Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Problem is that Tommen seems fundamentally averse to exerting his will upon others in the face of any resistance at all. He's literally the Anti-Joffrey and it is a miracle that the two didn't annihilate all of Westeros from being in contact with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Aye. Tommen thankfully has more of the compassion you'd expect in a King, but unfortunately very little of the political savvy. Enough to know how to avoid trouble, but not enough to know how to avoid trouble whilst still being able to resolve the issues in front of him. So, not starting another widespread riot by having the Kingsguard tear through the sparrows? Makes sense, but he's stuck with 'well what now?' after that. He could, perhaps, bring a larger amount of the city watch so as to properly contain things, or he could try going incognito. Alternatively, he could put the onus on the sparrows, pointing out the obligations of the High Septon to come before his people, otherwise he could be up to all the same nonsense as his predecessor. It's just that Tommen probably won't think of a less than direct route unless pointed in the right direction first, and I do suspect he's somewhat aware of it. Unfortunately, his best would-be advisors are either dead, or on the other side of the planet, leaving him with those still focusing on the game.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Astro Nut posted:

Aye. Tommen thankfully has more of the compassion you'd expect in a King, but unfortunately very little of the political savvy. Enough to know how to avoid trouble, but not enough to know how to avoid trouble whilst still being able to resolve the issues in front of him. So, not starting another widespread riot by having the Kingsguard tear through the sparrows? Makes sense, but he's stuck with 'well what now?' after that. He could, perhaps, bring a larger amount of the city watch so as to properly contain things, or he could try going incognito. Alternatively, he could put the onus on the sparrows, pointing out the obligations of the High Septon to come before his people, otherwise he could be up to all the same nonsense as his predecessor. It's just that Tommen probably won't think of a less than direct route unless pointed in the right direction first, and I do suspect he's somewhat aware of it. Unfortunately, his best would-be advisors are either dead, or on the other side of the planet, leaving him with those still focusing on the game.

Calling the High Sparrow to come out only works if he comes out. If he doesn't then and there, he loses face, all the while that the crowd will keep calling him the Abomination (in which he loses face as well). For a teen unsure of himself and with little in the way of help from trusted advisors, he can't see any options to take.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tommen doesn't rule anything whatsoever. He doesn't hold court and he is basically just a guy that gets to do what he wants around the palace and bang his hot new wife. Nobody has even hinted to him about the fact that he should be more hands-on and start doing his job. Cersei is basically ruling off the fact that Tommen hasn't bothered to ask what he should be doing now that Tywinn is gone.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

counterfeitsaint posted:

This kinda makes me hope that in medieval Rome there was a whore house where the pope could go and choose between different whores that represent the father, son, and holy spirit. Two costs extra!

Someone post a picture of the high septon with a shirt that says I know two cost extra like the I know guac cost extra Chipotle shirts.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Perky posted:

The "Many Faced God" is Death

Jaqen told Arya "you already know his name" because, of course, Syrio told her way back in season 1 "There's only one god: Death. And there's only one thing we say to him: Not Today." It may be worth remembering at this point that Syrio was from Braavos so he was probably familiar with these guys. Obviously they're a big deal over there since anyone from Braavos will immediately drop what they're doing and take a girl in a boat across the sea to Braavos if/when she shows them the coin. And those three guys who were about to mug (or worse) Arya in that alleyway INSTANTLY turned tail and ran when they got one glimpse of one dude from the temple. Obviously everyone in Braavos knows/believes it is suicidally insane to even think about loving with these guys, which is pretty amusing. And if they are mystical assassins that literally worship death perhaps it's easy to see why.

To them all "Gods" that anyone worships anywhere are really just a facet/aspect of their guy. It's more of a forgiving "ehhh they mean well, they just have the name wrong, their hearts are in the right place, it's cool, whatever, Death doesn't really care about splitting those hairs, everyone comes to him in the end anyway" than the "JOIN US OR DIE OURS IS THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE FAITH YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR EVIL!" tack the Red God religion seems to take.

