Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Eh how many different times can you double dip the progressive taxation angle?

"Here's your subsidized loan. Make the most of our investment in you because you have to pay it back" is more efficient, more fair, and less likely to result in people dicking around after an expensive education.

So how often do you gently caress watermelons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Is kindergarten a Wal-Mart subsidy?

i believe if you read between the lines you will be able to extrapolate my positions on childcare from taht post

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

paranoid randroid posted:

i believe if you read between the lines you will be able to extrapolate my positions on childcare from taht post

So yes. I disagree.

I think the fact that we provide education and possibly food to 5 year olds has nothing to do with corporate entity Wal-Mart whatsoever and it's bizarre to suggest that it does.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

asdf32 posted:

So yes. I disagree.

I think the fact that we provide education and possibly food to 5 year olds has nothing to do with corporate entity Wal-Mart whatsoever and it's bizarre to suggest that it does.

Let the record show that asdf32 still refuses to confirm or deny that he has, in fact, hosed a watermelon.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

So yes. I disagree.

I bet you laughed uncontrollably while you were writing this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

asdf32 posted:

So yes. I disagree.

see i was driving at a joke about sacrificing babies and you decided to keep plowing on as if we are actually having discourse here

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

So yes. I disagree.

So you agree that education and food should be free, comrade.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

"Here's your subsidized loan. Make the most of our investment in you because you have to pay it back" is more efficient

Education and knowledge is valuable in of itself, or atleast ought to be treated that way to produce the best returns.

quote:

more fair

Well no, what's more fair is free education for everybody.

quote:

and less likely to result in people dicking around after an expensive education.

Do you think people do that now? That they come out of education and think 'welp that's me done cba with a job and money and a house and all that crap'.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I think having cheaper state/community colleges with free scholarships for qualified students is a good all around solution. It would also have the effect of driving down inflated private school tuition through competition.

Alongside this loans should lose their bankrupcy exemption which will drive up rates, but will force lenders to evaluate actual results That puts more pressure on tuition and school performance/graduation rates.

Its important to remember that education, alongside healthcare and housing are major culprits eroding standards of living.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We ready have bankruptcy for student loans it's called IBr

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

"Here's your subsidized loan. Make the most of our investment in you because you have to pay it back" is more efficient, more fair, and less likely to result in people dicking around after an expensive education.

It's not really any of those things.

It's not more efficient because you have to have a fuckload of additional infrastructure to deal with student loans. That's countless dollars wasted on determining aid eligibility, aid amount, dealing with loan repayment and potentially deferment, etc. Relying on an income tax and simply making public universities free for everyone greatly simplifies the problem because you rely on already existing systems

It's not more fair because the current system puts extreme financial burdens on students who probably can't predict the future. Job markets can shift considerably over 5 years, and two equally performing students with equal income and employment expectations may graduate with considerably different employment and income opportunities. The job market is completely beyond the control of individual students, and it's inherently unfair for a student to be hosed over by a bunch of education debt while graduating in the middle of a recession. Rather than charging based on expected income, we should charge based on actual income, and the simplest way of doing that is with progressive taxation.

It doesn't really cut down on "dicking around after graduation", there is no precedent of this occurring more often in places where education is free vs the US. You pulled this idea from your rear end.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Medicaid, pell grants, subsidized student loans forgiven after 10 years on income based repayment. Hmm.

It has historically always sucked to be poor (citation needed, I know). But I posit it sucks a lot less than it ever has.

So the reason it doesn't suck as much to be poor as it used to under capitalism...is because of deviations from capitalism?

wateroverfire posted:

Oh well if our basic assumption is that any 18-year-old kid can unerringly predict the specifics of the economy and job market 4-10 years out, then we don't need student loans at all, they can buy whatever education they want on the incredible returns from their stockpicking financial wizardry.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 7, 2015

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Effectronica posted:

Maybe we can find this middle ground by destroying the inferior white race.

