Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JackMack posted:

Are you implying that lots of people have more than three Knights? Or nearly no one? I can't recall a pic of multiple knights in this thread but I am sure somebody out there would do such a thing. Maybe it is my psychotic love of GW that makes it hard to interpret the layers of sarcasm.

Also, be sure to rush back to the death thread to make some snarky comments about how lame we all are in the bad thread.

I am implying nothing. I am stating that more than a few people have three or more Knights. In fact some lists are nothing but five knights.

No sarcasm, just an honest comment and an underlying feeling of annoyance when players spam nothing but a single "good" unit. I get tournaments are play to win for many people, but I wish more players would play to enjoy.

I'll make my snarky comment right here, thank you very much, since this is the bad thread! :iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Given all of the Forge World options, and including now the new kits from GW, I could never see myself fielding more than one of any type of knight. It just sounds like so much more fun to mix em up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

I absolutely adore the Armageddon art, and it kills me that there isn't a massive poster of it:

What the hell. I've seen this for years, and even have the Armageddon fluff book, and never noticed that there is a freaking TITAN back there.

EDIT: Here's a link to a larger version: http://u.kanobu.ru/comments/images/fbb7271a-851e-4bc4-ae29-9843afe187e2.jpg

Also:

:black101:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 7, 2015

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Soulfucker posted:

who buys 3 knights anyway?

Sup.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finally clearing through some backlog and working on Nurgle Plague Drones, which has gotten me interested in restarting my Nurgle collection. Has anyone worked with the End Times Maggoth WFB kit to create a Great Unclean One? If so, how does it look without a rider and what base did you use?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I own 2, another dude in my group has 3, we have 3-4 guys with at least 1 each, and one of my teammates had 5, had them stolen, and bought and built another 5.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Naramyth posted:

one of my teammates had 5, had them stolen

Naramyth posted:

I own 2, another dude in my group has 3

:crossarms:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Hell, this was one of the armies at Dark Star over the weekend.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

What the hell. I've seen this for years, and even have the Armageddon fluff book, and never noticed that there is a freaking TITAN back there.
The basic formula for 40k art is "Screaming guy in front, huge thing in back" and then you just fill in the rest.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Finally clearing through some backlog and working on Nurgle Plague Drones, which has gotten me interested in restarting my Nurgle collection. Has anyone worked with the End Times Maggoth WFB kit to create a Great Unclean One? If so, how does it look without a rider and what base did you use?

While a maggoth would probably work fine for a Great Unclean One, I don't think I'd be able to resist using the big dude from the Glottkin kit.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

While a maggoth would probably work fine for a Great Unclean One, I don't think I'd be able to resist using the big dude from the Glottkin kit.

I just don't like the look of the Glottkin model, honestly. The Maggoth looks more vicious and menacing. I know Nurgle's supposed to be happy-go-lucky but the lopsidedness of the Glottkin along with it's droopyface just makes me dislike it.

It's also cheaper, which helps.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

People who think Imperial Knights are impossibly OP have never played against competent 40k players. I've had one of my knights since pre-order and never one a game (1v1) with it against our group. I have had Ad Lance for about 7 months and have only played it twice with it wrecking a 30k army, but only barely squeaking by a win against the last Eldar codex due to him not having his HQ 12" from the center objective (that was a 1v1v1). Last night my ad lance got destroyed 11 to 1 by the new Eldar due to volume of fire, angles and d-sythes.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I had a riptide win a combat with a knight!

Okay, that's a veeeerry rare example.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

hey im just saying he should watch his models

I've been trying to figure out what I can do with my pods. I've done well and like the alpha strike+endurance game they provide (killing 55 marines+pods takes a while) but have been losing to the demonkin dog rush and struggled with a 50 man blob with characters (cypher, priest, sang priest, mephi), and necon decurion (granted that game went to time). I've also played newdar bikes and really didn't have an answer to wraithknights and punching things with tac squads only goes so far. The next event we are going to is allowing 1 CAD 1 ally, and any number of unique detachments/formations and allows CtA. In addition CtA and 3 detachments might become the norm in ITC (depending on the vote ending Friday). A couple lists I've been thinking about :

BA/AM/iQ

sang priest, vertis veita, pistol
4x 10 man tac marines, melta, combi, heavy flamer
2x 5 man assault marines, 2x melta, combi
1x pod
Dante
Company command squad, 4 melta
platoon command squad
50 man blob
priest
inquisitor, 3 skulls

