Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

j3rkstore posted:

Just off the top of my head you could try thinning out the mash a bit by increasing the water/grist ratio, mashing longer and oxygenating with pure o2.

I assume your yeast starters are using a stir plate? Can you share more details on your mashing process?

My friend is doing most of the work. His controls and equipment is a lot better than mine. He has both a 96qt cooler and a 120qt cooler brewing 5 gallon batches - using the 120 for his bigger beers to keep his ratios decent. He also uses an oxygenation wand per the instructions. Yeast starters on a stir plate (he's read at least 2 books on yeast and has a pretty good grasp on it).

I don't have numbers on his water:grist ratio, but he's aware of the general accepted ratios. If there's any problem there, his mash is probably too stiff - I have the opposite problem with BIAB, but that's another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I was mainly asking to get more info on mash duration and any temperature steps, obviously a higher temp mash will result in more unfermentables.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jo3sh posted:

STC-1000 or the newer ITC-1000. Check eBay. You can get the STC-1000 for $15-17 and another $15-20 in parts and a little wiring gives you a heat/cool controller. The ITC is the same, but reads in both F and C (STC is C only).

How do you feel about the ones that just plug in-line with the power cable? Like this Johnson Controls one: http://www.homebrewing.org/Johnson-Controls-Refrigerator-Freezer-Thermostat-Digital-Temperature-Controller_p_2473.html

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

j3rkstore posted:

I was mainly asking to get more info on mash duration and any temperature steps, obviously a higher temp mash will result in more unfermentables.

I've brewed with him half a dozen times and he's hitting his targets. We worked up a few recipes together so his DIPA recipe is like a 150 Mash / 156 Sparge (or close enough). He's been doing this long enough and he's made some great beers - it's only when we started trying to make high gravity beers that we had this specific problem. Reading up just now, I'd almost put my money on the water/grist ratio now.

Scarf posted:

How do you feel about the ones that just plug in-line with the power cable? Like this Johnson Controls one: http://www.homebrewing.org/Johnson-Controls-Refrigerator-Freezer-Thermostat-Digital-Temperature-Controller_p_2473.html

I have one of these and I like it a lot.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

Reading up just now, I'd almost put my money on the water/grist ratio now.

Consider doing 2 mash/sparge cycles. Also consider swapping some base grains for DME or LME (this could be problematic since you can't control the fermentability here). Definitely getting a higher water to grist ratio will help. Hard for those enzymes to get to all the sugars without enough liquid to float around in.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

robotsinmyhead posted:

Odd question that I can't get a good answer too with Googling:

My friend brews a LOT of beer and he's trying to get better with DIPAs, as they are his favorite style - mine as well, so this question is for both of us. Our grain bills are getting pretty big, and good efficiency is pushing us over 1.090OG, but even with calculated yeast cells counts easily surpassing the recommendations, proper temperature control, etc, all the beers are coming out overly sweet ~1.020ishFG. This completely mutes the hop profile and tastes pretty bad.

I've heard that a fix for this is a slightly lower grain bill and the addition of Corn Sugar at ~10min till flameout - supposedly contributing to a drier finished beer. Any advice aside from switching yeast types?

For reference, he's a 3+ year all grain immersion brewer, I'm ~2 years and all grain stovetop brew-in-a-bag/immersion mix (apt living :( )

In addition to the above, consider dropping mash a few degrees (148 maybe), waiting until peak kraussen to add corn sugar (as a simple syrup), and really ramping temps up at the end of fermentation. My most recent DIPA was 1.008 vs. previous batches with the same yeast at about 1.014 or higher.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Scarf posted:

I'm sure it's awesome, but it's $84. I mean :homebrew: but I'm happy to save the $40 and buy some malt with it. Also, that one's only a single channel (cool *or* heat, not both)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Jo3sh posted:

I'm sure it's awesome, but it's $84. I mean :homebrew: but I'm happy to save the $40 and buy some malt with it. Also, that one's only a single channel (cool *or* heat, not both)

Mine can heat or cool. You have to swap a jumper on the inside iirc? It's in the manual and not hard to do - but I might have a different model with that same design.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Something horrible happened with an extract cream ale I did a few weeks ago. It tastes....chemical-y? I'd never used extract before, what is going on there?

