Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The bed bolts are on the top not the bottom!??!

I have to pull the F250 bed this fall to repair the cross bracing. Should be easy with the welder and that they're on top. The bed has a liner.

Also good job on the inlet, those things are a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Safety Dance posted:

See if you can find a hackerspace / makerspace in your area. A good one is a good substitute for a garage/shed.

I do use one for big jobs when I need a chop saw or weld poo poo. It's a long drive out there and something like $25 to use the shop for a day, so I do what I can myself.

Adiabetic, tell me more about why torx are lovely. I thought they were *less* likely to strip than phillips?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Saying they're less likely to strip than phillips is like saying paint thinner has better nutritional value than chlorine gas.

When it's holding the bed of a truck down just use hex bolts.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

The bed bolts are on the top not the bottom!??!

I have to pull the F250 bed this fall to repair the cross bracing. Should be easy with the welder and that they're on top. The bed has a liner.

Also good job on the inlet, those things are a bitch.

Yeah I was all looking under the truck and he just points to the bed and I'm all :aaaaa:

As far as the inlet goes, the one large tube by the turbo (blow-off recirc) was a bitch to get off. It would've been easy if I had one of those cable operated hose clamp pliers. Should've bought one after that nightmare-fueled journey into VW catch-can hell. Gonna have to get me one now.

It was also a bitch to get back on because the Perrin inlet puts it right in the way of one of the boost sensors located under the intake manifold. They give you no choice but to janky-mount that sensor. It must be different on the WRX/STI or something, because I have zero idea why they'd relocate it to such a horrible spot otherwise.

You can see it's farther from the turbo inlet on the new one in this picture:

Aside from that, I just took the intake manifold bolts out for some wiggle room and the rest was a cakewalk.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 4, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Turbo inlets are one of the many reasons I am glad to no longer own a turbo Subaru. gently caress a whole shopping cart of that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's why I installed mine when I had the entire intake plenum off, made the job so much easier than trying to snake it under the intake runners :smug:

Still a poo poo job though, but the turbo noises are worth it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If the F150 is anything like the Ranger, they go into clip nuts anyways so the procedure is "mask off interior of truck bed AND REAR CAB WINDOW, apply grinder to bolt head until problem is solved" anyways.

Then you buy 45 bucks worth of new bed mounting bolts and clip nuts on rockauto and forget about it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Turbo inlets should now be easy-mode:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Turbo inlets should now be easy-mode:

Hahahaha.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You don't think so? The biggest problem I had with the previous one was getting pliers to that blow-off recirc hose clamp. Everything else was minor.

Should also be nice for when German spawns of Satan come for more oil catch cans.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Adiabatic posted:

Should also be nice for when German spawns of Satan come for more oil catch cans.

Those won't save you because after you gently remove the hose clamp the plastic pipe and hose will turn to dust.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Forester came in to replace what he suspected to be a bad up pipe gasket at the turbo:

He brought along a mechanic friend, and we got to about this point:

before I figured out I was happily not required for once. Stuck around to snap this picture:

Then I headed inside to drink their beer and occasionally glance out the window:

Yeah I dare say your poo poo's hosed:

Much better:

poo poo they even paid me well:

Yeah, I could get used to this.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Now you just need a liquor license, you can resell the beer for money!

Nice to see someone else mechanically inclined doing the work instead of you. I've fallen for that trap too many times, and now basically don't work on other people's cars unless I know they are capable.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Sounds like you need to get yourself a welder!

Since those torx bolts have a big rear end head, just lay a nut on top of the head and fill it with weld. The heat will help break them loose, and the welded nut will make it easy to apply torque.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

mafoose posted:

Sounds like you need to get yourself a welder!

Since those torx bolts have a big rear end head, just lay a nut on top of the head and fill it with weld. The heat will help break them loose, and the welded nut will make it easy to apply torque.