A reply to this and also the "fix the left" thread: one way we can augment the comintern is by tweeking the dialogue surrounding awareness-raising from one that has connotations of guilt that can leave people stymied over how they should react ("check your privilege") to an encouraging one that suggests positive action ("know your advantages... and use them for good in ways other people can't!!!") An example of this would be my earlier post itt:

Rodatose posted:

See, if I were to be emotional, I would resist this. But my pragmatic side says that, perhaps it would be good if the white man were allowed to disappear from the earth and I will even volunteer for this cause if I were allowed to join in the fun, enlisted as a member of the White Suicide Squad that does the missions no one else will do, like jumping cars off ramps into White Country Club Rallies, or infiltrating the heavily guarded Whitesphere (where the white agenda is set)

Here, we see that there are some situations where white race traitors of the left have the advantage over the leftists of pure asiatic descent* in that they can act as agent provocateurs in the ranks of the right white loyalists, who initially suspect racial minorities but implicitly trust whites whether they uphold the yakubian ideal or not.

I also am a wild driver, who can jump car off ramp, which is something other people do not have the luck to be knowing of

*to those who don't know, the Yakub history holds that africans are of asiatic descent; I don't know what it says about latino, pacific islander or first nation peoples

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I was surprised that big time tv censors allowed the makers of the teenage mutant ninja turtles to show portrayals of the Technodrome, because that's uncannily close to what the Whitesphere looks like

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't believe you started law school in 2005. Didn't you predict the timing of the housing bubble collapse and the resulting recession that slammed the door in the faces of new graduates? Why didn't you spend that time taking a massive short position in AIG and Citigroup?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Why didn't you pay for your college by posting with pay-per-post rates like these

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Someone mentioned raising the min wage to median?

I can't imagine the chaos that would erupt if that happened in Australia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thehomemaster posted:

Someone mentioned raising the min wage to median?

This would only be ~$20/hour for the US incidentally.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

computer parts posted:

This would only be ~$20/hour for the US incidentally.

$17.09/hour for all occupations, as of May 2014 according to BLS

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

So the reason it doesn't suck as much to be poor as it used to under capitalism...is because of deviations from capitalism?

That stuff isn't incompatible with capitalism, though? Capitalism is just an ownership relation.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh well if our basic assumption is that any 18-year-old kid can unerringly predict the specifics of the economy and job market 4-10 years out, then we don't need student loans at all, they can buy whatever education they want on the incredible returns from their stockpicking financial wizardry.

You get your training then you adapt and overcome, bro. No one can guarantee your future in a world where they have no control over your choices.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

You get your training then you adapt and overcome, bro. No one can guarantee your future in a world where they have no control over your choices.

In a world of plenty, only the strongest shall survive.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

In a world of plenty, only the strongest shall survive.

There are no guarantees in this world where we can't provide everything for everybody.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

There are no guarantees in this world where we can't provide everything for everybody.

You can't provide everything therefore you should provide nothing.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

This may as well be a quote from a British PM that you'd find in Late Victorian Holocausts.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
If poors didn't want to be poor they should not have chosen: to be black, to be born poor, to be beat as a child, to be raped by their uncle, to have a congenital defect, to get cancer, etc. etc. When it all comes down to it, they have only themselves and their poor decisions to blame.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

archangelwar posted:

If poors didn't want to be poor they should not have chosen: to be black, to be born poor, to be beat as a child, to be raped by their uncle, to have a congenital defect, to get cancer, etc. etc. When it all comes down to it, they have only themselves and their poor decisions to blame.

Truth.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
“Workers ought not to be exclusively absorbed in these unavoidable guerilla fights incessantly springing up from the never ceasing encroachments of capital or changes of the market. They ought to understand that, with all the miseries it imposes upon them, the present system simultaneously engenders the material conditions and the social forms necessary for an economical reconstruction of society. Instead of the conservative motto, ‘A fair day's wage for a fair day's work!’ they ought to inscribe on their banner the revolutionary watchword, ‘Abolition of the wages system!’”- Marx, Value, Price and Profit

asdf32
May 15, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

Well first world countries sort of can in a strictly economic sense. Poor countries are a different story.

Though a caveat is that poverty is more than economics at this point. Welfare spending in the US currently stands at ~14k per person in poverty (and has only ever generally increased). Clearly money isn't the whole picture.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
It's really a blessing that America will never see a $15 minimum wage anytime soon. Sure it's changing everyday but it's still are still the most economically free developed nation in the world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Though a caveat is that poverty is more than economics at this point. Welfare spending in the US currently stands at ~14k per person in poverty (and has only ever generally increased). Clearly money isn't the whole picture.

