Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Just ordered a 64gb S6 and accessories, including the Skinomi tech glass protector. I have the tech skin on my m7 and it's done me well, does anyone have experience with the tech glass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Lacks the hardware features I want, software that's any good, or timely updates but all the other stuff is good. So basically what it is, what it does, and what it will be sucks but the rest of it is great!

Well the wireless charging can likely be easily added later, and 2 amp chargers are decently quick too. Software looks fine as well. Sorry it's not a N6!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Yes this. If you've heard anyone talking about wireless charging, they're talking about Qi. There are no devices of the other sort on sale. There are no chargers of the other sort on sale.

Outside of some bizarre coffeeshop tie in deal in the US, there are no non-Qi wireless chargers anywhere.

IKEA are going to sell Qi chargers integrated into furniture. Qi has won.
Samsung included PMA in the S6 and S6E but it also works with Qi. The charger that they released is Qi though, which says a lot about which one they are really backing. Maybe everything will end up just supporting both and consumers won't have to care. But if PMA could just die that would be good too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Well the wireless charging can likely be easily added later, and 2 amp chargers are decently quick too. Software looks fine as well. Sorry it's not a N6!

I meant it more a commentary on the state of Android rather than a criticism of your choice. It's a problem as old as Android itself:

OEM ships device without desired hardware features, questionable software, and a poor track record on updates > consumer buys device anyway > OEM interprets this as "leave out hardware features as consumers prefer to buy those later, continue using Papyrus for the system font, and update the device maybe once if that" > consumer laments the Android ecosystem's lack of desired hardware features, OEM skins, and poor track record of keeping devices up to date and secure > OEM ships device without desired hardware features, questionable software, and a poor track record on updates...

It's the swamp from which Android will never crawl out.

Tunga posted:

Samsung included PMA in the S6 and S6E but it also works with Qi. The charger that they released is Qi though, which says a lot about which one they are really backing. Maybe everything will end up just supporting both and consumers won't have to care. But if PMA could just die that would be good too.

The one that wins will be the one Apple picks. Until Apple incorporates one or the other into its devices there is no standard.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Or apple picks its own standard just because.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

The one that wins will be the one Apple picks. Until Apple incorporates one or the other into its devices there is no standard.
Hint: if you hold up an Apple Watch charger puck to a Moto 360, it charges it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Hint: if you hold up an Apple Watch charger puck to a Moto 360, it charges it.
But the other way around does nothing. Apple picked Qi with DRM.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

But the other way around does nothing. Apple picked Qi with DRM.

:psyduck: Why???

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If I had to guess, they didn't want people's $20,000 watch broken because someone used it with an unapproved charger.

I sure hope Apple goes with Qi.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 6, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I don't remember seeing this mentioned here. It looks like Samsung ran out of Sony sensors for the S6 and started using their own.
http://www.sammobile.com/2015/05/05/heres-the-difference-between-samsung-and-sony-camera-sensors-on-the-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
PowerMat was around before Qi, but it had such a rocky start that everybody wrote it off. Now that there are phones with built-in wireless charging, people are ready to embrace it - but I had an EVO 4G with a PowerMat charging backplate, and it was the most amazing thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I've now got a ringke slim for my nexus 6 and I link it way more than the diztronic tpu. It's a little slippery but the reduced bulk is worth this trade off.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Cultural Imperial posted:

I've now got a ringke slim for my nexus 6 and I link it way more than the diztronic tpu. It's a little slippery but the reduced bulk is worth this trade off.

Looks preeeetty good. Only $10 on amazon too. Tempting.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RE: Verizon I get a 20% discount because of my work and they pay $100 toward my family plan so it's really not bad. I am not the typical case financially, but their coverage is really good so I have little to no complaints.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Google Butt posted:

Just ordered a 64gb S6 and accessories, including the Skinomi tech glass protector. I have the tech skin on my m7 and it's done me well, does anyone have experience with the tech glass?
The glass screen protectors are hit and miss on the S6. The sides of the screen are slightly curved which means a glass protector can't adhere to the entire area. Some companies take that into account and make it a bit smaller for a proper fit, others have made them a bit too large resulting in the sides not sticking to the phone and looking like poo poo. The same thing happened with the Note 4 and Nexus 6 which made it hard to figure out which brand to buy in the beginning. Usually the companies are good about refunding or exchanging if they gently caress it up though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

NVIDIA is done with phones using Tegra processors, they're shutting down (and may sell) their integrated 3G/4G modem unit

Tablets may be next.

