Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

bowmore posted:

But this isn't the point, it's the principal of the drat thing.

What the gently caress hysteria is this

Taxation is the foundatio of our state's ability to provide services

Presumably you're not a small-statist

What on earth is wrong with charging fat plebs an extra dollar a month - as we do for every other luxury item in this country - to go towards government revenue?

Can you please explain what is so inherently abhorrent aobut paying tax on netflix in particular except for WAAAAH IM A FAT MANBABY I DIDNT HAVE TO PAY TAX BEFORE AND NOW I DO! I have to pay an extra dollar to watch HENTAI TENTACLE LOVESHACK 17 on netflix booo gently caress you fat joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
if you can afford netflix youre probably not starving in a gutter and hunting birds for diiner

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

white mans burping posted:

if you can afford netflix youre probably not starving in a gutter and hunting birds for diiner

auspol so you can't rule this out

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The guy hunting birds on Struggle Street didn't seem to be starving.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Seagull posted:

auspol so you can't rule this out

On the other hand, auspol so they never leave the house

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

If your kid isnt smart enough to figure out trucks are dangerous Im sorry but your kid should be loving killed by a truck. And if you arent smart enough to tell your kids to pay great care to crossing the street then you shouldnt have kids.

Jesus Christ.

I think you've also solved the problem with drownings as well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

HENTAI TENTACLE LOVESHACK 17

would watch this

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I may be an over-sensitive lefty but isn't referring to a gay person as "a gay" really offensive?

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Jumpingmanjim posted:

would watch this

FYI the tentacles are making love to pigeons, i dont know if this makes it more or less attractive to you

Best

Soag

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I may be an over-sensitive lefty but isn't referring to a gay person as "a gay" really offensive?

The near future posted:

Convicted racist and homophobe Andrew Bolt

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's bolt... I think we need a :convictedracistsays: emoticon

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

If your kid isnt smart enough to figure out trucks are dangerous Im sorry but your kid should be loving killed by a truck. And if you arent smart enough to tell your kids to pay great care to crossing the street then you shouldnt have kids.

Jesus Christ.

kids who aren't rational actors should be executed - Aserface, L 2015

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just checking :)

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
he would need to accuse the guy of pretending to be gay and compare his clothing against dulux pink colour charts first

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really have an issue with taxing netflix but it's a worry that it's a stepping stone to tax all online services

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
nice backdown mate

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Soag, you know you don't actually give a gently caress, stop trying to alleviate your boredom by causing trouble and go huff farts

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its dumb because correctly taxing corporations and the rich would net more money that is actually supposed to be taxed rather than changing how foreign purchases are taxed.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

bowmore posted:

I don't really have an issue with taxing netflix but it's a worry that it's a stepping stone to tax all online services

What's wrong with taxing online services? I can understand not bothering collecting GST on physical goods under the value of $500. But why shouldn't we pay GST for online content?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jumpingmanjim posted:

would watch this
And yet this isn't the most disturbing fact about Jumpingmanjim.

:catstare:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There are companies operating in Australia physically that don't pay tax. Online services are run from remote locations under different governments. I'd rather focus on the companies that are here and should pay tax before international companies.

Do we pay some sort of US sales tax in the base price of Netflix because it's based there?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doesn't Netflix have an Australian operation anyway? If they're selling stuff in Australia primarily to Australians then it only seems fair that they charge GST. Charging it on Netflix subscriptions that people buy from the US arm of the company may be less so.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

People should be paying tax for this service delivered from international services!

*doesnt pay a cent of tax to the country his company operates in*

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Laserface posted:

Its dumb because correctly taxing corporations and the rich would net more money that is actually supposed to be taxed rather than changing how foreign purchases are taxed.
Except once you get past a certain threshold you can play I'm never paying tax to the ATO again and just employ more accountants and lawyers than the ATO can afford to. If your lawyers keep the ball in the air (Your determinations before the courts long enough) it becomes uneconomic for the ATO to pursue the revenue. The best bit is every single cent of that mighty endeavour is a tax deduction.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Freudian Slip posted:

What's wrong with taxing online services? I can understand not bothering collecting GST on physical goods under the value of $500. But why shouldn't we pay GST for online content?
how would it be implemented or enforced? Online vendors operating outside Australia are unlikely to be interested in collecting GST for the Australian government.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Does Netflix have any legal or physical presence in Australia, or is it just a website for Australians and everything is actually in the US (or wherever)?

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

SadisTech posted:

Soag, you know you don't actually give a gently caress, stop trying to alleviate your boredom by causing trouble and go huff farts

That's not true, I care when people say stupid stuff which is disguising their own petty self intereset in the guide of an argument about BROADER PRINCIPLES and EFFICIENCY

which this thread is absolutely loving full of right now

Laserface posted:

Yes because the government can only do one single thing at any given point in time

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Yes because the government can only do one single thing at any given point in time

To be fair this government can't even do one single thing, let alone chase multiple taxation options.

EDIT: Taxing Netflix and online services is fine, it's only going to increase the cost by about $1 anyway. But it's really just a smokescreen to cover the fact that Hockey doesn't want to chase big multinationals that use loopholes.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 7, 2015

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
instate full communism imo

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
:cry: MY MOVIES :cry:

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

EDIT: Taxing Netflix and online services is fine, it's only going to increase the cost by about $1 anyway. But it's really just a smokescreen to cover the fact that Hockey doesn't want to chase big multinationals that use loopholes.

Fair enough and valid criticism

but a different issue to THE PRINCIPLE OF IT ALL

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont pay for Netflix so I couldnt give a gently caress how much it costs.

I do care that the government feels this is a great injustice worthy of pursuit while Murdoch and Co dont pay any tax at all and thats apparently cool beans.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
i feel like both sides have expressed their point of view and further debate will result in you people repeaint the same point more and more stridently

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to pay more for things :(

international shipping is prohibitive enough + regular old australia tax

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

bowmore posted:

i too fear for the future of my untaxed anime titties

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

bowmore posted:

I don't want to pay more for things :(

international shipping is prohibitive enough + regular old australia tax

"i want social welfare and i want medicare and i want a functioning bureacracy and roads and also nice public transport. But no i'm not paying an extra dollar to be able to watch seinfeld reruns on demmand"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"i want social welfare and i want medicare and i want a functioning bureacracy and roads and also nice public transport. But no i'm not paying an extra dollar to be able to watch seinfeld reruns on demmand"

It's fine for netflix to pay tax. Corporations that avoid our current tax laws should be brought to heel and pay tax. These two statements are unrelated. Argument solved.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

hooman posted:

It's fine for netflix to pay tax. Corporations that avoid our current tax laws should be brought to heel and pay tax. These two statements are unrelated. Argument solved.

agreed-o

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't actually have netflix and borrow all my poo poo from the library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The funniest part of all of this is Foxtel pretending that if Netflix were forced to pay GST it'd somehow make up the pricing difference

• Locked thread