Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

paranoid randroid posted:

Please do not try to goonishly own the professional politician. It won't work and you'll look like an idiot. Thanks and God Bless.

Pretty much :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Isn't Thomas unenthusiastic about national security arguments (mostly because they involve the federal government existing)?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Isn't Thomas unenthusiastic about national security arguments (mostly because they involve the federal government existing)?

Quite the opposite, he is a massive tosser on national security.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Conservative ideas on federal power w/r/t to national security basically run down to "if there is a conceivable threat, the gov can do whatever it wants"

Sometimes Scalia goes against this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember that Scalia thinks the terrorism scenarios on '24' are real and therefore torture is justified.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

paranoid randroid posted:

Please do not try to goonishly own the professional politician. It won't work and you'll look like an idiot. Thanks and God Bless.

Yeah, no worries there. It would end my career before I got back to my desk.

I'll probably just take a bad selfie with him and then make up internet tough guy stories about what I *would have * done.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To be honest, it was when Snowden started doing his thing that I first heard that there was an expectation that the NSA and its ilk operated legally. I thought they were born from the idea that illegal, unethical work is necessary to support a country and someone's gotta do it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Samurai Sanders posted:

To be honest, it was when Snowden started doing his thing that I first heard that there was an expectation that the NSA and its ilk operated legally. I thought they were born from the idea that illegal, unethical work is necessary to support a country and someone's gotta do it.

That's more the CIA's role.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

foobardog posted:

That's more the CIA's role.

Actually no, the CIA has violated the law from time to time, but the vast majority of the CIA's history has them acting perfectly legally and at the direction of the president. Even the truly awful stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought both the CIA and the NSA had a clandestine side full of dastardly things.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Quote of a lifetime:

"It's like loving Preet Bharara is listening to every loving phone call!" - Adam Skelos, transcript of phone tap recorded in U.S. Attorney Bharara's investigation, page 37

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jagchosis posted:

Woah I just got a premonition. In a 5-4 decision,

(if they don't go for en banc review)

Or Congress just changes the law. There is pretty good unity across the mainstreams of both parties in supporting the national security apparatus. Nobody wants to have an opponent use the next 9/11 against them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Quote of a lifetime:

"It's like loving Preet Bharara is listening to every loving phone call!" - Adam Skelos, transcript of phone tap recorded in U.S. Attorney Bharara's investigation, page 37
If I were Bharara that would be my ringtone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

berzerker posted:

Actually no, the CIA has violated the law from time to time, but the vast majority of the CIA's history has them acting perfectly legally* and at the direction of the president. Even the truly awful stuff.
*for specific and narrow definitions of "legally"

But no, seriously, the CIA does a ton of illegal stuff and doing illegal stuff is basically why they exist, they just, historically, don't do much of it here in the US.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
If anyone wants good, academic-quality history of the US intelligence community, some recommendations:

Anything by Christopher Andrew, especially For The President's Eyes Only: Secret Intelligence and the American Presidency from Washington to Bush (1995)

James Bamford is the premier historian of the NSA, including in
Bamford, James (2001). The Puzzle Palace: Inside the National Security Agency, America's Most Secret Intelligence Organization. Viking Pr. ISBN 0-14-023116-1.
Bamford, James (April 30, 2002). Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency. Anchor. ISBN 0-385-49908-6.
Bamford, James (May 10, 2005). A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies. Anchor. ISBN 1-4000-3034-X.
Bamford, James (September 16, 2008). The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America. Doubleday. ISBN 0-385-52132-4.

Rhodri Jeffrey-Jones:
In Spies We Trust: The Story of Western Intelligence (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013)
The FBI: A History (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2007).
Cloak and Dollar: A History of American Secret Intelligence (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2002).

On the technology side of intelligence,

Jeffrey Richelson:
The Wizards of Langley: inside the CIA's Directorate of Science and Technology. Westview Press. 2001.
Spying on the bomb: American nuclear intelligence from Nazi Germany to Iran and North Korea. Norton. 2006
America's space sentinels: DSP satellites and national security University of Kansas Press. 1999.
America's secret eyes in space: the U.S. keyhole spy satellite program. Harper & Row. 1990.