Also in terms of its function and role in the setting The Seven is pretty much Medieval European Catholicism with the serial number filed off, so it's kinda the same deal as the Trinity, only there's 7 of them instead of 3, but it's a similar idea of them simultaneously being separate beings and yet also all One. Even without the house of black & white being into Death as the one true God they could rightly call Westeros' Seven a/the "Many Faced God" (to say nothing of The Old Gods, who seems to be myriad and nameless and akin to animist faiths where there is a god [or an aspect of a god] in pretty much everything).

Meanwhile the increasingly irrelevant Ironborn have their own special god unto themselves, The Drowned God, who has a rather cthonic-sounding mantra of "What Is Dead Can Never Die" and takes every good Ironborn boy (or girl, in Yara's case) who dies in combat LIKE A WARRIOR :black101: to what is more or less an undersea Valhalla. Though at this point in the show you'd easily be forgiven for not knowing or caring about this one. It's only slightly less irrelevant than the horse god/Stallion That Mounts The World that Khal Drogo believed in and who Dany's baby was sorta supposed to be the incarnation/aspect of.

Who even knows where/if The White Walkers fit in to anybody's theology in this setting. I guess maybe we'll find out by the series finale?

Thanks, this was actually a good clarification on the religious situation in Westeros.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

Tommen thankfully has more of the compassion you'd expect in a King, but unfortunately very little of the political savvy

He should have had the gold cloaks slaughter them sparrows for refusing him access. No one is ever going to respect him now, he will live like a bitch and die like a bitch.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
but i thought you and mother were getting along :downs:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I like that this season is looking to show King's Landing crumbling under Cersei's idiot plans, and those plans alone. There's no one even discussing moving against it. It's all gonna "Tywin is gone, Tommen is young and clueless" Cersei gently caress ups.

Too bad for Tommen, as being violently deposed by religious fanatics is probably not a great way to go.

Too bad for Margaery too. Widowed again.

Hexel posted:

He should have had the gold cloaks slaughter them sparrows for refusing him access. No one is ever going to respect him now, he will live like a bitch and die like a bitch.

Killing a religious leader of the predominant religion of the country is seldom a great move. Especially when your traitor uncle has been persecuting them, and at least some of your support likely comes from being seen as a defender of that faith.

Plus Tommen is like, a nice kid who doesn't wanna hurt people. He gonna die :(

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I hope it aint just me but ive been enjoying reading all this discussion these past few pages

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Bobo the Red posted:

I like that this season is looking to show King's Landing crumbling under Cersei's idiot plans, and those plans alone. There's no one even discussing moving against it. It's all gonna "Tywin is gone, Tommen is young and clueless" Cersei gently caress ups.

Too bad for Tommen, as being violently deposed by religious fanatics is probably not a great way to go.

Too bad for Margaery too. Widowed again.

Killing a religious leader of the predominant religion of the country is seldom a great move. Especially when your traitor uncle has been persecuting them, and at least some of your support likely comes from being seen as a defender of that faith.

Plus Tommen is like, a nice kid who doesn't wanna hurt people. He gonna die :(

It's kind of funny how Cercei never thought she had to prepare anyone but Joffrey for ruling so she really overdid the "You must appear strong" lesson for Joff while completely neglecting that part for Tommen.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Why did Tommen marry Margery anyways? Is it normal in Westeros for kings to marry their dead brothers wife immediately after their death? Joffery was an unmarried king for a long time wasn't he, so obviously it's not a requirement for ruling.

I mean, she's hot so I get it from that angle, but beyond that I'm lost.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

The Duggler posted:

Why did Tommen marry Margery anyways? Is it normal in Westeros for kings to marry their dead brothers wife immediately after their death? Joffery was an unmarried king for a long time wasn't he, so obviously it's not a requirement for ruling.

