Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Kid posted:

does it fix any of the slow down issues with the 2012? mine has been so laggy it has been unusable for months now.

5.1 made it a tiny bit better, but it's still slow. 5.1.1 seems about the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My 2013 seems snappier after the update but I could just be imagining things. I didn't notice any interface changes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thanks, that keyboard case is probably more than we need right now but I like the other one a lot. How about screen protectors? I'm trying to remember the brand I put on my S4 because it's really good, but I'm drawing a blank.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

butt dickus posted:

My 2013 seems snappier after the update but I could just be imagining things. I didn't notice any interface changes.

My N10 definitely was improved compared to the already amazing 5.1. Feels a lot better and faster than my (same age) iPad 4.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Those of you with a Nexus 9 can now finally have 5.1

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
oops wrong thread.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 7, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Merkinman posted:

Those of you with a Nexus 9 can now finally have 5.1

Why in the hell would they do this and push 5.0.2 at the same time?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I'm I the only one feeling a bit of smartphone fatigue? I was sure I was going to upgrade my G3 in the next few months but at the end of the day I feel I am still really happy with it and with it updated to Lollipop I'm not really sure why I would upgrade. The S6 Edge might have been compelling if all the reviews didn't say it sucked.
Normal people keep their phones for two years.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Speculation has been that 5.0.2 fixed a bug that would otherwise have caused the 5.1 OTA to fail (for example, a bug where OTAs larger than a certain size fail to download or install). So 5.0.2 is a prerequisite for 5.1.x OTA.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

The 5.0.2 update changed some stuff in the recovery to allow for larger OTA updates, so if 5.1.1 is a really large change that may have been necessary. We'll know soon anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That line of thinking still doesn't makes sense as there would have been no reason to rev the version number. If recovery needed to be patched to allow 5.1 update, then they could have pushed just a patch for that.

Also note, they didn't say 5.1.1, they said 5.1. So, I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be 5.1.1.

Easier answer is it's just google being google.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 7, 2015

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

That line of thinking still doesn't makes sense as there would have been no reason to rev the version number. If recovery needed to be patched to allow 5.1 update, then they could have pushed just a patch for that.

Why wouldn't they change the version number? I don't think Google has ever released 2 updates for the same device that used the same version number, no matter how small the changes between versions are. That makes sense to me since you don't want 2 different versions of software referred to by the same name. Also, it looks like the G+ post says 5.1.1, so we'll see which one is right.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Also note, they didn't say 5.1.1, they said 5.1. So, I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be 5.1.1.

Easier answer is it's just google being google.

Revving the version number is standard engineering practice, dude. Having two patch levels with the same version number is something to be avoided.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

pairofdimes posted:

Why wouldn't they change the version number? I don't think Google has ever released 2 updates for the same device that used the same version number, no matter how small the changes between versions are.

Yes, yes they have. They've done it recently even.

Right now, the Nexus 6 has 3 different 5.1.0 versions and the Nexus 5 has 2.

Rastor posted:

Revving the version number is standard engineering practice, dude. Having two patch levels with the same version number is something to be avoided.

Google does it all the time though. See above.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Various Nexus devices have had "r2" releases that didn't change the version number or just another build with the same version but a different build code. The N5 had two 4.4.4 builds, N6 and N9 both had multiple 5.0 builds, and probably some others I'm forgetting too.

Edit: beaten but yeah, that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

For what it's worth, the update screen on my Nexus 7 told me it was going to update me to 5.1 even though 5.1.1 is what it really installed. No idea why they do that, but maybe their Twitter account is just being consistent with what will show up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

Various Nexus devices have had "r2" releases that didn't change the version number or just another build with the same version but a different build code. The N5 had two 4.4.4 builds, N6 and N9 both had multiple 5.0 builds, and probably some others I'm forgetting too.

Edit: beaten but yeah, that.

Yeah, my main point is they went through the effort to test and deploy another code branch on the device when they could have easily just done an R2 patch on 5.0.1 if it was a 5.1 update prereq. It's just an odd approach, but it is google.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

Yes, yes they have. They've done it recently even.

Right now, the Nexus 6 has 3 different 5.1.0 versions and the Nexus 5 has 2.

Oh right, I forgot about that weirdness. In that case, I don't know why they did it that way, unless it was to just try and trick people.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It's 5.1.1, not 5.1:

https://plus.google.com/+Nexus/posts/2hB9k5r2Z7T

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Right now, it doesn't look like anything. Not a single report of an update in the wild. I know there's a few hours left of 'today' on the west cost, but they have 15 min left in god's true time zone.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I just got done writing up a guide about how to turn a Shield tablet into an HTPC/HTT (home theater tablet). http://www.hometheatertablet.com/htt-guides/android-htpc-kodi-htt-guide/ if you're interested. It's kind of long vertically, but if you know what you're doing it shouldn't take much time. Especially since most the work is in the external HDD and the guide attempts to take care of most of the ambiguity there.

e: new link

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 9, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Still completely nothing on the 5.1.1 front for the N9. Google has a very different definition of "today" than everyone else.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

Still completely nothing on the 5.1.1 front for the N9. Google has a very different definition of "today" than everyone else.

