Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Murgos posted:

No, it doesn't.

Most engagements happen at 300 yards.

As a blanket statement that is inaccurate..

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA512331

quote:

Operations in Afghanistan frequently require United States ground forces to engage and destroy the enemy at ranges beyond 300 meters. These operations occur in rugged terrain and in situations where traditional supporting fires are limited due to range or risk of collateral damage. With these limitations, the infantry in Afghanistan require a precise, lethal fire capability that exists only in a properly trained and equipped infantryman. While the infantryman is ideally suited for combat in Afghanistan, his current weapons, doctrine, and marksmanship training do not provide a precise, lethal fire capability to 500 meters and are therefore inappropriate.

Comments from returning non-commissioned officers and officers reveal that about fifty percent of engagements occur past 300 meters. The enemy tactics are to engage United States forces from high ground with medium and heavy weapons, often including mortars, knowing that we are restricted by our equipment limitations and the inability of our overburdened soldiers to maneuver at elevations exceeding 6000 feet. Current equipment, training, and doctrine are optimized for engagements under 300 meters and on level terrain.

Note that this paper supports you in your claim that the MGs are the real killing power in the company, but that's because the engagements in Afghanistan are taking places at ranges where they're the only weapons the company has that can deliver effective fire at these ranges:

quote:

The infantryman’s ability to fix or kill the enemy with organic weapon systems at distances beyond 200 meters is limited by his equipment and training. The incapacitation mechanism of small caliber bullets, such as the 5.56-mm, comes primarily from bullet fragmentation.7 Bullet fragmentation occurs only at a sufficiently high velocity. All 5.56-mm weapons are most effective when employed within 200 meters due to velocity limitations. Once contact is made, the fight is limited to machine gunners, mortars and designated marksmen. In the table of organization for a light infantry company8 only the six –M240B 7.62-mm machineguns, two- 60-mm mortars and nine designated marksman armed with either 7.62-mm M14 rifles or accurized 5.56-mm M16A4’s rifles are able to effectively engage the enemy. These weapons systems represent 19 percent of the company’s firepower. This means that 81 percent of the company has little effect on the fight.

quote:

Short controlled bursts my friend. This section of the FM doesn't say what you think it does. If you are spraying rounds down range wildly you are doing it wrong and you will die. MG's are accurate and deadly weapons and when used as such are a dominant element in battle.

Not disagreeing, but point targets is only part of what MGs are for:

quote:

Area targets as discussed in this manual have considerable width
and depth, and they require extensive traversing and searching fires. This
type target exists when the enemy is known to be in a certain area, but his
exact location is not known. A hilltop is a typical area target. The leader
designates an area target by indicating to the gun crew(s) the width and
depth of the target.

That's from FM 23-65, for the M2. It points out, among other things, that the beaten zone is always about 2 meters in width. Engagement of area targets and suppression are not the same thing as 'spraying rounds down range wildly.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Are there people doing live fire runs with P47s somewhere? I've seen a video of a P40, that was pretty amazing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The claim was never *wiggles MG about wildly and expect hits*, even musket fire pre minnie (so?) ball was still semi aimed in the sense of 'at that group of guys over there', and the comparison would be more accurate in a volume of fire consideration.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Murgos posted:

If they poke their stupid heads out you kill them. You don't call out, "Hey there's guys there out in the open someone kill them! This stupid MG is only good for suppression and I can't hit a loving thing with it."

Yo as a corollary to this you said

quote:

The killing power of a modern infantry squad is its integral MGs, (well it's radios really) not small arms.

which is equally dogmatic and stupid as what you think has been said (nobody has actually claimed MGers don't try to kill people) but hey.

Now, I know you really mean that the MG is one of the most effective weapons in a company (within a specific definition of effectiveness obv), but your bad faith (or just bad reading comp?) arguments are really annoying, especially when you're arguing w another veteran.