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a good lawn mower/patio beer? Preferably something around 5% and widely palatable.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

robotsinmyhead posted:

Mine can heat or cool. You have to swap a jumper on the inside iirc? It's in the manual and not hard to do - but I might have a different model with that same design.

Wait what? It's got a single power cable, don't you have to split something at some point for that to work?

Regardless of whatever alchemy you're referring to, $20 in parts ($10 of that which you might very well already have) can make you a dual-power unit. Plug the freezer into one end, a fermwrap (or like heating device) into the other, and you're all set. I'm a drat idiot when it comes to wiring stuff and I managed to slap a pair of these things together.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

bewbies posted:

Something horrible happened with an extract cream ale I did a few weeks ago. It tastes....chemical-y? I'd never used extract before, what is going on there?

It's nothing to do with it being extract based. Is it a plastic or rubber taste? That could be chlorine/chloramines in your water, most counties add more to the water supply as it heats up.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone campden tablets cost like $2 for a multi-year supply. Crush 1/2 a tab in your mash water and 1/2 a tab in your sparge water and never worry about chlorine or chloramines again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jo3sh posted:

STC-1000 or the newer ITC-1000. Check eBay. You can get the STC-1000 for $15-17 and another $15-20 in parts and a little wiring gives you a heat/cool controller. The ITC is the same, but reads in both F and C (STC is C only).
If you have an Arduino and aren't afraid of a bit of geeky stuff there's a custom firmware available for STC-1000s that enables Fahrenheit display and has a bunch of extra features based around using it for various beer-related things.

https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

wattershed posted:

Wait what? It's got a single power cable, don't you have to split something at some point for that to work?

Sounds like it's switchable between a heat mode and a cool mode, not that it can do both at once,

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Jo3sh posted:

I bought this one recently that's a whole lot cheaper. The instructions aren't great but it does work quite well.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

wolrah posted:

Sounds like it's switchable between a heat mode and a cool mode, not that it can do both at once,

That's exactly it. The Johnson unit (heh) can heat *or* cool, with reconfiguration needed to switch. The STC-1000 can control both a heating and a cooling circuit without reconfiguration. I put two outlets on the back of my build (just like most of the builds you'll see around the 'net), one wired for cooling, where I plug in the fridge; and the other for heating, where I plug in a reptile heater when needed.

Ranco makes a two-channel unit, and I imagine Johnson does as well, but they are kinda up there in :homebrew:.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I have two STC-1000's. One for the fermentation freezer that has one outlet hooked up to the freezer (for cooling) and another outlet hooked up to a reptile heating pad put inside the freezer (for heating). The other STC-1000 is used for the keezer, so no need for heating.

Building an STC-1000 is a little bit of wiring, but is super geeky and very rewarding when you are done. See that feeling of I did it. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: Also, that's the spirit of home brewing to me. Trying to make everything yourself.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 6, 2015

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

robotsinmyhead posted:

Odd question that I can't get a good answer too with Googling:

My friend brews a LOT of beer and he's trying to get better with DIPAs, as they are his favorite style - mine as well, so this question is for both of us. Our grain bills are getting pretty big, and good efficiency is pushing us over 1.090OG, but even with calculated yeast cells counts easily surpassing the recommendations, proper temperature control, etc, all the beers are coming out overly sweet ~1.020ishFG. This completely mutes the hop profile and tastes pretty bad.

I've heard that a fix for this is a slightly lower grain bill and the addition of Corn Sugar at ~10min till flameout - supposedly contributing to a drier finished beer. Any advice aside from switching yeast types?

For reference, he's a 3+ year all grain immersion brewer, I'm ~2 years and all grain stovetop brew-in-a-bag/immersion mix (apt living :( )

Depending on the grain bill that's not that bad attenuation for beer that big, if you keep it low on the crystal/Carmel malt you can have a good dipa.

Sugar helps and I've never noticed any off flavors from it, even as much as 20%.

Good advice has been given already; pitch lots of healthy yeast with nutrients (servomyces is supposed to be really good but I haven't tried it), mash long and low and use 02.

