Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

markgreyam posted:

Could you be really lazy and just headline it

TRUCK STOP
haha, yeah I could but I don't think that will get anybody to click on it

on the other hand I'm not being paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

It's a Kids Crossing but Trucks bossing.
Made me laugh out loud.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cartoon posted:

This is a bullshit argument if we are talking about large (Semi/B Double) trucks. I get most of my stuff from Melbourne and it comes all the way by road and is transhipped up to four times before I get it delivered, usually in a light van. If our rail freight network worked properly I would still get it delivered by a light van that had come ~ 1 km from the railway siding. Supermarkets might need different methods but it isn't the issue it is commonly held to be and it certainly isn't a case of transhipping is why we use trucks which is constantly the argument made.

I'm not sure how you could manage to keep a supermarket supplied entirely by light vans dude. Yeah, it works for your particular needs but you're not exactly running a metro Coles/Woolworths.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's mostly coal and oil tankers that run through a residential street 24 hours a day.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
So why isn't Netflix paying GST?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pred1ct posted:

So why isn't Netflix paying GST?
Netflix doesn't pay GST because it's an overseas good I guess

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bowmore posted:

Made me laugh out loud.

Use it

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

Sorry, forgot to mention it's about trying to get the trucks banned from the road because of the danger to kids
I'm not aware of how this is an issue. Can you please try to explain it, because I am drawing a blank here.

The Vinnies I work at is next door to a school, and there's another school down the road. Plus we have a small shopping centre down the road. In all that time, cars have posed the most danger to pedestrians in the area because they seem to think that if they accelerate they can squeeze through a pedestrian crossing before we get half way across. I had to jump back out of the way one time when I was more than half way across because some fuckwit floored it, and he still nearly took me out with his mirror a couple years back.

If we couldn't use our trucks there though, it would just be completely unworkable to run the shop. We generate so much excess that needs to be sent off that even when it is slow we need a truck every two-three days. Don't even get me started on the loving furniture. Vans are not a practical solution to this. They may work for smaller shops, but they just flat out aren't going to work for anywhere that has to move a decent volume.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm not aware of how this is an issue. Can you please try to explain it, because I am drawing a blank here.

The Vinnies I work at is next door to a school, and there's another school down the road. Plus we have a small shopping centre down the road. In all that time, cars have posed the most danger to pedestrians in the area because they seem to think that if they accelerate they can squeeze through a pedestrian crossing before we get half way across. I had to jump back out of the way one time when I was more than half way across because some fuckwit floored it, and he still nearly took me out with his mirror a couple years back.

If we couldn't use our trucks there though, it would just be completely unworkable to run the shop. We generate so much excess that needs to be sent off that even when it is slow we need a truck every two-three days. Don't even get me started on the loving furniture. Vans are not a practical solution to this. They may work for smaller shops, but they just flat out aren't going to work for anywhere that has to move a decent volume.

Sounds like what is (trying) to happen to a lot of inner West roads in Melbourne around the Docks, where you have trucks going back and forth from the Docks, as well as people living on or near the roads where the trucks use to access the Docks.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

bowmore posted:

Netflix doesn't pay GST because it's an overseas good I guess

The bill you from overseas, using a foreign entity, possibly using a foreign credit card processor. (you may actually be paying GST on the credit card fees, not sure)
They don't have a local entity, and probably run all the marketing using local firms that bill the overseas entity.
And I'm sure the distribution contracts are between 2 overseas entities in tax havens that just transfer rights to "broadcast" into australia..

At no point does money get sent by you to a company with an ABN or australian assets that can be touched by the ATO.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Primary School a pit-stop for Truckers.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pickled Tink posted:

I would explain it but I'm not the one with the issue, I couldn't give half a poo poo.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

norp posted:

The bill you from overseas, using a foreign entity, possibly using a foreign credit card processor. (you may actually be paying GST on the credit card fees, not sure)
They don't have a local entity, and probably run all the marketing using local firms that bill the overseas entity.
And I'm sure the distribution contracts are between 2 overseas entities in tax havens that just transfer rights to "broadcast" into australia..

At no point does money get sent by you to a company with an ABN or australian assets that can be touched by the ATO.

Doesn't really work that way, for instance, Valve and Origin are subject to ACL despite not having an ABN or having assets in Australia. The ACL has provisions for transactions of goods or services where one party (in this case the consumer) is in Australia. I'm not exactly fluent in tax legislation but it's probable that such a provision could be easily legislated into the relevant acts to apply in the case of Netflix.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 7, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
The Australian Sex Party got deregistered too. :mmmhmm:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/sex-party-deregistered-due-to-lack-of-members-20150507-ggvyrz.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Graic Gabtar posted:

Just as a side, I'm watching the first episode of "Struggle Street".

gently caress me.