The Lannisters and the Crown both owe the Tyrells a lot for their support from Blackwater on. They've been supplying soldiers and food to the capital.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Duggler posted:

The only thing keeping the country together is the alliance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells and alliances are usually formalized through marriage. It's a political marriage between the King and the daughter of the lord of the Reach and the fact that it's not the same King as it was a few months ago doesn't really matter.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

The Duggler posted:

Marriage is a means of securing alliance, and the Baratheons (Lannisters) need the Tyrells. It's not uncommon for a younger brother to step up to the plate if his older brother is suddenly killed. Ned married Catelyn, who was initially betrothed to his older brother before he was killed. In real history, Henry VIII was married to Catherine of Aragon after his older brother Arthur died in order to maintain the Anglo-Spanish alliance.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 7, 2015

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

The Duggler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBXuSoeS2Q0

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Skeesix posted:

It's kind of funny how Cercei never thought she had to prepare anyone but Joffrey for ruling so she really overdid the "You must appear strong" lesson for Joff while completely neglecting that part for Tommen.

This is entirely appropriate, given how often that kind of thing happened in real life. Despite it being common practice to have spare heirs, it wasn't always as common for families to actually have those heirs prepared.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

This is entirely appropriate, given how often that kind of thing happened in real life. Despite it being common practice to have spare heirs, it wasn't always as common for families to actually have those heirs prepared.

It was not actually always a good idea to prepare them, either. You teach the second son that he needs to be strong, that he needs to be powerful and assert himself as a ruler, and then his older brother dies and he becomes king, he'll be a strong king. But if his older brother doesn't die, well, he'll start getting ideas. That's how civil wars happen.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Slashrat posted:

Problem is that Tommen seems fundamentally averse to exerting his will upon others in the face of any resistance at all. He's literally the Anti-Joffrey and it is a miracle that the two didn't annihilate all of Westeros from being in contact with each other.

You might be averse to conflict, too, if your brother was Joffrey. He's probably a worse older brother than Gregor Clegane.

Tommen already said Joffrey once threatened to skin Ser Pounce, and you just *know* that wasn't the extent of it. I imagine it was hell growing up around a violently entitled child-psychopath. Even as King, Joffrey responded to any perceived slight with sadistic abuse, so picture what a ~10 year old Prince Joffrey would do to his kid brother with no audience or oversight.

I assume passivity and confrontation-avoidance were Tommen's best defenses, growing up. It should come as no surprise that, as King, his default response is to try and de-escalate the situation before it gets worse.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

It was not actually always a good idea to prepare them, either. You teach the second son that he needs to be strong, that he needs to be powerful and assert himself as a ruler, and then his older brother dies and he becomes king, he'll be a strong king. But if his older brother doesn't die, well, he'll start getting ideas. That's how civil wars happen.

Yep. Especially if the elder brother is incompetent or, otherwise seen as weak, and thus the younger sibling gets 'invited' by the nobility to take charge instead. There's a reason ambition is both so useful and potentially dangerous in CK2.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Interesting contrast between the humble, friendly High Sparrow and the dead-eyed crazies that follow him.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dr Christmas posted:

Interesting contrast between the humble, friendly High Sparrow and the dead-eyed crazies that follow him.

I guarantee he will show himself the most crazy of all at some point

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Why does Cercei want to give weapons to the people who don't like weird poo poo like incest again?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dr Christmas posted:

His friendliness and humility read really put on to me. He's feels like a Tywin surrogate, intelligent and ruthless, but what Cersei didn't quite get is that Tywin put up with her poo poo because his motivation was preserving the family, and the High Sparrow don't give a gently caress about that. The crazies are quite clearly doing what he told them to do. Whether his goals are truly religious, or if they are just a different sort of personal ambition than most of the septons remains to be seen.

monster on a stick posted:

Why does Cercei want to give weapons to the people who don't like weird poo poo like incest again?

