Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

GregNorc posted:

I was thinking I would take a train for the Vienna -> Berlin leg, but my concern is they'll wake me up to check my passport. If so I'd rather lose a day, and maybe tweak my itinerary (which I've posted above and would welcome feedback on)
Passport is not so likely there, but there'll be ticket checks anyway.

GregNorc posted:

Edit: Also, why does Deutchebahn randomly say "Tariff abroad" and refuse to display a fare? I'm not even booking anything right now, just trying to budget out how much my costs will be to decide if I'm spending too long
It only knows the fares for trains in Germany and those to/from it. For other trips you'll have to check the national railway website of that country for the fare.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

GregNorc posted:

So if I left my ticket on the counter and went to sleep, would they just look at it? Or do we do prison rules and they gotta see some skin? I'm a little surprised they wouldn't have it set up somehow so if you're on a "sleeper" train you can't, you know... sleep.

It probably depends a lot on timing and where the border is. If you go from anywhere in Germany to Copenhagen, for example, the border check usually happens at some point early-ish in the morning, but late enough as to not really be a bother. On the other hand, they are up, so why aren't you, you lazy bum? :downsgun:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress knows why general advice sites said I should get to the train station 40 minutes ahead of time in Madrid. Now I have a 38 minute wait in the departure area. Guess I'll gently caress around on my ancient unlocked phone with its glacial 3G.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
When I traveled from Beelin to Amsterdam there was no check except the initial ticket check to be let into the cabin, both are in the Schegen zone though.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone got a clue about Croatian ferries? I'm trying to get from split to hvar, or maybe even vis on May 12th after I fly in at 6:30pm.

The only site I could find had timetables that it specifically said were for low season, (which would be now) and during high season, (June to sept I think) they'll have more running... And then all the links for timetables/schedules specifically say that they're for high season only, so I don't know if all of those times are actually going to have ferries running then or not.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

nrr posted:

Anyone got a clue about Croatian ferries? I'm trying to get from split to hvar, or maybe even vis on May 12th after I fly in at 6:30pm.

The only site I could find had timetables that it specifically said were for low season, (which would be now) and during high season, (June to sept I think) they'll have more running... And then all the links for timetables/schedules specifically say that they're for high season only, so I don't know if all of those times are actually going to have ferries running then or not.

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/schedule/LineSearchResults/Index/2331792/2331794/12052015

You have a ferry from Split to Stari Grad (Hvar) at 8:30 pm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

asur posted:

When I traveled from Beelin to Amsterdam there was no check except the initial ticket check to be let into the cabin, both are in the Schegen zone though.

I had to put my backpack through an X-ray machine, and it took all of 30 seconds to complete. Not really a big deal, but at the same time, you have to remember there was a big loving deadly terrorist attack at the very station I was travelling from.

On arrival in Sevilla, I didn't see any X-ray machines, so it may only be a thing at Puerta de Atocha, even.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

On arrival in Sevilla, I didn't see any X-ray machines, so it may only be a thing at Puerta de Atocha, even.

I think Atocha is the only train station I've been to in Europe where I had to x-ray my baggage / go through security to get to the terminal for a domestic route. Even on international routes I don't recall ever having to scan baggage, though I've seen scanners sometimes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

gently caress knows why general advice sites said I should get to the train station 40 minutes ahead of time in Madrid. Now I have a 38 minute wait in the departure area. Guess I'll gently caress around on my ancient unlocked phone with its glacial 3G.

Because travel advice websites are almost universally written by people like my mom who panic about things like that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Because travel advice websites are almost universally written by people like my mom who panic about things like that.

I'm usually nervous-ish about poo poo like that too, but by the time I factored in the possibility of the Metro running slow, and possibly being confused by the station (as it turns out, literally impossible unless you're a retard), I was there like an hour ahead of time. I wish when people gave advice, they'd allow you to build your own "security time" into it. It's like the airlines that always tell you they'll start boarding a half hour before they actually loving start boarding, so you'd better be there!

I always tell myself they're lying, but I always end up following their lovely recommendations and end up spending half my loving life waiting to board some manner of transport.

On the plus side, the AVE was very nice, would take again! It even arrived like 15 minutes early. I'm sure we could've done even better if we didn't have the stop in Cordoba, where we obviously had to wait for the appointed departure time.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

HookShot posted:

And they want people to buy poo poo in the station while they wait

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

I'm usually nervous-ish about poo poo like that too, but by the time I factored in the possibility of the Metro running slow, and possibly being confused by the station (as it turns out, literally impossible unless you're a retard), I was there like an hour ahead of time. I wish when people gave advice, they'd allow you to build your own "security time" into it. It's like the airlines that always tell you they'll start boarding a half hour before they actually loving start boarding, so you'd better be there!

I always tell myself they're lying, but I always end up following their lovely recommendations and end up spending half my loving life waiting to board some manner of transport.

On the plus side, the AVE was very nice, would take again! It even arrived like 15 minutes early. I'm sure we could've done even better if we didn't have the stop in Cordoba, where we obviously had to wait for the appointed departure time.