On the science side of intelligence,

John Krige, American Hegemony and the Postwar Reconstruction of Science in Europe (MIT Press, November 2006).
Paul Maddrell, Spying on Science: Western Intelligence in Divided Germany, 1945-1961. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006).
Kristie Macrakis, Seduced by Secrets: Inside the Stasi's Spy-Tech World (Cambridge, 2008)

GlyphGryph posted:

*for specific and narrow definitions of "legally"

But no, seriously, the CIA does a ton of illegal stuff and doing illegal stuff is basically why they exist, they just, historically, don't do much of it here in the US.
I guess if you're counting the laws of the people they're spying on, sure. I'm talking about US law, which has a much more direct bearing on questions of governance, like whether the CIA is a tool (sometimes useful, sometimes destructive) or an institution that's escaped from meaningful oversight and control.

berzerker fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 7, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Andrew Cuomo is a real shithead

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reading Rick Perlstein's 'The Invisible Bridge' is depressing, because you see that precise moment right after Watergate where we nearly turned a major corner as a nation, but decided we'd rather sweep things under the rug. The part about how the Church Commission ultimately didn't succeed is especially depressing in light of what the NSA is doing now. But as mentioned, there's no reason for those in power to dismantle their own power. So few leaders have ever done that, because it goes against our nature, unfortunately.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

An aide to Kamala Harris has been arrested on charges of running a rogue police force.

But wait, this is not exactly what you think it is.

:stare: Go onnnn....

So is this the Illuminati version of sovereign citizens?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “If you want to know who I listen to for advice, it’s him.” ~ Jeb Bush, on George W. Bush.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Is Jeb trying to lose intentionally?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “If you want to know who I listen to for advice, it’s him.” ~ Jeb Bush, on George W. Bush.

Yesssssssss, I really hope if he gets the nom he keeps this up. If people don't even have to try to connect him to his idiot brother then that saves a lot of time and energy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Joementum posted:

I really hope this ends up being Jeb's first big gaffe and it doesn't end up that W's image has somehow recovered that much in eight years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

1stGear posted:

I really hope this ends up being Jeb's first big gaffe and it doesn't end up that W's image has somehow recovered that much in eight years.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

1stGear posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

Well, at least the numbers waited till they no longer mattered.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amergin posted:

Holy poo poo, Americans are retarded and another Bush is what we deserve.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Lotka Volterra posted:

Yesssssssss, I really hope if he gets the nom he keeps this up. If people don't even have to try to connect him to his idiot brother then that saves a lot of time and energy.

Everyone says W was the idiot and Jeb was the smart one, I am beginning to think they got that wrong. W never went around saying how much he loved Charles Murray..... or did he?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Amergin posted:

I'd say, hopefully things have changed in the two years since that poll, but most likely his favorables have only gone up :(

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some great shots in the new Obama in 50 states collection.

This South Carolina woman's shirt is amazing.

And Biden was being Biden in Indiana.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How ya doin lil mama lemme whisper in ya ear...

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Amergin posted:

This happens to every president. The second people start talking about what he did his ratings will fall, it helps being out of the limelight for 6 years

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate passed the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act 98-1. Tom Cotton was the lone "no" vote, presumably because the bill doesn't force all Iranians to attend his seminars on the US Constitution.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That happened to Reagan and will happen with Obama.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Some great shots in the new Obama in 50 states collection.

This South Carolina woman's shirt is amazing.

Obama's face kills me in that Biden one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sir Tonk posted:

That happened to Reagan and will happen with Obama.
Obama was bad sure but he's no Hillary

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The Senate passed the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act 98-1. Tom Cotton was the lone "no" vote, presumably because the bill doesn't force all Iranians to attend his seminars on the US Constitution.

Their loss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Obama not digging Joe's shenanigans lol

efb

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Obama tryin' to figure out if he's gonna make it through his presidency without having to give Biden 'the talk'

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What the gently caress Biden that's not what I mean by courting every voter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

Obama tryin' to figure out if he's gonna make it through his presidency without having to give Biden 'the talk'

"Joe, when a man likes a woman he's gotta stop wrapping his arms around her and whispering in here ear."

• Locked thread