Don't know what the fuss was all about to be honest. I think it just shows a bunch of people that fell through the cracks of society. Yes, they're fat, mentally ill and on drugs, but that's what happens to folk when they are put under unimaginable stress day in day out. Hopefully the show raises a bit of awareness in the rest of society of people like that who they'd rather pretend didn't exist.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
The only thing that bothered me about it was the narration, which managed to patronise both the viewers and the subjects

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Don't know what the fuss was all about to be honest. I think it just shows a bunch of people that fell through the cracks of society. Yes, they're fat, mentally ill and on drugs, but that's what happens to folk when they are put under unimaginable stress day in day out. Hopefully the show raises a bit of awareness in the rest of society of people like that who they'd rather pretend didn't exist.

That seems the more likely response rather than widespread victim blaming and saying they obviously deserve to be in poverty because of all their vices and we shouldn't be funding their degenerate lifestyles with our tax dollars.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gay picnic defence posted:

It's pretty funny/anger inducing when you get wankers from Bondi tweeting "yeah they are on stuggle street but they can still afford V and ciggies and ice, they must be lazy"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

That seems the more likely response rather than widespread victim blaming and saying they obviously deserve to be in poverty because of all their vices and we shouldn't be funding their degenerate lifestyles with our tax dollars.

Yeah, I mean everyone they spoke to just wanted to work. They were all clearly victims of circumstance (or other people being fuckwits to them) who are just after a bit of stability and security in their lives. I was expecting something like Housos based on the reactions prior to the broadcast but I think it really was just an honest telling of some pretty sad stories.

Mr Chips posted:

The only thing that bothered me about it was the narration, which managed to patronise both the viewers and the subjects

I'll admit that wasn't great.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It would have been better if they went without the narration and let the subjects tell the story, they didn't do a bad job of it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...507-ggvwqm.html

quote:

Former Greens leader Christine Milne had been considering her future for six months before deciding to quit, and held discussions about her exit with Greens Party founder Bob Brown.

Fairfax Media understands new leader Richard Di Natale, former deputy Adam Bandt, and immigration spokeswoman Sarah Hanson-Young led the push for a leadership change in the party.

Former Greens Leader Senator Christine Milne with new Greens Leader Senator Richard Di Natale leader during a press conference on Wednesday.
Former Greens Leader Senator Christine Milne with new Greens Leader Senator Richard Di Natale leader during a press conference on Wednesday. Photo: Andrew Meares
Mr Bandt and Senator Milne had had a strained relationship for some time, while Senator Hanson-Young had challenged Senator Milne for the deputy leader's role as far back as 2010.

Some Greens, angry at how just one-hour's notice was given for the leadership vote, believe that if Mr Bandt had faced Senator Di Natale in a ballot, the result could have been as close as 6-5 or 7-4 in the 11-member partyroom.

While Senator Milne's decision to resign surprised many, she had discussed her future with family, friends, former staff and other members of the party in the lead-up to the announcement.

The new leadership team: Greens Leader Senator Richard Di Natale with his co-deputies Senator Larissa Waters and Senator Scott Ludlam.
The new leadership team: Greens Leader Senator Richard Di Natale with his co-deputies Senator Larissa Waters and Senator Scott Ludlam. Photo: Andrew Meares
The message was clear in many of those conversations. Senator Milne was told she needed to decide sooner, rather than later, about whether she would stand at the next election.

A push for generational change was gathering pace.

At 10am on Wednesday, when the 11 Greens MPs met, some in the partyroom expected the meeting to focus on pre-budget tactics and strategy.

Instead, Senator Milne announced her plan to go and spoke for about 30 minutes about her legacy and the party's future.

At around 10.30am she announced a snap vote for 11.30am, a rapid resolution that has angered some colleagues and party members.

Some members insist that Senator Di Natale, and Senators Larissa Waters and Scott Ludlam - who were elected co-deputy leaders, were tipped off ahead of time by Senator Milne to spoil Mr Bandt's chances.

Senator Milne and Senator Di Natale have repeatedly refused to say whether or not that is true, however the new leader did confirm that the change of leadership had been on his radar for some time.

"I was talking to Lucy [his wife] about this six months ago because, you know, I might not be from a political background but I'm smart enough to know when something could happen," he told reporters on Wednesday.

Mr Bandt was the only other Greens MP to make calls seeking support from colleagues for the leadership.

But Senator Di Natale began the contest with a solid bloc of five votes in the 11-member partyroom - senators Milne, Ludlam, Waters and Rachel Siewert - and the writing was on the wall.

