Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My capstone project for my undergrad had someone who didn't do poo poo on a team of ten (too much for the project anyway) people. Our mentor straight up failed him though, so I got really lucky there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Grades are due tomorrow and two of my professors haven't input the final exam grades yet. In one of those classes I have a 66% because the final exam was a short-answer online test, and was automatically graded by Canvas as a zero (since short answers have to be graded by the professor), and I'm starting to get concerned because that professor has uploaded grades exactly twice the entire semester.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
*Takes Advanced Prose*

*Winds up reading XOJane for a month*

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hummingbirds posted:

Grades are due tomorrow and two of my professors haven't input the final exam grades yet. In one of those classes I have a 66% because the final exam was a short-answer online test, and was automatically graded by Canvas as a zero (since short answers have to be graded by the professor), and I'm starting to get concerned because that professor has uploaded grades exactly twice the entire semester.

I took a Western Music course one year where the instructor did this. I only did like half of the weekly homework assignments and spent the whole semester thinking I wasn't going to make higher than a C+. Then a week after the final, I sat down with the professor in her office, we looked over my grades, and it turned out I had made an A.

I think I would've been a little more :smug: and a lot less :bang: about this had I not wasted a bunch of time going to dumb little fine arts concerts for that class for extra credit that it turned out I didn't even need, as opposed to spending that time doing work for other classes like I should've been doing.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
When I was a grad student we each had 9 months' stipend, and if we wanted to go to a conference or do summer research we could apply for funds from the university. I applied for funds from the university three times and every one was a disaster.

1. The first was summer research in Europe--very expensive, and I didn't have the money to conduct it without that, or even to pay for it up front and get reimbursed later, but of course it was a requirement for my degree program that I spend my first summer on research. I sent in the application in March and was told I'd have an answer by April 15th. The plan was that if I got it, I'd buy tickets as soon as the money disbursed, then head out for the summer around the end of the first week of May. April 15th came and went, so I emailed them asking what the deal was. No reply. I called two days later, and was put on hold for an hour and no one ever picked up. I emailed again, no reply. Emailed a third time, nothing. Called again, nothing. Went to the office, no one was there. Now it's May, about the time I was planning to leave, and I'm going nuts. Then one morning I get a text from my roommate. He rode by the office on his morning ride, decided on a whim to go in and ask for me, and they gave him my acceptance packet, complete with financial info and SSN, just because he rolled up and said he was my roommate. Granted, I'm glad he did, but still! I wound up having to scramble to get poo poo done so I could go, but at least I made it.

2. The second was a conference--the way it worked was that money for research was up front, but money for conferences was reimbursement only. I could swing that, more or less--$500 is a big financial blow when you make $1500 a month, but it'd be fine for the two weeks it usually took the money to roll in. So I went to the conference, handed in my app, and waited. And waited. And waited. After three weeks, I called, and they acted shocked and said they had no record of my application, even though the requirement then was to physically bring it to the office and have them sign a form saying you'd dropped it off. I presented this form, and was told that too bad, they'd lost the physical copy so I'd have to submit another one in the following application cycle. It wound up being over six weeks until I got my money, and it was pretty tough to handle that loss financially for so long.

3. The third was the worst. I applied for research funding to cover a research trip to Mexico. I could pay for the plane ticket there out of pocket, but nothing else--not my room, not food, nothing. I applied and actually received an acceptance at the correct time, with a disbursement date where the money would land in my account. So I booked a flight for that same day, and landed in Mexico fully expecting to see a fat bank account. I checked my account at the airport and it had 45 cents in it. Okay. Not going to panic. I had some pesos on me from an earlier trip, so I made it to my new room just fine, and emailed the person who had given me the disbursement date. I got an autoreply saying she was on vacation, so I emailed the financial aid person from my own department who was supposed to handle this sort of issue if it came up. Another vacation autoreply. So I emailed my grad studies director. ANOTHER AUTOREPLY. I had to go and explain to the owner of the apartment that I was supposed to have money, but didn't, and I was so so sorry and I'd make some phone calls and get the money ASAP. The only thing that saved my rear end is that she was a friend of a friend and not just some rando from Craigslist, so she didn't tell me to GTFO even though she'd have been totally within her rights to do so. So I called the department from a pay phone, and was told that oh no, someone must have forgotten to enter your disbursement info into the online system! I'm a pretty understanding person and I get that mistakes happen, and I asked them to please disburse it right away so it'd be in my account by the morning. Nope. Apparently at this school, you can only direct deposit money on the 1st and the 15th of each month. It's IMPOSSIBLE to direct deposit at any other time, and today was now the 16th. They told me I could either wait til then, or I could pick up a check in person tomorrow--even though I'd already told them I was in loving Mexico. I think I talked to every single person in the office, and they all refused to do anything more than allow someone else to pick up the check in my name and deposit it for me remotely. So I sighed, told them my partner would be coming, gave them his name, and then called him and asked him to please drive an hour to the university and pick up the check the next afternoon. So he goes out there, and they tell him that he doesn't have permission to pick up the check, that only I can. So I call AGAIN, raise more hell, and he makes the trip again the next day and finally gets the check. Three days later, it cleared in my bank account and I was able to pay my poor roommate, who was now late on her rent because she'd been counting on me to have that money days ago.