The only other thing I can think of is that I've noticed much better attenuation from 2-3+ gen yeast. Also, reusing fresh yeast lets you pitch gigantic amounts of very healthy yeast for super cheap.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jo3sh posted:

That's exactly it. The Johnson unit (heh) can heat *or* cool, with reconfiguration needed to switch. The STC-1000 can control both a heating and a cooling circuit without reconfiguration. I put two outlets on the back of my build (just like most of the builds you'll see around the 'net), one wired for cooling, where I plug in the fridge; and the other for heating, where I plug in a reptile heater when needed.

Ranco makes a two-channel unit, and I imagine Johnson does as well, but they are kinda up there in :homebrew:.

Ahhh ok, I'm understanding it now. Ok cool, def think I wanna go that rout. thanks!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LaserWash posted:

Building an STC-1000 is a little bit of wiring, but is super geeky and very rewarding when you are done. See that feeling of I did it. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: Also, that's the spirit of home brewing to me. Trying to make everything yourself.

This. I don't know what it is, but when I have people over who haven't had my beer before and I show them my fermentation chamber and the STC controller I set up, people get this glazed mix of confusion and admiration on their face. I much enjoy that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone have a link to the project box they used for something like this, or know what kind of dimensions I should be looking for on one?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I used a Radio Shack one about 5x7x3 inches. There was plenty of room.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

wattershed posted:

Regardless of whatever alchemy you're referring to, $20 in parts ($10 of that which you might very well already have) can make you a dual-power unit. Plug the freezer into one end, a fermwrap (or like heating device) into the other, and you're all set. I'm a drat idiot when it comes to wiring stuff and I managed to slap a pair of these things together.

Misunderstanding - that temp controller can be connected to a device that heats or cools and can be set to "enable" the device to either turn on when the temp is high or low. It doesn't enable a fridge to warm up above ambient or a heater to cool things down.

In cool mode, it enables a cooling device (fridge, chest freezer, ac unit) to turn on when the temperature goes above a set point. In heat mode, it turns on when the temperature drops below a set point.

In my application, I have it in "Cool" mode which turns the fridge on when the temperature runs over my set temp for fermentation. The outside ambient temperature (this fermentation chamber/fridge is in an outdoor garage) has to be above that or the system fails. Also, I put the probe in a big jug of water to ballast the temp changes when you open the door.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 7, 2015

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Scarf posted:

Anyone have a link to the project box they used for something like this, or know what kind of dimensions I should be looking for on one?

I've made a couple with this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BSRIO/

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Awesome, thanks!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

robotsinmyhead posted:

Misunderstanding - that temp controller can be connected to a device that heats or cools and can be set to "enable" the device to either turn on when the temp is high or low. It doesn't enable a fridge to warm up above ambient or a heater to cool things down.

In cool mode, it enables a cooling device (fridge, chest freezer, ac unit) to turn on when the temperature goes above a set point. In heat mode, it turns on when the temperature drops below a set point.

In my application, I have it in "Cool" mode which turns the fridge on when the temperature runs over my set temp for fermentation. The outside ambient temperature (this fermentation chamber/fridge is in an outdoor garage) has to be above that or the system fails. Also, I put the probe in a big jug of water to ballast the temp changes when you open the door.

Oh, I know how it DOES work, I have two of those as well, rock-solid pieces of hardware. Just thought you were performing some heretoforth unknown hack of that unit to get some extra performance out of it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Let's just say you had the terrible problem that your kegs were full, five or six of your carboys were empty, and you had two months off from work.

1.) What would you brew to serve in the summer? (Thinking something like Michael Tonsmeire's 'Merican Saison recipe - http://tinyurl.com/ohp7g4h)
2.) What would you brew to serve for the winter? (Thinking I want a real smooth, somewhat hoppy Russian Imperial Stout)
3.) What would you brew to serve in the event you wanted to save something for a really special day like a wedding waaaaaaaaay in the future? (probably a sour of some kind)

Also, does someone have a Blonde Ale recipe that is super smooth, maybe with a little bit of hop character, that would be good for throwing peaches on after primary?

