon Hill artwork. They do not have any rights to my artwork. I am only asking if there is anyone here who knows "who" to contact? Is there a name behind this "Vault" company -- who are they, who is in charge, how can they be contacted in this regard?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

"The original rulebook as a free PDF download." I'm sure that's exactly a selling point when it comes to Up Front...

What are people's opinions on it anyway? I played it a few years ago and was underwhelmed. It seemed clunky and like there wasn't a whole lot of depth to the game, since the best tactic seemed to be 'sneak 4 guys forward while everyone else pours fire on the enemy'. Anyone a fan and can enlighten me if I have a Bad Opinion?

When the cards are being kind to both players and the game is clicking along it's really fun and finishes quickly. Unfortunately it can turn into an hour+ long discard fest when you hit a snag.

Strategy-wise it's a bit more complex than that since you have poo poo for FP at RR0 so you should use bounding fire to move all your dudes up. You also score vp based on the range chit value of your whole squad so you need to move up everyone at least a bit.

Basically it needs an update.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
One of these days I'm gonna go to my FLGS and not be able to resist Europe Engulfed and Sword of Rome. They have a nice little wall of GMT including Navajo Wars, Urban Sprawl, Wellington, Carthage: The First Punic War, Onward Christian Soldiers, The Napoleonic Wars, and Nightfighter among others.

They had a 30% off sale recently too but I ended up buying a bunch of euros like a little bitch :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
EDIT: Wrong thread, nvm.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 4, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

T-Bone posted:

Onward Christian Soldiers

Having snatched it from a non-wargaming friend who grabbed it on the basis of theme expecting something closer to a medieval Twilight Struggle, I don't think it's very good. It's not too bad either, just quite oldschool and chromey, so it requires a bit of tolerance for XX-century design bullshit. It does have one absolutely fascinating mechanic, though: the attrition roll.

Basically, the armies have unlimited movement allowance, but the farther you go the more hosed up you get by the attrition. Leader's maneuver ratings allow them a chance to move again after stopping (so you can try to chain-leapfrog a few attrition-safe moves at the risk of stopping mid-way from your desired objective). It's perhaps a bit reliant on dice fuckery (as is the whole game), but the idea itself remains clever and fascinating to me.

Kingdom of Heaven seems like a much more fun to play gam, though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

T-Bone posted:

One of these days I'm gonna go to my FLGS and not be able to resist Europe Engulfed and Sword of Rome. They have a nice little wall of GMT including Navajo Wars, Urban Sprawl, Wellington, Carthage: The First Punic War, Onward Christian Soldiers, The Napoleonic Wars, and Nightfighter among others.

They had a 30% off sale recently too but I ended up buying a bunch of euros like a little bitch :(

Sword of Rome is pretty great if you have more than 2 players for it who are willing to put up with a relatively heavy game. I'm not a fan of Europe Engulfed though. I like the block system for games like Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex, but I find it doesn't really work for EE. The problem is that you need to blob together to make attacks which ruins the fog of war provided by the blocks. I think Unconditional Surrender: Europe has surpassed it, really.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So I'm about to get paid and was thinking about buying a wargame. I own Fire in the Lake, so I don't really feel the need for more COIN. I liked No Retreat and Twilight Struggle. I also wanted to get Red Winter, but it's out of stock and that doesn't look like changing any time soon. Any suggestions? Games good for more than two players would be especially good.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It turns out I'm actually getting a proper gaming table (i.e. the kind where you can hide a game under a "proper" desktop so it can lay there forever) in a few months, so bite the bullet and buy Unconditional Surrender. Or, keep an eye out on the Empire of the Sun reprint since you're one of those weirdos with a craving for the Pacific theater.

Alternatively, buy a loving binder for Netrunner cards.

[edit] It's not like you'll ever have a chance to play tankgames with real people.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 4, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

So I'm about to get paid and was thinking about buying a wargame. I own Fire in the Lake, so I don't really feel the need for more COIN. I liked No Retreat and Twilight Struggle. I also wanted to get Red Winter, but it's out of stock and that doesn't look like changing any time soon. Any suggestions? Games good for more than two players would be especially good.

The OP's recommendations are still quite good. I would recommend Successors, but it's difficult to find. Other then that, it depends on how many players you want to accommodate. Maria and Sword of Rome are good medium weight games for three or four players, respectively. If you're looking at six players, you'll want Here I Stand/Sword of Rome. I'm also fond of A Brief History of the World as a light multiplayer game, but again, it's difficult to find.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Lichtenstein posted:

It turns out I'm actually getting a proper gaming table (i.e. the kind where you can hide a game under a "proper" desktop so it can lay there forever) in a few months, so bite the bullet and buy Unconditional Surrender. Or, keep an eye out on the Empire of the Sun reprint since you're one of those weirdos with a craving for the Pacific theater.

Alternatively, buy a loving binder for Netrunner cards.

[edit] It's not like you'll ever have a chance to play tankgames with real people.

What table? I've been meaning to just make my own.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My buddy made his own wargaming table, but it's made specifically for ASL. It's actually pretty rad -

The map itself goes underneath a pane of glass, there's a built-in dice tower, everything's lined with felt, and the square areas on the sides are sized to hold 4 Raaco box sections, so you can put your various infantry steps over there. I was really impressed and want to build my own now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

sonatinas posted:

What table? I've been meaning to just make my own.

