Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

b0nes posted:

The thing I don't like about removable storage is that Android doesn't automatically transfer programs into the removable storage, you have to do it manually and even then not all of the data transfers. I had a 16GB S5 for a while, with a 64GB MicroSD card in it. Phone became full within a few weeks, even when transferring all the programs I could to the SD card. So I wont buy any phones with atleast 32 to 64gb of storage.

Because the removable storage is less reliable and much slower than the internal storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

The thing I don't like about removable storage is that Android doesn't automatically transfer programs into the removable storage, you have to do it manually and even then not all of the data transfers. I had a 16GB S5 for a while, with a 64GB MicroSD card in it. Phone became full within a few weeks, even when transferring all the programs I could to the SD card. So I wont buy any phones with atleast 32 to 64gb of storage.

Obviously dissss and RagingSheep are correct (they usually are) but another thing to consider is that TouchWiz is about twice as big AOSP so on a 16GB device nearly half of the storage is unavailable to the user because Samsung duplicates everything that Google requires they also include.

I haven't seen hard numbers since Lollipop came out but it used but on the S4 there was 8.56GB free compared to 12.28GB free on 16GB models under KitKat.

Samsung really likes to gently caress you over by stealing your good storage for garbage and letting you buy lovely storage you can't use for anything. It's like when your house gets robbed and the thief puts a deuce in the toilet tank too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I haven't seen hard numbers since Lollipop came out but it used but on the S4 there was 8.56GB free compared to 12.28GB free on 16GB models under KitKat.
From what I saw on a couple of blogs at some point the 32GB S6/S6E have ~23GB usable. For comparison, the N6 has ~26GB.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Samsung really likes to gently caress you over by stealing your good storage for garbage and letting you buy lovely storage you can't use for anything.
Except this is the opposite of what they did this time? There's no expandable storage and they bumped their base storage up to 32GB.

Tunga posted:

From what I saw on a couple of blogs at some point the 32GB S6/S6E have ~23GB usable. For comparison, the N6 has ~26GB.
Not great, but could be a lot worse. Doesn't 64-bit Android take up more space as well?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Except this is the opposite of what they did this time? There's no expandable storage and they bumped their base storage up to 32GB.

Correct and I should've said that. They even cut down somewhat on the bloat.

I really hope the SGS6 does well enough they continue on this road.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

wooger posted:

Yes this. If you've heard anyone talking about wireless charging, they're talking about Qi. There are no devices of the other sort on sale. There are no chargers of the other sort on sale.

Outside of some bizarre coffeeshop tie in deal in the US, there are no non-Qi wireless chargers anywhere.

IKEA are going to sell Qi chargers integrated into furniture. Qi has won.

Device maybe not unless you count the S6 which was mentioned, but there are definitely PMA chargers as a lot of the early wireless charging cases for phones were PMA.. The Powermat is PMA and that is probably the oldest example of wireless charging I can think of.

e;fb this thread moves to fast sometimes.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 7, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

removable storage is haram

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bought a Nexus 6 instead of an S6. I visited the store twice to play with the phones and decided I really liked the additional screen real estate. Also the n6 really isn't that much larger than the s6 in the pocket anyway. The only thing that's taking a lot of getting used to is one handed operation. But for games and most apps, the bigger screen outweighs the device being harder to handle. Also the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the times I was actually using my old phone one handed were fairly rare.

I dunno, I have 2 weeks to figure out if it ends up being a real peeve, but so far it's alright.

Rapner posted:

s6 edge or note edge people, do you regret your purchase at all?

My contract is up so I'm upgrading for free today, and I'm looking at these two seeing I can't find any stock android phones with expandable memory available from my carrier. (Telstra)

I spent a lot of time looking at the S6 and S6 Edge and I actually really dislike the S6 Edge's screen. The Note Edge is cool, but the s6 edge just looks wrong to my eye. To me it feels like you're using the screen at the back of a fish tank.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Eejit posted:

Bought a Nexus 6 instead of an S6.

About to go to the store and get mine! Keep the thread updated with your thoughts?

I am glad I've followed this thread so long, otherwise I'd probably be buying a device to flash out of the box. Back in the S3 days it was kind of cool to have that device sans Touchwiz, but today I completely agree with the general sentiment here: get a phone with an OS you like.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just factory reset my old GSIII for my bro to replace a lovely freebie ZTE he has, and boy did it remind me how bad Android sucked until even a few months ago. The SIII only got updates to 4.1, and it is just ugly and frustrating to interact with. It's ridiculous what a huge leap forward Lollipop is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just factory reset my phone because I was having weird issues that I didn't feel like troubleshooting. Plus it gave me a chance to reevaluate what apps I want to keep installed.

This process again reminded me how poo poo the backup/restore situation is on Android. I'd love to take an image of my phone how it is right after I have it set up just like I want with just the apps I want installed with all of them configured how I want.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

I just factory reset my phone because I was having weird issues that I didn't feel like troubleshooting. Plus it gave me a chance to reevaluate what apps I want to keep installed.

