Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are the Moebius series self-contained stories or should I read the first two before I crack open The Airtight Garage?

The answer is no.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So I finished the Fraction / Brubacker run on Immortal Iron Fist. How does the follow-up stuff compare?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So I finished the Fraction / Brubacker run on Immortal Iron Fist. How does the follow-up stuff compare?

The most recent Iron Fist series didn't seem to pay much attention to it, but it has really pretty art. I only read the first 2 issues though. The Fraction stuff with the other Immortal Weapons was great, and Iron Fist is in Fraction's Defenders, which I love, but he's not a major character.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like 5 Ronin, not so much cuz of the Marvel characters but for the stories, anything out there similiae to that?

Also Hellboy too, I guess I just like any historical based comics. Any good reccs besides 1602?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Read Usagi Yojimbo.

I'd also recommend "365 Samurai and a Few Bowls of Rice" and "Infinite Kung-Fu", but get Usagi Yojimbo first.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I had seen that mentioned elsewhere; start with issue 1?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Honestly, I've only read this hardcover set that I borrowed from a friend.
Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition (Usagi Yojimbo) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998870/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Lo.pvb0SVS1T8

A lot of the individual issues can stand alone, but it builds to an epic tale by the end. After that, I'm not sure. Starting with #1 and just going from there seems like a safe bet, but almost anything should be enjoyable as long as it's not in the middle of an arc.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks dude.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
If the Darkhorse digital sale is still going you can get some Usagi there; it's awesome.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hellboy and historical fiction fans (specifically World War I era) need to check out Baltimore. Its story arcs are relatively short, usually build off what came before (or are entertaining one-shots), and have satisfying resolutions IMO.

It may help to imagine the main character is Hellboy under a humanizing spell.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Space Fish posted:

Hellboy and historical fiction fans (specifically World War I era) need to check out Baltimore. Its story arcs are relatively short, usually build off what came before (or are entertaining one-shots), and have satisfying resolutions IMO.

It may help to imagine the main character is Hellboy under a humanizing spell.

I can't tell if you are talking about a comic or the story in Baltimore right now imho.

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~
So I'm currently working my way through select volumes of Hellblazer, but I'm already wondering about what I'm going to follow it up with.

I typically like to stick to trades that are only one or two volumes so that I don't have to get invested in long-running series, but I generally enjoyed working through Y: The Last Man and the aforementioned adventures of John Constantine. I tend to avoid cape books, although I've occasionally made exceptions (e.g., Marvels). Other favorites in my collection include We3, Daytripper, and Deep Sleeper. Well-written female characters who are drawn and act like actual people is a definite plus.

I'm thinking about picking up Infinite Vacation, but I've never really seen anyone mention much about it. Same for the unrelated Infinite Horizon. Curious to hear thoughts about either.

I've also been looking at Death: The High Cost of Living and Lucifer, but I never read Sandman. Would I still be able to get into those without the additional backstory?

Greg Rucka's Lazarus sounded interesting, but I've heard mixed reviews...

I keep seeing Rat Queens pop up here and there, so I'll probably go for that at some point when they release larger collections.

Any other recommendations along these lines are appreciated.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Make Lucifer you're first. You don't really need to read Sandman to get it, but you should anyways. It is my opinion that Lucifer is actually better than Sandman, and Sandman is pretty drat good.

If you do go for Infinite Vacation, do it last. It starts strong but I dropped it after a couple issues because it turned into a bunch of try-hard "shocking" bullshit.

Lazarus is great, as a rule, you can't really go wrong with Rucka. If at all possible, get the single issues because, I think, the world building text bits at the end of the issues may not be reprinted in the trades, I'm not sure about that though. It's a novel take on the post apoc genre where resource scarcity caused a world war and now the world is divided up into factions led by specific families, each with their own expertise. The thing with Rucka though, even though he's writing about potentially world changing plots, he keeps things grounded and character focused. The art is pretty great, too.

Rat Queens is just hillarious and kind of filthy, read it if you like fun, especially if you're a D&D nerd.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jacquismo posted:

I've also been looking at Death: The High Cost of Living and Lucifer, but I never read Sandman. Would I still be able to get into those without the additional backstory?

You don't need to read Sandman first to enjoy Lucifer, they aren't really connected much, but I would recommend reading the 4th Sandman trade, Season of Mists, since it sets up the status quo for Lucifer, and it's probably my favorite Sandman story. It works fie as a standalone, so don't feel you have to read the first 3 Sandman trades first.

