Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What time are those demos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I look forward to the the squid sisters hit song "Gargle Singing"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

So it appears that the demo will only be active for an hour at a time at 3 separate times later this week? Guess they're testing server loads. Here's hoping their netcode isn't garbage!

Asnorban posted:

What time are those demos?

5/8 8-9 PM
5/9 4-5 AM
5/9 12-1 PM

All times are PST.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My big takeaway from that video: they're launching with five maps, the gently caress.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Judd is a biased referee in the the dog vs cat match up, I demand a neutral arbiter.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I could use the costumes online in smash because jesus loving christ if I saw it in real life I'm pretty sure I'd be murdered a few seconds later.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's the Everyone Votes Channel, with guns. Like a real democracy.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

My big takeaway from that video: they're launching with five maps, the gently caress.

It does sound like they're adding loads more stuff for free after release though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They said they're adding a new one for free every few weeks though

Also the dog/cat thing is rock/pop in Europe

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Also, a TV trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynGf9-T1UA

Direct link

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 7, 2015

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
No store specific pre-order bonuses in the UK. Pre-ordered the 3 Amiibos and game last month. Everything's coming up Monster.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Yeah, the details I learned from this Direct honestly pushed me away from the game a little. I'm really not satisfied with the fact that they're going to be releasing a pretty barebones game for $60 and then just patching in the stuff to make it not horribly sparse. Not a good practice.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

You know what other game launched with five maps? Team Fortress 2.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also this. Each time I saw something and went "cool!" to they kinda went back and made me wonder what the hell they're thinking. I understand the ranked thing that's fine but "in a later update you can INVITE FRIENDS AND PLAY WITH THEM!! WOOOAH!" had me wondering why that isn't in their from the start. They have a handful of maps ready to apparently just... let us play them. Same deal with "only two maps are playable at random times in the day."

What the hell is going on with this, are you sure you don't wanna push it back nintendo?

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Go store specific pre-order bonuses in the UK. Pre-ordered the 3 Amiibos and game last month. Everything's coming up Monster.

Did you preorder from Game or the Nintendo store?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i believe in team cat

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Blaisedell posted:

Did you preorder from Game or the Nintendo store?

Game website.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

sharrrk posted:

i believe in team cat

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What the hell is going on with this, are you sure you don't wanna push it back nintendo?

No point in pushing it back, the game's already feature/gameplay complete and everything to be added is just additional content. People can be playing it right away.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I'm glad they're incorporating some kind of clan game system - if not now then in an update sometime in the future. Goonsquids, perhaps?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully they can patch in friend only party chat.

I hope that demo lets us play a single player level or something too since I won't be able to play at any of those global test times.:(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also this. Each time I saw something and went "cool!" to they kinda went back and made me wonder what the hell they're thinking. I understand the ranked thing that's fine but "in a later update you can INVITE FRIENDS AND PLAY WITH THEM!! WOOOAH!" had me wondering why that isn't in their from the start. They have a handful of maps ready to apparently just... let us play them. Same deal with "only two maps are playable at random times in the day."

game looks great but if there is seriously no loving invite feature for friends and only 5 maps then I'm waiting a few months. I expect that poo poo from other companies and their half-assed releases but not nintendo.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Rexroom posted:

I'm glad they're incorporating some kind of clan game system - if not now then in an update sometime in the future. Goonsquids, perhaps?

Shouldn't it just be "Goons in Splatoons", because there's a forum called... yeah.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Cabbagepots posted:

You know what other game launched with five maps? Team Fortress 2.
Yeah, Team Fortress 2 also launched with HL2 (with both episodes) and Portal in the same package.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

I think you mean SplaGoons :colbert:.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if team dog saw a woman drop a $20 bill they wouldn't give it back to her. they would just keep the bill

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
drat it I will completely miss the demo because of my stolen gamepad won't be here for like ten days and the eShop doesn't work without it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Look at it this way: the Battlefield 4 launch was kind of a disaster and DICE had done it plenty of times. Nintendo's never really launched anything like this before, so I'm willing to give them some leeway with a slower feature rollout if it means a more stable game experience.

Of course if it's *not* stable, then I don't even know, man.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It probably is just unfinished but I guess it also works as a way to keep the online community going for more than a week by constantly trickling in new content

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in my opinion five maps is four too many but i appreciate the variety

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I guess Nintendo wants to play it safe and look how the players will play the game, before the release they've mainly played the game in-house. And while 5 maps is... not much, at least they're releasing further ones in the near future.

Cabbagepots posted:

Shouldn't it just be "Goons in Splatoons", because there's a forum called... yeah.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It seems purposeful, like they are trying to make sure it stays alive and interesting for more than a week. There is a procession of events to keep people in, even if they have to stretch their features thin over time to do it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If they, say, release an update every week, it will probably keep people playing the game a hell of a lot longer than just pushing out a huge chunk of game will. Oh hey there's a new map today! Let's play some Splatoon. Etc.

At least that's what I'm assuming is their strategy for this. Otherwise you run the risk of people playing for like three days 8 hours a day and then burning out and never coming back. Of course, there is also the element that this way they can get their cash money now and not later.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

drat it I will completely miss the demo because of my stolen gamepad won't be here for like ten days and the eShop doesn't work without it.

Not anymore! You can now navigate the eShop with any controller as of an update from a few months ago!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Not anymore! You can now navigate the eShop with any controller as of an update from a few months ago!

How do you open it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

How do you open it?

Press X to flip the TV screen with the Gamepad one :ssh:.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chaltab posted:

Look at it this way: the Battlefield 4 launch was kind of a disaster and DICE had done it plenty of times. Nintendo's never really launched anything like this before, so I'm willing to give them some leeway with a slower feature rollout if it means a more stable game experience.

Of course if it's *not* stable, then I don't even know, man.

Some of it I'd be okay with it but it felt like the last half of the direct was just "stuff is coming later, promise." which is what has me riled up personally. Hell if the "playing with friends 8 player" thing was in the game from the start I'd just kind of begrudgingly accept it but... not even that? Why make players wait to play custom games with their friends?

Big problem with the new content thing is also the "only 2 maps are playable in random online and they switch out every 4 hours." If I go to work and come home when my map leaves the cycle that means I'd have to wait possibly 8+ hours before I get to play the map I actually do like. That poo poo is bananas

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm buying Splatoon for single player so I don't really give a poo poo that they're doing something different with a staggered multiplayer content release.

To be honest, the staggered release will probably keep me more interested in multiplayer over a longer period of time than I would be otherwise so it sounds like a good idea.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Press X to flip the TV screen with the Gamepad one :ssh:.

I thought you couldn't interact with the TV screen there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

elf help book posted:

How do you open it?

Either get the main menu on your TV with the X button or turn your Wii U on with a not-Gamepad controller and move to the eShop icon or press the home button and I think you can launch the eShop from that menu.

• Locked thread