Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Apparently that turret can attack twice, but each attack only deals 1 damage if it hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm pretty sure the PS-6 K-wing reads:
When another allied ship at range 1-2 is attacking, you may use your focus tokens as if they were their own.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

Apparently that turret can attack twice, but each attack only deals 1 damage if it hits.

At a cost of 6, that seems a little expensive. But I guess any turret upgrade that can shoot to range 3, especially if it doesn't need a focus or target lock will have its uses.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Orvin posted:

At a cost of 6, that seems a little expensive. But I guess any turret upgrade that can shoot to range 3, especially if it doesn't need a focus or target lock will have its uses.
It would certainly be good at stripping off stealth devices.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

FuSchnick posted:

It would certainly be good at stripping off stealth devices.

Horton Salm is useful again at last!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Val Helmethead posted:

Yeeesssss...

My precious Rebel Y-Wings...

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Val Helmethead posted:

Hortan + r3a2 + ion turret is way more fun than it ever has business being.

Edit: Forgot the title.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I ran this list in a casual game today against Turr Phennir + 4x Black Squadron Pilot w/ Predator:

Jan Ors (25)
Blaster Turret (4)
Kyle Katarn (3)
Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Keyan Farlander (29)
Opportunist (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Total: 100

It was hilarious. I caught Turr in arc with Keyan and wasted him immediately with a 6 red dice roll at range 1. Then the TIEs basically just fell like dominos. The amount of damage this list pumps out at a single target is absolutely disgusting.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Are there plans for S&V versions of the YT's? Solo may not have been villainous, but he was definitely scum.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It would be cool to see a scum yt-2000 transport with tokens, dial and cards for scum yt-1300.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I'm fine with the number of tanky turret platforms in the game already, myself.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm fine with the number of tanky turret platforms in the game already, myself.

Yeah, I kinda have to agree. Plus Scum are already getting their third large ship in the next wave which puts them on par with Imperials. The ones who are actually lagging a bit in terms of large ship options are Rebels with only two compared to three, made up for by the fact that the TY-1300 and -2400 are both pretty drat good ships in general. I'm holding out for a VCX-100/Ghost in some upcoming wave, myself.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Madurai posted:

Are there plans for S&V versions of the YT's? Solo may not have been villainous, but he was definitely scum.

Not gonna happen.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Endman posted:

Jan Ors (25)
Blaster Turret (4)
Kyle Katarn (3)
Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Keyan Farlander (29)
Opportunist (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Total: 100

I played this list again today, and it was rather funny how bad a pilot I am with the B-Wing. I was flying against Emon, N'Dru and a Syndicate Thug and manage to get both Wes and Keyan wasted only taking down N'Dru and heavily damaging Emon before Jan, surprisingly, killed both Emon and the Thug by herself.

I think I'm in love with the Jan HWK.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alg posted:

I am kind of thinkin' on this. Gonna do some testing and try FCS instead of AS and see which I like better.

Ten Numb — B­Wing 31
Veteran Instincts 1
Advanced Sensors 3
Mangler" Cannon 4

Bandit Squadron Pilot — Z­95 Headhunter 12

played this in a small tournament today, went 3-0. somehow thought I had 100 points and gave someone running

YT-2400 2 skill guy
3 Blues, 2 with FCS

initiative, and I still won

Beat 2 Soontir lists, keeping Ten away from fire and driving slow with him enabled me to punish Soontir for even showing up

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just played the first two games of the campaign that the Tantive IV comes with as the Imperial side. First game is a premade CR90 versus Howlrunner + Determination and five unadorned Black Squad TIEs. Imperials need to cripple one section of the corvette while the Rebel player needs to stay uncrippled for six rounds until they can jump to hyperspace.

This one came down to the wire with half my TIEs destroyed but his aft section one damage away from being crippled and it came down to one two-dice attack from my last TIE. I rolled a hit but he had his aft reinforced. It was a fun, tense finish. The big ships are a tough nut to crack being able to replenish their shields all the time but coordinated fire can cause them grief. Two of my TIEs got turned into roadkill when his corvette fishtailed through them so that was fun.