You probably would like Sandman, so I recommend also giving that one a chance, but it's not really necessary to read it before the Death miniseries. Fair warning, when Neil Gaiman started writing it, Vertigo comics didn't exist, so it technically is part of the greater DC universe at the beginning. There's no crossovers or anything, but I think Batman pops up for a panel or two, it very quickly ignores anything tied into the rest of DC though.

If you like Rucka, and well written female characters, you might check out his series Queen and Country, it's about British Intelligence, and the main character is a pretty kick-rear end lady spy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just got marvel unlimited and was recommended the infinity event from a couple of years ago. I don't really read comics so is this a good one to read? Any other recommendations for good marvel stuff, never read civil war so I was interested in that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just got marvel unlimited and was recommended the infinity event from a couple of years ago. I don't really read comics so is this a good one to read? Any other recommendations for good marvel stuff, never read civil war so I was interested in that.

Infinity ruled. Best Marvel event in years. Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers lead up to it, and continuing on, we're now at Secret Wars. It's all one big thing.

Avengers http://marvel.com/comics/series/16452/avengers_2012_-_present
New Avengers http://marvel.com/comics/series/16451/new_avengers_2013_-_present

Here's the official reading order through Infinity.

After that, read as you like till there's a banner on the covers counting down months (to Secret Wars.) They meet up again there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 4, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

Infinity ruled. Best event in years. Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers lead up to it, and continuing on, we're now at Secret Wars. It's all one big thing.

Avengers http://marvel.com/comics/series/16452/avengers_2012_-_present
New Avengers http://marvel.com/comics/series/16451/new_avengers_2013_-_present

Here's the official reading order through Infinity.

After that, read as you like till there's a banner on the covers counting down months (to Secret Wars.) They meet up again there.

I found this to be useful:

Senor Candle posted:

Infinity is just a part of Avengers/New Avengers. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kXN9H4EYsw8c_QeDdSdemJioWeAqXAnznwTtPGUoBmE/edit#gid=0 Here is a reading order courtesy of redbackground

And the Hickman Avengers have been the best large-scale cosmic-type event since the Abnett/Lanning Annihilation et cetera.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 4, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Read it all, well worth it. There's also a sale on Avengers and New Avengers today on Comixology.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you're interested in the Marvel films, you could check out Ed Brubaker's Captain America run - it starts with Captain America Vol. 5 (might be labelled as the 2005 series) #1. It introduces Winter Soldier. You can also try Iron Man by Warren Ellis - Iron Man Vol. 4 (2005 series also) #1-6, or by Matt Fraction - Invincible Iron Man (2008 series) #1 onwards.

Infinity is good but I'm not sure how well it would read on its own, since it's very much tied to Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers, which is just reaching its conclusion now with Secret Wars, starting this week.

Other stuff you can try:
  • Ms. Marvel (2013 series)
  • Daredevil - If you've watched the Netflix series, you could read Brian Michael Bendis' run, Vol. 2 #25, or some of Frank Miller's stuff like Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, or his run on the main book which starts with Vol. 1 #168, although he was artist before this. Mark Waid is coming to the end of a great run which he started back in 2011.

Other than that, I suppose just look around. I don't have Unlimited, but I understand that there's a ton of stuff up there at this point. New books go up around 6 months after their publication.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a tip, and it's a huge pain in the rear end up front but it will help you when reading events or multiple books concurrently: use the library function. So for Infinity you take that list and go add all the relevant books from the three different series, and then they are ordered chronologically in your library, so you can read them in publishing order and not get ahead in the story. It's not such a big deal for Infinity but one day you're going to want to read the huge cosmic Annihilation events and then you'll be glad you did.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Hey everyone, what are some good Superman Graphic Novels out there? I've really enjoyed Superman books like All Star Superman and Super Man: Secret Identity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is it okay if they're collections from runs? Cause I really liked Grant Morrison (All-Star Soup)'s Action Comics, which was about the start of his New 52 career in jeans and a shirt, and Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder have been REALLY awesome on Action Comics recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Action-Comics-Vol-Steel/dp/1401235476 Morrison
http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Action-Comics-Vol-Beneath/dp/1401249477 Pak

Geoff Johns and JRjr's arc on Superman will be worth getting when it's collected. Really liked that.

e: In a more limited series, there's Superman For All Seasons.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 6, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
Red Son
I'd argue for Kingdom Come

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey everyone, what are some good Superman Graphic Novels out there? I've really enjoyed Superman books like All Star Superman and Super Man: Secret Identity.

