Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DrChu posted:

SVT Classic? Mesa M6/M9 Carbine? Preamp into a stereo power amp?

Yes, was going to suggest the latter - you're seeing more and more power amps that can do 2 ohms/side. Preamp of your choice, but an Ampeg SVP would be pretty killer. I always saw the Melvins with this kind of setup and ~10,000 speakers up until 2007 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I don't know why I never though of a power amp, I'll look into it. Anyone use those Sans Amps with the distortion and DI? I think I'm just going to stick with this rig for now we leave on the 11th and poo poo is already getting hectic.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
im p familiar with doom bands (at least on the east coast) do you mind sharing your projects name?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Destroyer of Light from Austin. If any of you goons wanna check us out were doing the west coast starting next week. Then the east coast in August, venues forthcoming, I think most of it is booked.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Cool, I'll try to make it out to the Baltimore show, I don't think we're playing that night.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Pokey Araya posted:

Destroyer of Light from Austin. If any of you goons wanna check us out were doing the west coast starting next week. Then the east coast in August, venues forthcoming, I think most of it is booked.

Pokey Araya posted:

word you're playing my town (Columbia sc) I am guessing you are playing new brook land tavern, pm me who you are playing with and who booked it cause I can be on them to make sure to take care of it/help - some people here book too much and promote not enough

mekrob
Sep 4, 2003

Pokey Araya posted:

Sweet, gonna see you guys at Psycho California. You've been in my Spotify playlist since they announced the lineup :)

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Is this the right place to ask with help fixing amplifier problems in a vintage earth?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

dirtycajun posted:

Is this the right place to ask with help fixing amplifier problems in a vintage earth?

Might do, might be able to at least point you in the right direction if you give a description.

I have an old Sano gs15R. Lovely EL84 based tube amp, built in spring reverb and a nice tremolo effect. Sparkles great clean and crunches wonderfully in response to my pedals. :toot:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

word you're playing my town (Columbia sc) I am guessing you are playing new brook land tavern, pm me who you are playing with and who booked it cause I can be on them to make sure to take care of it/help - some people here book too much and promote not enough

Probably, we've played there a couple of times. I don't know about other bands yet, there should be a Facebook event in the next couple of months.

mekrob posted:

Sweet, gonna see you guys at Psycho California. You've been in my Spotify playlist since they announced the lineup :)

Hell yeah, come find me and we'll have a beer. Tons of Austin bands, and friends in general are gonna be there, it's gonna get wild.

mekrob
Sep 4, 2003

Pokey Araya posted:

Hell yeah, come find me and we'll have a beer. Tons of Austin bands, and friends in general are gonna be there, it's gonna get wild.

Cool, I'll bring you a beer if I see you (I assume you're the bassist). It should be a great weekend, lots of bands I've been waiting to see.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

dirtycajun posted:

It's been a while, want to tell us what's up with it? You weren't electrocuted, were you? :ohdear:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Aguilar TH500 + GS112 is doing something very odd. When I'm using it I can hear a weird faint static sound that comes and goes every 5 or 6 seconds, sometimes at more random intervals I believe. It's not pure white noise but I'm not sure how to explain what it sounds like. Similar to a quiet scratchy am radio signal coming through but it doesn't change enough to be radio interference. This happens at the same volume regardless of what bass is plugged in, volume settings, EQ, etc.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 11, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

My Aguilar TH500 + GS112 is doing something very odd. When I'm using it I can hear a weird faint static sound that comes and goes every 5 or 6 seconds, sometimes at more random intervals I believe. It's not pure white noise but I'm not sure how to explain what it sounds like. Similar to a quiet scratchy am radio signal coming through but it doesn't change enough to be radio interference. This happens at the same volume regardless of what bass is plugged in, volume settings, EQ, etc.

Had this issue with my B25 awhle back. It was a combination of a grounding issue with the amp and the house I was at. Try plugging it in another room or another house and see if it continues. It could be a cap going but if its not changing with the volume levels, I think its a grounding issue.

Does it kinda sound like a flag flapping in the wind?

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

I am working on an Earth Sound Research ISC Audio Inc Super Bass. I have opened the sucker up in an attempt to find the source of the intermittent horrible buzzing and crackling. If you slap the side it stops for a few seconds. Some of what I found said it might be the out going transistors, some the cap. Is there a forum out there full of old guru amplifier rebuilders?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

dirtycajun posted:

I am working on an Earth Sound Research ISC Audio Inc Super Bass. I have opened the sucker up in an attempt to find the source of the intermittent horrible buzzing and crackling. If you slap the side it stops for a few seconds. Some of what I found said it might be the out going transistors, some the cap. Is there a forum out there full of old guru amplifier rebuilders?

Have you ruled out things like a weakened/failed solder joint? Anything look obviously amiss?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I played a Two Rock the other day.

