Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Gonna rub team dogs face in their own poo poo! Team cat represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Would it be possible to have 4 people on one console play online with another 4?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think local multiplayer is just limited to the two-person battle dojo.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
NO!!! Noooo!!!!!!

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I like the Tanuki and white fox on top of the hub buildings.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I literally work friday night 4pm-midnight and then saturday morning 9am-5pm (in a timezone close enough to PST) and obviously have to sleep in between.

There is no Splatoon demo, boycott it with me. :ohdear:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm going to stab everyone on team dog to death with a knfie.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I hope the girl amiibo is the one that unlocks the schoolgirl outfit because if I need the squid amiibo I'm going to be extremely perturbed.

whalestory posted:

NO!!! Noooo!!!!!!

Splitscreen hasn't been possible with modern shooters in forever, dude. The framerate goes to complete poo poo and the Wii U isn't exactly a powerhouse to begin with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Silentman0 posted:

Splitscreen hasn't been possible with modern shooters in forever, dude. The framerate goes to complete poo poo and the Wii U isn't exactly a powerhouse to begin with.

Sad but true.

Ronnie posted:

Gonna rub team dogs face in their own poo poo! Team cat represent.

Team maomao gonna wreck some faces.

I think the first battle is pop vs rock though, which isn't even a question. :cool:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want only the squid amiibo because his missions involve going through levels as the kraken and thats badass.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I want the squid amiibo because my favorite color is green and I have the reasoning skills of a 5 year old.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silentman0 posted:

I hope the girl amiibo is the one that unlocks the schoolgirl outfit because if I need the squid amiibo I'm going to be extremely perturbed.

It is, Girl amiibo unlocks the schoolgirl outfit, Squid unlocks the robot(?) armor, and Boy unlocks the samurai armor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It is, Girl amiibo unlocks the schoolgirl outfit, Squid unlocks the robot(?) armor, and Boy unlocks the samurai armor.

Existential crisis because I like the girl amiibo better but I want samurai armor.

I haven't bought any amiibos yet but I may finally cave... :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't bought any amiibos yet but I may finally cave... :ohdear:

Don't worry, the scalpers will make sure you don't have to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't worry, the scalpers will make sure you don't have to.

Oh god, I didn't even think about that. What a weird situation.

Its beanie babies all over again, poo poo's gonna be worthless in less than 10 years.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh god, I didn't even think about that. What a weird situation.

Its beanie babies all over again, poo poo's gonna be worthless in less than 10 years.

No, they will be like the E-Reader cards. Cheep for some, $150 for a Greninja.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I'm actually a little disappointed Splatoon isn't shipping in multicoloured boxes that match the ink colours available in the game. At least for first shipment.

(Today I purchased Animal Crossing Kart 8 and it came in my first non Wii-blUe box so I am broken in now)

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I don't I can ever stop laughing at the Smash Mii Inking or the Squid Sisters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope if Nintendo still remembers Splatoon when winter rolls around that they sell squid hats. I'd buy one and then never wear it in public because I'm a huge goon and it also doesn't get that cold where I live.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo I'm sorry I still like physical media, please don't punish meeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

chumbler posted:

I hope if Nintendo still remembers Splatoon when winter rolls around that they sell squid hats. I'd buy one and then never wear it in public because I'm a huge goon and it also doesn't get that cold where I live.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/05/02/pre-order-splatoon-at-game-and-receive-a-free-inkling-hat/

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I was worried there was no shotgun weapon but I guess the paint rollers are the shotguns, which is cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

God damnit of course this is for the UK. I want that so bad :911:

Reiley posted:

I was worried there was no shotgun weapon but I guess the paint rollers are the shotguns, which is cool

Paint rollers are melee weapons really. There's a shotgun, its one of the blasters.

"blasters" are a whole category of weapons including a flak launcher, an SMG, a rifle, a carbine, a shotgun and more. :)

There's also a sniper rifle and railgun for the long range type weapons and a few others too.

Basically all the normal FPS weapons have a paint-equivalent here, which is how it should be.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
That hat will go real nice with my Hyrule Warriors scarf.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bean posted:

That hat will go real nice with my Hyrule Warriors scarf.

It's hosed up that you would brag about this. Not very sensitive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sweet paint-snipin' action.

Actually I think that's the railgun, the proper sniper has even more zoom but even slower rate of fire.

I am so completely in love with all the gun designs. Some of them are spray paint cans, some are water guns, some are super soakers, etc. etc. Its really creative and fresh design, mixing things we know with other things we know in fun ways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lemming posted:

When my sister lived in New York, she offered to try to get one of the scarves for me, but the line was too long. She made up for it by getting me a scarf from a cosplay place for Christmas.

