Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

I've never seen that, and it's loving cool. We can barely get a bugler for funerals.

We don't get a bugler for funerals. You get an electronic device that looks and sounds like a bugle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Until it goes off under the bugler's armpit 2 minutes after they forget to shut it off.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you've got a band on post then it's easier than gently caress for your commander to call up and request them out if they aren't busy.

However, no one could give the slightest gently caress to even make a 2 minute phone call to not make a funeral detail a farcical affair

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I need to know where to buy this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

not caring here posted:

If you've got a band on post then it's easier than gently caress for your commander to call up and request them out if they aren't busy.

However, no one could give the slightest gently caress to even make a 2 minute phone call to not make a funeral detail a farcical affair
Last time we had a funeral someone insisted on calling in the honor guard from the closest active duty base. They did the whole fake bugle thing which pissed a lot of people off because there's a guy on base who was going to do it with a real bugle. He owns it specifically for that reason.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I need to know where to buy this.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/163809219/army-make-stuff-deadbe-the-meat-mug fyi

By the people guy that made this http://www.spellingmistakescostlives.com/bethemeat/

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 7, 2015

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

We don't get a bugler for funerals. You get an electronic device that looks and sounds like a bugle.

That's hosed up. Every one I have ever been to, regardless of it being combat related or the old guy down the street who died in his sleep after serving a few months in Korea back in the day, rates a dude sent by defense to blow the horn.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Not no more, son.

Casimir Radon posted:

Last time we had a funeral someone insisted on calling in the honor guard from the closest active duty base. They did the whole fake bugle thing which pissed a lot of people off because there's a guy on base who was going to do it with a real bugle. He owns it specifically for that reason.

I think I had a little bit of a stroke reading this. My brain just locked up.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Didn't Cry Once medal needs to replace all the commendation medals

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
mght as well just play a dubstep air horn

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

not caring here posted:

When I was in high school, I was in band and NJROTC. The instructor asked of I was up to play Taps for a Vietnam vet.

They were gonna have a tape player do Taps instead of a real bugler, and they got me.

It was humbling and the family was so grateful and nice.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I didn't know that was a thing.

If you file the paperwork to get buried at the military cemetery in Ottawa you can tick a box for bugler, bagpiper or both.

I hope the bagpipes are real.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

If you file the paperwork to get buried at the military cemetery in Ottawa you can tick a box for bugler, bagpiper or both.

As the musical equivalent of being embalmed standing at attention with middle fingers raised proudly against all who might see me, I goddamned well hope the bagpipes are real, too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Didn't Cry Once medal needs to replace all the commendation medals

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, here they send a guy to blow the last post and reveille unless you specifically request they don't attend. Also, your grave instantly becomes a Commonwealth War Grave and that is as creepy as hell because a dude rolls up as soon as the headstone goes up and nails a thing to it saying it is an offense to touch it in any way.

Yeah, they send a guy to hammer a thing into your headstone saying don't hammer poo poo into the headstone. It's like the army loving with you one last time...

Spacman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 7, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I'm the KKK muslim

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mods can you give me this as my avatar for my birthday

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Reverand maynard posted:

Mods can you give me this as my avatar for my birthday

You have to provide at least 10 pages of bullets, written in 10pt comic sans using single line breaks, of all your military hardship and how you didn't even cry once.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Two Finger posted:

Hope it's ok if I share a little of my family history.
My great grandfather was at Gallipoli and was wounded three times, once a gunshot wound to the face and once in each arm in three seperate incidents. Guy was either unlucky as hell or crazy stupid heroic.
Would also like to share (I'm sure a lot of you have seen this before but it bears reposting) the NZ Army welcoming home one of our honoured dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

Hakas are easily the best military tradition. It's not even a close race.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I interrupt m,y poo poo posting to bring you news that the latest Hardcore History Blueprint for Armageddon VI is out on RSS and on the main page of Dan Carlin's website but it doesn't have its own page yet.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Please tell me this has one big button with "PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS" printed on it.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

I interrupt m,y poo poo posting to bring you news that the latest Hardcore History Blueprint for Armageddon VI is out on RSS and on the main page of Dan Carlin's website but it doesn't have its own page yet.

