Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pakled posted:

I still love Navy's Wave Ryder.

and his bro, Blaze Ryder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
And that other Navy QB from 2007, Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Slate Action posted:

And that other Navy QB from 2007, Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada.

A name so long it wouldn't fit in NCAA when you tried to put it in

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Also looking up that guy's name reminded me that 2007 Navy is in the running for most entertaining 8-5 team ever:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Cincy had a good run of names. Leviticus Payne, Munchie Legaux, and a QB named Gunner Kiel.

In other cool names, Vandy has a philosophy professor with the completely badass name of Lucius Outlaw, which is in stark contrast to most philosopher names.

Alabama has a kicker atm named Gunnar Raborn

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Raku posted:

There has to be an Orson Scott Card character named that somewhere.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

Transported a chick named 'Kynndra' the other day.

:suicide:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

A name so long it wouldn't fit in NCAA when you tried to put it in

NCAA games also don't let you put hyphens in names which always pisses me off

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Raku posted:

He needs to do finger guns every time he hits a Field Goal.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Fluffdaddy posted:

He needs to do finger guns every time he hits a Field Goal.

lol at the idea of us making a field goal with our backup kicker

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Raku posted:

lol at the idea of us making a field goal with our backup kicker

:suicide:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

VDay posted:

Speaking of names, if anyone's sad that they'll no longer get to hear Owa Odighizuwa's name pronounced a couple of times a game, good news because his brother Osa Odighizuwa just committed to UCLA.

Not sure about his football acumen but he's an outstanding wrestler. Usually that is thought to translate well into football performance It almost never does

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Not sure about his football acumen but he's an outstanding wrestler. Usually that is thought to translate well into football performance It almost never does

brock lesnar in madden 06 would disagree

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

kelly gregg disagrees

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Groucho Marxist posted:

Murray is still going to get drafted by some team and get offered a shitload of money to see if he blinks

Sounds like he's not going to submit the required paperwork, which will make him ineligible to be drafted.

As a fan I'm glad he's making this decision. As a person I know it's a big risk and I hope he doesn't live to regret it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Here's Rutgers being terrible to their most successful and oldest(150+ years) program. I like how they essentially invented a number to tell these kids and alumni to gently caress off and stop bothering them.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/rutgers_betraying_tradition_of_its_oldest_sport_by.html

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

These are actually both Iowa related I guess since the exterior shots of Coach were filmed at Iowa (and the main character was named after Hayden Fry) and Mongo was played by Alex Karras

Page late, but the theme song to Coach is played by the Iowa State marching band (ISUCF"V"MB).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It has for Iowa a bunch of times. It's awesome for offensive and defensive linemen especially.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
ESPN Insider article on power 5 QB battles:

quote:

Here are updates on some other Power 5 QB battles.

Ohio State
Step back and think how unique, and potentially historic, this three-headed Ohio State quarterback monster is. If any one of the contenders were named the starter tomorrow, he would automatically become a Heisman favorite. The current leader, Cardale Jones, has to be considered one.

The evolving situation in Columbus leads our look at quarterback races following spring ball.

In a sense, not much was settled at OSU this spring since Jones was the only QB operating at 100 percent. Then again, maybe that did go a long way in deciding the race, since Jones -- who picked up for J.T. Barrett and guided the Bucks through the playoff to a national title -- now has a huge lead as Barrett and Braxton Miller work their way back to health.

Barring something unexpected, there's no way that Urban Meyer and the offensive staff could start anyone other than Jones in the opener at Virginia Tech. He has too much momentum -- and that rocket arm.

If Miller intends to transfer, he had better make that decision soon so he can begin to digest the new playbook and system.

That's one reason coaches have told me that Miller will likely stay put. In their view, it's likely too late for Miller -- who was inconsistent as a passer in a system he knew relatively well -- to pick up a new offense and excel.

His best option, those coaches say, is to use his athleticism and versatility at another position in Ohio State's offense. It's his best shot at a pro career, they say. If that's true, he really needs to demonstrate durability for scouts and NFL GMs.

And then there's Barrett, who sure seems like the odd man out. But all is not lost. As one Power 5 coach pointed out, even if he is relegated to be Jones' backup this fall, it would likely be Barrett's turn again in 2016.

Alabama
In the mix: Jacob Coker, David Cornwell, Cooper Bateman, Alec Morris, Blake Barnett

Who will win: Coker

Coker is the only Tide QB who has game experience, but, by itself, that does not make him a lock to start in September. It is an advantage in the race, however. So is an NFL-caliber arm, a physical tool that could legitimately push Coker toward some teams' draft boards with even modest success this fall.