Every time I am at the airport way too goddamn early I promise myself to never do that again. Then the next flight comes up and I get all nervous and end up there way too early again. I'm getting better, but I could still improve.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

PT6A posted:

DNova posted:

Every time I am at the airport way too goddamn early I promise myself to never do that again. Then the next flight comes up and I get all nervous and end up there way too early again. I'm getting better, but I could still improve.

I wish I were like you. I'm the guy that's always nervously sweating in the line for the x-ray and later sprinting all the way to Gate D7661 praying they won't close boarding.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
May have to go with the cop on this one.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

GregNorc posted:

To be clear: I am only in Europe about two weeks.

I have to go to Amsterdam for work, so the plan is to burn some vacation days: start in Zurich, then go to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Berlin, and Hamburg, finally finishing up in Amsterdam.

I was thinking I would take a train for the Vienna -> Berlin leg, but my concern is they'll wake me up to check my passport. If so I'd rather lose a day, and maybe tweak my itinerary (which I've posted above and would welcome feedback on)

I've already been to Prague BTW, hence skipping it and making a beeline for Berlin (which I really enjoyed, and would like to see again without the pressure to do all the tourist stuff and just explore a bit)

Edit: Also, why does Deutchebahn randomly say "Tariff abroad" and refuse to display a fare? I'm not even booking anything right now, just trying to budget out how much my costs will be to decide if I'm spending too long

Edit2: Apparently my screenshot cut off 2 days in zurich before going to Lichtenstein... and you can't delete the image once posted if you "attach". Odd.

Lichtenstein is a day trip from Zurich unless you really have something you want to see there, (I can't think what) I wouldn't bother staying. There really isn't very much to do.

If you book a train from Zurich to Munich check the 1st class tickets, they often are only 20€ more expensive than the 2nd class ones - the trip is 4 hours and the scenery is great.

If you are on a nighttrain and have a cabin you can often give your ticket/passport to the attendant and forget about being woken up.

PlantHead fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 6, 2015

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Cheers. The one I found had that particular ferry but I didn't realize until later on that it had some fine print that said it only ran august to December. Thanks for the link.

Anyone got some thoughts on the coolest way to get from Monaco to Cognac? I might be staying with a friend in Monaco for the Grand Prix on the 23rd/24th, but flights out the next day are like 5 times the regular price. I fly out of London on the 29th, but I was invited to stay at a chalet in cognac. I thought I wouldn't be able to fit it in, but with having to wait a few days for prices to settle down, I figured I might check out if it's be possible to squeeze it in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sevilla is cool and good, and I kind of wish I was staying here longer. It was something of a last-minute addition to the trip as it was, so whatever, but I'm going to have to come back.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone have any tips for what to do in The Hague to kill a day? Arriving on the 17th of july from the ferry and will be hooking up with the rest of my group in Amsterdam on the 18th so I figure I'd take the train from the port to Hague, find a hostel(reccomendations?) and drop my bag off and go sight seeing, spend the night, and then take the train to Amsterdam in the AM.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Anyone have any tips for what to do in The Hague to kill a day? Arriving on the 17th of july from the ferry and will be hooking up with the rest of my group in Amsterdam on the 18th so I figure I'd take the train from the port to Hague, find a hostel(reccomendations?) and drop my bag off and go sight seeing, spend the night, and then take the train to Amsterdam in the AM.

I went to the MC Escher museum. Couldn't find much else.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The Escher museum is indeed cool. On that day it might also be nice to take the tram to the Scheveningen beach, basically the most well-known beach / beach town of the Netherlands though it isn't that impressive, just conveniently located. You can also see if you can spot your favourite war criminal at the international court of justice, look admiringly at the royal palace of the city. There's also the Binnenhof, the center of Dutch government with next to it the Mauritshuis, a good museum about Golden Age Dutch painting. An interesting place to spend half a day might be Madurodam, a pretty impressive miniature park depicting scenes and well-known buildings from throughout the country, with model infrastructure and all. It's pretty close to Scheveningen.
Or you can rent a bike and head into the dunes, or the Haagse Bos (the forest).

Entropist fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 6, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jesus... when you're drinking at the last bar that's open in a given area, you run into some really interesting people. I have quite enjoyed Sevilla.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

PT6A posted:

Jesus... when you're drinking at the last bar that's open in a given area, you run into some really interesting people. I have quite enjoyed Sevilla.

pix or it didn't happen

Also, I'd venture to say that rule can and will apply any and everywhere ever.