This process again reminded me how poo poo the backup/restore situation is on Android. I'd love to take an image of my phone how it is right after I have it set up just like I want with just the apps I want installed with all of them configured how I want.

It's pretty ridiculous that custom recoveries have been able to do this since before the Froyo days and Google still doesn't have it in the stock recovery. Even if they argue it's an "advanced feature" that might confused normal users, it's not like normal users know how to boot into recovery anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, it really is poo poo. I don't want to hear the excuse of different OEM's gently caress around with Android too much; just give me a way to keep the apps I have on my phone with the settings inside of them. Stuff like wallpaper and phone specific settings I don't really care about.

You can say that app developers have the option to include user settings and such in ~*the cloud*~ so they'll be restored when you download them again, but pretty much no ones uses that feature so Google should probably just finally step up with a solution.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of the problems is that Android apps were historically allowed to poo poo their settings/data all over the SD card if they wanted to. It's hard to back that up and attribute it to the correct apps, especially if it is intentionally shared data or large media files.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tunga posted:

One of the problems is that Android apps were historically allowed to poo poo their settings/data all over the SD card if they wanted to. It's hard to back that up and attribute it to the correct apps, especially if it is intentionally shared data or large media files.

You said it yourself though, that's a historical issue. Apps are no longer allowed to poo poo random garbage out all over your sd card as of KitKat.

Apple has had the full backup functionality for as long as I can remember, so Google's leaving it out is completely inexcusable at this point.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 7, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

Mooktastical posted:

You said it yourself though, that's a historical issue. Apps are no longer allowed to poo poo random garbage out all over your sd card as of KitKat.

Apple has had the full backup functionality for as long as I can remember, so Google's leaving it out is completely inexcusable at this point.

Yup, Google could have figured some poo poo out in the 7 years Android has been out in public now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mooktastical posted:

And half of all Android devices in the wild are still pre-Kitkat.

You'd think they could make it so anything paid or IAP [must/shall] use the standard app data backup, like they did with the whole place of business requirement.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
VoLTE on the AT&T G3 is rolling out right now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Got an update to my unlocked Sony Xperia Z3 Compact today - it's just a firmware upgrade, but it adds a remove all button on the app switcher which is quite nice. Haven't noticed any other changes though. Now on build number 23.1.A.1.28 (Android 5.0.2).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Am I the only one that thinks most manufacturers should use the year for major versions and dot versions for updates? example: Nexus 5 in 2015, Nexus 6 in 2016; Galaxy S 5 in 2015, Galaxy S 6 in 2016; Android 5.x.x in 2015, Android 6.x.x in 2016....

If this rumour about Android M being unveiled in a few weeks is true, maybe they're going for an annual named-release schedule like the other mobile OS.

...then again, lmao OS updates within eighteen months, that was definitely a thing that happened

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

spincube posted:

If this rumour about Android M being unveiled in a few weeks is true, maybe they're going for an annual named-release schedule like the other mobile OS.

...then again, lmao OS updates within eighteen months, that was definitely a thing that happened

It's not a rumor, actually. Google had it up on the schedule for I/O but they took it down as if they didn't want it up just yet. So it's pretty much coming but someone wasn't supposed to say it just yet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The way the Nexus 6 took away easy phone mute is driving me crazy. My wife has an amazing ability to start texting me like crazy right as the client (essentially my boss) is near, making my watch and phone buzz incessantly, and making it look like i do nothing but text all day even though that was the first time I touched it.

I know there's a priority mode but guess what my wife is considered a priority. I actually have to give her times when she's not allowed to text instead of just putting it on silent like I used to.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Ever since I added a second Gmail account on my Galaxy S4, it's given up automatically syncing mails, and it's pretty annoying. What could be wrong?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like it's detrimental that Google has fallen into the trap of needing to do big named releases. It sets expectations with consumers that there will be big new features every X months and that things must be this way. It's how software has been forever, but it frequently pushes developers into pushing out things that are half done or don't work well because they need to justify a "big" release. There's movement in the software industry at large to just release patches in bundles as they become available and only release big features when they're really ready, rather than as part of a big version dev cycle. Google even does it with Chrome (somewhat), but on Android they've stuck on having distinct big releases.

Rolling functional stuff into the Google Play Services APK was smart, but they should really abandon the dessert cycle altogether. Especially considering how half-finished Android still is on the whole.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not a rumor, actually. Google had it up on the schedule for I/O but they took it down as if they didn't want it up just yet. So it's pretty much coming but someone wasn't supposed to say it just yet.

I'd like welcome you all to googles next iteration of the android platform:

Android Marzipan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So what if "M" is previewed at I/O? It's a developer's conference, it's still likely not going to come out until around fall for any device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Monolithic large software releases are a remnant of an ancient past.

I'm sure Google is aware of this.