I need to order sometime this weekend and want to pay for shipping (hopefully) once. :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LaserWash posted:

Let's just say you had the terrible problem that your kegs were full, five or six of your carboys were empty, and you had two months off from work.

1.) What would you brew to serve in the summer? (Thinking something like Michael Tonsmeire's 'Merican Saison recipe - http://tinyurl.com/ohp7g4h)
2.) What would you brew to serve for the winter? (Thinking I want a real smooth, somewhat hoppy Russian Imperial Stout)
3.) What would you brew to serve in the event you wanted to save something for a really special day like a wedding waaaaaaaaay in the future? (probably a sour of some kind)

Also, does someone have a Blonde Ale recipe that is super smooth, maybe with a little bit of hop character, that would be good for throwing peaches on after primary?

I need to order sometime this weekend and want to pay for shipping (hopefully) once. :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

I'd make whatever for Summer.
I'd Make Internet Celebrity's RIS for winter.
and a barley-wine for the wedding cause your gonna get drunk anyway (it's the only way to survive).

Get the free shipping from more beer.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I'd Make Internet Celebrity's RIS for winter.

Link? Does he have a brewtoad or beer smith account where I can look at the recipe?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LaserWash posted:

Link? Does he have a brewtoad or beer smith account where I can look at the recipe?

This is what I have form my notes but it may be a few numbers off. It was my secret santa gift 2 years ago.

Ingredients
Units for 3 gallons:
7.5 pounds of Marris Otter Malt
1 lbs chocolate malt
1 lbs roasted barley
1Lb Wheat DME
.5 lbs Crystal 40L
4 ozs Lactose
Hops
1oz Northern brewer Leaf Hops - 60 min
1oz Goldings Pellet - 30 min
1oz Northern brewer Leaf Hops - 15 min
1oz Goldings Pellet - 3 min
Yeast : Safale US-05

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

LaserWash posted:

1.) Kolsch
2.) American Barleywine
3.) Flanders Red

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

LaserWash posted:

Here you go
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/straightjacket-stout

If I were to brew it again I'd probably sub out a pound or two of the base malt for flaked barley because somehow it just didn't have enough body. I'd also add some more hops throughout the boil and shoot for 90ish IBU.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

Here you go

If I were to brew it again I'd probably sub out a pound or two of the base malt for flaked barley because somehow it just didn't have enough body. I'd also add some more hops throughout the boil and shoot for 90ish IBU.

I had one bottle that made it to 5 months or so and it was awesome.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

j3rkstore posted:

1.) Kolsch

I have a cream ale going now for pretty much the same result.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

internet celebrity posted:

Here you go

Super! I think I'm going to start with this as my base recipe - including the 2 pounds of flaked barley in exchange for the maris and I'll probably hit it with an ounce or two of Magnum for IBUs (possibly taking out that first hit of Northern Brewer).

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 7, 2015

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

rockcity posted:

Can you explain why it makes no sense? Honestly, that sounded like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me. There is a healthy yeast cake going and if it's down at the bottom in it, it's very likely half of it will be sitting in that yeast cake and preventing better contact with the beer. Again, I have no experience oak aging anything, but that explanation sounded plausible to me and you have provided zero reason to believe otherwise aside from saying he's an idiot.

It's about exposure, movement, and the size of the yeast cake - as well as the time spent inside the fermentor.

For the sake of the argument, let's say he's 100% correct. So what? You dangle the oak in there with floss of all things and create more surface because... why? It takes less time? The only reason I could see why you'd want faster extraction was if you were oak aging an IPA or... hefe maybe? I'd prefer a slower extraction so I knew when it was done, or if I was out of town for a period of time and didn't want oak sawdust.

I mean, I'm sure he's partially right. If it sank flat on the bottom, didn't move, and the yeast flocculated HARD. Let's also not forget it's wood so it's going to float (up until they are impregnated). Oak has a density of .07g/cm^3 whereas beer will always have a density above that number (usually between 1.020 and .999 g/cm^3). You may look at weighting it if you want the "full contact", but I've never run into the issue. It is easier to have it on a line to remove when it's 'oaked' enough, but I have a seriously had time imagining a circumstance where trub would be so thick and dense that it would impede infusion to the point of being the only reason why you suspend it the liquid. The only way is you've got a thicker liquid on the bottom, as in your beer settled into different layers of viscosity, but oak flavor will have no trouble infusing due to particles touching it.