What do you mean by "welfare spending"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shayu posted:

It's really a blessing that America will never see a $15 minimum wage anytime soon. Sure it's changing everyday but it's still are still the most economically free developed nation in the world.

Both rich and poor alike are free to work for starvation wages :patriot:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shayu posted:

2013 Inequality-adjusted HDI (IHDI) (2014 report)[5]
Rank Country IHDI
1 Norway 0.891
2 Australia 0.860
3 Netherlands 0.854
4 Switzerland 0.847
5 Germany 0.846
6 Iceland 0.843
7 Sweden 0.840
8 Denmark 0.838
9 Canada 0.833
10 Ireland 0.832
11 Finland 0.830
12 Slovenia 0.824
13 Austria 0.818
14 Luxembourg 0.814
15 Czech Republic 0.813
16 United Kingdom 0.812
17 Belgium 0.806
18 France 0.804
19 Japan 0.799
20 Israel 0.793
21 Slovakia 0.778
22 Spain 0.775
23 Italy 0.768
24 Estonia 0.767
25 Greece 0.762
26 Malta 0.760
27 Hungary 0.757
28 United States 0.755

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tezzor posted:

2013 Inequality-adjusted HDI (IHDI) (2014 report)[5]
Rank Country IHDI
1 Norway 0.891
2 Australia 0.860
3 Netherlands 0.854
4 Switzerland 0.847
5 Germany 0.846
6 Iceland 0.843
7 Sweden 0.840
8 Denmark 0.838
9 Canada 0.833
10 Ireland 0.832
11 Finland 0.830
12 Slovenia 0.824
13 Austria 0.818
14 Luxembourg 0.814
15 Czech Republic 0.813
16 United Kingdom 0.812
17 Belgium 0.806
18 France 0.804
19 Japan 0.799
20 Israel 0.793
21 Slovakia 0.778
22 Spain 0.775
23 Italy 0.768
24 Estonia 0.767
25 Greece 0.762
26 Malta 0.760
27 Hungary 0.757
28 United States 0.755

Hmm what happens when we decide we're not so ideologically committed to hating inequality that we have to assert everything is terrible unless people are economically equal..

United Nations 2014 Human Development Index, unadjusted posted:

1 Norway 0.944
2 Australia 0.933
3 Switzerland 0.917
4 Netherlands 0.915
5 United States 0.914
6 Germany 0.911

Well I never. A very high level of human development indeed.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

You can't provide everything therefore you should provide nothing.

Nothing. Definitely what is available from the public purse to poor people in the developed world today.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

What do you mean by "welfare spending"

I think this is a good source though I'm not positive. I'm also not positive that sharply dividing on the poverty rate is ideal. Though certainly it's iseful to relate spending to the number of poor people.

http://federalsafetynet.com/poverty-and-spending-over-the-years.html

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

wateroverfire posted:

Hmm what happens when we decide we're not so ideologically committed to hating inequality that we have to assert everything is terrible unless people are economically equal..

Well I never. A very high level of human development indeed.

"yes the unadjusted data is very favorable to my viewpoint so i'll use that instead!"

e:

quote:

In the 2010 Human Development Report a further Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index (IHDI) was introduced. While the simple HDI remains useful, it stated that "the IHDI is the actual level of human development (accounting for inequality)" and "the HDI can be viewed as an index of “potential” human development (or the maximum IHDI that could be achieved if there were no inequality)".[2]

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 7, 2015

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

Nothing. Definitely what is available from the public purse to poor people in the developed world today.

The public purse you have vocally opposed. You are the one who used the language "no guarantees."

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
why are you people legitimately arguing with others whose position is literally "gently caress the poor" an d are linking to milton friedman hobbyist websites

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

RBC posted:

why are you people legitimately arguing with others whose position is literally "gently caress the poor" an d are linking to milton friedman hobbyist websites

If a country has a soccer team then its people aren't truly starving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

asdf32 posted:

I think this is a good source though I'm not positive. I'm also not positive that sharply dividing on the poverty rate is ideal. Though certainly it's iseful to relate spending to the number of poor people.

http://federalsafetynet.com/poverty-and-spending-over-the-years.html

Omg your source is so hilarious

They are including medicaid hahahah!!!

• Locked thread