Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Uhh, I don't know what you meant to say here, but that doesn't make sense. Calling something petty escapism heavily implies that there exists non-petty escapism from which it is distinct. Otherwise, he'd just call it escapism.

Yeah, I could have stated that better and I'd agree with your interpretation if we just had that isolated line to go by. I felt in the post as a whole though, he was making a strong distinction between work that relates to the real world that has meaning that he finds valuable, and work that avoids dealing with the real world that he finds not valuable. That latter definition sounds like escapism to me and his opinion of it is very negative. So given that, I don't think he meant to suggest that non-petty escapism exists as he views any work that isn't grounded in the real world as not worthwhile. So I think it is more likely he is using petty to emphasize his dislike for that kind of writing, and not to suggest that non-petty escapism exists in his eyes. Though I could very easily be wrong, so who knows.

But that wouldn't be suggested by the line itself, so I shouldn't have typed it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

What exactly is the controversy here? Calling escapism petty isn't exactly a revolutionary view.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nah, my thing is because Dragonlance is taking too long to produce more sequals to Kang's Regiment and I want more, but instead of writing fanfiction I'll write something I can try to publish instead.

50 Shades of Raistlin?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Colonial Air Force posted:

50 Shades of Raistlin?

Raistlin isn't the only cool character to exist in that setting.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

Soth was always cooler. I was pretty excited in OotS when Xykon made up a bunch of wannabe Soths for the assault on Azure City.

Edit: Actually, he made Xykon clones. I think one was a death knight? Now I have to go read all that again.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 6, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

rocketrobot posted:

Soth was always cooler. I was pretty excited in OotS when Xykon made up a bunch of wannabe Soths for the assault on Azure City.

Edit: Actually, he made Xykon clones. I think one was a death knight? Now I have to go read all that again.

They're more or less fulfill the same sort of role Soth does in being a Death Knight but one certainly was. In that they were nigh unstoppable undead killing machines.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Raenir Salazar posted:

First one I could remember.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Raenir Salazar posted:

They're more or less fulfill the same sort of role Soth does in being a Death Knight but one certainly was. In that they were nigh unstoppable undead killing machines.
THEN LET THE REAPING BEGIN!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

:siren:New Comic!:siren:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Always good to see more Mama Thundershield.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nice to see the dwarves are so progressive.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cabbit posted:

I dunno, that's a pretty American-style healthcare system.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Stop the Odincare death panels!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You'd think he could've sent the cost home. He's been wealthy enough for ages.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Kajeesus posted:

Uhh, I don't know what you meant to say here, but that doesn't make sense. Calling something petty escapism heavily implies that there exists non-petty escapism from which it is distinct. Otherwise, he'd just call it escapism.

The opposite of petty escapism is great escapism, as practiced by Steve McQueen.

So, when Durkon was a kid, the only dwarven cleric who was high-level enough to restore limbs (and hence to cast Resurrection) was the High Priest of Odin. And we know that guy is dead. We also know that, barring the odd Hilgya, these dwarves don't like to leave their comfortable society and go out on adventures. So it seems likely that none of the other priests have leveled up enough to cast Resurrection in the intervening period. They're gonna get to the dwarven homeland, and nobody will be able to rez Durkon. At least, nobody who's not Redcloak...

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Former linear-guild lokicleric possibly could, being not QUITE durkon's rival but close enough that she might just get to be the same level as him, and also COULD have the motive to not want an evil spirit going around in a guy she kind of liked's body. But then again she also might not want to off her god's daughter's only high level priest.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
She worshiped Loki, not Hel.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
What part of "lokicleric" makes it seem like I think she worship's Hel?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

She worshiped Loki, not Hel.

reignonyourparade posted:

Former linear-guild lokicleric possibly could, being not QUITE durkon's rival but close enough that she might just get to be the same level as him, and also COULD have the motive to not want an evil spirit going around in a guy she kind of liked's body. But then again she also might not want to off her god's daughter's only high level priest.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
EDIT: Beaten multiple times.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's why he said daughter.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, I missed that. Don't think that will be a big deal though, if Norse/Northern gods act anything like Greek ones do. And even beyond that loving around with a relative seems like something that Loki would be okay with.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The opposite of petty escapism is great escapism, as practiced by Steve McQueen.

So, when Durkon was a kid, the only dwarven cleric who was high-level enough to restore limbs (and hence to cast Resurrection) was the High Priest of Odin. And we know that guy is dead. We also know that, barring the odd Hilgya, these dwarves don't like to leave their comfortable society and go out on adventures. So it seems likely that none of the other priests have leveled up enough to cast Resurrection in the intervening period. They're gonna get to the dwarven homeland, and nobody will be able to rez Durkon. At least, nobody who's not Redcloak...

I think your over thinking it, it's likely the next High Priest got the remaining levels to act as High Priest 'off panel' and so on.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ponsonby Britt posted:

They could always phone up that resurrection service the Oracle uses.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's weird to see Durkon getting his character actually fleshed out this late in the game and postmortem, but I like it. Dwarven society seems pretty terrible, too. Maybe bringing death and destruction to it won't be such a bad thing.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The whole "pay ridiculous amounts of money to priests for vital spells" has always been something that D&D settings struggle to deal with.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Colonel Cool posted:

The whole "pay ridiculous amounts of money to priests for vital spells" has always been something that D&D settings struggle to deal with.

How it's supposed to be is that typically the Church gains a tithe, and that tithe pays for 80% of services to the local village/town/seigneurie.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cool posted:

I always figured that was just a "foreigner adventurer bullshit is not covered by the church" thing. I don't remember anything in the rules specifying that normal people are paying these kinds of rates for spells.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I guess if there's only one cleric in the Dwarven lands high enough level to cast level 7 cleric spells, he might have enough legitimate uses of that spell slot every day that a peasant's missing arm wouldn't make it up the list on its own. If the church only has a few casts of Regenerate, Raise Dead, Resurrection and so on to ration out then selling those services at exorbitant rates could give the church enough gold to do far more mundane, temporal good like running poor houses, orphanages and conventional hospitals.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

I like that Thor's version of Sunday School happens on Thursdays :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I always figured that was just a "foreigner adventurer bullshit is not covered by the church" thing. I don't remember anything in the rules specifying that normal people are paying these kinds of rates for spells.

Priest: "So, when was the last time you went to confession?"
Adventurer: "Oh, well, just last week."
Priest: "Where?"
Adventurer: "It was in... uh... this town you wouldn't have heard of."
Priest: "Look, just donate a new baptismal font and I'll stop the bleeding."
Adventurer: "Deal."

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Cabbit posted:

I agree but moreso for the 'lass or lad' statement than the rest of it.

Dwarves have no social stigmas against gays.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sefer posted:

I like that Thor's version of Sunday School happens on Thursdays :)

A missed chance to just straight up call it Thorsday.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Three updates in a short while. Is Rich okay? :ohdear:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

nimby posted:

A missed chance to just straight up call it Thorsday.

Why do you think Thursday is called Thursday?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

khy posted:

That's what I was referring to. Makes me wonder if I missed something else!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

This rapid update cycle has me very disoriented.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

khy posted:

That's not exactly progressive though. Has there been any stigma against gays shown on the comic, hell even Miko wasn't taken aback when two female paladins hurriedly made plans with each other rather than spend new years with her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it may be homophobia simply isn't a concept in the OotS world and gay people are just an accepted fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's less that the OotS world is a certain way and more that Rich is not-too-subtly making a point, as well as trying to make up for the girdle of gender swapping arc and that early strip where everyone was leering at Haley.