I dunno what that amp does, but it is loving magic. I'm gonna have to find some funds.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I am using a lot of amp modeling lately. Primarily Bias FX and Bias by Positive Grid. I love the tones I get from the software and I usually run it into the FX return of my Orange CR120/Bugera 4x12 cab. However, I want to take this amazing sound to my buddies house without lugging my cab there. Do any of you know of a decent combo with flat response and at least a 10" speaker that would be good for using the amp modeling? I'm looking to stay under $200 though, otherwise I'd just get the Line6 Amplifi. The closest I've found is a Monoprice 40w amp: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-611800-40-Watt-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B00IACHJNG

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
For flat response, you'd want a QSC K8 or K10 flat response powered speaker. Iostream recommends them almost exclusively.

It's a bit more than what you're looking to spend, but it'd be worth it to scratch together a little extra to pick one up. He runs a pair of K10s but was telling me the K8s have better dispersion of the sound.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Sockington posted:

Have you ruled out things like a weakened/failed solder joint? Anything look obviously amiss?

Opened it up, nothing looks off really except for what might be corrosion on the big rear end capacitors. I am going to do a cap check on every one in it just to be sure it isn't something easy. The other thing that tended to fail in this model was the outgoing transistors but I dont know if replacing those will destroy some voodoo quality of the sound and gently caress the whole thing.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sockington posted:

For flat response, you'd want a QSC K8 or K10 flat response powered speaker. Iostream recommends them almost exclusively.

It's a bit more than what you're looking to spend, but it'd be worth it to scratch together a little extra to pick one up. He runs a pair of K10s but was telling me the K8s have better dispersion of the sound.

Man this is way out of my budget. Know of anything else at all?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

gargamale posted:

Man this is way out of my budget. Know of anything else at all?

You might try keyboard amps. I used to run my old pod through a behringer keyboard amp and it sounded good enough for loving around at a buddies house.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

gargamale posted:

I am using a lot of amp modeling lately. Primarily Bias FX and Bias by Positive Grid. I love the tones I get from the software and I usually run it into the FX return of my Orange CR120/Bugera 4x12 cab. However, I want to take this amazing sound to my buddies house without lugging my cab there. Do any of you know of a decent combo with flat response and at least a 10" speaker that would be good for using the amp modeling? I'm looking to stay under $200 though, otherwise I'd just get the Line6 Amplifi. The closest I've found is a Monoprice 40w amp: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-611800-40-Watt-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B00IACHJNG

I've been using an Alto TS110 PA speaker for getting a sound out of synth-stuff, pretty flat response, it's no studio monitor but it's a 10-inch with a 1-inch HF driver, and is powered. Maybe one of the smaller models? That specific unit is a 300W (600w Peak) unit, and sits right on the $200 mark, I got mine on sale. The only issue I can see is that it's a tad larger than ye olde 80's style boomboxes.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I have a problem with my amp. I have a Mesa Boogie Bass 400. When I turn the master volume over 50%, the quality of tone massively degrades. Its like hitting a distortion switch. 49% and below sounds a little hot but not bad, but at exactly 50% it turns in to mud. Is this a preamp tube, or is there a better way to diagnosis this? How much cash should I earmark to fix this?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

gypsyshred posted:

I have a problem with my amp. I have a Mesa Boogie Bass 400. When I turn the master volume over 50%, the quality of tone massively degrades. Its like hitting a distortion switch. 49% and below sounds a little hot but not bad, but at exactly 50% it turns in to mud. Is this a preamp tube, or is there a better way to diagnosis this? How much cash should I earmark to fix this?

if its master volume it is probably the power tubes tbh. Sounds like one of them is going bad and when pushed for more watts it starts to flub. Either that or the tubes are running too hot which would cause them to distort earlier.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I took it to a shop, the guy looked at it for an hour and concluded the caps were old, and failing. Sound right or total bullshit?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

gypsyshred posted:

I took it to a shop, the guy looked at it for an hour and concluded the caps were old, and failing. Sound right or total bullshit?

It is very plausible, dying caps do lead to power issues but, iirc its usually the loss of bass response but its not always the case for sure. He doesnt really have a reason to BS you changing the caps isnt that much more labor for him its just more expensive because they usually cost a pretty penny. Whats his quote to fix it?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
$300 for labor/parts. I have no idea either way if that makes sense, I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken for a ride.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

gypsyshred posted:

$300 for labor/parts. I have no idea either way if that makes sense, I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken for a ride.

That's about right given the 400+ has over a dozen filter caps and you don't want to just replace those that are failing. You want to replace them all, full stop.

Most of that $300 will likely be towards parts rather than labor. You have to figure a $40-50 bench fee, plus a couple hours at $50 per hr and that's $150 right there. Pricing on labor also depends on your geographical location and the tech's reputation, and lead time. If he uses Sprague Blue Atom caps like those already in the amp, each cap will run roughly $8-15 and that's assuming he's not up-charging you a bit to keep the lights on.