The only good part is that I spent the remainder of the week writing furious emails to pretty much the entire university, and I guess it must have been the final straw for them, because the next semester, several employees in that department (including the one who had hosed up my disbursement) had been fired, and the entire process had been streamlined and redesigned so that it was much quicker and effective. But seriously gently caress that department.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is there some law somewhere that every university is required to hire the absolute worst people to handle the paperwork? I've seen some absolutely baffling mistakes when it comes to university stuff and nothing ever seems to be right in the system. I've seen people put in the paperwork to add a minor end up with their majors changed dramatically, get booted out of required classes without warning, then have the paperwork to get back to their old majors repeatedly lost. Other times I've seen people apply to graduate but then be told they can't because they are missing two classes despite having actually taken them. Then when you try to fix it all it takes months.

I get that mistakes happen and that universities have a bureaucracy by necessity but can't they like...put in some system to fix mistakes when they inevitably happen?

Granted I've also had my university disburse money literally a month into the semester so I don't even know what the gently caress sometimes.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I guess my university is nice or something because I've never had a problem that wasn't my own fault, and the problems I did make for myself they helped me out quite easily.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is there some law somewhere that every university is required to hire the absolute worst people to handle the paperwork? I've seen some absolutely baffling mistakes when it comes to university stuff and nothing ever seems to be right in the system. I've seen people put in the paperwork to add a minor end up with their majors changed dramatically, get booted out of required classes without warning, then have the paperwork to get back to their old majors repeatedly lost. Other times I've seen people apply to graduate but then be told they can't because they are missing two classes despite having actually taken them. Then when you try to fix it all it takes months.

I get that mistakes happen and that universities have a bureaucracy by necessity but can't they like...put in some system to fix mistakes when they inevitably happen?

Granted I've also had my university disburse money literally a month into the semester so I don't even know what the gently caress sometimes.

Judging from some of the job posts for staff that I saw on university websites and how much they pay, they are literally not paid enough to care.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Dante Logos posted:

Judging from some of the job posts for staff that I saw on university websites and how much they pay, they are literally not paid enough to care.

Even worse when they get work-study students in as assistants - for $4.50/hr, you can't get me to care if the building's on fire. Oh, I'll leave, but don't expect me to pull the alarm without offering me credits for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dante Logos posted:

Speaking as a university staffer, this is the truth. There's typically about a dozen people at a university who make a good amount of money (usually the president and sports coaches), and everyone else is told that if they wanted to make good money then why are they working in education.

That is not a joke, incidentally. I briefly mentioned the lovely pay at an employee luncheon to a guy in HR, and he directly told me that I'm working in education, I'm not going to be paid much.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I applied for funds from the university three times and every one was a disaster.
Yep, sounds about right. Occasionally I'll swing conference travel funds, which is great. What's not great is that I have to use a personal credit card issued to me by the school to pay for everything, and then the school pays me back once they've gotten the receipts (after sitting on them for 9 weeks).

It sounds okay, but it's not a normal credit card. It has to be paid, in full, after a single billing cycle. Or it's considered late. After 30 days, the credit card company start calling and threatening.

So basically: "We'll pay for your $3000 trip, but you have to pay for all of it first. On your poo poo salary that in no way can you afford."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Even worse when they get work-study students in as assistants - for $4.50/hr, you can't get me to care if the building's on fire. Oh, I'll leave, but don't expect me to pull the alarm without offering me credits for it.