It's legit just that she doesn't think things through. She was mad at Margaery, Margaery has a gay brother, get some gay bashers on him. Never mind that her sin is far greater, and will threaten both herself and her children. She also wants power, since she has less as dowager queen than as the queen mother when there was no queen queen, and she assumes she's cunning enough to control the Sparrows (and Margaery would have no sway with them). It's also why she's once again trying to hand pick the Small Council, which will probably ALSO gently caress things up

She seems to think the part of the prophecy about being replaced by one more beautiful is the cause of the rest of it (her kids dying), when her obsession with that part is what's helping the rest of it fall into place. If Cersei had been an ally to Margaery, Olenna would have had less motivation to help kill Joffrey, and this move reads like 'RIP Tommen'

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 8, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

It's legit just that she doesn't think things through. She was mad at Margaery, Margaery has a gay brother, get some gay bashers on him. Never mind that her sin is far greater, and will threaten both herself and her children. She also wants power, since she has less as dowager queen than as the queen mother when there was no queen queen, and she assumes she's cunning enough to control the Sparrows (and Margaery would have no sway with them). It's also why she's once again trying to hand pick the Small Council, which will probably ALSO gently caress things up

She seems to think the part of the prophecy about being replaced by one more beautiful is the cause of the rest of it (her kids dying), when her obsession with that part is what's helping the rest of it fall into place. If Cersei had been an ally to Margaery, Olenna would have had less motivation to help kill Joffrey, and this move reads like 'RIP Tommen'

Littlefinger should have hired Brienne to protect Cirsei, that would have solved a lot of problems.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Littlefinger should have hired Brienne to protect Cirsei, that would have solved a lot of problems.

Cersei takes a leaf out of Robert's book, makes Brienne stand guard outside her chambers while she screws Jaime and bellows,"YOU SMELL LIKE RASPBERRY JAM! :haw:" at the top of her lungs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Cersei takes a leaf out of Robert's book, makes Brienne stand guard outside her chambers while she screws Jaime and bellows,"YOU SMELL LIKE RASPBERRY JAM! :haw:" at the top of her lungs.

I thought everything smelled of lemon cakes?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Dr Christmas posted:

At the end of the day Cersei gave a Bond villain an army.

It cannot end well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Because she's mad at the Tyrells and sees it as a way she can get back at them and exert some influence in the capitol.

Unfortunately she hasn't really put enough thought into it to realize that creating an army of radical religious nuts over which you have very little control and getting them to torture a relative of your only real remaining ally entirely because you don't like them could potentially backfire.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Also, Cersei assumes that the high sparrow is a naive religious pacifist who can command the fanatics (and will stop them from harming her/her children out of gratitude for naming him High Septon).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

davey4283 posted:

At the end of the day Cersei gave a Bond villain an army.

It cannot end well.

Ahem. :colbert:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Oh man I can't wait for Margaery to convince Tommen to make the Queen of Thorns Hand of the King :haw:

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Ha! Touche

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

meatbag posted:

Oh man I can't wait for Margaery to convince Tommen to make the Queen of Thorns Hand of the King :haw:

Queen of Thorns
Hand of the King
:stare:

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
With all the creative spellings of Cersei I've seen in this thread I am really surprised I still haven't seen a Circe yet.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Tommen named his goldfish Ser Sea

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Tommen named his goldfish Ser Sea

No, it was Sir Say, because he kept making bubbles that looked like speech.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pfft, they probably just happened to "conquer" the Riverlands at exactly the time the locals were away facing off against the Targaryans, and no one had the chance to kick them back out before the Targaryans took over everything, so for once they managed an actual conquest if only through the efforts of other people.

nope, they took the riverlands 3 generations before the targaryens landed, and they built harrenhal

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Can someone explain how Cersei "gave" the High Sparrow an army? All of those dudes running around being dicks seem like legit sparrows. Does this just mean she provided existing sparrows with weapons or did she make dudes join the cult as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Can someone explain how Cersei "gave" the High Sparrow an army? All of those dudes running around being dicks seem like legit sparrows. Does this just mean she provided existing sparrows with weapons or did she make dudes join the cult as well?

I think the implication was "in the past, the Seven had their own army, so if you guys want to do that again, go for it." I don't think she actually gave them any men.

• Locked thread