The second game was much more of a blowout. Rebels start with the corvette and 75 points of non-unique ships while Imperials (given that they lost the previous round, it branches) start with three Black Squad TIEs that have a facedown damage each, Soontir Fel with PTL, and 75 points to spend freely. The corvette is refuelling and starts with four tokens that deduct from any energy it accrues. It can give up its movement for the turn to remove a token or it can undock at any time to make a break but keeps any remaining tokens. Rebel player needs to leave off the Imperial edge or destroy all Rebel ships, Imperial player needs to cripple half the corvette.

This time I suffered a horrific streak of bad rolling. Two of my TIEs and a Saber Squadron pilot died right away while Soontir and my HLC Lambda wasted too many turns trying to blow up the fuel depot. By the time I switched over to attacking his corvette it was too late to turn things around. The shuttle was a poor choice since I had limited maneuvering options but between Sensor Jammer and Flight Instructor it tanked way more damage than it otherwise should have, and Soontir ended the game completely untouched (Stealth Device plus Autothrusters). Can't say it was as fun as the first but hopefully I take some lessons away from it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Played my first game of X-Wing last night: A friend has pretty much everything, so after reading the rules, I began cobbling together a team without help (at my own request), and resulted in this:

Winged Gundark (15)
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics (20)
Maarek Stele + Marksmanship + Cluster Missiles (34)
Colonel Jendon + Enhanced Scopes + Intelligence Agent + Weapons Engineer (31)

The general idea was to keep things close together, have the Lambda Shuttle mass-grab target locks and punt them to other things, Maarek try to eventually drop a massive critical alphastrike, Howlrunner to pass 8 piloting skill + rerolls to the others, and Winged Gundark to get in and shoot stuff.

My opponent (A different friend who had learned to play earlier in the evening and had gotten 2-3 games in) had their team still set up/refined from earlier

IG-88 B & C, both with Push the Limit, Accuracy Corrector, Mangler Cannon, Hot-Shot Blaster, and the IG-2000 title.

He proceeded to Benny Hill about the map with those ships absurd maneuverability + double-boost-double-evade while I bumbled about learning how the hell to maneuver properly and ramming my ships into each other half the time, before eventually starting to predict his moves better and drop a sacrificial TIE to stop one's movement and boost-dodges. I also completely mis-interpreted the Scopes + Intelligence agent so they were substantially less useful than I thought they'd be. I also didn't know that Titles/Modifications were slotless so I didn't use any of those.

Called the game in his favor when I was down to Gundark + Maarek and he was down to 88-C and the game had taken 2-3 hours because he was barely shooting at me most of the time and I pretty much was never going to be able to get both my ships shooting at him at the same time anymore since I'd need all 4 of my combined shots to deal with his 3 agility + two evade tokens every goddamned turn while he pulled 180s that crossed half the map and it was 5 am because we started late and I was fed up with his poo poo.

Mildly salty about the IGs but I had a good time.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Played my first game of X-Wing last night: A friend has pretty much everything, so after reading the rules, I began cobbling together a team without help (at my own request), and resulted in this:

Winged Gundark (15)
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics (20)
Maarek Stele + Marksmanship + Cluster Missiles (34)
Colonel Jendon + Enhanced Scopes + Intelligence Agent + Weapons Engineer (31)

The general idea was to keep things close together, have the Lambda Shuttle mass-grab target locks and punt them to other things, Maarek try to eventually drop a massive critical alphastrike, Howlrunner to pass 8 piloting skill + rerolls to the others, and Winged Gundark to get in and shoot stuff.

My opponent (A different friend who had learned to play earlier in the evening and had gotten 2-3 games in) had their team still set up/refined from earlier

IG-88 B & C, both with Push the Limit, Accuracy Corrector, Mangler Cannon, Hot-Shot Blaster, and the IG-2000 title.

He proceeded to Benny Hill about the map with those ships absurd maneuverability + double-boost-double-evade while I bumbled about learning how the hell to maneuver properly and ramming my ships into each other half the time, before eventually starting to predict his moves better and drop a sacrificial TIE to stop one's movement and boost-dodges. I also completely mis-interpreted the Scopes + Intelligence agent so they were substantially less useful than I thought they'd be. I also didn't know that Titles/Modifications were slotless so I didn't use any of those.