This was the best trick I ever learned. You can get lovely, stripped up bolts out of anything just by welding another bolt, or a nut, or whatever on top and using that to torque it out. Worked goddamn amazing for pulling hitch mounts out of rusted-rear end-trucks to replace them.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

~Just rusty bolt things~

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:stare:

I need a welder

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

I need a welder
Welders are really useful. They allow so many more ways to gently caress things up, and let you rationaise being able to fix even worse prospective project cars.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Welders are really useful. They allow so many more ways to gently caress things up, and let you rationaise being able to fix even worse prospective project cars.

For tiny jobs like welding a nut, just buy a welding electrode for less than :10bux:, bend the teeth of one of your jumper cable's clips to grip it, tape er up, attach your positive clip to the broken bolt or the thing its bolted to, connect your jumper cables to 3 car batteries wired in series, and git er done!

Detail of cable-electrode connection:

This sort of hillbilly welding is more useful for off-road emergency repairs or broke people without access to a shop or tools then it is for you, but if it takes a while to budget for a good MiG welder and something comes up you can do this. Of course, take care not to hurt yourself (wear a welding hood or goggles, dont leave your skin exposed) and don't do it on anything that will be harmed by having a lot of current flow through it.

You can improve the welder somewhat by adding an inductor(aka big coil of heavy wire) in series thusly: . You can make your own if you do not have one, it is a very simple electrical component.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 7, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

I need a welder

If you have a fleet farm near you, they regularly run sales on the Hobart Auto-Arc 130 for 350 bucks. But FWIW - the chinese welders aren't bad either. SiF uses one, and pretty much anything above 300 seems to be a decent machine. Bonus points if you have access to 220v, then get at least a 225-250 amp machine, you can build ships with it.

InitialDave posted:

Truth.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I run a real gear which is apparently a Lincoln knock off.

http://www.praxairdirect.com/Product1_10152_10051_65670_-1

It's great for body work and light fabrication. If I'm going to weld huge structural pieces or offroad bumpers gently caress that, but for doing terrible body work, installing mustang frame stiffeners, or doing a panhard bar, it's close enough.

I just jumped in head first to welding and it turned out okay. We aren't running it on anything more than a standard poo poo teir outlet either.

Lil' bit of welding, lil' bit of filler, lil' bit of paint, you can slam the car into stumps and be 'aight.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Is the old Lincoln or Miller SMAW buzzbox bought at a farm sale for $50 not a thing anymore? I mean, I understand that MIG is easier to learn than stick, but I personally find it hard to beat the value of old stick welders. They're super cheap, they never break, electrodes are cheap as hell, and if you learn electrode sizing and proper amperage control you can weld anything under the sun with them, from thin sheetmetal to structural steel. Only downside, they're 220V only.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You can get 110 inverters that do a pretty drat awesome job like the old buzz boxes.

But honestly mig is the best for auto body work. Never gently caress with getting an arc started... Just pull the trigger and go to town.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

rndmnmbr posted:

Only downside, they're 220V only.

Not if you weld with DC power! :science:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
What you do is you get a set of jumper cables, attach them to a battery, clamp the negative onto your work piece, and clamp a welding rod onto the positive, and bam you are set to start welding

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

rndmnmbr posted:

Is the old Lincoln or Miller SMAW buzzbox bought at a farm sale for $50 not a thing anymore? I mean, I understand that MIG is easier to learn than stick, but I personally find it hard to beat the value of old stick welders. They're super cheap, they never break, electrodes are cheap as hell, and if you learn electrode sizing and proper amperage control you can weld anything under the sun with them, from thin sheetmetal to structural steel. Only downside, they're 220V only.