That's the other thing that kind of confuses me about universities; it seems like there's this drive to make it look like they're serving the students and being totally amazing and all that. You hear about how they put the students first and want to make college an amazing experience and you can learn anything there and what have you. Then they put no effort at all into the things that actually make the college experience great. Paperwork is a Kafaesque nightmare. A poo poo load of on-campus jobs are underpaid work study people that are more interested in doing their homework than their jobs (and I can't blame them; for the beans they pay and the fact that it's often "sit here and make sure nothing breaks" no wonder they don't care). Tuition goes up every year but class sizes get bigger and faculty get smaller.

The most baffling thing that I see at the school I attend is that they keep reducing the faculty size and eliminating entire majors while bitching that enrollment is down. Some departments are woefully underfunded and people keep transferring away after their first year. Retention is dismal and people attending the school keep telling people they know "don't go here, it sucks" but instead of spending money making the university suck less they spend it on marketing and overpriced student housing. Yeah, that's how you get enrollment up...eliminate departments and make it cost more to go there.

The dumbest thing was that the year after the college eliminated an entire department which destroyed several related majors in another department and eliminated a few subjects in other departments the brand new, very expensive website said "there is no limit to what you can learn in our classrooms!" Yeah no limits except the ones you put in the year before.

poo poo is getting worse but the response of colleges has been "give us money after you graduate you ungrateful shits."

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I have a small question. I'm taking an online anthropology course this summer, and the prof is insisting on us using the newest edition of the book (claiming a different structure and 'updated information' from the previous edition.) The newer book is 90 buck used, but the older on (released in 2009 so not that old) is only like, 7 bucks with shipping. Would a newer book really be worth the extra cost?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

poo poo is getting worse but the response of colleges has been "give us money after you graduate you ungrateful shits."

Not that I don't empathize as a university staff member, but this is in large part because of the utter evisceration of public education funding in the US.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Stool Sample posted:

I have a small question. I'm taking an online anthropology course this summer, and the prof is insisting on us using the newest edition of the book (claiming a different structure and 'updated information' from the previous edition.) The newer book is 90 buck used, but the older on (released in 2009 so not that old) is only like, 7 bucks with shipping. Would a newer book really be worth the extra cost?

See if the professor is willing to put the textbook on reserve in the library. I do that for the classes I teach for the students that can't afford textbooks. Otherwise - it's a toss-up. You're taking a chance on crucial information being changed or new additions to the text being really important. Most of the time, the major changes are re-ordering of the chapters and the page numbers being different, which is a pain in the rear end. Six years can also be a pretty substantial difference in the academic world.

I guess the question is, how much is it worth it to you to gamble?

Edit: Missed that it's online. The library trick probably won't work.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

lord funk posted:

Yep, sounds about right. Occasionally I'll swing conference travel funds, which is great. What's not great is that I have to use a personal credit card issued to me by the school to pay for everything, and then the school pays me back once they've gotten the receipts (after sitting on them for 9 weeks).

It sounds okay, but it's not a normal credit card. It has to be paid, in full, after a single billing cycle. Or it's considered late. After 30 days, the credit card company start calling and threatening.

So basically: "We'll pay for your $3000 trip, but you have to pay for all of it first. On your poo poo salary that in no way can you afford."

Yeah this poo poo is loving ridiculous. You undergrads reading this can take heart, sort of, because the academic system fucks over grads and profs too. And admin/staff that don't rank high enough.

Speaking of, the national organization for my field recently published a statement clarifying their stance on certain hiring practices. Those of us in my area of specialization can rest easy now! If a department doesn't want to shell out for an actual interview space at the annual convention, they can still have interviews in professors' hotel rooms, but they can't sit on the bed while conducting them or leave their toothbrushes out. Whew! Also they strongly discourage the practice of asking [unemployed] job applicants who make it to the on-campus interview stage to pay for their own flights and accommodations with reimbursement later.

Keep in mind that in this field the applicant is almost always a grad student/adjunct making less than 20K a year (and that's a generous top point). For the convention interviews, the hiring department does not pay for interviewees to attend, and a lot of times the interviewee doesn't have conference/interview funding from their current institute either. I got lucky and the annual convention happened to be in the town I lived in the year I was on the job market, but I know quite a few people who paid a grand out of pocket with no reimbursement to be interviewed in some guy's hotel bedroom surrounded by jammies and toiletries while a member of the interviewing committee lounges on the bed not even listening. All this for a job requiring a doctorate and at least 50 hours a week, but only paying 45K.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Professor: "we can get you into that program no problem you just need to fill out the online application"

Administration: "what, no you need to fill out this expansive application including a bunch of additional signatures"