Cornwell pushed Coker some in the spring, so this is far from a done deal. Coach Nick Saban has said as much. He's waiting for a QB to seize the job and, as much as Coker has done positively, Coker has yet to set himself apart.

The spring game is a good example. Coker had a 40-yard touchdown in the scrimmage, but he also had an interception that was returned for a score.

The other options are green, certainly, but they are still very much alive in the race. In particular, keep an eye on the early enrollee, Barnett. After seeing some film and the TV reality show, most coaches agree that Barnett was among the best at last summer's Elite 11 camp. It's very likely that he's the QB of the future at Bama; when will the future arrive, exactly?

Florida
In the mix: Will Grier, Treon Harris

Who will win: Harris

Indications out of spring camp were that neither Harris nor Grier did anything to separate themselves and seize the job. That isn't necessarily damning; it isn't encouraging, either, when Florida is looking to make strides on the offensive side of the ball. And soon.

The Gators need something more than a default or stopgap quarterback. As both new head coach Jim McElwain and OC Doug Nussmeier note, however, the positions around the quarterback are going to have to improve before the QB is even relatively successful. That's not going to happen by this fall, so expectations are decidedly low for Harris, Grier and the entire offense. It'll be another year of offensive transition in Gainesville.

Florida State
In the mix: Sean Maguire, JJ Cosentino, De'Andre Johnson

Who will win: Maguire.

When coach Jimbo Fisher was recently asked how the spring went for the QBs, he talked exclusively about Maguire. Only later, after being asked a follow-up, did he mention the promise of Cosentino and Johnson. Even then, it was in a down-the-road sense.

It's clear that Maguire is the guy, even if he looked shaky in limited game experience last season. The Seminoles were fortunate to escape against Clemson as Jameis Winston served a one-game suspension.

"Clemson's defense would make a lot of quarterbacks look bad, though," one coach responded.

Fisher doesn't see that game as an indication of what's to come from Maguire. He raved about his arm. The concern, Fisher said, is that Maguire will fall into the trap of chasing Winston's shadow. He doesn't need to impersonate his predecessor, Fisher said.

What aids that cause: The skill around Maguire figures to elevate quarterback play. Sophomores Dalvin Cook at running back and Travis Rudolph and Ermon Lane at receiver provide a dream supporting cast for a QB.

Texas
In the mix: Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard, Kai Locksley

Who will win: Heard

The coaching staff was down on Heard a year ago, but the Elite 11 and ESPN 300 alum from ‘14 is starting to gain some momentum entering his redshirt freshman season. The Longhorns' evolution toward more spread principles favors Heard, who is the team's most athletic option. Second-year coach Charlie Strong and the staff believe Heard gives the team the best chance to win. (Isn't that what it's all about?)

Even so, it wouldn't be a surprise to see both Heard and Swoopes at varying points this fall. As much as Heard has earned some cred from the coaches, those close to the program say they're still not fully sold. Neither QB seems to be the long-term answer, really. Additionally, it's unlikely that Locksley is, either; he was likely headed for another position if he followed through on a commitment to FSU.

Reality is that Texas, after missing on high-end recruit Kyler Murray, is still on the hunt for its "franchise" quarterback.

Georgia
In the mix: Brice Ramsey, Faton Bauta, Jacob Park

Who will win: Ramsey.

Entering the spring, Ramsey appeared to be the logical fit to replace Hutson Mason. Bauta, however, didn't subscribe to the notion that he would play second fiddle to Ramsey.

In fact, Bauta connected on 25 consecutive passes (completed 16 in a row) in the spring scrimmage to Ramsey's nine (five completed).

The winner of this race will not feel too, too much pressure. Handing off to big running back Nick Chubb is a nice security blanket during the acclimation period.

Oregon
In the mix: Jeff Lockie, Morgan Mahalak, Travis Jonsen, Vernon Adams

Who will win: Adams.

It's strange to say that someone who isn't on campus is the leader to start. Adams isn't your typical post-grad transfer, however.

His resume as an FCS star portends well for his transition in a system such as Oregon's which has more weapons. As good as Eastern Washington is, Adams didn't have players such as Royce Freeman and Charles Nelson around him.

In a more general sense, it'll be interesting to see how Oregon's retools its line after losing a handful of players to the NFL.