Birthright
It's a Bird.. (this one is about a comic author being asked to write a Superman comic, but it's really, really good)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
How is the 2005 run of Young Avengers? I really enjoyed Gillen's recent-ish run and I'm interested in finding out what was going on with those characters beforehand, especially Kate Bishop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first dozen or so issues are good, but very different from the Gillen/McKelvie series. Very similar to Teen Titans as written by Geoff Johns, which should come as no surprise as he and Heinberg were sharing a studio at the time. Don't bother with Childrens' Crusade. Because it's pants.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why do people hate CC so much? is it because they let Wanda off the hook?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I seem to remember long delays between issues; it was very frustrating trying to read it as it was being published.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

I seem to remember long delays between issues; it was very frustrating trying to read it as it was being published.

It is also a horrible comic book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Pretty much everybody is written horribly out of character, mostly. My favorite example is when Cyclops tries to get Scarlet Witch to come with the X-Men to face vague mutant justice (rather than a court or anything): the Young Avengers try to stop him and then Cyclops yells "I'LL BURN THE WITCH WHERE SHE STANDS"

It also made Wiccan one of my hands down least favorite comic characters ever. He's an out gay teen with magical superpowers whose parents love and accept that, yet the ungrateful little rear end in a top hat decides "my powers are kinda like Scarlet Witch's oh man maybe she's my real mommy" based on no reason so he goes and throws his life into this huge web of danger on a hunch, and the worst thing is he's right, and the story treats it like "isn't it sweet that he found his real mom" despite the fact that his real literal birth mother who has been nothing but loving to him is still living in NYC.

VVV: okay, based on very little reason

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 7, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

"my powers are kinda like Scarlet Witch's oh man maybe she's my real mommy" based on no reason and the worst thing is he's right.

I am pretty sure that was stated in the original series when they met Speed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

Pretty much everybody is written horribly out of character, mostly. My favorite example is when Cyclops tries to get Scarlet Witch to come with the X-Men to face vague mutant justice (rather than a court or anything): the Young Avengers try to stop him and then Cyclops yells "I'LL BURN THE WITCH WHERE SHE STANDS"

My memory is coming back and I agree with everybody who says that it was a bad series. Cyclops's eyebeams are kinetic, not fiery. :spergin:

(Also, Cyclops cannot use his eyebeams for welding, so gently caress the 9/11 comic book.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That was the series were they revealed that Clint did the nasty with a doombot?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

prefect posted:

My memory is coming back and I agree with everybody who says that it was a bad series. Cyclops's eyebeams are kinetic, not fiery. :spergin:

(Also, Cyclops cannot use his eyebeams for welding, so gently caress the 9/11 comic book.)

Eyebeams can't melt steel beams.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

prefect posted:

Cyclops cannot use his eyebeams for welding

Pump enough kinetic energy into something and it will melt. Welding is just melting metal.

:flashfact:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

Pump enough kinetic energy into something and it will melt. Welding is just melting metal.

:flashfact:

This should have been a bit messier.

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema
I'm working on a project and need to read the Spidey Clone saga but all of the reading lists I've found online have entirely too much backmatter like old Green Goblin appearances and the older Jackal stuff that isn't relevant until things are revealed later in the storyline. I'd like to start fresh without all of the older stuff. Does anyone know what would be a good starting point? I'm thinking I might just pick up whenever Ben Reilly actually shows up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKrang posted:

I'm working on a project and need to read the Spidey Clone saga but all of the reading lists I've found online have entirely too much backmatter like old Green Goblin appearances and the older Jackal stuff that isn't relevant until things are revealed later in the storyline. I'd like to start fresh without all of the older stuff. Does anyone know what would be a good starting point? I'm thinking I might just pick up whenever Ben Reilly actually shows up.
I know Marvel has put out The Complete Clone Saga in a series of trade paperbacks. I would imagine you can just see where Trade #1 begins and go from there. Or buy the 5 trades.

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=27469

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 7, 2015

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema

redbackground posted:

I know Marvel has put out The Complete Clone Saga in a series of trade paperbacks. I would imagine you can just see where Trade #1 begins and go from there. Or buy the 5 trades.

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=27469

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can find the trades at a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first dozen or so issues are good, but very different from the Gillen/McKelvie series. Very similar to Teen Titans as written by Geoff Johns, which should come as no surprise as he and Heinberg were sharing a studio at the time. Don't bother with Childrens' Crusade. Because it's pants.

Would you say it caused you to have a mare?