Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Help Im Alive posted:

It also works as a way to keep the online community going for more than a week by constantly trickling in new content

A bunch of people ITT who don't understand how to keep an online game alive wouldn't understand this. If you put in all maps at once people would only pick the three more popular, ignore all the rest, and the game would die faster for it. The developers are doing the smart approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm buying Splatoon for single player
There is some single player stuff but really not enough to warrant buying it only for that.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

MinibarMatchman posted:

game looks great but if there is seriously no loving invite feature for friends and only 5 maps then I'm waiting a few months. I expect that poo poo from other companies and their half-assed releases but not nintendo.

You don't expect Nintendo to half rear end multiplayer features? Really?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think I don't really like online multiplayer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's 60 missions for me and my amiibo to explore and that sounds good 2 me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

There is some single player stuff but really not enough to warrant buying it only for that.

There is actually

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I also noticed they're giving a discount on the eShop Splatoon if you downloaded the demo. Guess I'll buy the download version then.

Also, Splatoon skin for your gamepad. Guess they listened the "just a boring black wii u" whining.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Team cat. Is that fat motherfucking judge cat's name "Jud" or "Chud"? I like Chud more.

Also, way to host the demo almost exclusively over Mother's Day weekend, you dinguses. Some of us have mothers!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think they dropped the ball by not having a bit of active demo time now. They've got everyone paying attention from the Direct and have been told a demo's available immediately but it's no good for a while.

Bland posted:

You don't expect Nintendo to half rear end multiplayer features? Really?

Why should we? Their online multiplayer has been really great with the WiiU.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What sounds good to me, is defeating foes online with a big paint roller, and ink bombs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm going to roll with the roller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It kinda also feels like Nintendo is slowly unlocking stuff because they think their fans have never played a shooter game before.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

It kinda also feels like Nintendo is slowly unlocking stuff because they think their fans have never played a shooter game before.

I'm not ashamed to admit that Metroid Prime was the first FPS I ever owned.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think you'll find it's more that they've never made a shooter before.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
You guys are really stressing over the "five maps" thing. It's not that big a deal.

This is typical of team deathmatch-style games. Eventually only one or two maps become the favorites for competitive play, like 2fort on TF2 or de_dust on Counter Strike. If the gameplay is deep and multi-faceted you don't really need a lot of maps.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mabels big day posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit that Metroid Prime was the first FPS I ever owned.

Timesplitters 2

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Liking the hats. Just wish they didn't try to make the Mii's look like the squids

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cabbagepots posted:

You guys are really stressing over the "five maps" thing. It's not that big a deal.

This is typical of team deathmatch-style games. Eventually only one or two maps become the favorites for competitive play, like 2fort on TF2 or de_dust on Counter Strike. If the gameplay is deep and multi-faceted you don't really need a lot of maps.

>2fort
>competititve

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

It seems purposeful, like they are trying to make sure it stays alive and interesting for more than a week. There is a procession of events to keep people in, even if they have to stretch their features thin over time to do it.

I think they are purposefully framing their content updates as "post-launch support" because they couldn't afford to delay the game and couldn't finish it in time. I expected they might pull that with voice chat but not, like, playing with friends. Even some of those post-launch weapons like the brush are things they showed off months ago that people assumed were finished long ago.

I kinda wonder if they weren't pressured to add more single-player content at some point and it cut into their schedule for the multiplayer stuff, too. In that case, they probably made the right call.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cabbagepots posted:

Final destination.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

What's their interest in keeping people coming back to the game over a longer period of time? If they're playing the long game, there's gotta be some way of monetizing it, either through DLC or some sort of other eshop tie-in.

The optimist in me says that they're going to be using it as a way to carefully analyze player data so as to balance the game as new elements are introduced. The pessimist says that they just couldn't get it all together in time for release. The super-pessimist says that there will be some pay-to-unlock features in the future.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

Not anymore! You can now navigate the eShop with any controller as of an update from a few months ago!

Huh, the guy on the phone said I wouldn't be able to use the eShop, maybe he just meant text entry for payment which wouldn't be an issue downloading a free demo.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Golden Goat posted:

Final destination.