"Starting today" so if at least one person got it Google is accurate.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

You know how Google OTA rollouts go, available today doesn't mean every person gets the update today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

You know how Google OTA rollouts go, available today doesn't mean every person gets the update today.

If ANYONE got the update, someone would have reported it. There's nothing, crickets. No factory images either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Perhaps it's time to just take a bath on the Nexus 9 and get rid of it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

If ANYONE got the update, someone would have reported it. There's nothing, crickets. No factory images either.

Oh, well, the Nexus 9 kind of sucks, huh :shobon: Nexus 10 is on 5.1.1 iirc and is still good!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Well, managed to get 5.0.2 to install on the N9 using fastboot . . . was just getting an "Error!" before. So at least I'm ready for 5.1.1 when it DOES hit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The delay is likely due to the fact that 5.0.2 is apparently bricking N9s left and right. They go into a bootloop. Normally something like that is recoverable. However, since lollipop requires you to go into developer settings and allow unlocking of the bootloader ahead of unlocking it from fastboot, people who never did that are boned and have to send their device back.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Dell venue 8 7840 finally today received Android 5.0.1.

Got it installed on mine..... Install process took about 15 minutes. The "optimizing apps" step was the majority of this time. Seems to have made it faster all around. Also completely solved the web page reload thing Chrome did when switching between tabs. I'm happy with it.

Only problems so far: lost root. And the stock launcher did not retain the launcher settings/layout from the 4.4.4 launcher.

Apparently there is a developer version of the stock 4.4.4 firmware out there. The 5.0.1 OTA update cannot be installed that build. It will fail and get stuck in a boot loop.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I'm looking for a cheap but decent 10" tablet. I've been looking at the Nexus 10, Samsung Note 10, Acer Iconia, and Asus Transformer. I just need it for netflix, youtube, and some browsing so I'll accept some jankyness but I absolutely hate lag. Anything decent around or under $200 (used/refurbished fine) that might fit the bill?

Thanks to this thread I dodged the Nexus 9 bullet, but based on reading the past few pages it's not looking like there's many good options for a large android tablet outside of the high end stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm looking for a cheap but decent 10" tablet. I've been looking at the Nexus 10, Samsung Note 10, Acer Iconia, and Asus Transformer. I just need it for netflix, youtube, and some browsing so I'll accept some jankyness but I absolutely hate lag. Anything decent around or under $200 (used/refurbished fine) that might fit the bill?

Thanks to this thread I dodged the Nexus 9 bullet, but based on reading the past few pages it's not looking like there's many good options for a large android tablet outside of the high end stuff.

Asus is fine as long as you don't get a Tegra cpu (I don't think they sell one with that poo poo nowadays) but I'd go with Samsung because of the screen. Touchwiz on tablets is not as annoying and you can always overcome 80% of it just with a good launcher like Nova (install the betas because Materinova owns hard).

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
For what it's worth, I got burned hard by Acer on the Iconia A100. Lots of sleep of death issues, and no long term support for software.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ugh, It looks like the Tab S2 are all going to be 4:3.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That's going to make my pirated anime all weird, and also my comic books

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No android apps are optimized for 4:3, not even Google's. It's a terrible aspect ratio for an Android device.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I just got done writing up a guide about how to turn a Shield tablet into an HTPC/HTT (home theater tablet). http://www.hometheatertablet.com/htt-guides/android-htpc-kodi-htt-guide/ if you're interested. It's kind of long vertically, but if you know what you're doing it shouldn't take much time. Especially since most the work is in the external HDD and the guide attempts to take care of most of the ambiguity there.

e: new link

Why would you ever want to use a Shield as a HTPC when less expensive, more suitable options exist?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp got 5.1.1 OTA for my Nexus 10. Good thing Samsung picked decent parts & drivers for the tablet. Soon 3 years old and still getting updates, going strong!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

What the gently caress Samsung, 16:9 on the 8.4 Tab S is absolutely perfect. Perfect for reading text that reflows, perfect for watching video on that gorgeous display, perfect for holding. If they want to do 4:3 on the 10 inch Tab fine but 4:3 on the 8 inch is just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Some reports of the Nexus 9 5.1.1 OTA are starting to come out. Hopefully the factory images will be posted soon.

OTA link.

https://android.googleapis.com/pack...2L.5cb0c625.zip