I would say $300 up to $400 is fair given the nature of Mesa Boogie amps as they're extremely overbuilt and difficult to disassemble for easy servicing.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Thanks, that about lines up with what he was saying. I really like this amp, hopefully this is the last time I'll have to throw money at it for a while.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

gypsyshred posted:

Thanks, that about lines up with what he was saying. I really like this amp, hopefully this is the last time I'll have to throw money at it for a while.

Caps and tubes are generally the only work you have to have done on an amp.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Tell me if I'm dumb...
So I'm thinking about picking up an Orange Dark Terror. I could go for a Tiny Terror but I really want an effects loop which the Dark Terror has. I play metal a good bit so I'm comfortable with the high gain design of this amp.

For the speaker cab I currently have a Marshall JCM 900 1960-Lead. Here are the specs:
Specs:
Speaker Type: Celestion G12T-75W
Speaker Configuration: 4 x12
Power (RMS): 280W
Selectable Mono/Stereo: Yes
Impedance Stereo/Mono: 8 ohm, 16/4 ohm
30"W x 32-3/4"H x 14-1/4"D
82 lbs.

I'm hoping to find a used Dark Terror for around $400. Is there any other amp I should consider in this price range that would push a 4x12 cabinet? The Jim Root Tiny Terror also has an effects loop but I'm trying to avoid having to stare at the dude from Slipknot's signature all the time.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I would shop for a used 5150. The valveking micro would work too. Im a metal guy but I can't stand orange amp tone. The cabs are legit though.

The 6505 mini is $100 more if you could swing that.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Is there anything specific I should look out for when buying a used attenuator? Looking at THD Hot Plates specifically.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

hedgecore posted:

Is there anything specific I should look out for when buying a used attenuator? Looking at THD Hot Plates specifically.

If you're looking to dime the amp but keep it quiet a good rule of thumb is twice your amp's wattage.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whale Cancer posted:

I would shop for a used 5150. The valveking micro would work too. Im a metal guy but I can't stand orange amp tone. The cabs are legit though.

The 6505 mini is $100 more if you could swing that.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I'll have to try and play one of those. Based off videos they strike me as a bit harsh/mid rangey sounding.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I'll have to try and play one of those. Based off videos they strike me as a bit harsh/mid rangey sounding.

The Peavey stuff is generally mid heavy but you can tweak it to play just about anything from classic rock to thrash to djent to doom. I don't know what kind of metal you play but I guarantee there are bands in the genre that use 5150's or 6505's. The JSX and XXX might also be worth looking into.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
as someone who has both a jsx/XXX II and 6505+ they both slay but the jsx has more versatility and is smoother in general

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Vox talk. I've had my Night Train for almost half a year now and I've gotta say it's the best amp I've ever tried. No, it won't likely do djent-y goodness but it can do standard metal fine, and has a lovely almost fuzzy doomy goodness with a neck humbucker. I highly recommend people try one out. Maybe it's just me but it's handled everything I've thrown at it, Strats to LPs to Schecters with actives. I don't get a chance to really play it too often at a decent volume (50W in a bedroom will do that) but every time I get a chance to stretch its legs it's wonderful.

The only reason I mention this is because I've noticed it disappearing on some retailers. Andertons doesn't stock it, my local stores are just trying to move old stock, et cetera. I've got a feeling they might get discontinued. Which is fine for me, I've already got one and if I already have "my sound" then I don't need more. But it's a shame that such a great amp is getting ignored. It's amazingly well built, feels solid as, sounds great and is a great price. I had the choice of an AC30 or my 50H with a 2x12. Very glad I went with the Night Train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Hi Amp chat, need some help, I have a sizable amp collection in storage that needs thinning and some guidance on what to sell off.

I currently have with me (not in storage on the other side of the country):
code:
Fender Blues Jr.
Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
Fender Prosonic Combo
Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket (1x10")
Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker (that I converted to a head cabinet, the combo cabinet is in storage, heavy as sin)
Redplate Amps Magic Dust Duo head cabinet

Mesa Boogie 2x12" closed back, Vintage 30 speaker cabinet

On the other end of the country I have:
code:
59 Bassman hand wired clone done by Blues Pearl
Fender 65 Twin Reverb RI
Fender Blues DeVille combo, 2x12"
Fender Hotrod DeVille combo, 4x10"
Fender Super Reverb combo, 4x10" (x2)
Marshall JCM 900 combo 1x12" w/ 1x12" extension cabinet
Marshall DSL 2000 401 combo, 1x12"
Peavey Classic 50 combo. 4x10"
Peavy Classic 50 head w/ 4x10" and 1x15" cabinets
Peavey Bravo 112 combo
Peavey Deuce combo, 2x12"
Peavy Transfex 212S combo, 2x12"
Peavey 5150 combo, 2x12" (first generation)
Roland Accoustic Chorus 100
Silverton, old low watt sucker, not sure exact model
Tech 21 Trademark 60 combo, 1x12" w/ Power Engine 60 speaker cabinet, 1x12"
Vox Pathfinder
Out of everything in storage, the only thing that I have a definite keep is the 59 Bassman clone.

Any thoughts?