Looks like the next Nexus tablet won't be Tegra-based. However, that's an obvious statement given how lovely the Nexus 9 is and how Google hilariously neglects it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I have it for the Note 4 and it's fabulous. Unfortunately with the slim profile comes no drop protection other than crossing your fingers and hoping it's a carpet you're standing on.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

I have it for the Note 4 and it's fabulous. Unfortunately with the slim profile comes no drop protection other than crossing your fingers and hoping it's a carpet you're standing on.

If that's true, what is the point of even having a case?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Scratch protection. Also the vague hope that it will break part of the fall in a drop.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I had the ringke slim before diztronic on my n6 and felt like it increased the chance of it falling (slippery) while offering no real protection. A case needs to have a small lip to protect the screen from falls IMO.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Make way for Android M at Google I/O this month

That was fast. :v:

EDIT: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/06/android-m-will-be-announced-at-google-io-2015-according-to-conference-schedule/ They took it down but...yep.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mooktastical posted:

If that's true, what is the point of even having a case?

Scratch protection. Also the vague hope that it will break part of the fall in a drop.

This. I had a thicker, more protective case first (the official Samsung non-folio case) and while it was nice it was a little bit too bulky, especially on the edges (where it provided excellent drop protection). Over the months I realized that my concerns about dropping the phone everywhere weren't coming to fruition, so I dropped the case entirely.

I used it case-less for a bit until I got concerned about scratching or just getting it dirty when I put it down on a table or something. The Slim provides contact protection while being thin and nice (it's a rubbery plastic, think N5), and there's even a small lip over the screen. But there is no "cushion" that could absorb force if it fell onto something harder, like concrete.

If I actually dropped it, I give it a 50/50 chance of shattering the screen, if it landed on a corner. I'm contemplating doing Diztronic, because I've had their cases for my last two phones and it worked well. But I'm not a fan of cases covering the buttons, and it doesn't seem any different size-wise compared to the official samsung case.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Android M will be out before my Turbo gets 5.x :negative:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Problem: Android version numbers are a fuzzy, incoherent mess with no firm development or release schedule
Solution: Numbers replaced with letters (plus trailing point releases anyway because uh-oh :saddowns:)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
the Nexus 9 will never get Android K.3.56.21.1

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

butt dickus posted:

I don't remember seeing this mentioned here. It looks like Samsung ran out of Sony sensors for the S6 and started using their own.
http://www.sammobile.com/2015/05/05/heres-the-difference-between-samsung-and-sony-camera-sensors-on-the-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge/

The same was for Note 4. It's not a big deal.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Logikv9 posted:

This. I had a thicker, more protective case first (the official Samsung non-folio case) and while it was nice it was a little bit too bulky, especially on the edges (where it provided excellent drop protection). Over the months I realized that my concerns about dropping the phone everywhere weren't coming to fruition, so I dropped the case entirely.

I used it case-less for a bit until I got concerned about scratching or just getting it dirty when I put it down on a table or something. The Slim provides contact protection while being thin and nice (it's a rubbery plastic, think N5), and there's even a small lip over the screen. But there is no "cushion" that could absorb force if it fell onto something harder, like concrete.

If I actually dropped it, I give it a 50/50 chance of shattering the screen, if it landed on a corner. I'm contemplating doing Diztronic, because I've had their cases for my last two phones and it worked well. But I'm not a fan of cases covering the buttons, and it doesn't seem any different size-wise compared to the official samsung case.