Some members of the party say Senator Di Natale also knew he could rely on the support of either or both South Australian senators, Penny Wright and Sarah Hanson-Young, enough to get him the six votes to get him over the line.

And so Mr Bandt, who was likely able to rely on the support of NSW senator Lee Rhiannon and possibly senators Peter Whish-Wilson and Janet Rice, decided not to force a contest.

Senator Di Natale was elected unopposed, as were senators Waters and Ludlam.

Afterwards, Mr Bandt congratulated the new leadership team, signalled plans to lead the charge to win more lower house federal seats and said he wanted to focus on the birth of his first child, due in a few weeks.

But as one Greens MP told Fairfax Media, "the [leadership] conversations didn't get far. It was clear that Adam didn't have support and that was explained to him. It was brutal for him but he has been gracious."

The rapid vote and switch to Senator Di Natale has angered some Greens MPs; "even those of us who would have voted for him", says another Greens MP.

Party members say it will lead to a renewed push at next week's Greens National Council meeting for the party to move to a model that would see party members directly elect the leader, rather than MPs.

As one put it to Fairfax Media: "we are behind Labor on this issue."

Senator Di Natale confirmed on Wednesday that a reshuffle of portfolios will now take place in the partyroom.

The new leader is said to be open to a change of structure that would see the party appoint a treasury spokesperson for the first time.

Until now, the party leader had held the economic portfolio but the change would be a tactical move designed to position the Greens more prominently in debates about the economy.

After the ballot and change of leader, Greens MPs, staff and family gathered at Canberra's Hotel Realm to drink, talk, commiserate and celebrate.

From now, the Greens will rise or fall on the shoulders of senators Di Natale, Waters and Ludlam.

quote:

After the ballot and change of leader, Greens MPs, staff and family gathered at Canberra's Hotel Realm to drink, talk, commiserate and celebrate
Truly an acrimonious change of leaders...

This seems like exactly the way every party would love their leadership succession to take place but the media are adamant there was more to it than meets the eye. Is there anything more meaningless than quotes from unnamed Greens (or any political party for that matter) members? For all we know someone at The Age just joined so they could run stories like that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Can't actually find anything out, let's just make up some unsourced quotes and "the vibe"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Fairfax is really trying for the 'internal strife' angle here

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

First they came for the democrats, and I said nothing for I was not a idiot child crypto-Tory
Then they came for the sex party, and I said nothing for I was not a brothel owner

yet the pirate party will stay because it hacked up an online system to ensure everyone's details are up to date :newlol:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

Fairfax is really trying for the 'internal strife' angle here

Would you say it's a long bow?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Weird, the SMH posted an article yesterday basically congratulating them on how smoothly the leadership change went.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Weird, the SMH posted an article yesterday basically congratulating them on how smoothly the leadership change went.

Maybe they think that LEADERSHIP STRIFE!!1! will play better in Melbourne.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
What I like is that, after discounting Milne and the three who got in leadership, there are 7 Greens MPs left. And two are sourced in that article. Pretty sure nobody is stupid enough to say stuff like that to the press when you could play guess who and probably pick them out at random.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

SBS has been forced to fast-track its controversial documentary Struggle Street, combining the second and third episodes into a two-hour special to air next week.

"To best understand [Struggle Street], you need to see the three-hour observational documentary as a whole as it unfolds over the six months and we decided to make it available sooner in order to do that," the broadcaster said in a statement.

Also the mayor of Blacktown has backtracked speedily after he was threatened with legal action adter accusing the program of ysing criminality to force people to take part and that scenes were staged.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The mayor of blacktown generated some drat good publicity for SBS, he was probably worried about them exposing the issues in his area.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If your kid isnt smart enough to figure out trucks are dangerous Im sorry but your kid should be loving killed by a truck. And if you arent smart enough to tell your kids to pay great care to crossing the street then you shouldnt have kids.

Jesus Christ.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Laserface posted:

Im sorry but your kid should be loving killed by a truck.

Classic Auspol compassion and understanding.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
have you tried severing from your idiot child

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Laserface posted:

Jesus Christ.

Offensive to religious people but otherwise use the rest.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

boltdroppingaturd.jpg

Today's Advertiser has a column from Bolt as well as a column from Morrison. I wouldn't piss on that paper if it was on fire.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

markgreyam posted:

Offensive to religious people but otherwise use the rest.

Thats their choice though. you can insult someone for choices.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tell me more about these low blows :bigtran:

e. weird, that smiley is labelled 'bigtran', I always thought it was just somebody in makeup making a kissy face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Could this just be an example of what he is saying is being said about Abbott, and not his actual position

Nope sorry, he doesn't deserve that much credit.

• Locked thread