Edit: I also have a Pokemon BW2 scarf from the launch event. What I'm saying is Nintendo needs to make more scarves so I can have a collection.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemming posted:

Bet that rear end in a top hat has lobster pajamas, too.

More importantly, os there a shock combo in the game? Please tell me there is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Reposting the direct in case anybody missed it: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk/v/4781129

It doesn't start until like 30 minutes in but it really details how the game works and all its modes.

There's a good bit more depth to the game than I figured.

looks like you have to pick from loadouts so you can't just fully customize your weapons. Kinda like TF2's classes but a little less niche.

chumbler posted:

More importantly, os there a shock combo in the game? Please tell me there is.

gently caress I hope so...

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty cool Splatoon direct, I was hoping the demo would at least have an offline training area or something.
Still completely on board, the game comes out on my birthday!

p.s. Dogs are a billion times better than cats

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Reposting the direct in case anybody missed it: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk/v/4781129

It doesn't start until like 30 minutes in but it really details how the game works and all its modes.

There's a good bit more depth to the game than I figured.

looks like you have to pick from loadouts so you can't just fully customize your weapons. Kinda like TF2's classes but a little less niche.

or you could just watch it on Nintendo's Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsZPYB0vMw

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

List of guns from the direct:

Primary weapons, sub-weapons, and special weapons make up your loadout.
Three types of primary weapons: Shooter, Charger, and Roller.

Shooter guns:
Splattershot - machine gun
Aerospray MG - SMG (close range, super fast rate of fire)
Jet Squelcher - DMR (long range, slower fire)
Blaster - Flak Cannon (fires grenade that explodes mid-air and has splash damage)
.52 GAL - unknown, grenade launcher?
Splattershot pro - unknown, shotgun?
Unknown watergun - unsure, another SMG?

Charger guns:
Splat charger - rail gun
E-liter 3K - longer charge rail gun with more range
Splatterscope - proper sniper with max range, scope, slowest rate of fire

Rollers:
Splatroller - basic melee weapon, roll paint or shake it to splash paint
Dynamo Roller - slower because its heavy, but the shake can deflect incoming fire
Inkbrush - brush roller, faster movement?

Sub-weapons use tons of ink but do special stuff. Only available when at full ink.
Sprinkler
Seeker (traveling bomb)
Splash Wall
Suction Bomb
Burst Bomb
Point Sensor (alerts teammates)
Ink Mine (invisible mine)
Squid Beakon (spawn point)
Distruptor (slows enemies)

Special weapons can only be used once you've painted a certain amount of ink on the field.
Inkzooka
Killer Wail
Inkstrike
Echolocator ( Detects locations of entire enemy team )
Bubbler (Invincibility? Applies to nearby teammates too!)
Kraken (Super Squid BATTLE MODE)

Looks like this is only the tip of the iceberg too, with lots more weapons and sub weapons in the final version, and then they've already announced that more guns will get patched into the game after launch.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 7, 2015

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Not a big deal, but EbGames in Canada gets a pretty nice 2-sided poster for pre-ordering. Doesn't make up for the fact most Wii U games are now $70 CAD :canada:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

If I can wear it backwards so my forehead doesn't show the game's name at all times I might get this (should it get released somehow statewise or if its not too bad to import) im gonna be moving to a snowy part in the states come February so I need this sorta junk anyway.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pichupal posted:

Not a big deal, but EbGames in Canada gets a pretty nice 2-sided poster for pre-ordering. Doesn't make up for the fact most Wii U games are now $70 CAD :canada:

The left one is pretty great

America gettin pooped on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

5 maps confirmed for launch with more to come
Urchin Underpass
Saltspray Rig
Walleye Warehouse
Blackbelly Skatepark
Arowana Mall

Also looks like the demo will be playable for awhile tomorrow night as well as saturday

5/8 (Fri) 8 pm - 9 pm (PT)
5/9 (Sat) 4 am - 5 am (PT)
5/9 (Sat) Noon - 1 pm (PT)

:siren: Color Lock mode confirmed! You can lock your team and your opponents' colors to certain colors. :siren:

Lemming posted:

America gettin pooped on

Also more expensive in NA than anywhere else comparatively :negative:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 7, 2015

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Could someone explain exactly what the Amiibos do in this game? Didn't watch the presentation and don't want to scrub through the Direct to find it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They unlock single player challenges you can do for points and eventually to unlock one of three exclusive outfits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its probably a good balance between "good enough that people want it" and not "so good that people get angry they have to buy an amiibo or they don't get it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Oh cool, I was worried they'd lock like specific guns behind Amiibos.

• Locked thread