I'm a butterfingers and probably drop my Z2 at least twice a week, from torso height, onto either hardwood/concreate/tile/asphalt with just the lovely sony "folio" case and have had 0 issues. Either Sony has a lock on building sturdy hardware, other manufacturers make shoddy hardware, or I have been exceptionally lucky. In short, get a Sony. :smuggo:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is Smart Lock supposed to keep the Location icon in the notification bar all the time when you're at a trusted location?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No, only when you're unlocking the device. Even then I don't usually notice it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Well then, I've got a problem :raise:

Upgraded to a 2014 Moto X Pure Edition yesterday, but all of my apps are the same as I've been using for months. I checked the Location settings and the only thing with High Battery Use is the Moto app for some reason. It has persisted through a reboot.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rastor posted:

Hey look at that, we're hearing about the Moto X 2015:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Third-generation-Motorola-Moto-X-specs-leak_id68996

The rumor gives it similar internals to the LG G4, while keeping the (relatively) small 5.2" screen size.
Sounds good. Maybe this one will finally add qi so I can upgrade my N5.

spincube posted:

Problem: Android version numbers are a fuzzy, incoherent mess with no firm development or release schedule
Solution: Numbers replaced with letters (plus trailing point releases anyway because uh-oh :saddowns:)
Am I the only one that thinks most manufacturers should use the year for major versions and dot versions for updates? example: Nexus 5 in 2015, Nexus 6 in 2016; Galaxy S 5 in 2015, Galaxy S 6 in 2016; Android 5.x.x in 2015, Android 6.x.x in 2016....

Rapner
May 7, 2013

s6 edge or note edge people, do you regret your purchase at all?

My contract is up so I'm upgrading for free today, and I'm looking at these two seeing I can't find any stock android phones with expandable memory available from my carrier. (Telstra)

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Rapner posted:

My contract is up so I'm upgrading for free today, and I'm looking at these two seeing I can't find any stock android phones with expandable memory available from my carrier. (Telstra)

You could just get the S6 or iPhone 6 on contract then sell it on ebay and use that cash to buy your preferred phone.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ilkhan posted:

Sounds good. Maybe this one will finally add qi so I can upgrade my N5.

Am I the only one that thinks most manufacturers should use the year for major versions and dot versions for updates? example: Nexus 5 in 2015, Nexus 6 in 2016; Galaxy S 5 in 2015, Galaxy S 6 in 2016; Android 5.x.x in 2015, Android 6.x.x in 2016....

What happens when a manufacturer wants to come out with an entire new phone? It starts with 5/6/etc.? Also, what happens if Android isn't ready for an entire new release that year? Google and manufactures don't always line up.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Rapner posted:

The S6 doesn't have expandable storage either. That said you really can't go wrong with either one as the Note Edge is pretty fantastic.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Super Dude posted:

What happens when a manufacturer wants to come out with an entire new phone? It starts with 5/6/etc.? Also, what happens if Android isn't ready for an entire new release that year? Google and manufactures don't always line up.
Model Z 2015 instead of model X 2015.
Android release names are arbitrary anyway. One per year isn't exactly hard.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ilkhan posted:

Model Z 2015 instead of model X 2015.
Android release names are arbitrary anyway. One per year isn't exactly hard.

There aren't usually enough changes to warrant a full version change. I really hope Android doesn't start doing that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, I think I'll be going with a Moto X when they release that version this year. Should be nice coming from my N5, and that leather looks :swoon: amazing when aged under use.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
The thing I don't like about removable storage is that Android doesn't automatically transfer programs into the removable storage, you have to do it manually and even then not all of the data transfers. I had a 16GB S5 for a while, with a 64GB MicroSD card in it. Phone became full within a few weeks, even when transferring all the programs I could to the SD card. So I wont buy any phones with atleast 32 to 64gb of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

b0nes posted:

The thing I don't like about removable storage is that Android doesn't automatically transfer programs into the removable storage

Of course it doesn't - that'd be a nightmare.

SD cards are good for keeping media like your Spotify cache on, but you really don't want to be moving apps there.