That winds up at 1840, so I have some points to play with. The blob could turn into conscripts to give me two more 10 mans walking around being in the way. Dante can drop with the assault marines or (more likely) hang out with the blob, depending on deployment. The blob does just kind of be my backfield and hangs out first rank/second ranking things and is fearless, hit and run, stubborn, ATSKNF with a 5+ FNP and basically be 50 wounds for Dante. This list has a lot of anti infantry punch but would struggle to remove pods in my backfield unless I drop back on my own lines, which would be annoying,

My second idea uses demons and summons up a backfield while the pods and marines do a glorious intervention on an inquisitor's science experiment gone wrong.

sang priest, vertis veita, pistol, jump pack
4x 10 man tac marines, melta, combi, heavy flamer
3x 5 man assault marines, 2x melta, combi
Dante
Great unclean one, exalted, greater, ML3
nurglings
inquisitor, 3 skulls

The unlcean one goes for summoning, grabs the portalglyph and has gets a survivable gift (FNP, reroll invuls, +1wound and IWND, 3+ armor) or an instant death sword, depending on what is needed and stands on an objective spewing out demons with a 2+ cover save and T7 6W while the pods come down on my opponents side of the table. In this build the priest and dante are batman and robin, jumping from squad to squad dealing with issues (and getting 5 more wounds per squad they hang out with). I like this because the great unclean one can smash pods and is a nasty backfield threat that is hard to remove (come on over with drop dudes or a monstrous creature, it won't end well).

I also want to put skitari in pods and rad/haywire stuff down but that is actually kind of expensive, and I don't own any of the models so :effort)

Stanyer89 posted:

People who think Imperial Knights are impossibly OP have never played against competent 40k players. I've had one of my knights since pre-order and never one a game (1v1) with it against our group. I have had Ad Lance for about 7 months and have only played it twice with it wrecking a 30k army, but only barely squeaking by a win against the last Eldar codex due to him not having his HQ 12" from the center objective (that was a 1v1v1). Last night my ad lance got destroyed 11 to 1 by the new Eldar due to volume of fire, angles and d-sythes.

Addy lance does well in the midtables but seriously struggles in the top 8-16. They are all LoW in the new book which solves a lot of issues in the ITC and NOVA circuits though.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 7, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Esser-Z posted:

I had a riptide win a combat with a knight!

Okay, that's a veeeerry rare example.

You did not beat the knight. You defeated my dice rolling. :colbert:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

You did not beat the knight. You defeated my dice rolling. :colbert:
I prefer to think that that battlesuit pilot was a big fan of lucha.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

I randomly got this codex two summers ago, when I got a huge pile of 40K for free off Craigslist.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

this is my favorite 40k image. always loved the kasrkin, a shame the metal model is out of print. it seems stormtroopers have their own codex now as Militarum Tempestus? Is it any good? Elite non-marine troops always appealed to me.

And this one made me pick Imperial Guard when I started playing again two summers ago.

This thread turned good again. Please continue posting cool things.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finally opened up the Shadowsword I've got (I've got an Armorcast one too, but that's for another time) and I think this is one of the earlier CAD designed GW models. The detail's kinda soft compared to the more recent stuff, but it still looks pretty drat cool. Gonna name it the Czar and run it with my Valhallans :ussr:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

adamantium|wang posted:

This thread is far too positive.

gw.jpg

And yes, I know we already posted all those pics of multiple-Knight armies, but somehow it really puts the best point on it when you see it on the page just way. You know, just in case any members of the target audience hadn't yet figured out how to min-max to the tune of $750.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
5 Knights isn't really a min-maxed army. It's never done well. The only people who I see run it are people who genuinely really like Knights as a concept.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if they do a Riptide only formation I might try that

But using non GW models of course

Maybe some gundams!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My buddy has like 8 or 9 knights, maybe more. All of the FW variants included in that.

The old Riptide with Broadsides formation never really made sense to me. Why would Broadsides be paired with a Riptide and not Crisis Suits?

Two units of Crisis Suits with a Riptide and an HQ would be sweet though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

5 Knights isn't really a min-maxed army. It's never done well. The only people who I see run it are people who genuinely really like Knights as a concept.

