Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I really liked the mako and I'm bummed it didn't make it into the other installments. Bioware should port it into Dragon Age Inquisition for old times sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The first Mass Effect is clunky as gently caress but it's still my favorite in the series. The sequels are streamlined to the point of being boring Gears of War clones and ends with a lovely ending.

Also, gently caress thermal clips forever. Way to gently caress with the games' universe Bioware. How the gently caress do you go from guns with unlimited ammo that need to cool down once in a while to guns essentially needing ammo and consider it a better design decision and make your characters think so too.

I should burn my N7 shirt. EA ruined Mass Effect. :arghfist::(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I did like the bit in ME3 where you're trying to explain how thermal clips work to a guy and he doesn't get it at all.

I also like the Mako. It's going to be back in some form in the next game, which is all I need to know tbh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

2house2fly posted:

I did like the bit in ME3 where you're trying to explain how thermal clips work to a guy and he doesn't get it at all.

It wasn't an explanation so much as Shepard saying "This is just how it works now".

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I also like the Mako. It's going to be back in some form in the next game, which is all I need to know tbh.

I liked Jacob's loyalty mission in ME2 because his dad apparently crashed landed 10 years before yet he has conspicuously modern technology (the thermal clips) which was invented only 2 years previously.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 17:10 on May 7, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was hoping far cry 4 would cut down on the laughably stupid bullshit since I liked the gameplay of 3 just fine and wanted that without the godawful story, so I started watching this video to see if it was any better (:nws: parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVW5APfSPDg

I was feeling pretty encouraged, the guy endlessly making cringeworthy analogies between guns and religion was not helping but the villain and the 2 people you can choose to side with seemed pretty good! Then I got to 53 minutes in.

Series might be irredeemable. Did they hire the same loving writer from 3 again because :wtc:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Mako owns.

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, gently caress thermal clips forever. Way to gently caress with the games' universe Bioware. How the gently caress do you go from guns with unlimited ammo that need to cool down once in a while to guns essentially needing ammo and consider it a better design decision and make your characters think so too.

Well, you see, it was discovered that, in an age of kinetic barriers, most firefights were won by the side who could put the most rounds downrange the fastest. As such, detachable heat sinks (known as thermal clips) were adopted first by the geth and shortly thereafter by organic arms manufacturers. :goonsay:

I can get why people don't like such a jarring change in ammo conservation. I think what would be cool would be to give all guns a relatively long cool down time but still give the option to just eject the thermal clip and keep firing with a new one. It might have appeased both camps of players? Then again, maybe they tried that in playtesting already and it didn't work out so well. Either way, I actually kind of prefer reloading guns rather than just shooting less frequently.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Supposedly they were going to go with that or something more like the Ghostbusters game where you build up heat and then either need to manually vent it, simulating a reload, or overheat and suffer for it. Then they changed it to thermal clips. :goleft:

What bugs me about thermal clips isn't the radical departure in the combat gameplay itself, but rather that ammo scavenging in Mass Effect is dumb, and ME2 was pretty bad about just dumping pockets of clips in random spots for you to find.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

2house2fly posted:

Don't forget that the guy you're trying to explain it to is Conrad Verner, king idiot of the series, and even he says thermal clips are a bad idea :allears:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Don't forget that the guy you're trying to explain it to is Conrad Verner, king idiot of the series, and even he says thermal clips are a bad idea :allears:

:thejoke:

That whole DLC was Bioware pandering to their fans in a desperate attempt at wringing the last few dollars from ME3's corpse. They even namedrop a few Goons from the ME threads

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I should...go?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I was hoping far cry 4 would cut down on the laughably stupid bullshit since I liked the gameplay of 3 just fine and wanted that without the godawful story, so I started watching this video to see if it was any better (:nws: parts)

I was feeling pretty encouraged, the guy endlessly making cringeworthy analogies between guns and religion was not helping but the villain and the 2 people you can choose to side with seemed pretty good! Then I got to 53 minutes in.

Series might be irredeemable. Did they hire the same loving writer from 3 again because :wtc:

FC4 handles its plot and cutscenes so fuckin strangely. The actual plot at its simplest is a perfect video game excuse plot: stumble into a civil war, get commandeered by the rebels, overthrow the evil empire, hooray go home! Except the game pushes all of these weird and kind of pointless... morality choices? on you. The two leaders of the rebel army, Amita and Sabal, are at odds and from time to time in the main quest you have to choose between doing a quest for Amita or Sabal, and the other one gets pissy at you. And I guess it's supposed to be one of those REALLY DEEP decisions because basically it boils down to turning Kyrat into a massive opium den (Amita's choice) or back to a traditionalist exploit-women-and-child-slavery state (Sabal's choice), except who loving cares? Aside from those cutscenes none of that poo poo ever matters or even comes up. But the cutscenes are really obnoxious because you can't skip them and there's inevitably a scene where the person you chose against rails into you for your short-sighted and stupid decision. It's just really intolerable and handled even worse than Bioware does, so the only thing that matters really is which of their missions sounds more appealing to you -- and not even those are consistent. It's not like Amita is the all-violence-all-the-time character and Sabal is the be-stealthy-and-steal-stuff character, they flip flop, so if you even wanted to be true to yourself from a play style position, it wouldn't line up.