(I love parentheses)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Often it's the most well-known things that are the hardest to talk about; picking the dividing line between "comprehensive" and "brief" can be very difficult. So today we have the sinking of the Lusitania, but with an eye on some things you may not have known about the ship. Elsewhere: Kenneth Best arrives on Gallipoli in the middle of Second Krithia, the latest offensive on the Western Front is postponed a couple of days, Louis Barthas has some work to do, the situation for the Russians is merely very difficult instead of absolutely catastrophic, and the Landships Committee starts veering down a blind alley as it investigates the feasibility of articulated tracked vehicles.

(Also, a staggeringly ironic advert in the paper.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JaucheCharly posted:

Are there people doing live fire runs with P47s somewhere? I've seen a video of a P40, that was pretty amazing.

I think this is as close are you're gonna get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJ82YCiuYU

I can't see how the FAA's gonna let someone fly around with live guns.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that Lusitania is the only conspiracy theory I'm aware of that is convincing. I feel it is time the UK told us what REALLY happened.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

bewbies posted:

I think that Lusitania is the only conspiracy theory I'm aware of that is convincing. I feel it is time the UK told us what REALLY happened.

Knowing how things work over here, the actual records of what happened simply got accidentally shredded or lost during a move and nobody wants anyone to know that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

...what you think has been said (nobody has actually claimed MGers don't try to kill people) but hey.

blech

e: two ad-hominems and a strawman or am I miscounting?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Who gives a poo poo. Call an A-10 and *Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SeanBeansShako posted:

Knowing how things work over here, the actual records of what happened simply got accidentally shredded or lost during a move and nobody wants anyone to know that.

"Official Secrets Act mate, more than me job's worth. Pub?"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

JaucheCharly posted:

Who gives a poo poo. Call an A-10 and *Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

I think they want less collateral damage not more.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MikeCrotch posted:

"Official Secrets Act mate, more than me job's worth. Pub?"

It is in a faded manilla brown envelope lodged firmly behind the radiator in one of the old buildings.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like military fantasy books where a person or persons from the future/present is transported into the past or placed within an environment where their future weapons don't work so they train the locals in firearm tactics and poo poo.

It's fun.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is in a faded manilla brown envelope lodged firmly behind the radiator in one of the old buildings.

"on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

h2g2 yay

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

I like military fantasy books where a person or persons from the future/present is transported into the past or placed within an environment where their future weapons don't work so they train the locals in firearm tactics and poo poo.

It's fun.

In this vein people modded Silent Hunter 4 to plop a 688i boat back in the WWII pacific and playing around with that is one of the most fun video game experiences I've ever had.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

khy posted:

It's fun.
If their future weapons don't work, the tactics based on them might not either

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

If their future weapons don't work, the tactics based on them might not either

Shh, the author doesn't know that. It might not work if they know that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like stories where knowledge of rock music and basketball enables the protagonist to defeat knights in single combat.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Shh, the author doesn't know that. It might not work if they know that.
"Oh my god, these giant blocks of dudes are so unwieldy!"

*deploys unsupported skirmishers*
*it takes a third of a minute to reload*
:horse::horse::horse:
:gibs:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

"Oh my god, these giant blocks of dudes are so unwieldy!"

*deploys unsupported skirmishers*
*it takes a third of a minute to reload*
:horse::horse::horse:
:gibs:

That actually happens at one point, albeit during a training exercise. Basically the natives going "See, we're not morons, we do this poo poo for a REASON."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

nobody else was on his level

So, the wiki is a sack of cold poo poo. Sorry if you've been asked this before (I bet you have), but what would be a good place to go read about him?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

So, the wiki is a sack of cold poo poo. Sorry if you've been asked this before (I bet you have), but what would be a good place to go read about him?
Golo Mann, Wallenstein A Life Narrated or Wallenstein Sein Leben Erzählt, depending on which language you're better at/what you can find where you live

basically, wallenst-owns

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
"What idiot tells his men to stand and fire in volleys? Obviously they should be laying prone and putting down targeted suppressive fire while their second platoon sweeps the objective!"