Called the game in his favor when I was down to Gundark + Maarek and he was down to 88-C and the game had taken 2-3 hours because he was barely shooting at me most of the time and I pretty much was never going to be able to get both my ships shooting at him at the same time anymore since I'd need all 4 of my combined shots to deal with his 3 agility + two evade tokens every goddamned turn while he pulled 180s that crossed half the map and it was 5 am because we started late and I was fed up with his poo poo.

Sounds like you guys might have been making some mistakes. You can't take the same action twice in the same round. That include free actions. So if your opponent did the boost and free evade, he then could not push the limit into a second evade action. So there shouldn't have been any way for IG-88C to get two evade tokens.

Just a note, this does not affect being assigned a token, just the actions.

nilstryfe
Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong Cavalier
So I won a spring 2015 tourney and came in second in a Store Championship (got to top table and conceded, I wasn't gonna go to regional's and it was getting late)with:

Keyan Farlander (38)
B-Wing (29), Advanced Sensors (3), Stay on Target (2), B-Wing/E2 (1), C-3PO (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (31) x 2
B-Wing (22), Fire-Control System (2), Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

And I find I'm really enjoying the game again. After weeks of playing casual games trying to make Fat Han work against the Aggressors and autothrusters, it's cool to just dogfight again.

Archenteron posted:

If your friend brought 2 IG's against you in your first game ever, you should probably punch him in the dick. At least he didn't have autothrusters, but if my first game had been against that, flying what you had, I probably wouldn't be playing today.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Archenteron posted:

Played my first game of X-Wing last night

Dual IGs are pretty much the perfect list to learn X-wing with because you only have to worry about two ships, they both usually have the exact same loadout, and there are no crazy synergies to have to worry about managing. Plus the large base honestly makes you more conservative with collisions and the dial makes zipping around a piece of cake. Just tons of boost evading and flying around like a pair of maniacal killer space mustaches.

So yeah that's some poo poo. Punch that friend in the dick twice, for with each IG.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Just a small clarification: Dual IG player was not Friend Who Owns All The X-Wing Stuff And Is Good At The Game. Double IG guy was someone who learned to play earlier, stumbled onto a good thing, and ran it into the ground (with apparently unintentional cheating). He also likes to play slivers in MtG, which is why he picked the IGs.

...So yeah, still probably deserves a dickpunch :v:

Other than that, how was my list/general idea?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archenteron posted:

Just a small clarification: Dual IG player was not Friend Who Owns All The X-Wing Stuff And Is Good At The Game. Double IG guy was someone who learned to play earlier, stumbled onto a good thing, and ran it into the ground (with apparently unintentional cheating). He also likes to play slivers in MtG, which is why he picked the IGs.

...So yeah, still probably deserves a dickpunch :v:

Other than that, how was my list/general idea?

Take this with a grain of salt since I'm the guy who just lost two games playing as Imperials but:

1). Two TIEs and an Advanced are in kind of a bind because TIEs are really fragile and mainly come into their own as a mass swarm (five or six ships) unless you just throw one in to fill out a slim number of remaining points and have an extra warm body, and so while Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics is a good combo for sure I feel like three TIEs plus a shuttle is going to be hard pressed, they don't have a ton of offensive power and they're made out of paper, so you kind of have the worst of both worlds going.

2). The Shuttle is a decent ship (not that I'm great at flying it) but if you're going to bring one I feel like you ought to at least give it a cannon of some sort...Heavy Laser Cannon, Mangler Cannon, even an Ion Cannon (though Ion Cannon will be less useful against Large ships so bear that in mind). Against IG-88s though I'd worry that the Shuttle's anemic movement dial could make it hard to bring your guns into position, though you do have some fun options with that all-stop maneuver.

The way I generally approach building lists, and again take this with a grain of salt, is that if I'm going to throw a big ship in the list (the shuttle, a Firespray, a YT-1300, etc) then I generally pair it with something more "elite" and some substantial upgrades. If I want to run cheap, fragile stuff then I usually eschew Large ships, which can be points-heavy to reach their full potential, in favor of a bigger swarm.