30% listened and then my drat headphones are out of battery. Guess I'd be too drunk to remember anything anyhow so it's probably a good thing. Although I could do without some of the images he paints like the guy in a previous episode who was stuck in mud in no mans land for a week and noone could save him.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Caconym posted:

Although I could do without some of the images he paints like the guy in a previous episode who was stuck in mud in no mans land for a week and noone could save him.

This is the main reason why I like this podcast, he doesn't make light of the horrors of war.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Shout outs to Mr. Nice

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

supposedly weighs 48 tons which is light as poo poo for a mbt and theoretical top speed of 50mph

also the turret isnt manned, its all remote control and its suppose to have had more thought put into crew comfort and survivability than previous russkie poo poo

who actually knows anything about its real capabilities and whether russia will be able to afford enough of them :shrug:

Well.....work in progress I guess

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Do US tankers get those little flags in case of emergency?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93ebaJXtXU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

:ussr:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hakas are easily the best military tradition. It's not even a close race.

probably helps that the maori were a warrior race up until, uh, now. it's no exaggeration to say that this is exactly how they used to honour their own dead, although they've stopped the eating of the dead part

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

On Anzac day last year they brought out an old bugle that had been used at Gallipoli and the dude did a practice with us before doing it for the news. I don't know if it's because it's beat up or if the guy didn't have enough breath for the old style instrument but it's a pretty funny sound. We'd had a few by that stage and we were trying not to laugh, it's just so flawed .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XJ2JHP-HE8
The original bugler engraved it with the places he went in the Gallipoli campaign, which is pretty cool.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

On Anzac day last year they brought out an old bugle that had been used at Gallipoli and the dude did a practice with us before doing it for the news. I don't know if it's because it's beat up or if the guy didn't have enough breath for the old style instrument but it's a pretty funny sound. We'd had a few by that stage and we were trying not to laugh, it's just so flawed .

The original bugler engraved it with the places he went in the Gallipoli campaign, which is pretty cool.

In honour of this I bring to you Angry General. (I like to cal him Get Out General)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqpoeVgr8U

I'm sure you have all seen Angry General. Angry General is still angry and still CoA in the ADF.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Chinatown posted:

Looks similar to a gunnery range flag. Usually we'd have a red, yellow and green flag to signify if the weapons were down, loading or ready.

Granted, I was on AAVs, so tanks may have done it differently.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Jaguars! posted:

Gonna take a bit of a guess here and say that's the old WWI style trench bugle. They used to give them to infantry and cavalry and blah blah blah. But the end result is that the shorter and thicker "pipe" leading into the lightly flared yet still very wide bell give it that odd toyish kind of sound. Some people still prefer them as they are tuned to a much lower pitch, like F or G compared to a typical B-flat, makes them much easier to hit all the high notes. The newer bugles are more like valveless trumpets.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Saga posted:

Please tell me this has one big button with "PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS" printed on it.

:vince:

Nowhere near enough love for this...

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 8, 2015

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Two! Two broken tanks! ahahah :drac:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

There was a big flyover the National Mall by WWII-era aircraft for VE Day. It was pretty cool- shittons of tourists but lots of people were clapping after each flight. Got some pics:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Risket posted:

These are the older TOW 1's because the warhead isn't firing from above the tank into the turret, right? Where are they getting these? Egypt?

TOW 2A/ BGM-71E-3Bs, details on them here and here. They've been given to vetted moderate opposition rebels, and also recently captured from those groups by Al Qaeda's Jabhat al-Nusra.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm happy that the US is contributing to some dope rear end tank kill videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

• Locked thread