*all of the signatories but one have mutually exclusive office hours both to each other and my classes*

1st signatory: "you actually need to meet with another professor first, I know the application doesn't say that, but it's how the registrar wants it done"

2nd signatory: "I'm on leave for a year, go talk to (originally recommending professor)"9

Original professor: "yeah, I can sign that"

3rd signatory via email: "come in anytime, my door is open anytime"

Me: "alright, I'll come in at X if that's okay"

*no answer*

*3rd signatory is not there when I arrive the next day at X because he's at meetings all day, and his office hours aren't posted on the Web or his door"

As far as complaints go it's more frustrating than anything, but it's really frustrating having to just through so many hoops. I'm only slightly closer to my end-goal, and I still have a lot of finagling to go before I'm done.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jaramin posted:

runaround
[sad-high-five.img]

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Stool Sample posted:

Book publishers often supply the professor with the course "shell" and all the tests and such for their courses, online or other. Textbook publishers love to rearrange texts every edition, and the professor's warning of differing structure is likely evidence of this. The course tests will align with whatever the current textbook is - for example, "Question 5: In chapter 3 the author mentions blah blah blah. How does blah blah blah do blah?" Having the incorrect textbook will, in these cases, be totally worthless for you since chapter 3 used to be chapter 17 one edition previous.

This seems silly, why would they do this?! Well, the textbook publisher gets jack poo poo when you buy the book off ebay for $7, so they entice professors to use current editions with the promise of writing and providing all the tests and course materials. This offer is extra enticing during the summer since 1) professors get paid extra, on top of their salary for summer classes, and 2) professors don't want to actually work during summer.

And then there's codes for online bullshit, which is an extra special level of textbook publisher hell.

edit: You can totally ask the prof to put the book on reserve at the library, they do that all the time for online classes. Also, check Amazon - their textbook rental prices are like half of my college's prices for books. But make sure you do not google the name of the textbook with the letters "pdf" after it - that would be naughty.

Lamech has a new favorite as of 05:24 on May 7, 2015

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Not a university, but I had a similar experience trying to get paperwork from my old high school.

Essentially got bounced from office A to office B and back again, as nobody wanted to be the one to handle it.

In the end after about 5 recursive transfers, I just gave up and told them I'd do without.

Had I been busy, I would have been frustrated, instead of bemused.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Disco Nixon posted:

Amazingly, most people ignore them. How do they get away with pulling their kids out of school on a Wednesday at 11am to protest?

Didn't see anyone get to this, the reason is that any parents that deep into the fundie madness are almost always "homeschooling" their children.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Things I'm ashamed to admit to have done: Bitched out a woman at my JC's admin office after a variety of stupid administrative fuckups. In retrospect, it was a dick thing to do, but in the moment, all my pent up anger just flowed out and it was like an orgasm of passive-aggressive rage at that JC that had been stewing beneath the surface for years.

It felt so goooood. Then I got to actual college and realized how cute and petite JC admin is in comparison. Want to petition to get a grade in a class you took two years ago(and passed)? Oh baby, 5 visits to the registrar later that poo poo still ain't figured out.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lamech posted:

Book publishers often supply the professor with the course "shell" and all the tests and such for their courses, online or other. Textbook publishers love to rearrange texts every edition, and the professor's warning of differing structure is likely evidence of this. The course tests will align with whatever the current textbook is - for example, "Question 5: In chapter 3 the author mentions blah blah blah. How does blah blah blah do blah?" Having the incorrect textbook will, in these cases, be totally worthless for you since chapter 3 used to be chapter 17 one edition previous.

This seems silly, why would they do this?! Well, the textbook publisher gets jack poo poo when you buy the book off ebay for $7, so they entice professors to use current editions with the promise of writing and providing all the tests and course materials. This offer is extra enticing during the summer since 1) professors get paid extra, on top of their salary for summer classes, and 2) professors don't want to actually work during summer.

And then there's codes for online bullshit, which is an extra special level of textbook publisher hell.

edit: You can totally ask the prof to put the book on reserve at the library, they do that all the time for online classes. Also, check Amazon - their textbook rental prices are like half of my college's prices for books. But make sure you do not google the name of the textbook with the letters "pdf" after it - that would be naughty.