Beyond that, literally every NPC besides Amita and Sabal is a bizarre, out of place caricature. The game is Borderlands-lite. Nothing in the actual game world is presented in any way other than straight-up seriously, but then almost every cutscene with a minor NPC is this surreal, snarky, self-referential experience. Except the writing is really bad so it's not at all funny or relevant. It is such a bizarre game in its total ineptitude, yet I can't stop playing it.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Probably because if you ripped all the story out of Farcry 4 you wouldn't care and immediately go back to planting C4 in the middle of a road and ambushing guys or riding an elephant through an outpost while firing a grenade launcher at people and wonder "glad this game doesn't have a dumb plot or anything to spoil this awesome gameplay."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The gameplay of FC4 is not honestly all that great, except for attacking outposts because that poo poo is super cool, and it's really neat that there's a menu option that lets you reset all outposts so you can capture them again.

e: Capturing outposts (and other attack-the-base style missions) remind me of why I really, really liked the original Far Cry that FC2-4 are otherwise not at all like.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Far Cry 4 has a perfectly serviceable story and it's completely inoffensive. Not spectacular, but not awful like Far Cry 3 in the slightest. It's actually quite good, especially the Pagan/Ishwari/Mohan triangle.

So you have to sit through like 15 minutes of boring rear end druggies. It's tolerable and it's a fantastic game.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Hunky Joe posted:

Probably because if you ripped all the story out of Farcry 4 you wouldn't care and immediately go back to planting C4 in the middle of a road and ambushing guys or riding an elephant through an outpost while firing a grenade launcher at people and wonder "glad this game doesn't have a dumb plot or anything to spoil this awesome gameplay."

Basically this. Far Cry 4 is tops for me because I can run around with 4 grenade launchers and carve a bloody swath from on foot or from the sky, which I have never been able to do before.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Starhawk64 posted:

Even worse was the combat set pieces. Tons of flat planes with waist high walls that can't possibly serve an ingame purpose except to hide behind and pop out of during firefights. It's been a while since I played the first game but I at least remember being able to hide behind a rock or something.

Also the loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2 made me feel like a highschool counselor. Everyones got dad issues except the guy who IS the dad issue.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Iron Rose posted:

Far Cry 4 has a perfectly serviceable story and it's completely inoffensive. Not spectacular, but not awful like Far Cry 3 in the slightest. It's actually quite good, especially the Pagan/Ishwari/Mohan triangle.

So you have to sit through like 15 minutes of boring rear end druggies. It's tolerable and it's a fantastic game.

Every piece of the FC4 story is really bad. It's not "white jesus saves the brown people" offensive like FC3 but it's really bad.

Every character is completely unlikable, and the main character's motives make absolutely no sense.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's fundamentally bad, yeah.

And if you could skip the cutscenes it wouldn't be an issue at all because the story has no impact or weight in the gameplay whatsoever. But you can't skip the cutscenes, so it sucks.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

kazil posted:

Every piece of the FC4 story is really bad. It's not "white jesus saves the brown people" offensive like FC3 but it's really bad.

Every character is completely unlikable, and the main character's motives make absolutely no sense.

That was my favorite/least favorite part of FC3: being a rich white boy with a tribal tattoo made you some kind of badass in universe instead of a douchebag.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

It's fundamentally bad, yeah.

And if you could skip the cutscenes it wouldn't be an issue at all because the story has no impact or weight in the gameplay whatsoever. But you can't skip the cutscenes, so it sucks.

The cutscenes being unskippable is seriously the only thing preventing me from getting it. It's such an unbelievably dumb flaw to leave in a game released in anno domini 2014. Far cry 2 doesn't really have cutscenes to speak of, just very brief dialogue when you get your missions, and those objectives have you doing pretty much the same thing as the regular gameplay anyway so there's nothing to obstruct you from just doing open world things in an open world game. I don't know why that was considered a bad thing and changed for FC3, but the crime is that they did it again. I wish I could say unskippable cutscenes are a petty reason to skip it, but those full movie videos are over two hours long so that is a lot of the story bullshit to endure every playthrough.