*Can't be easily heard or seen after 30 seconds of combat turns the battlefield into a noisy, smoke-covered mess*

*Completely loses control of his troops since they didn't have the advantage of drilling for half a year at Quantico in those tactics*

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"Pin them down while I call in air support!..

..ah, right. gently caress."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
"The officers, sergeants, and corporals should not be so visible, it's dangerous!"

"They're not listening to me, and I'm not sure they can tell where I am."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

Golo Mann, Wallenstein A Life Narrated or Wallenstein Sein Leben Erzählt, depending on which language you're better at/what you can find where you live

basically, wallenst-owns
and if you read that you'll realize that in letters, he's also really funny, since he'll tell people exactly what he thinks of them.

"As for conducting a campaign while the corn is still green, whoever wishes to be a fool and wreck an army in a fortnight, let him do it."
On Wolff von Mansfeld: "If he were as sick as he is conceited, he'd have died long ago."
On Cardinal Dietrichstein, governor of Moravia: "He has proposed the recruitment of twelve thousand men. He should not be allowed to try it because he will only use them for the protection of his own properties--waste, not gain. Or let him attempt it on condition that the whoring little priest goes to Rome as ambassador, and is thereby removed from the scene."

Meanwhile...
"Have ten thousand pairs of boots made for the soldiers, so I can have them distributed among the regiments. They must be carefully tied together, pair by pair, so that it will be known which belong to each other."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cyrano4747 posted:

You should hear what people say at concentration camps.

In a similar vein here's the Twitter account of a person that does a slave focused tour at an American planation.

https://twitter.com/afamhistfail

It goes exactly how you think it does.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda wonder what a well-educated and smart time traveller could reasonably teach these people, really. To increase the proportion of gunners in their mix a bit earlier than was historical?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

I kinda wonder what a well-educated and smart time traveller could reasonably teach these people, really. To increase the proportion of gunners in their mix a bit earlier than was historical?
how do you keep the cav off their asses then

Edit: Never mind, here's what you should do: actual taxes, rational administration, a draft (even though it's unethical), and a heavy focus on logistics. It needs no more technology than they have already. Basically the steps made in the 18th century or even the second half of the 17th, only in the first half of the 17th instead.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 7, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fangz posted:

Tell them to get cracking on making nitrocellulose.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

In this vein people modded Silent Hunter 4 to plop a 688i boat back in the WWII pacific and playing around with that is one of the most fun video game experiences I've ever had.

I assume not having your own torpedoes not actively trying to kill you would make it more fun....

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fangz posted:

Germ theory.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah, a little bit of chemistry would go a long way for them. Of course, first you'd have to convince them that fire is not the result of phlogiston leaving the object.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fangz posted:

Magic does exist and it's called calculus.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You'd also need better metallurgy unless you want to make everything explode.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Depending upon the time the metric system and/or a standardized series of measurements.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tomn posted:

Germ theory.

Yeah, was gonna post this. Also maybe a note on disease vectors and field sanitation. Or if you have a minute to plan maybe weather records.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, was gonna post this. Also maybe a note on disease vectors and field sanitation. Or if you have a minute to plan maybe weather records.

ambroise pare already knew back in the mid-1500s that a wound heals better if you remove the filth from it before stitching the dude up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fangz posted:

From the top of my head, assuming that you would like to, say, make sure the 30YW is won more quickly by one side:
- the socket bayonet to eliminate pikemen altogether, dramatically improving performance against a mixed unit
- standardized powder charges for artillery, preferably coming in some kind of waterproof combustible container so loading speed is improved and guns can be laid to a known range more easily
- paper cartridges
- standardized artillery in terms of calibre and gun length, meaning gun performance can be anticipated better
- a semaphore system using flags for quick long range communication, another system using flares/rockets if technologically feasible
- a dedicated corps of surveyors, leading to maps that are actually useful

Plus, as already said, Germ Theory and a rational, efficient and effective bureaucracy. Standardized supply requisition forms would probably turn your army into an unbeatable murder machine.

• Locked thread