A friend of mine getting her master's in accounting said that during her last semester, one of her professors made the course text an online-only book that cost $350 and supposedly "expired" at the end of the semester. When she found out it was just a PDF, she quickly emailed her classmates. They put some money together, she bought the "book" and took the PDF to the local fax/copy/etc shop and had two dozen copies printed up and ring bound. She said the gal at the counter literally said "this is illegal, but whatevs el oh el" and hit "print." When all was said and done the copies averaged out to just over five bucks apiece, and they had cash leftover (that they agreed to spend on pitchers of beer).

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

Lamech posted:

When I taught we didn't have the option of ordering older editions from the bookstore at all, so I always just told students that they could also use earlier editions on the first day of class (and would of course put the textbook on reserve). I know that a few people have complained about profs waiting for the first day of class to say that, but IMO you shouldn't buy books til after you take the first class, unless you are 100% sure you're keeping that course and the professor has notified students that the book will be used the first day. Even if the professor does want you to use the current edition, you might get there and realize you hate or don't need the class, or a better class might open up.

That said I'm in a field where we generally don't use the textbook for anything other than a supplement/context to lectures, so if the professor is insistent that the new one be used, it's probably because they plan to use very specific material from it that is going to be different, so I'd just buy the book or ask for it to be on course reserve.

Also I once worked freelance for a publishing company in my second year of grad school. You know how some textbooks have websites listed at the end of each chapter? My job was to take the 6th edition, visit all the websites, and replace any broken links with new ones. The new websites, a handful of new graphs, and some rearranged chapters were literally the only difference between the 6th and 7th editions of that textbook. Oh yeah, I got paid $200 to do this, and the new book sold for $135 a pop.

CrotchDropJeans has a new favorite as of 15:56 on May 7, 2015

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Only one more final left today at 12:30 and then I am done for the semester. Thank God I only had one cumulative exam this year, those are always the hardest, especially when your professor doesn't provide a study guide of what they think are the most important concepts to understand. :sigh:

Wish me luck goons and good luck to any goons who have finals now/soon.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've got a $70 book with the plastic still on it. Never had to use it and I couldn't sell it to anyone.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Textbooks are such an unbelievably scummy, awful thing all around. Granted this is part of why I think my ceramics professor will always be one of my favorites. He didn't even put book requests into the book store and the first day of class just says "OK, you'll need X book. You can find hardback editions on Amazon for $5 and the information never really changed. Get any edition like whenever. You won't really need it for a month and you just need to read it, put stuff in your notes, and know [list of things] for the final."

Technically speaking that's against university rules but it isn't actually enforced. To be honest I don't think that's enforceable at all. Professors are technically not allowed to encourage buying books on Amazon but at the same time the Amazon prices are often way better than the school's bookstore. Granted that also complicates the whole "don't buy the book before the first day thing" but even so I've found $200 books for like $40. Students are already generally facing awful financial situations; why make it worse for them?

Then I experienced Pearson. That's a whole different level of awful. eText that I can't download and can only access for the semester. Yeah hey God forbid I ever need to reference that book for something in the future! Thankfully it was only for the health class and I'll never need the book again but what the gently caress do you do if you have a class through Pearson and actually need to keep the book? Math and computer science books especially make very good references on the subjects and I find myself keeping them to keep the information handy in case I need it. What if I don't get to keep a copy?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Textbooks are such an unbelievably scummy, awful thing all around. Granted this is part of why I think my ceramics professor will always be one of my favorites. He didn't even put book requests into the book store and the first day of class just says "OK, you'll need X book. You can find hardback editions on Amazon for $5 and the information never really changed. Get any edition like whenever. You won't really need it for a month and you just need to read it, put stuff in your notes, and know [list of things] for the final."
I've been lucky enough that all my professors at state college do this. If anything I experienced rigid e-code books for $200 when I was at community college. Same with snobby professors. All my professors so far like first-name basis when you address them, but at community it was like you were addressing the president.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Group Projects :suicide:

5 people in group, Prof assigned group members, they decide (and vote 4-1) to do something really loving stupid/obscure instead of something on the suggested topic list.*

<3 days before it is due>

:downs: :downs: :downs: :downs: "poo poo, we can't find any books or journals that even come close to mentioning our thesis!"

Me: "Luckily I never even bothered looking, and emailed the proff, told him your idea, he said it was stupid, and said I could do it myself on a topic I chose at 1/5th the page requirements. I'm done, it's submitted and the only reason I'm here is the proff wanted to know the progress you made on a dead-end topic.

