Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Lifetip: don't say "actually, I am an expert" even if its true. (I probably wouldn't put Enduring Scalelords in my deck even if I was playing G/W)

In other news:

20 minute Vice piece on Magic: the Gathering is up here: http://www.vice.com/video/the-mystical-universe-of-magic-the-gathering-000

I don't know why they needed the random background guys to play with unsleeved beta Volcanic Islands. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
to be fair what else are you supposed to say. "actually i'm cuneo" is soooo boring

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Of course they feature the worst card shop on Long Island in the Vice Magic documentary.

http://www.vice.com/video/the-mystical-universe-of-magic-the-gathering-000

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sunforger is one of my favorite cards ever, flavortown USA

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Lifetip: don't say "actually, I am an expert" even if its true. (I probably wouldn't put Enduring Scalelords in my deck even if I was playing G/W)

is that your expert opinion tho

like are you a reliable expert witness in this case

Gyshall posted:

Sunforger is one of my favorite cards ever, flavortown USA

:agreed:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 7, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

Lifetip: don't say "actually, I am an expert" even if its true.

I think it was an absolutely fair response from a guy who consistently cashes PTs.

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead

Starving Autist posted:

I think it was an absolutely fair response from a guy who consistently cashes PTs.

"I'd be happy to stop contradicting you, JouNick - just as soon as you stop being a scrub."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

On the subject of documentary television about magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqXfq4sZe8

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

WyvernSlayer posted:

"I'd be happy to stop contradicting you, JouNick - just as soon as you stop being a scrub."

Gainsay, more like :goonsay:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haha the Italian guy describing his Stax deck like a mafioso. "All I can say is... it's like a Boa Constrictor... sucking the life of of you..."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

odiv posted:

On the subject of documentary television about magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqXfq4sZe8

I wish that show wasn't fake as gently caress. :smith:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Paulo Vitor posted:

Well, to be frank, the deck got a top 4 in a tournament that had about 50 people in it - which is fine, but means absolutely nothing regarding the quality of the deck. Flores has a habit of self-promoting too much and saying all his decks are great when they are unplayable, so the fact that he likes it also doesn't mean anything, and listening to him talking about the deck he played is also pointless because I know that, no matter what, he's going to say it's great.

:laffo:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

PV posted:

Well, to be frank, the deck got a top 4 in a tournament that had about 50 people in it - which is fine, but means absolutely nothing regarding the quality of the deck. Flores has a habit of self-promoting too much and saying all his decks are great when they are unplayable, so the fact that he likes it also doesn't mean anything, and listening to him talking about the deck he played is also pointless because I know that, no matter what, he's going to say it's great.

I mean once you've talked up Naya Lightsaber you're the guy that talked up Naya Lightsaber not the Who's the Beatdown Guy.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Paulo continually shows himself to be awesome. His response to this article from Anthony Lowry http://www.starcitygames.com/article/30717_Burnout-Paradise.html was also really well thought out, and a better article in and of itself than the one written by Anthony.

PVDDR posted:

Hey Anthony,

I know I barely know you and I'm coming here with random advice that you didn't really ask for, so feel free to ignore me if you want, because I could just be completely wrong about you. That said...

I agree that your results don't define you - they don't define you as a person and they don't define you as a Magic player. As a successful competitive Magic player, however, they kinda do.

Imagine I'm average at cooking chicken - sometimes it turns out awesome, sometimes it's not good. That does not define me as a person, it doesn't even define me as a cook. I am not a lesser person in any way because my chicken is rarely great. If I want to write a book about chickens, then I can go ahead and do that. If I want to write a book about cooking, then I can also do that. If I want to write about "different ways of cooking chicken", or "adventures of a cook", then that's also fine. If I want to write about "how to cook the best chicken you've ever had", however, then it IS important that I have a good history of cooking great chicken.

There are many different worlds for a Magic player - one of them is the successful, competitive player. This seems to be the world you've chosen - or the world you've chosen to aspire for. This is the only Magic world in which your results will, in big part, define you. This is the one Magic world in which, barring exceptions, it's better to play a better deck, it's better to not write about the deck you're playing the day before the tournament, and so on. I think this is a recurring theme in your writing (either here or on facebook / twitter) and that's because there's a conflict between the profile you want to be and the way you want to do things. You want to do X and be perceived as Y, but to be perceived as Y, then you need to do Y. If you want people to see you as a great player and a great competitive/successful writer, then you need to be successful, that's just the way it is and it's not going to change because it makes sense. If you don't care whether people perceive you this way, then it's irrelevant, but from the number of times this topic comes up, it seems like you do care.

Now, I'm not saying you aren't part of this world, or that you can't become part of this world. What I'm saying is that, choosing this for your "Magic profile" will come with certain aspects, and one of them is that your results are now very important. If you choose to write about "the Standard deck you should be playing", then it's on you to provide validation for your words, and the best way to do that is through results.