Oklahoma
In the mix: Trevor Knight, Baker Mayfield, Justice Hansen, Cody Thomas

Who will win: Mayfield.

The Texas Tech transfer earned angelic reviews last spring and summer, but he wasn't eligible. Now he is, and the new OC's roots are in the Air Raid offense and Mayfield has the chops to be the guy. That signals go, go, go.

The precipitous fall of Knight is incredible when you think about it, considering that he was on a number of Heisman lists a year ago. Really, he proved to be too inconsistent, especially when it came to pushing the ball downfield.

Even with the return of Air Raid offensive schemes with new OC Lincoln Riley, OU's coaches say that the backbone of the offense still should be Samaje Perineand the ground game. Balance figures to allow Mayfield to flourish; nothing will be forced. How the Sooners recruit the receiver position moving forward will is intriguing, as well. Keep an eye on that now that Dennis Simmons has replaced Jay Norvell on the staff.

UCLA
In the mix: Jerry Neuheisel, Asantii Woulard, Josh Rosen

Who will win? Neuheisel.

Neuheisel will exit camp with the job based on previous experience last season, but how long can he keep it?

Rosen, the early enrollee who was the No. 2-rated QB in the 2015 class, is coming for Neuheisel.

Rosen has the arm talent and personality to set the coaching staff's minds at ease about playing someone so young. He can handle it.

Rosen will be one of college football’s brightest stars in the coming years, beginning this fall.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Everett Golson is transferring from Notre Dame.

Come back home to South Carolina, Everett.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I disagree with that article. Grier is gonna win the job :colbert:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I agree with that article. Jones should be the front runner since he's gotten all the work so far in the offseason and I've been saying Braxton needs to learn a new position especially if he wants a career in the NFL.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

With Golson being a loving interception machine, I'm all for this move.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
:lol: just saw a tweet mentioning Golson transferring to Washington like he'd want to play QB for us one year after we graduated all our good players get the gently caress outta here

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Everett Golson to Kent State?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can't believe Braxton hasn't transferred.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Braxton Miller to Kent State?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Braxton Miller to Kent State?

Nah, you're getting Shane Morris.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I don't think he can pass the entrance exam at this point in his life

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

With Golson being a loving interception machine, I'm all for this move.

I doubt it'll happen since we weren't interested enough to recruit him originally and Spurrier hasn't seemed keen on the idea of transfer quarterbacks, but given our current QB situation, it's possible.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
HOTLANTA MAN,

Guess you don't have PM's since the one I sent this morning from my phone didn't go through. E-mail me at bobkarr72@gmail.com please.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RumbleFish posted:

Even when people thought he was good he wasn't anything special and he was downright awful last year.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can't believe Braxton hasn't transferred.

I'm still mad the Oregon thing didn't happen, that was perfect.

Even if he wants to work at different positions, the best spot for him long term seems like RB and OSU is pretty set there.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

I disagree with that article. Grier is gonna win the job :colbert:

I concur.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I will be surprised if Will Grier ends up being a star at Florida. Dude played practically 8-man football in high school.

MourningView posted:

Even when people thought he was good he wasn't anything special and he was downright awful last year.

Yeah, I'm not enamored with Golson, but our quarterback situation right now is a bunch of "Well, this guy SHOULD be good" conjecture paired with a walk-on and lightly recruited backup. I think we can win with Connor Mitch and I'm fine with standing pat, but there will definitely be some fans who want us to go hard after Golson. But again, this conversation is probably moot anyway as that's not how Spurrier has rolled.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

McKarty

McKarty

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

HOTLANTA MAN,

Guess you don't have PM's since the one I sent this morning from my phone didn't go through. E-mail me at bobkarr72@gmail.com please.

You got it. I should get back to you this evening.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The SEC Network is now the #5 sports network in the country by revenue. It earns as much as the Big Ten network, the Pac 12 Network, and ESPNU combined.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-15-most-valuable-sports-networks-050715

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Gonna be interesting to see what happens when the unbundling of cable programming happens.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

The SEC Network is now the #5 sports network in the country by revenue. It earns as much as the Big Ten network, the Pac 12 Network, and ESPNU combined.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-15-most-valuable-sports-networks-050715

Screw you Longhorns, Huskers, and Aggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

RumbleFish posted:

I will be surprised if Will Grier ends up being a star at Florida. Dude played practically 8-man football in high school.

• Locked thread