* It was for an Educational Psychology class, and they wanted to do a project on the affects of Social Media on the literacy skills of exceptional students (this was in 2006) so there was literally nothing that had been published on the subject as it was still pretty uncharted territory education wise. They actually got into trouble for academic dishonesty as they fabricated a source or two to try and support their thesis that MSN messenger/AIM was a useful teaching tool.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Group projects...ugh...my last one my group basically just shoved me in charge. Every single meeting was the only people that could be assed to show up saying "I did literally nothing hey why don't you give us templates so we can know what you want us to do?" I did and they still did literally nothing. I wrote 3/4 sections of the paper myself, arranged another meeting that nobody even bothered showing up to, then got called a douche bag for letting them know I'd be doing most of the work myself then letting the professor know. What little they did do the day before it was due was unusable garbage that nobody could be bothered to proof read. I ended up being awake until 5 a.m. on a day before I had two tests because of it. I was not happy.

We'll see what the professor does but apparently the other four guys wrote their own thing in the library the night before it was due. If it was at the level of the garbage they sent me I'm going to assume their grades will be wretched.

To be honest this is one of the most baffling things about college I see but then I think it confuses me because of my situation; I never thought I'd see the inside of a college if I wasn't hired to clean it so I'm making the most of the opportunity. Really busting my rear end to hand in good work, am double-majoring, and studying my drat face off. It grates on my nerves when somebody here is all "meh, I just skirt by with a 2.7 that's good enough" on their parents' dime. Way to squander an opportunity some people don't even get there, bucko.

That and these are the people that always bitch about their bad grades while putting in a completely minimal amount of effort. No I'm sorry but that 15 page paper that you wrote the night before was garbage and you should have started it when it was assigned. I have no sympathy if you get a C.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 00:49 on May 8, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Group projects means that the Prof/TA only had to mark (say) 1/5th the number of papers as opposed to everyone writing their own. This means much less work for them marking wise as there are much fewer papers, and assigning marks is even easier as he/she will just copy+paste the grade and comments for all of the group members. Some profs will try and explain the rationale of using group projects as teaching you to coordinate and work with others, but that's just BS. It's the same reason universities still have Multiple Choice tests, fast+easy way to mark a lot of things.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I must have been lucky with my group projects; out of the 12 at Uni I never had a bad one. Some bad people in the team, but there were always at least four people who could produce good work reliably. I learned plenty to apply to my job, though to be honest engineering is very group orientated and it's so much easier if you know how to run a team.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Final grades came out Friday. And somehow, my math class has given me a 0.0.

I don't know if my math professor just didn't submit my grade, or is doing some weird magical mathematics that makes four tests and a final exam worth no points, he had all day Friday and the rest of this weekend to answer my email about why my syllabus-based math and his etheric math wizardry don't match up, but if I don't get one, I'll be getting in touch with the registrar as soon as I get out of work Monday morning.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have 27 documents in my Google Drive from the prof who doesn't know how to use Drive since the first week of April. I told her about this. She can't figure out how to not share everything with me. Almost half of them are other students final project submissions from my class with the grading done and all comments attached. Like, holy gently caress. This includes private Youtube links of clips we had to make for this project. She's so drat clueless!

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Picnic Princess posted:

I have 27 documents in my Google Drive from the prof who doesn't know how to use Drive since the first week of April. I told her about this. She can't figure out how to not share everything with me. Almost half of them are other students final project submissions from my class with the grading done and all comments attached. Like, holy gently caress. This includes private Youtube links of clips we had to make for this project. She's so drat clueless!

Isn't that a huge breach of educational privacy laws and a fireable offense cause it opens up the school to several lawsuits?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

One class a few years back required a final project using Google Earth to trace a route along the Silk Road. Earth crashed and took a night's worth of work the first time I tried to use it. I think that's part of the reason I passed the class with the project half-finished.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Group projects are hell. Take all the best parts of what people think is a good paper/project and instead of ending up with a polished, smooth, and good-looking project, you end up with a Frankenstein monster that the professor gives you a B out of pity for.

I'm actually on a group project right now and one of our dudes is roughly 40 years old and 100% neurotic as gently caress.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Group projects are really great if you don't end up in a poo poo group.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I always feel bad in group projects because I'm never sure I'm doing enough for everyone else. I really do try and be vocal, give helpful comments on the work of others, help arrange group meetings etc., but I always get insecure and feel my own work isn't up to snuff, and/or that everyone would rather me not be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

kazil posted:

Group projects are really great if you don't end up in a poo poo group.

Which you'll always will.

• Locked thread