Are there any mods that let you basically play all the world content without having to touch the missions? Far cry 3 had a couple like that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The cutscenes being unskippable is seriously the only thing preventing me from getting it. It's such an unbelievably dumb flaw to leave in a game released in anno domini 2014. Far cry 2 doesn't really have cutscenes to speak of, just very brief dialogue when you get your missions, and those objectives have you doing pretty much the same thing as the regular gameplay anyway so there's nothing to obstruct you from just doing open world things in an open world game. I don't know why that was considered a bad thing and changed for FC3, but the crime is that they did it again. I wish I could say unskippable cutscenes are a petty reason to skip it, but those full movie videos are over two hours long so that is a lot of the story bullshit to endure every playthrough.

Are there any mods that let you basically play all the world content without having to touch the missions? Far cry 3 had a couple like that.

The game is really loving long and in practice, the cutscenes don't take up that much of it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

kazil posted:

actually the story was good

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
My only problem with the story is what others said: why does Ajay fight? They didn't poor job of "Well you fight or die essentially" which was fairly lazy. It could have been done a bit better like you walk to the first town and a guy tosses a gun at you and you whine as always about oh boo hoo my mommy is dead and some guy says if you don't use that gun you'll join her.

Pow. I have a reason to kill bad guys besides the player being a maniacal rear end in a top hat. Bring on the elephants and honey badgers. Well gently caress honey badgers but being 'em on!

Then again I also enjoyed Longinus an wished there was more of his insanity. I did hate the druggie missions but some were at least fun. Shangri-La I found fun too though so that's probably my bad opinion leaking through.

Honestly all the game needed was character development. Just a little. Why was Longinus after those diamonds? Guilty conscience from the past? It was never really explained and you had to infer through cut scenes. The problem is most FPS games are always weak in the story department because you either sit through dozens and dozens of boring cut scenes or hunt down tapes/records/etc for "story"

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Hunky Joe posted:

The problem is most FPS games are always weak in the story department because you either sit through dozens and dozens of boring cut scenes or hunt down tapes/records/etc for "story"

I've given up on caring about stories in video games in general. Most of them just aren't worth the price of admission, even the "good ones", and now all I care for is gameplay. But, of course, this only started happening to me once every game company decided they have to put more emphasis on story instead. I just want to play games that require some degree of skill, and not some lame-rear end drama in a zombie apocalypse, or a point-n-click adventure game.

Also, the current indie trend now seems to be ripping off minecraft for some reason. It seems like every time I log onto Steam there's another 10 survival sandbox games with crafting and hunger mechanics and BUILD YOUR OWN MMO HOUSE in early access begging me to press "Not Interested."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mildly Amusing posted:

I've given up on caring about stories in video games in general. Most of them just aren't worth the price of admission, even the "good ones", and now all I care for is gameplay. But, of course, this only started happening to me once every game company decided they have to put more emphasis on story instead. I just want to play games that require some degree of skill, and not some lame-rear end drama in a zombie apocalypse, or a point-n-click adventure game.

Also, the current indie trend now seems to be ripping off minecraft for some reason. It seems like every time I log onto Steam there's another 10 survival sandbox games with crafting and hunger mechanics and BUILD YOUR OWN MMO HOUSE in early access begging me to press "Not Interested."

The combination of sandbox crafting and zombie survival left me so stunningly disinterested in H1Z1 that it's mindblowing. Also I watched a stream of it and it looks so poo poo it's hysterical.

Figures that now a bunch of EVE players want to raid it :cawg:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Amorphous Blob posted:

Even worse was the combat set pieces. Tons of flat planes with waist high walls that can't possibly serve an ingame purpose except to hide behind and pop out of during firefights. It's been a while since I played the first game but I at least remember being able to hide behind a rock or something.

Also the loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2 made me feel like a highschool counselor. Everyones got dad issues except the guy who IS the dad issue.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Mildly Amusing posted:

This. So much. And honestly system shock 2 did it in the best and least intrusive way possible. AUDIO LOGS

It does not interrupt gameplay! Endless amount of exposition suddenly gets enjoyable when i can play at the same time.

Just please modern fps games, please give me an actual space to navigate around in!

Remember when the level designers of old worked with brushes and textures? Instead of imported models and flow charts? gently caress it does anyone care about level desigm anymore? The id team's level designers actually studied lots of Architechture.

Please just plink me down outside a loving building and let me work my way in at my own pace. Put some guards or whatever just no more setpieces/corridors.

And open world games are universally generic in their randomness and 'emergent gameplay' is dead.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What exactly is "emergent gameplay" supposed to be besides a buzzword, anyway? Also nice grandpa post there, grandpa. :corsair:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Maybe your problem is that you're watching a literal hour of cutscenes shorn of context on YouTube instead of just playing the drat game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RyokoTK posted:

Can I play SR4 without playing the previous games and still enjoy the full Saints Row Experience?