It's probably not going to be of much use to you, since I found out a local (Polish) manufacturer that began operation literally last month. The table is very basic and looks literally like an Ikea piece of crap, but for the size I need (100x160 cm) I can get it done out of actual wood (rather than lovely plywood) for an equivalent of $885, which I should be able afford in a few months. I like the fact that its desktop is split in two halves with a little connecting piece in the middle, so you can easily leave half of it to let an other person do their thing while you're playing on the other side. Or keep snacks there or whatever. I don't really need or want any drawers and gimmicks for it other than attachable beer holders I can buy for literally $1.40 a piece in a car shop.

Since I expect to move into an own flat with my girlfriend in a year and half and will be stocking up on Ikea crap anyway, I said gently caress it, at least I can splurge on a bitchin' table. With little to no room for multiple tables, having an option to keep a game in progress indefinitely will be a godsend.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Tevery Best posted:

I've been really enjoying Combat Commander recently, which is a 2p tactical game with hand management. Churchill looks really interesting as well, that's a 3-p politics wargame.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Lichtenstein posted:

It's probably not going to be of much use to you, since I found out a local (Polish) manufacturer that began operation literally last month. The table is very basic and looks literally like an Ikea piece of crap, but for the size I need (100x160 cm) I can get it done out of actual wood (rather than lovely plywood) for an equivalent of $885, which I should be able afford in a few months. I like the fact that its desktop is split in two halves with a little connecting piece in the middle, so you can easily leave half of it to let an other person do their thing while you're playing on the other side. Or keep snacks there or whatever. I don't really need or want any drawers and gimmicks for it other than attachable beer holders I can buy for literally $1.40 a piece in a car shop.

Since I expect to move into an own flat with my girlfriend in a year and half and will be stocking up on Ikea crap anyway, I said gently caress it, at least I can splurge on a bitchin' table. With little to no room for multiple tables, having an option to keep a game in progress indefinitely will be a godsend.

Hmm, this picture is a good reference. I live near one of the old major centers of furniture makers in USA so I might be able to commission something.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

sonatinas posted:

Hmm, this picture is a good reference. I live near one of the old major centers of furniture makers in USA so I might be able to commission something.

A neat construction detail that's not visible very well in the album if you don't know what you're looking for: the inner edges of the two desktop halves are sloped, and the small piece in middle is trapezoid-shaped. This is because in one of the corners, there's a pin with a wooden dice at the end you can push up for one of the desktop halves to pop up for easy dismantling. It's afaik literally just a pin and a hole and something to hold it from falling down on the floor, but it seems like a handy addition.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Welp, decided to throw money at the WarGameVault version of Up Front. It's cheap enough to be an impulse buy, and so many people swear by the game.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2016

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They did not.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Did they update/revise/streamline the rules? Because if not, god be with you.

The kickstarter version released their version of the rules on BGG, so I can just use that. It uses a programmed sort of instruction, so that could work.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I think they changed some numbers around with the RR system so keep that in mind if using the KS rulebook. Other than that I think they just reduced the amount of cards you draw for close combat to reduce intentional deck cycling near the end of the game. It's not like it's streamlined or anything. The rulebook isn't as bad as people say it is, though. It's not great but it's workable.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2016

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Isn't it legendary for being an absolute trainwreck to figure out how to play using only the rules?

Granted, I'm a big dummy, but I gave up in frustration and had to have someone walk me through play.

I tried teaching myself with the fan rewrite and wound up just going with the original. I might just be some sort of savant because I found the Mage Knight beginner guide pointlessly hand-holdy.

I do suggest the annotated version on bgg though since it incorporates all the errata and FAQ.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 6, 2015

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I got 3 others together to play FiTL at work this week. We've got it set up on the screwing-around floor of the building and are slowly playing through a short game at lunch breaks. It's everyone's first COIN, and I've played it only once before - 2 player. Nobody has any idea what they are doing or how to translate our various actions into victory. It's great and everyone likes it. I can definitely see everybody wanting to play again, a full game this time. :getin:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SavageMessiah posted:

Nobody has any idea what they are doing or how to translate our various actions into victory.

~realism~

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

SavageMessiah posted:

Nobody has any idea what they are doing or how to translate our various actions into victory.

I'm still hoping that someday someone will find two people who know nothing about World War II and have them play a WWII wargame while only telling them half the rules. It would be the most realistic session ever played and probably pretty amazing to watch.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Na most realistic would be telling them they are playing a Napoleonic war game but sitting them down for WW1

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rumda posted:

Na most realistic would be telling them they are playing a Napoleonic war game but sitting them down for WW1

Quite so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

cenotaph posted:

I tried teaching myself with the fan rewrite and wound up just going with the original. I might just be some sort of savant because I found the Mage Knight beginner guide pointlessly hand-holdy.

I do suggest the annotated version on bgg though since it incorporates all the errata and FAQ.

This guy has a great series of videos teaching the basics of UF. If anything, it's great to show just how the game flows before you actually read through the rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCWt-FKtRPHygrm-WMDfFvpQ

I've been working through those videos and the rule book, and I can see why Up Front is such an impressive game now! I'm really excited to get my copy, and have been dicking around in VASSAL some.