Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

The first half of Xenoblade is pretty decent. You've got some cool areas to explore, the combat system hasn't worn out it's welcome yet and there are some good character moments. After Prison Island the game really takes a nose dive. Mechonis is pretty much just a straight line filled with Mechon every 5 feet, the level curve gets super hosed up with every major boss being 6-8 levels above the trash fights in the area and half of the cast basically disappears from the plot.

Yeah this sums up my feelings exactly.

also: xenoblade ending spoilers: The fact that the big twist was that a retarded scientist man hit a button and blew up the universe was stupid enough on its own but what the gently caress happened to the like 5 other scientists in the room with him when it happened, why did only the chick and him become gods????? It's such a minor thing but it bugged me because it doesn't seem to make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
"The game isn't a chore to play" is faint praise imho

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That's like step 1 after 'boots, doesn't melt system.'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah this sums up my feelings exactly.

also: xenoblade ending spoilers: The fact that the big twist was that a retarded scientist man hit a button and blew up the universe was stupid enough on its own but what the gently caress happened to the like 5 other scientists in the room with him when it happened, why did only the chick and him become gods????? It's such a minor thing but it bugged me because it doesn't seem to make any sense.

Zanza whole thing is functionally being an actual God, but with the pathetic motivations of a low-tier human. Setting it up as an experiment gone wrong feels a little crude in how lately its introduced, but it lines up with his character's motivation perfectly: he's a prick who got his powers through sheer accident of (re)birth and doesn't deserve them. Meyeneth got powers too to contrast as someone who realises their authority is bullshit and is happy to let her progeny go off and do their own thing, no one else got any powers because they'd be completely unnecessary to the plot.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Some of Xenoblade's public opinion victories are probably because of non-competition. It had been 7 years since Dragon Quest VIII (2007), which was the last unanimously acclaimed console JRPG, 11 years since Final Fantasy X (2001), and 8 years since SMT: Nocturne for the Atlus fans who are counting. When the competition consists of games like Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Hyperdimension Neptunia games like Xenoblade and Bravely Default are going to get guaranteed slots on most "top 3 JRPGs of 2010+" lists just by not being embarrassing trainwrecks.

I know someone is going to bring up Persona 4 as the "big" JRPG contemporary, but they were four years apart in America and Persona 4 is more of a dating sim with a JRPG minigame than a straight JRPG.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Counterpoint; I had more fun with Neptunia games (pick one) than Xenoblade ever.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Xenoblade could have heavily benefited from a dating sim aspect

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Million Ghosts posted:

Counterpoint; I had more fun with Neptunia games (pick one) than Xenoblade ever.

You should check into a mental hospital.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Atelier Meruru was the greatest RPG of its generation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

list of recent jrpgs better than xenoblade:

every tales game
probably a couple of neptunia games
most atelier games

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Counterpoint: all those games are not very good and Xenoblade was fun.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Xenoblade wasn't even the best recent british dubbed wii jrpg

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Give me a new 3ds version of last story and i'll finally play it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

every tales game
most atelier games

X-2 is pretty great too. Charlie's Angels: JRPG Edition.

ETA: I'm counting it as recent, because of the HD version, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Counterpoint: all those games are not very good and Xenoblade was fun.
counterpoint: you are fail

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Radiant Historia
Lost Odyssey
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The World Ends With You
Persona 4 Golden
Valkyria Chronicles

Dark Souls is considered an RPG, I could've easily gone deeper

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also the all the forums buttons disappeared and i was forced to diss xenoblade from my phone. does this forums problem happen to anyone else?

fix the forums lowtax!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Radiant Historia
Lost Odyssey
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The World Ends With You
Persona 4 Golden
Valkyria Chronicles

Dark Souls is considered an RPG, I could've easily gone deeper
i dont think people would consider valkyria a jrpg in the traditional sense. it's more srpg.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

meh most srpgs and jrpgs are basically the same general family of game, i don't think it's too unreasonable to list them together

no one's going to flip out if you recommend Awakening to someone looking for a 3ds jrpg

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

kirbysuperstar posted:

You should check into a mental hospital.

Posting in my straightjacket right now waiting for the tranquilizers to start.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

meh most srpgs and jrpgs are basically the same general family of game, i don't think it's too unreasonable to list them together
yeah but if you're listing valkyria chronicles you have to list fire emblem and disgaea

i cant handle the hosed up possibility that someone thinks xenoblade is better than fire emblem

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah but if you're listing valkyria chronicles you have to list fire emblem and disgaea

i cant handle the hosed up possibility that someone thinks xenoblade is better than fire emblem

In two years, Awakening has gotten more vocal on hating it than liking it here, was hesitant on mentioning it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Instead of making lists of our favorite 2010+ JRPG's from 10+ years ago, let's talk about our favorite Compile Heart games.

I'll get us rolling. That one with the game consoles as played by little girls sure was a game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

In two years, Awakening has gotten more vocal on hating it than liking it here, was hesitant on mentioning it.
i bash awakening a lot but it's a good game

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

bloodychill posted:

Instead of making lists of our favorite 2010+ JRPG's from 10+ years ago, let's talk about our favorite Compile Heart games.

I'll get us rolling. That one with the game consoles as played by little girls sure was a game.

Do you mean Hyperdimension Neptuina, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1, Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2, or Hyperdevotion Noire?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

lot of perverts and weirdos in this sick world of ours

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

i bash awakening a lot but it's a good game

It was eh. Fire Emblem is generally pretty average and marred with terrible game design decisions.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i can't handle this

when will people learn to have my opinions, the correct ones?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

It was eh. Fire Emblem is generally pretty average and marred with terrible game design decisions.
first you don't like neptunia, then you don't like tales, and now this? what kind of hosed up monster are you?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

I liked Awakening because it let me play casual mode. That's always burned me out on Fire Emblem games in just a few missions 'cause I hate permanently losing my soldiers, but it was really nice to not have to concern myself with it. Best of both worlds for the right kinda player.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I liked Awakening because it let me play casual mode. That's always burned me out on Fire Emblem games in just a few missions 'cause I hate permanently losing my soldiers, but it was really nice to not have to concern myself with it. Best of both worlds for the right kinda player.
you could try Getting Good

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

bloodychill posted:

At least one of the Agarest games is reasonably average. Unfortunately the one with the best gameplay also features massaging a little girl by jerking off the Playstation Move, so I'm not sure any of them can be called good. :yikes:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You can't call yourself a true gamer until you suffer through Cross Edge.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

first you don't like neptunia, then you don't like tales, and now this? what kind of hosed up monster are you?

The kind of monster that sighed and got increasingly bored every time he'd lose a character and have to reset the because Fire Emblem doesn't always have soft reset/restart battle options (has it ever?)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

every tales game
most atelier games

lighting returns final fantasy

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nakar posted:

At least one of the Agarest games is reasonably average. Unfortunately the one with the best gameplay also features massaging a little girl by jerking off the Playstation Move, so I'm not sure any of them can be called good. :yikes:

Everything about Agarest looked on the surface like a game I might enjoy and then I saw that versions of it were coming with body pillows and I realized maybe it wasn't the game I thought it was.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

You can't call yourself a true gamer until you suffer through Cross Edge.

Project Cross Zone

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Everything about Agarest looked on the surface like a game I might enjoy and then I saw that versions of it were coming with body pillows and I realized maybe it wasn't the game I thought it was.
I hear the gameplay is incredibly grindy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

its got a lot of bad grinding for rare drops, also it's a visual novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

agarest sucks

visual novels are cool though