However, there is a benefit for Google in doing these stupid large OS updates...publicity and hype.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Holy crap why can't I turn the volume down all the way when I'm in a call on my N5? With headphones, the volume only goes down to about 1/10, but it's still way way too loud. Why can't I also mute the callers?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I feel like it's detrimental that Google has fallen into the trap of needing to do big named releases. It sets expectations with consumers that there will be big new features every X months and that things must be this way. It's how software has been forever, but it frequently pushes developers into pushing out things that are half done or don't work well because they need to justify a "big" release. There's movement in the software industry at large to just release patches in bundles as they become available and only release big features when they're really ready, rather than as part of a big version dev cycle. Google even does it with Chrome (somewhat), but on Android they've stuck on having distinct big releases.

Rolling functional stuff into the Google Play Services APK was smart, but they should really abandon the dessert cycle altogether. Especially considering how half-finished Android still is on the whole.

Who says there has to be some kind of keystone feature? I'd imagine a dessert codename, going down the alphabet year-on-year, is at least easier to understand than '2.3 -> 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 4.4 -> 5.0' for phone OS release cycles: it doesn't mean peoples' phones will ever be updated, of course, just that it might be a little more obvious exactly how out of date they are

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I know the G3 doesn't support Quick Charge, but does LG have their own form of rapid charging or anything? Using even the standard charger on this thing is brutally slow sometimes.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

spincube posted:

Who says there has to be some kind of keystone feature?

Large feature changes/additions are the reasons for increasing whole version numbers. Developers don't just pull numbers out of their asses when they assign numbers to updates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 7, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Got an update to my unlocked Sony Xperia Z3 Compact today - it's just a firmware upgrade, but it adds a remove all button on the app switcher which is quite nice. Haven't noticed any other changes though. Now on build number 23.1.A.1.28 (Android 5.0.2).

Every new firmware update has me hoping against hope that we'll get RAW/camera2 support. Looks like Lucy pulled the football away again:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/05/05/sony-details-changelog-for-new-xperia-z2z3-series-lollipop-update/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spincube posted:

Who says there has to be some kind of keystone feature? I'd imagine a dessert codename, going down the alphabet year-on-year, is at least easier to understand than '2.3 -> 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 4.4 -> 5.0' for phone OS release cycles: it doesn't mean peoples' phones will ever be updated, of course, just that it might be a little more obvious exactly how out of date they are

I don't think the versioning should be so promoted to users at all. Your phone should just say "you have updates" when there's updates. The only people who actually care about versioning are big ole dorks like us and we can follow version numbers just fine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Comically enough, I've been studying casual interactions non-sperglords in social settings. Turns out most people have no idea about phone updates, and the few phones of people that did get them, hate how "they changed everything". Does Not Compute.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

spincube posted:

They already do annual named releases that coincide with the Nexus phone's launch. Only exceptions being Honeycomb and Jellybean which went to the tablets.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The USB port on my nexus five was broken for a while. I just recently fixed it. While it was broken, I couldn't transfer music from my PC to my phone, so I decided to download the music I wanted from the Google play music cloud since I had already uploaded my collection.

Since Google changes the extension of my files so that only the play music app can play them (basically stealing them from me), I have been using that.

Now that I've replaced my USB port, I can once again drag and drop my mp3s to the music folder, and since they haven't been ruined by Google, other apps can play them.

My problem is, I'd like to be able to switch back to Poweramp, but as I said, it can't read the Google downloaded music files on my phone. So to free up space / keep all my music in one readable folder, I'd like to delete what I downloaded from the Google play cloud.

Unfortunately, Google will not let me access the files when I plug my phone in to delete them. The only way that I can see now is to delete them through the play music app on my phone. However, I can only delete one song at a time this way, and it also deletes them from my uploaded play collection on the cloud for some reason.

Is there any way that I can access / mass delete these modified music files without rooting my phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

The USB port on my nexus five was broken for a while. I just recently fixed it. While it was broken, I couldn't transfer music from my PC to my phone, so I decided to download the music I wanted from the Google play music cloud since I had already uploaded my collection.

Since Google changes the extension of my files so that only the play music app can play them (basically stealing them from me), I have been using that.

Now that I've replaced my USB port, I can once again drag and drop my mp3s to the music folder, and since they haven't been ruined by Google, other apps can play them.

My problem is, I'd like to be able to switch back to Poweramp, but as I said, it can't read the Google downloaded music files on my phone. So to free up space / keep all my music in one readable folder, I'd like to delete what I downloaded from the Google play cloud.

Unfortunately, Google will not let me access the files when I plug my phone in to delete them. The only way that I can see now is to delete them through the play music app on my phone. However, I can only delete one song at a time this way, and it also deletes them from my uploaded play collection on the cloud for some reason.

Is there any way that I can access / mass delete these modified music files without rooting my phone?

Clear data on the Play Music app?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just clear the App Data for Google Music. You'll have to log back in, but no big deal.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Oh, OK cool. I tried clearing the cache from within the app but not clearing the actual app data from the settings screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

Oh, OK cool. I tried clearing the cache from within the app but not clearing the actual app data from the settings screen.

Yeah, as long as you were pinning stuff through the app, that would wipe it all out. Clearing the cache would just clear the stuff that Play Music automatically/predictively downloads when you're streaming stuff.