If you want to use the Shuttle against some dual IGs, here's a list I spitballed off the top of my head: Colonel Jendon, ST-321 Title, Navigator, Weapons Engineer, Anti-Pursuit Laser, Advanced Sensors (40 points). Navigator gives you some flexibility in your positioning against the IGs, though admittedly the Shuttle's limited dial may mean it's not that useful. Meanwhile the combo of Weapons Engineer, Colonel Jendon, and the ST-321 title means that every turn you can target lock both IGs no matter where they are on the map and parcel them out to friendly ships if they're in close range. Advanced Sensors lets you, for example, target lock before you take a red maneuver like that all-stop, and the Anti-Pursuit Laser is for fun because the only thing better than brake-checking ships as a Shuttle is brake-checking them and maybe dealing some damage in the process.

That leaves you with 60 points left to spend.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

[...]Anti-Pursuit Laser

Oh man, that exists. I want to shove that on the Captain Oicunn version of the Decimator and just roadblock people to death. Please advise on how to kit out that flying space brick.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't know how actually effective it is but everyone who sees Oicunn and knows that APL exists immediately has the same idea. I say go for it! The Decimator title allows you to take actions even when overlapping other ships by taking a stress so it seems like a reasonable inclusion. Navigator seems like it'll be more useful here for planning lining up your ramming, then after that it's up to you, there are a lot of fun cards to try on the Decimator. Oicunn only has Pilot Skill of 4 so Veteran Instincts can help him move later than most generic pilots and even some named ones if you want more effective activation, or you could go with the classic Expose (reduce your Agility by 1 as an action to increase your Primary Weapon attacks by 1 die. Your Agility of 0) or even Determination to ignore some of the crits your big beefy brick will accrue.

Oicunn with Vet Instincts, Anti-Pursuit Laser, Navigator, and the Dauntless title is exactly 50 points. With 50 extra points you could take a couple of upgraded Royal Guard TIE Interceptors or a whopping four nameless Academy and Obsidian Squadron TIE pilots. I fought against a list that had Rear Admiral Whatsisname in the Decimator and three TIEs and while it came down to the wire he managed to outlast me, so maybe there's something to that setup. I've also heard that a Decimator and a Phantom are a pretty potent tournament list so that's always a possibility.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

You could drop navigator from that build and run it with TWO LAMBDAS!:madmax:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone going to NJ regional this week? I'm glad I'm doing this sort of stuff again. It's way more enjoyable than doing it with magic. There's also often food involved. I think the Raleigh one is supposed to have a cookout too! WV had an impromptu one when Ron decided to bring the grill :3:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone going to NJ regional this week? I'm glad I'm doing this sort of stuff again. It's way more enjoyable than doing it with magic. There's also often food involved. I think the Raleigh one is supposed to have a cookout too! WV had an impromptu one when Ron decided to bring the grill :3:

I think he did mention that there would be a grill for the Raleigh one. Somewhere in the facebook event page iirc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Gate posted:

I think he did mention that there would be a grill for the Raleigh one. Somewhere in the facebook event page iirc.

Nice. The Raleigh one will be doubly good since all the magic players will be away at the GP. :peanut:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Got a bit of an itch for dogfighting again, though I haven't played since... well, more or less since the Falcon/Slave I came out. Keyan Farlander looks like a ton of fun, but I have no idea how the meta game even slightly works anymore. How about this:

Keyan Farlander (32)
B-Wing (29), Push the Limit (3)

Jake Farrell (22)
A-Wing (24), Chardaan Refit (-2)

Red Squadron Pilot (23) x 2

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Corbeau posted:

Got a bit of an itch for dogfighting again, though I haven't played since... well, more or less since the Falcon/Slave I came out. Keyan Farlander looks like a ton of fun, but I have no idea how the meta game even slightly works anymore. How about this:

Keyan Farlander (32)
B-Wing (29), Push the Limit (3)

Jake Farrell (22)
A-Wing (24), Chardaan Refit (-2)

Red Squadron Pilot (23) x 2

Change the two Red Squadron to Blue Squadron B-Wings, with the 2 points saved buy Stay on Target and put it on Keyan Farlander, then move the push the limit to Jake.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Clarification: Tycho can pile on Stress with no action penalties, but he is still subject to the penalty for taking two red maneuvers in a row, correct?