I'm late for this, but people kept giving you the wrong answer.

4 was the first I played, and it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. Just start the game acknowledging that you're not going to know everyone's backstory, and you're entirely able to enjoy SR4's own story.

When they make references to past events that you don't know about, all it really does is make you want to go back and experience them - which in my opinion is not a bad way to experience most series. Even when I didn't know all the details of character arcs, the game did a good job of hinting it at me. Like, one character comes in contact with a version of themselves from the past; and it easily could've been super confusing. But they tell you enough to have a good idea what's going on.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Looking back I'm surprised that they didn't do their own version of the Mass Effect codex both to continue the trend of taking the piss out of those games and to give background info to people who aren't familiar with an Xbox 360 game from nine years ago that never got a re-release.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

RyokoTK posted:

What exactly is "emergent gameplay" supposed to be besides a buzzword, anyway? Also nice grandpa post there, grandpa. :corsair:

Exactly. All new games are terrible(not dark souls1, demons souls and bloodborne). I have spoken.

I just want a loving building to clear out. No open world poo poo, no setpieces, it dpesnt have to be on fire and blowing up. Just a drat building.

And i am seriously starting to believe that the step away from brushes to 3d models in level design is a straight up art-killer, just complete poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

... so don't act like this was an exception.

Not to be a total dick, but I'm still going to treat that boss it as a dragging-the-game-down exception because of the things I pointed out. I'm significantly past the boss in question, now, and I've still had nothing compatible, difficulty-wise, show up in the game. There's even been a boss that summons other monsters, but faith and begorrah said boss lacks the reduces-damage trait and doesn't throw your squad around, and doesn't remove two of your fighters from play.

John Murdoch posted:

Supposedly they were going to go with that or something more like the Ghostbusters game where you build up heat and then either need to manually vent it, simulating a reload, or overheat and suffer for it. Then they changed it to thermal clips. :goleft:

I heard it told differently: they were going to use a clip system AND the old system. You could fire to your hearts content and either wait for it to cool down manually, or pop a clip to immediately cool down the item. Problem is, it made the game too damned easy, so they removed the Old System entirely.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Exactly. All new games are terrible(not dark souls1, demons souls and bloodborne). I have spoken.

Taint reaped again!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Amorphous Blob posted:

That was my favorite/least favorite part of FC3: being a rich white boy with a tribal tattoo made you some kind of badass in universe instead of a douchebag.

Dude, have you seen the Rakyat try to fight? Anyone who can kill a dingo in less than 5 AK-47 clips is a fuckin' hero because they sure can't.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I know this is like the tiniest of all possible nitpicks but I really don't like that ever since Shogun II, the Total War games have had their titles formatted like "Total War: [GAME NAME]" instead of "[GAME NAME]: Total War." The old way sounded better and I keep looking for Attila: Total War at the top of my Steam library instead of Total War: Attila at the bottom :saddowns:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Amorphous Blob posted:

Even if you don't buy that the game was taking the piss out of the idea it's still better than FC2's story of a cool white mercenary rolling into town and solving an entire country's problems with guns and blood diamonds in between rushed monologues by a shameless Kurtz knockoff.

That's another thing FC3 had over FC2, its Alice in Wonderland inspiration was limited to some quotes in the opening cutscene and some mushroom-induced drug trips while FC2 made really super sure that you were aware that they were paying homage to Heart of Darkness at every opportunity.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Even if you don't buy that the game was taking the piss out of the idea it's still better than FC2's story of a cool white mercenary rolling into town and solving an entire country's problems with guns and blood diamonds in between rushed monologues by a shameless Kurtz knockoff.

You didn't have to be a white character in FC2, and the game at no point even pretends you're solving a single thing. The guy you're supposed to kill even compares you to a cancer that has to be cut out for anything to change, which is why it ends with you killing yourself, because you're beyond redemption and deserve no better. I can't think of anything else I've played that so accurately recognizes what a horrible piece of poo poo you are for everything you do as part of the regular gameplay (although I watched an LP of spec ops and that game did it too).

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 02:15 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sleeveless posted:

That's another thing FC3 had over FC2, its Alice in Wonderland inspiration was limited to some quotes in the opening cutscene and some mushroom-induced drug trips while FC2 made really super sure that you were aware that they were paying homage to Heart of Darkness at every opportunity.

The Alice in Wonderland stuff went further, follow the man in white for example, or Bucks initially ambiguous, mischievous presence and proclivity to appear and disappear in unlikely situations while sending the PC on a confusing journey he fills with mind games.

khwarezm has a new favorite as of 02:40 on May 8, 2015