One of the biggest bits of advice I left out about Spain: if you're between the ages of 15 and about 60 (seriously) you should really stay up all night at the bars/discos/street fiestas in Spain at least once on any given trip. Trips over a month, maybe 2 or 3 times, if not more, depending upon your style. It's a place that people of all ages can and will hang out all god drat night long until the sun comes up. And it's great for that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Past Me was a silly person who booked a non-flexible train ticket at 10:45AM, but at least he sprung for the "included breakfast" option.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
My airport caught on fire so now my plane to Berlin is rescheduled 3 hours later but they're not letting anybody in until 2 so I have to wait at home

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Although it did end about as well as you could expect any sentence to when it starts with "my [thing] caught fire"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK so nobody knows anything about the Greek islands. What about Scotland, what do you not miss in Scotland? Looking at a 5/6 day roadtrip beginning in Inverness and ending in Edinburgh.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I've never been to Scotland but I always heard you should expect a lot of rain and even more mosquitoes. Apart from that it appears to be a great country with fantastic people. :v:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

freebooter posted:

OK so nobody knows anything about the Greek islands. What about Scotland, what do you not miss in Scotland? Looking at a 5/6 day roadtrip beginning in Inverness and ending in Edinburgh.

Isle of Skye, Dinosaur footprints, driving on a single-lane winding road with no speed limit* through the highlands, Dunnett Head, Falkirk Wheel (I might be alone on this), etc. There's a lot to see if you have 5-6 days in a car. The driving itself is going to be part of the experience if you get into the country. I had a blast when I did it.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Although it did end about as well as you could expect any sentence to when it starts with "my [thing] caught fire"

Spoke too soon, cancelled and out 54 euros and a bunch of hours and there's no way I can get to Berlin now. Hooray

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Contact the airline, you should be able to get a refund or compensation.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

freebooter posted:

I had a lot of greek holidays as a child but the truth is most of the islands blur in to one. Plus they have a habit of changing (read: extra sprawl).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/greece/11387167/The-19-best-Greek-islands.html

As for Scotland, any particular type of thing your after? Castles, nice vistas, wildlife, fake monsters, whisky?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Everyone sort of warned me about La Latina (Madrid) on a Friday or Saturday night, but it really has to be experienced to be believed. gently caress me, that was the craziest place I think I've ever been in my life.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

Regarding my travel plans a couple of pages ago, how should we go about visiting the Rijksmuseum / Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam in late June? I imagine the queues will be massive, and I really hate huge crowds. (I remember visiting Versailles a couple of years ago and the amount of people inside the palace was absolutely insane. You could not move freely in the first few rooms at all. The Hall of Mirrors made it at least tolerable. I can't imagine what would happen if there ever was a fire.)

Also, if we were to get Amsterdam Museum Passes, what museums would you recommend? We looked at the list (http://www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/) and at least the Museum Van Loon looked kind of interesting, but it's always hard to tell from descriptions. On the other hand, are there museums not on the list that we definitely should visit (besides the Kattenkabinet, obviously)? We like historical and quirky stuff.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Paper Clip Death posted:

Regarding my travel plans a couple of pages ago, how should we go about visiting the Rijksmuseum / Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam in late June? I imagine the queues will be massive, and I really hate huge crowds. (I remember visiting Versailles a couple of years ago and the amount of people inside the palace was absolutely insane. You could not move freely in the first few rooms at all. The Hall of Mirrors made it at least tolerable. I can't imagine what would happen if there ever was a fire.)

Also, if we were to get Amsterdam Museum Passes, what museums would you recommend? We looked at the list (http://www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/) and at least the Museum Van Loon looked kind of interesting, but it's always hard to tell from descriptions. On the other hand, are there museums not on the list that we definitely should visit (besides the Kattenkabinet, obviously)? We like historical and quirky stuff.

I'm still working my way though the list but my favourites so far have been The Portrait Gallery of the Golden Age at the Hermitage Amsterdam (wasn't as impressed with Alexander, Napoleon and Josephine), and the Cor Jaring half of Huis Marseille (though the other half wasn't bad either).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

DNova posted:

Isle of Skye, Dinosaur footprints, driving on a single-lane winding road with no speed limit* through the highlands, Dunnett Head, Falkirk Wheel (I might be alone on this), etc. There's a lot to see if you have 5-6 days in a car. The driving itself is going to be part of the experience if you get into the country. I had a blast when I did it.

Nice, thanks.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I had a lot of greek holidays as a child but the truth is most of the islands blur in to one. Plus they have a habit of changing (read: extra sprawl).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/greece/11387167/The-19-best-Greek-islands.html

As for Scotland, any particular type of thing your after? Castles, nice vistas, wildlife, fake monsters, whisky?

All of them, really. I'm just not used to these short-term holidays - I'm still mentally a backpacker - so I always fret that I'm going to miss something really awesome and not find out about it until later.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Paper Clip Death posted:

Not just an Amsterdam museum pass, it's for the whole country :)
The queuing is not quite as bad with the pass, since you won't need to buy a ticket. I was in those places on the Easter weekend which is also infamous for its crowds, and it wasn't too terrible once inside. In case of the Rijksmuseum we could get right in without queuing with the pass, though it was later in the afternoon. Crowded, but not like you couldn't move freely. To avoid the crowds, it will help to go early.

Some commercial 'museums' are not on the list, like the Bols cocktail museum, but I don't know if that's much of a loss, I've never been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004