Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you give a poo poo about 1080p vs. 720p on a 5.5" (at most) screen? You're lying if you say you can tell a difference.

It's more about how good it feels to be able to say you're watching 1080p. Wasted pixels on a retina screen be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you give a poo poo about 1080p vs. 720p on a 5.5" (at most) screen? You're lying if you say you can tell a difference.

Some people have iPads :)

Protube doesn't have preroll ads, has background audio and starts up showing your subscriptions' videos.

And it looks like Youtube's really cranking up the 15-second ads now too. Welp.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

And it looks like Youtube's really cranking up the 15-second ads now too. Welp.

Yeah they've been really ramping up the last 5 months or so. Not just mobile, but all devices that can view youtube.

(so they can sell you an ad-free subscription that they're also developing)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Although I definitely wouldn't give a poo poo about 1080p vs 720p on my iPhone using cellular, I tried watching a video on a 4G connection that looked like it was playing in 144p or 240p and didn't give me the option of upping it to something tolerable. Even if was a slower connection, I would've been happy to let it cache for a few seconds.

Also it's got annoying stuff like forgetting your entire cache half of the time when trying to rewind.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I wouldn't count on Jasmine ever being updated again. The dev got bought by Reddit for his Alien Blue app now he's locked in a closet forced to update that app all the time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

I wouldn't count on Jasmine ever being updated again. The dev got bought by Reddit for his Alien Blue app now he's locked in a closet forced to update that app all the time.

Maybe Alien Blue is so horrible because he's trying to get himself fired.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Tubex also claims to have a solution to this new API implementation.

I believe Tubex lets you do this as well.

Does Tubex have a no-ads option yet? That was the only thing that put me off.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

It was long dead before he was acquihired. It's got some horrible bugs that'll never be fixed

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Jase is a bad developer who hit a stroke of luck by making a halfway decent Reddit app among a sea of one's designed by a group of journalism majors.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Jasmine was pulled from the App Store last week anyway.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jasmine was fantastic for a long time and was one of the handful of pre-iOS 7 apps that foretold (if I can regurgitate an oft repeated Jobs cliché) where the puck was going

Unfortunately support was dropped and videos default to the lowest quality possible so

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what's the deal with the Friendly app? it appears to have died. won't load up properly, won't load images, just generally given up. any explanation or other alternative to the horrendous Facebook app?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone know any good podcast or weather apps?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Last Chance posted:

No, sorry.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

There are no good options for this on iOS.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Last Chance posted:

I like Overcast for podcasts and Dark Sky for weather.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Last Chance posted:

Dashlane

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
podcast wise, downcast and overcast own

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RhoA posted:

I like Overcast for podcasts and Dark Sky for weather.

Seconding these apps. Doubly so for Dark Sky. Because of yesterday, I know trust it with my life now when it comes to rain.

And Smart Speed owns on Overcast.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Are Overcast and Dark Sky good apps??

Are there any podcasts about weather I can subscribe to?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

maduin posted:

Yo, but are there?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

maduin posted:

Chakan posted:

Yo, but are there?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/weatherbrains/id121275452?mt=2

Metacognition
May 9, 2015

maduin posted:

Yeah Dark Sky is pretty awesome. However it's pretty useless for me right now considering California is having a drought

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Metacognition posted:

Yeah Dark Sky is pretty awesome. However it's pretty useless for me right now considering California is having a drought

I could go for an app that sends a push notification if I should bother checking the weather that day. The one hour of the one day it rained last week in the Bay Area I happened to get caught unprepared.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

marmot25 posted:

I could go for an app that sends a push notification if I should bother checking the weather that day. The one hour of the one day it rained last week in the Bay Area I happened to get caught unprepared.

IFTTT will send you a text.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I use an IFTTT recipe that texts me the weather forecast every morning. You can specify what time you want it to send.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

tuyop posted:

IFTTT will send you a text.

Aces!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does Apple Maps not adjust routes for construction? There was a sign earlier on the highway saying the exit I needed to take was closed, so I got off an exit early. I didn't know whether I needed to turn left or right, so I guessed, and then right after that there was another intersection that I also had to guess at. About 1 minute later Maps realized I took a different route and gave me new directions. This is the first time I've used it, does it normally have these problems?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apple Maps is pretty poo poo. Use Waze.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Everyone always says use Waze but it's so loving ugly and Google Maps does most of what Waze does.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HERE supremacy. At least , until Uber buys it and makes it poo poo.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

Everyone always says use Waze but it's so loving ugly and Google Maps does most of what Waze does.

Waze is now part of Google. Some of the traffic information in Google Maps is provided by Waze users.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

HERE supremacy. At least , until Uber buys it and makes it poo poo.

There are other buyers lined up too!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How is HERE monetized currently? Is Uber planning to license it out and charge for it? The business potential right now is confusing to me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Michael Scott posted:

How is HERE monetized currently? Is Uber planning to license it out and charge for it? The business potential right now is confusing to me.

The map data from HERE is sold to everyone under the sun; auto manufacturers, shipping companies, bing, Facebook, etc. Etc. Etc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So what actually is the best podcast app? I was close to asking o the Android thread, but then I remembered Android users do not care about apps. I'm trying to get one that works on both (hoping Pocket Casts is better than Overcast, essentially)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

So what actually is the best podcast app? I was close to asking o the Android thread, but then I remembered Android users do not care about apps. I'm trying to get one that works on both (hoping Pocket Casts is better than Overcast, essentially)

Since there's no Android version of Overcast, Pocket Casts would win by default.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What do people have against the default podcast app?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Since there's no Android version of Overcast, Pocket Casts would win by default.

Between the two, yeah, but I was mostly curious if there was something else that is also in contention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eightpole posted:

What do people have against the default podcast app?

It has no features apart from the ability to sync old taped episodes of Loveline.

Which is why I use it.