That's fair and I probably should have used words other than "min-max," but it's still hilarious to see that force org chart.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

A single knight? Pretty drat powerful and some armies have a hard time dealing with them. Like that, it 'aint bad. Ad Lance? Those can gently caress the faces out of lots of different armies, depending on what else you bring.

A good player with the right army or list can beat it, sure, but you loose to eldar because Hixson is a top notch player and his army has one of the best books in the last decade. If you bring 3 knights to a friendly game without telling the people ahead of time you're a giant rear end in a top hat.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PierreTheMime posted:

Has anyone worked with the End Times Maggoth WFB kit to create a Great Unclean One? If so, how does it look without a rider and what base did you use?

It doesn't look too difficult. Slap him on one of the Flyer oval bases and you're basically good to go.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Seeing all these knights makes me want to build Orky walkers and show them how it should be. All those Knights with close to identical poses. So boring to look at. GW should invest in giving them a more dynamic pose.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Raphus C posted:

Seeing all these knights makes me want to build Orky walkers and show them how it should be. All those Knights with close to identical poses. So boring to look at. GW should invest in giving them a more dynamic pose.

One of my only disappointments with the kit is the static pose the legs come in. Sure, you can saw a bunch of pieces in half and swap them around, but it just seems silly to have them made that way in the first place, when making it so that you could position the legs wouldn't have been that difficult.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Considering how poseable all the big Eldar kits are, it's pretty criminal that the Knights are so static. I guess when they brought back plastic Knights from Epic, they decided to bring the poses along too. When there's just one it's fine, but once you get a couple going it looks real samey.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Raphus C posted:

Agreed about the pose, I also dont like the comically large pauldrons

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Raphus C posted:

Here is a thread with a guy who posed his differently. It's an insane amount of work, but man do those groups of 5 in the same pose look weird.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Paul Bonner Orks, bitches:

Hell yeah, those WAAGH books with nothing but Paul Bonner pictures and awesome little stories in them were peak 40K for me.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Does anybody know of some decent looking alternate Cadian hostile environement infantry heads besides these Pig Iron ones?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

A single knight? Pretty drat powerful and some armies have a hard time dealing with them. Like that, it 'aint bad. Ad Lance? Those can gently caress the faces out of lots of different armies, depending on what else you bring.

A good player with the right army or list can beat it, sure, but you loose to eldar because Hixson is a top notch player and his army has one of the best books in the last decade. If you bring 3 knights to a friendly game without telling the people ahead of time you're a giant rear end in a top hat.

:cry:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm still new to the game and have no attachment to the old art. I also think most game art, no matter when it was made, is bad or dumb.

But that's like, my opinion, man.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

HardCoil posted:

Here is a thread with a guy who posed his differently. It's an insane amount of work, but man do those groups of 5 in the same pose look weird.

Holy poo poo thats a lot of work for a slightly more dynamic pose :/

"Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!" :smug:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Do the FW knights work for all those "any knight" formations?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They should.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hixson posted:

Does anybody know of some decent looking alternate Cadian hostile environement infantry heads besides these Pig Iron ones?

There's always Victoria Lamb for your IG bits needs.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, I decided to assemble my bikes, because I figure whatever changes come out of the new SM release it won't really effect them to much since I am going to magnetize the rider anyway.

Easily the easiest model I have had to assemble yet aside from perhaps a single tactical. Why can't other poo poo be so straightforward?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Star Man posted:

I'm still new to the game and have no attachment to the old art. I also think most game art, no matter when it was made, is bad or dumb.

But that's like, my opinion, man.

A very wrong opinion, but an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

Holy poo poo thats a lot of work for a slightly more dynamic pose :/

"Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!" :smug:
Seriously, what the poo poo. That's barely any different for a ton of work. Sweet paintjob though.

Uroboros posted:

So, I decided to assemble my bikes, because I figure whatever changes come out of the new SM release it won't really effect them to much since I am going to magnetize the rider anyway.

Easily the easiest model I have had to assemble yet aside from perhaps a single tactical. Why can't other poo poo be so straightforward?
The bike kit is really really old at this point. I think it had a minor rework a while back to update the rider and that was about it. The only updated bike kit I can think of are the Black Knights and their bikes are way more detailed and somewhat more complex. Sadly, they got rid of the free-spinning wheels so you can't do sick wheelies anymore unless you glue them to the base that way.

• Locked thread