I understand what you're saying about people judging your articles for your results, and it sucks, but it's not entirely wrong if your articles are of the "how to win" variety. I went through the same thing with Hearthstone. When I started writing about Hearthstone, I had no meaningful results - I still don't. That said, I understood the game more than most players because of my MTG background, and I think my articles were actually quite good. Regardless of that, I got numerous replies of "who is this guy and why should I listen to him?". People didn't know why I had more authority on the subject than they did, and they didn't understand why they should be doing what I told them to do. And it was a fair point because, in Hearthstone, I had nothing to back up my claims. So I decided to stop writing articles for a while, because I didn't want to write about anything that wasn't "how to win", and I felt like I needed more validation from my results before I could convince people that they should listen to me. If I win a big Hearthstone tournament, I'll write an article - it'll be the exact same article that I would have written today, but it will mean much more to people reading it. I accept this situation because this is the path I've chosen to go with in Hearthstone - the competitive, successful player/writer - and this is a requirement to follow this path.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is - you say results shouldn't matter much, you say you'd rather do your own thing, but then you decide to follow the one path where results DO matter, and justifiably so. This conflict will always make you feel bad and it seems to me that you have to choose - competitive, successful player/writer and everything that comes with it (including the fact that your results WILL define you in certain ways), or not. Either is completely fine, but you're living in kind of a limbo between the two worlds and it's not working out for you.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 7, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I have a question of dire importance for all of you: Where do you go to get basic lands with a specific art? As in actually acquire them in some functional amount. I've tried coolstuffinc but they are always out of stock on everything I would ever want, ebay is a cesspit, and most card stores online don't even sell basic lands (or if they do it's "whatever set and art we feel like mailing"). Been racking my brain trying to figure out how to even search this out because I guess the request just isn't common enough for card shops to care.

If nothing else I could maybe just post the lands here and see who might have them in quantity?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

I have a question of dire importance for all of you: Where do you go to get basic lands with a specific art? As in actually acquire them in some functional amount. I've tried coolstuffinc but they are always out of stock on everything I would ever want, ebay is a cesspit, and most card stores online don't even sell basic lands (or if they do it's "whatever set and art we feel like mailing"). Been racking my brain trying to figure out how to even search this out because I guess the request just isn't common enough for card shops to care.

If nothing else I could maybe just post the lands here and see who might have them in quantity?

starcity is typically the easiest place to do it

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yawgmoth posted:

Madmarker posted:

This, plus once you get the collector number for the land you want, you can google around for it easier.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Starving Autist posted:

"Do you know who I am," is a weak response to anything no matter what it is, from an MTGO conversation to trying to get out of a cop arresting you.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

"Do you know who I am," is a weak response to anything no matter what it is, from an MTGO conversation to trying to get out of a cop arresting you.

Its a weak response if you're like actually trying to debate and inform someone. If I am just talking to some shitlord on MTGO then gently caress it, who gives a drat.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

The salty opponent started it, dude. If someone mockingly tells you you're not an expert while raging, popping that bubble is not only morally acceptable but also hilarious.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Submitted for evidence: Angry Grimace being oddly salty in defense of a salty guy

Conclusion: Angry Grimace is JouNick

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Angry Grimace posted:

You should go out of your way to let each and every person you talk to know that this opinion was brought to them by "Forum Superstar Angry Grimace" lest they get confused and think they were talking to a spambot.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Of course they feature the worst card shop on Long Island in the Vice Magic documentary.

http://www.vice.com/video/the-mystical-universe-of-magic-the-gathering-000

What? I didn't see "Family Store!" on there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zoness posted:

Submitted for evidence: Angry Grimace being oddly salty in defense of a salty guy

Conclusion: Angry Grimace is JouNick

I believe this is true.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

SCG is sadly out of stock of all but one of the lands I want, and it's the plains that one of my friends has a giant stack of (or at least thinks he has).

LordSaturn posted:

This, plus once you get the collector number for the land you want, you can google around for it easier.
Googling by set/number seems to be panning out a lot better than trying to search for a store, so thanks for that!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
lifehack: cuneo's response was actually pretty funny, he's cool

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

magicplayers.txt

Not censoring names because it's on Vice's public Facebook.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/7-counterpoints-to-my-women-in-magic-article/

This article is a decent response to Gaby's first article and you should read it now while there are no idiotic comments on it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

magicplayers.txt

Holy poo poo dude I'm drowning in :ironicat:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

GonSmithe posted:

magicplayers.txt

http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

magicplayers.txt

lmao, i wish the rules could give out suspensions for being a massive tool on social media

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

"I don't mean to be a douche, but popularity and putting things in the light is sometimes a bad thing"

- Someone who has great experience being popular and being put in the light.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GonSmithe posted:

magicplayers.txt

A bunch of people complaining about hipsters invading the game that they were playing before it was cool?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Now I can't stop thinking about what Greg Fenton might have in his binder that he can't even discuss on camera.

Edit: I theorize it's an misprinted Expedition Map showing the location of buried Nazi gold.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 7, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Now I can't stop thinking about what Greg Fenton might have in his binder that he can't even discuss on camera.

Edit: I theorize it's an misprinted Expedition Map showing the location of buried Nazi gold.

Test print cards. As in, the ones with the stickers posted over them. They're not legally allowed to be outside of Wizard's hands.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I have a question of dire importance for all of you: Where do you go to get basic lands with a specific art?

I've always just gone to tcgplayer.com, typed "mountain" or whatever in the search bar, and keep paging over until I see one I like.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

"I don't mean to be a douche, but popularity and putting things in the light is sometimes a bad thing"

- Someone who has great experience being popular and being put in the light.

being put in the light is a bad thing when you're a pasty goon who burns instantly upon departing the basement

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Nobody tell these people there's apparently a major motion picture in the works.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2207542/

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Maro's card is Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind:
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/118376915073/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-is-my-social-media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

GonSmithe posted:

magicplayers.txt

but, Magic is already full of hipsters.

• Locked thread