Hey, they also play on Battlefield and Smashville as well :colbert:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It all looks good to me :thumbsup:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

This is the saddest news to come out of the whole direct. Inkling had so much moveset potential :negative:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I think nintendo's biggest challenge with this game will be dealing with the 8-year old / 30-year-old player divide. Once you play a few games I'm sure the ranking system will do its job, but those first few matches are going to really damage the self-esteem of the actual children playing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

This is the saddest news to come out of the whole direct. Inkling had so much moveset potential :negative:

Don't worry, all that potential can be found in Mii Gunner. For example, there is the iconic, "shoot a gun" move.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

So did like hundreds of other characters people wanted for smash. Join the club :negative:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
K.Rool has priority.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nintendo has updated their software sales data from last year

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

These are the changes for those curious. Surprised to see some older Wii games still selling

Wii U
Mario Kart 8 - 5.11 M
New Super Mario Bros. U - 4.81 M (up 650,000)
NIntendo Land - 4.68 M (Up 1,590,000)
Super Mario 3D World - 4.1 M (Up 1,930,000)
Super Smash Bros for Wii U - 3.65 M
New Super Luigi U - 2.25 M (Up 490,000)
Wii Party U - 1.55 M (Up 200,000)
Wind Waker - 1.52 M (Up 300,000)

3DS
Pokemon X/Pokemon Y - 13.85 M (Up 1,590,000)
Mario Kart 7 - 11.70 M (Up 2,800,000)
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 9.94 M
New Super Mario Bros 2 - 9.16M (Up 1,340,000)
Animal Crossing New Leaf - 8.94 M (Up 1.280,000)
Super Smash Bros 3DS - 6.75 M
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 4.48 M (Up 500,000)
Tomodachi Life -4.15 M (Up 2,300,000) Note: Japan release in FY2013, US in FY2014)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3.70 M (Up 350,000)

Wii:
Wii Spots - 82.69 M (Up 150,000)
Mario Kart Wii - 36.38 M (Up 850,000)
Wii Sports Resort - 32.80 M (Up 220,000)
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 29.32 M (Up 670,000)
Wii Play - 28.02 (No Change)
Wii Fit - 22.67 M (No Change)
Wii Fit Plus - 21.11 M (Up 80,000)
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 12.77 M (Up 550,000)
Super Mario Galaxy - 12.5 M (Up 280,000)

DS
New Super Mario Bros - 30.79 M - (40,000)
Mario Kart DS - 23.59 M (Up 30,000)
Everything else had no change

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Kurtofan posted:

K.Rool has priority.

Yeah, he's the first in line to go in the trash.

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 7, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really wish I could put the costumes the miis get on the regular characters. I don't like the miis. But I would like a squid hat on Kirby

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Not a Children posted:

The optimist in me says that they're going to be using it as a way to carefully analyze player data so as to balance the game as new elements are introduced. The pessimist says that they just couldn't get it all together in time for release. The super-pessimist says that there will be some pay-to-unlock features in the future.

This is exactly what I'm thinking.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Polo-Rican posted:

I think nintendo's biggest challenge with this game will be dealing with the 8-year old / 30-year-old player divide. Once you play a few games I'm sure the ranking system will do its job, but those first few matches are going to really damage the self-esteem of the actual children playing.

I read that article Edge did on Splatoon and basically Nintendo saw that a bumbling 8-year old could contribute to the team, since you win games painting the arena rather than fragging your opponents. So that's something to keep in mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

Surprised to see some older Wii games still selling

Wii:
Wii Spots - 82.69 M (Up 150,000)
Mario Kart Wii - 36.38 M (Up 850,000)
Wii Sports Resort - 32.80 M (Up 220,000)
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 29.32 M (Up 670,000)
Wii Play - 28.02 (No Change)
Wii Fit - 22.67 M (No Change)
Wii Fit Plus - 21.11 M (Up 80,000)
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 12.77 M (Up 550,000)
Super Mario Galaxy - 12.5 M (Up 280,000)

DS
New Super Mario Bros - 30.79 M - (40,000)
Mario Kart DS - 23.59 M (Up 30,000)
Everything else had no change

Those titles are all still sitting on store shelves everywhere, in Australia at least. At full retail price, no less :shepface:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Post-launch support isn't just about keeping people on the hook so they can monetise them, it's about maintaining a playerbase and/or keeping people from dumping/flipping their games the moment they think they've seen all the "content".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Post-launch support isn't just about keeping people on the hook so they can monetise them, it's about maintaining a playerbase and/or keeping people from dumping/flipping their games the moment they think they've seen all the "content".

Plus it's a full-price retail game and not a free-2-play relying on freemium content to stay alive. They've front-loaded enough income (if it does well) to float on free updates for ages.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

My big takeaway from that video: they're launching with five maps, the gently caress.

I might be remembering wrong but TF2 launched with something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I might be remembering wrong but TF2 launched with something like that.

I actually checked out of curiosity and it was six maps; 2Fort, Granary, Well, Dustbowl, Gravel Pit and Hydro.

• Locked thread