I may carry a bit of chip on my shoulder due to local homebrew stores spouting half-facts all the time. So, I'm sure he's a perfectly fine fellow.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jacobey000 posted:

It's about exposure, movement, and the size of the yeast cake - as well as the time spent inside the fermentor.

For the sake of the argument, let's say he's 100% correct. So what? You dangle the oak in there with floss of all things and create more surface because... why? It takes less time? The only reason I could see why you'd want faster extraction was if you were oak aging an IPA or... hefe maybe? I'd prefer a slower extraction so I knew when it was done, or if I was out of town for a period of time and didn't want oak sawdust.

I mean, I'm sure he's partially right. If it sank flat on the bottom, didn't move, and the yeast flocculated HARD. Let's also not forget it's wood so it's going to float (up until they are impregnated). Oak has a density of .07g/cm^3 whereas beer will always have a density above that number (usually between 1.020 and .999 g/cm^3). You may look at weighting it if you want the "full contact", but I've never run into the issue. It is easier to have it on a line to remove when it's 'oaked' enough, but I have a seriously had time imagining a circumstance where trub would be so thick and dense that it would impede infusion to the point of being the only reason why you suspend it the liquid. The only way is you've got a thicker liquid on the bottom, as in your beer settled into different layers of viscosity, but oak flavor will have no trouble infusing due to particles touching it.

I may carry a bit of chip on my shoulder due to local homebrew stores spouting half-facts all the time. So, I'm sure he's a perfectly fine fellow.

Thanks, that's basically the explanation I was looking for. I don't want to age it too much because it's a saison, but I didn't want yeast possibly coating it and it not working effectively. I plan to soak it for a couple days in Chardonnay so there's a chance it will be saturated enough to not float. I'll probably try to suspend it somehow just to make removal easier. He seemed reasonably knowledgeable and knew a fair bit about the saison yeasts so I was taking his word on it. One of my other stores is owned by the exact type of guy you're talking about though. He gives poor to mediocre advice and most of the time he gives you whatever answer will get you to buy your poo poo and leave faster.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

In my experience just a couple days will not be enough to saturate the wood. I had a wood spiral soaked in port for 2 weeks before I threw it in secondary and it floated the entire time it was there.

I have another oak spiral in my lambic that took 3 months to sink.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
There's probably no practical/legal/cheap way to get full CO2 canisters shipped to me right? I badly need one (got a cider and a beer acting all lonely in my keezer) but the only supply store in the area is 9-5 M-F and there's basically no way I can take time off to exchange.

e: Maybe I can bribe a friend who has a job with non standard hours to do it

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Every place I've ever seen gas bottles for sale only ships them empty. Maybe the local gas supply will take pity on you and drive their delivery truck by your home or place of business and do the swap that way? Otherwise, yeah, you pretty much have to go to the supplier to fill/swap.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Josh Wow posted:

It's nothing to do with it being extract based. Is it a plastic or rubber taste? That could be chlorine/chloramines in your water, most counties add more to the water supply as it heats up.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone campden tablets cost like $2 for a multi-year supply. Crush 1/2 a tab in your mash water and 1/2 a tab in your sparge water and never worry about chlorine or chloramines again.

*half the homebrewers I talk to voice* Eh, that's too much work. I just collect all my water through an RV filter that I never replace and then leave it in buckets for 3 days before I brew. Saves me so much time. Can't figure out why everything tastes like bandaids though, better throw out my mash tun, it's obviously got an infection.

Seriously, why is everyone afraid of Campden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Adult Sword Owner posted:

There's probably no practical/legal/cheap way to get full CO2 canisters shipped to me right? I badly need one (got a cider and a beer acting all lonely in my keezer) but the only supply store in the area is 9-5 M-F and there's basically no way I can take time off to exchange.

e: Maybe I can bribe a friend who has a job with non standard hours to do it

Maybe you can use one of those crowdsource services like where people pick up your dry cleaning?