Endman
May 18, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Clarification: Tycho can pile on Stress with no action penalties, but he is still subject to the penalty for taking two red maneuvers in a row, correct?

Sure is. If you take Tycho, you should be prepared to never make any K-Turns, but if you stick him with PTL and Expert Handing, that really shouldn't matter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

grassy gnoll posted:

The way to look at it is this; taking a red maneuver requires you to have no stress and gives you a stress after performing it. Thus no matter how you acquire stress, if you have even a single token then you're not allowed to take red maneuvers until you clear your stress, and even Tycho isn't immune to that.

Thus if you exploit Tycho's special ability to its fullest what essentially winds up happening is that he's barred from performing red maneuvers because he has like a dozen stress tokens and good loving luck clearing all that one at a time via green maneuvers.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

The way to look at it is this; taking a red maneuver requires you to have no stress and gives you a stress after performing it. Thus no matter how you acquire stress, if you have even a single token then you're not allowed to take red maneuvers until you clear your stress, and even Tycho isn't immune to that.

Thus if you exploit Tycho's special ability to its fullest what essentially winds up happening is that he's barred from performing red maneuvers because he has like a dozen stress tokens and good loving luck clearing all that one at a time via green maneuvers.

A dozen stress tokens? He should have that after four turns.

And there is one way to clear all those stress tokens off the board at once. They all go away when he bites the dust.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cobbsprite posted:

A dozen stress tokens? He should have that after four turns.

Keyan Farlander looks over at Tycho, a stack of stress tokens taller than his B-Wing piled beside him, and weeps with envy.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So can you not Evade an ion shot? I might be misreading this but it says cancel all results if you hit, which we interpreted as the defender being shorted out but it was annoying as hell for my TIEs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A hit is defined as the state of having uncancelled hit dice. As long as at least one hit remains that isn't cancelled by evade tokens, rolls, or other effects, the ship being targeted counts as being "hit." All the ion cannon says is that if that happens, you cancel all dice then do the effects. This means any rolled criticals or normal hits go away and aren't applied.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Yeah, you do the whole engagement before cancelling results (both attacking and defending) and the Ion is only applied if the attack hit before the cancellation of results.

Otherwise Y-Wings would be the best ships in the game, crawling around the board with unmissable Ion turrets.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This greatly reduces the effectiveness of his HWK. Ty thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Oicunn with Vet Instincts, Anti-Pursuit Laser, Navigator, and the Dauntless title is exactly 50 points. With 50 extra points you could take a couple of upgraded Royal Guard TIE Interceptors or a whopping four nameless Academy and Obsidian Squadron TIE pilots. I fought against a list that had Rear Admiral Whatsisname in the Decimator and three TIEs and while it came down to the wire he managed to outlast me, so maybe there's something to that setup. I've also heard that a Decimator and a Phantom are a pretty potent tournament list so that's always a possibility.

Yeah, Owns the Game Friend was playing a list against Double-IGs-Guy with an "Echo" Phantom with Advanced Cloak, "Captain Kenkirk" Decimator with Ysanne Isard, Mara Jade, and a Tactician so it bumbled around with two psuedo-agility and threw stress tokens willy-nilly and then some supporting TIEs and other stuff I don't remember.

So three ideas for Decimator Pointblank Brick Team:
Captain Oicunn (50)
Decimator(42), Veteran Instincts (1), Navigator (3), "Dauntless" (2), Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Royal Guard Pilot (25) x 2
TIE Interceptor (22), Autothrusters (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Captain Oicunn (55)
Decimator(42), Veteran Instincts (1), Navigator (3), Mara Jade (3), Saboteur (2), "Dauntless" (2), Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Academy Pilot (15) x 3
TIE Fighter (12), Hull Upgrade (3)

Captain Oicunn (50)
Decimator(42), Veteran Instincts (1), Navigator (3), "Dauntless" (2), Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (25) x 2
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Ion Cannon (3), Tactical Jammer (1)

• Locked thread