Yeah, the Lincoln 'tombstones' as they're sometimes called are pretty legendary. My dad has one that HIS dad used to weld when he was a kid. It's heavy as gently caress too so it could also be used to inflict blunt force trauma in the event that you need to defend your home/garage :)

I've got a stick/tig everlast and while stick is definitely harder, it's nice that it's so much more portable since you don't need gas or to worry about wire feed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So many choices and I have zero clue what any of them mean :aaa:

Time to do some research. I don't plan on doing any serious welding projects; I'd just like to be able to weld a nut on in the event of a stripped bolt.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

So many choices and I have zero clue what any of them mean :aaa:

Time to do some research. I don't plan on doing any serious welding projects; I'd just like to be able to weld a nut on in the event of a stripped bolt.

For that a basic 110 stick would be plenty but a MIG would be better. Friend keeps a cheap Harbor Freight stick welder around for stuff like that so he doesn't have to setup the gas or anything else.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
For the every once in a while thing... 110 stick is plenty. But if you want to do any decent body work, mig is the only way to go.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Body work is in the same category as Darfur war orphans in my book. I have no idea where to begin to fix it, and thinking about it only makes me sad, therefore I repress the entire subject.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I hear people like DC stick welding...

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

I'm very happy with this little guy. I haven't practiced much welding thin stuff, but with 3/32" rod at full power I welded some 1/4" plate to finish a wood stove door. I picked up some HF 1/16" rods but haven't tried them yet. Buy an auto-darkening helmet too.

PS, works fine on my garage outlet, which is only 15 amps.

jailbait#3 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 8, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, forums user jailbait#3.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If you don't want to do body work then that little machine is drat good for the money. There's several YouTube videos on it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sorry for checking on this so late man, but is it still cool for me to come over this weekend to do the Fozzy suspension? I know it's mother's day weekend, wasn't sure if you had plans or anything for that.

I will of course provide you with gifts of beer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Sorry for checking on this so late man, but is it still cool for me to come over this weekend to do the Fozzy suspension? I know it's mother's day weekend, wasn't sure if you had plans or anything for that.

I will of course provide you with gifts of beer.

Just saw this... Next weekend?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Some wonderful folks from reddit came and picked up the Magna V4 yesterday!

In less words, one of them commented on how much we look like rednecks. :banjo: I'm sure it didn't help that my roommate had his shirt off at the time.

My roommate and I can't figure out why they'd say something so crass and obviously untrue.

Oh well, I reckon they're just some unfunny cityfolk, bein from reddit 'n all.

In other news, we were talkin this mornin and I realized I haven't given y'all a progress report on the backyard in a while.

Here's the A/C units they traded my roommate for the Magna, next to our state of the art grill:

The BMW is still in its normal space. Hasn't moved much aside from that time we pushed it out of the garage:

The Jeep's dash is still out, but that only turns it into a temporary couch. Expert viewers will spot our cousin Cleatus's house next to the garage:

Got a mighty nice parts collection goin in the back, too. There's gold in them thar heads:

Finally, here's progress on them old woodworkin tools: 0:

Y'all come back to this thread now, y'hear?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
So your room mate Is awesome. And was he wearing shoes in the shop? In every other picture you can tell he isn't and it sets up the redneck perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Some wonderful folks from reddit came and picked up the Magna V4 yesterday!

In less words, one of them commented on how much we look like rednecks. :banjo: I'm sure it didn't help that my roommate had his shirt off at the time.

My roommate and I can't figure out why they'd say something so crass and obviously untrue.

Oh well, I reckon they're just some unfunny cityfolk, bein from reddit 'n all.

In other news, we were talkin this mornin and I realized I haven't given y'all a progress report on the backyard in a while.

Here's the A/C units they traded my roommate for the Magna, next to our state of the art grill:

The BMW is still in its normal space. Hasn't moved much aside from that time we pushed it out of the garage:

The Jeep's dash is still out, but that only turns it into a temporary couch. Expert viewers will spot our cousin Cleatus's house next to the garage:

Got a mighty nice parts collection goin in the back, too. There's gold in them thar heads:

Finally, here's progress on them old woodworkin tools: 0:

Y'all come back to this thread now, y'hear?

THere's no place like home, there's no place like home :banjo: