Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It also could have been much worse. He could have plowed the plane into a town, or worse, made one of the nearby Air Forces shoot him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

EightBit posted:

These systems depend on bleed air from the engines; bleed air comes from the first stages of the compressor. They're turned off for any situation where you might need every last pound of thrust from the engines: take off is obvious, but if you have to go around on a landing, you might need lots of thrust in a hurry.

If this is a normal condition for your everyday flying, you're doing it wrong. Also, you can use the APU to pressurize the cabin too up to a certain altitude so I can't see why they would be doing this other than being fuel consumption spergs.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm having a serious case of "someone is wrong on the internet". Just recently, a report was released that said that the Germanwings copilot fiddled with the autopilot altitude settings on the previous flight. Flightradar 24 then released this blog post:

http://www.flightradar24.com/blog/comment-on-bea-preliminary-report-for-flight-4u9525/

quote:

The BEA report notes that during the flight from Düsseldorf to Barcelona, “the selected altitude decreased to 100 ft for three seconds and then increased to the maximum value of 49,000 ft and stabilized again at 35,000 ft.” There is no indication from the BEA report that these commands were engaged in the autopilot, only selected and then reverted back to the assigned altitude.

While we do not have the full autopilot command data for the flight from Düsseldorf to Barcelona, our data for that flight is consistent with the BEA and shows no change in altitude corresponding with the autopilot altitude selections noted in the BEA report.

e: this is after I yelled at them on twitter, it was first phrased like this:

quote:

our data for that flight shows no change in altitude corresponding with the time noted in the BEA report

The bolded bits show that they don't understand how the autopilot setting works. If you are descending from 35000 to 27000, you can fiddle with the wheel and set it to 100, 20000, 1000 or whatever, it will maintain the same rate. Somehow, Flightradar24 seems to think these changes would be visible in their data as something else than the straight descent which is clearly there. This worries me because hundreds of thousands of people read what they write and it has become something of an authority, it for instanced called bullshit on Finnair's claim that they didn't overfly the Ukraine. But in this case, they might be casting conspiratorial doubt on what it a pretty straightforward report which their data agrees with. Do you agree as well?

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 6, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sounds about right.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize the computer would even have a setting for FL490 since the service ceiling for the A320 is FL390.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I'm having a serious case of "someone is wrong on the internet". Just recently, a report was released that said that the Germanwings copilot fiddled with the autopilot altitude settings on the previous flight. Flightradar 24 then released this blog post:

http://www.flightradar24.com/blog/comment-on-bea-preliminary-report-for-flight-4u9525/

e: this is after I yelled at them on twitter, it was first phrased like this:

The bolded bits show that they don't understand how the autopilot setting works. If you are descending from 35000 to 27000, you can fiddle with the wheel and set it to 100, 20000, 1000 or whatever, it will maintain the same rate. Somehow, Flightradar24 seems to think these changes would be visible in their data as something else than the straight descent which is clearly there. This worries me because hundreds of thousands of people read what they write and it has become something of an authority, it for instanced called bullshit on Finnair's claim that they didn't overfly the Ukraine. But in this case, they might be casting conspiratorial doubt on what it a pretty straightforward report which their data agrees with. Do you agree as well?

Well you're right, and you not only have to dial the new altitude, you have to select/confirm it before it will do anything. Dialling a new altitude in won't change anything until you push the knob.
But it also depends on the autopilot mode you're in (the pilots on here can fill in or correct me). If you're in V/S mode, changing the altitude setting won't change the rate of descent. If you're in a different mode, the V/S may change to give you the selected altitude.
Also, twiddling the altitude select knob will show up on the flight data, even if no selection is made. This won't be something Flightradar24 would have access to unless they've got some leaked info from the investigators.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

I've taken two flights on 717s operated by BLUE1 over the last week and have noticed something strange that I haven't noticed with AirTrans' fleet.

When takeoff thrust is applied the recirculation system seems to shut off. The over seat blowers stop and the vents along the overhead bins go quiet. In fact the whole cabin gets eerily quiet. It stays like this during climb out, my ears popping all the the way, until just after the 10k feet announcement.

This happens again on decent, the recirculation stops and starts seemingly randomly during decent.

What's going on here? Are they waiting to pressurize until they pass 10k to save money or something?

I'm not familiar with that aircraft or its powerplant, but it could be load shedding. Recirculation fans are a big electrical load. Might be an inoperative bleed valve, but I'd lean toward electrical load shedding.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

I didn't realize the computer would even have a setting for FL490 since the service ceiling for the A320 is FL390.

A318 ACJ can go to FL410: http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/corporate/acj-family/acj318/ - would it have the same avionics? It makes sense to have some leeway with those kinds of things.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Linedance posted:

But it also depends on the autopilot mode you're in (the pilots on here can fill in or correct me). If you're in V/S mode, changing the altitude setting won't change the rate of descent. If you're in a different mode, the V/S may change to give you the selected altitude.
Also, twiddling the altitude select knob will show up on the flight data, even if no selection is made. This won't be something Flightradar24 would have access to unless they've got some leaked info from the investigators.

That's correct.

Pretty much every autopilot built in the last few decades is designed so that selecting an altitude simply tells the autopilot where to stop and level off, but the autopilot won't leave it's current altitude until it's told how to get to the new altitude, which is usually via a commanded vertical speed, indicated airspeed/mach number, VNAV info from the FMS, or pitch attitude.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Since I know there's a bunch of us in here: Hey Seattle folks - there's going to be a Raptor in town down at KBFI this weekend

http://www.museumofflight.org/event/combat-edge-weekend

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Duke Chin posted:

Since I know there's a bunch of us in here: Hey Seattle folks - there's going to be a Raptor in town down at KBFI this weekend

http://www.museumofflight.org/event/combat-edge-weekend

I'm figuratively drooling.

http://www.museumofflight.org/content/air-force-f-22-raptors-receive-fans-museum-may-9-10

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Was just coming in here to post that as a dude on the facesbooks steered me in the right direction for landing times. :dance: If I can remember I might try to pop down there for their arrival since I don't really live all that far from Boeing Field.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

sanchez posted:

A reminder for DC goons, the WW2 flyover is this friday. I'm going to try and park somewhere off GW to watch, hopefully the lots are open and not full.

Thanks for posting this, I had no idea it was happening. I'm taking off work to go down to the Mall and take crappy photos. By the way, some of the planes will be at Udvar-Hazy on Saturday as static displays.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hannibal posted:

Thanks for posting this, I had no idea it was happening. I'm taking off work to go down to the Mall and take crappy photos. By the way, some of the planes will be at Udvar-Hazy on Saturday as static displays.

And since U-H's IMAX is poo poo at self-promotion, if you haven't seen Avengers 2 yet, they're showing it there on a non-fake IMAX screen.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sitting in Dulles right now, waiting on a flight, lamenting the fact that I didn't have any time on my trip to go to Udvar-Hazy. :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm sitting in Dulles right now, waiting on a flight, lamenting the fact that I didn't have any time on my trip to go to Udvar-Hazy. :(

Next best thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqTK_a284hY

Part one of a three part walkthrough...circa 2012. =/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tide posted:

The not-that-pretty ladies didn't get hired as stewardesses

Rifftrax did an American Airlines filmstrip about stewardesses from 1940. It is very important for stewardesses to learn sailing so they can maintain their figure, and also for them to train future stewardesses since 75% are married within 2 years of taking the job.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

A318 ACJ can go to FL410: http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/corporate/acj-family/acj318/ - would it have the same avionics? It makes sense to have some leeway with those kinds of things.
What happens if you exceed the service ceiling for an airliner? Does the cabin altitude start climbing as it can't keep up with the pressure difference, or is the risk more that a valve or seal will blow when its limits are exceeded and cause a full decompression? I'm assuming the pressurization system would be overcome long before the fuselage popped like a balloon unless it was old and busted (Aloha 243).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Service ceiling is generally defined as the altitude at which an aircraft stops climbing at a rate less than x, generally around 100ft/min. It's a bit more involved with turbojet aircraft, but it's a similar rating.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alereon posted:

What happens if you exceed the service ceiling for an airliner? Does the cabin altitude start climbing as it can't keep up with the pressure difference, or is the risk more that a valve or seal will blow when its limits are exceeded and cause a full decompression? I'm assuming the pressurization system would be overcome long before the fuselage popped like a balloon unless it was old and busted (Aloha 243).

Well its not going to blow up at FL410+1ft or something. The engines will probably flameout long before cabin pressurization becomes an issue. Its more like "We guarantee that if you fly within these parameters the aircraft will meet all legally required specifications"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Alereon posted:

Oh, you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Airlines_Flight_3701

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Yeah, I was pretty amazed the first time I read about that incident.

Wikipedia / NTSB posted:

In its final Accident Report, the NTSB determined as the probable causes of the accident:

1. the pilots' unprofessional behavior, deviation from standard operating procedures, and poor airmanship;
2. the pilots' failure to prepare for an emergency landing in a timely manner, including communicating with air traffic controllers immediately after the emergency about the loss of both engines and the availability of landing sites;
3. the pilots' improper management of the double engine failure checklist.

Thomas Palmer, former manager of Pinnacle's training program, said about the crash. "It's beyond belief that a professional air crew would act in that manner."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
One of the few flying Lancasters made an emergency landing after the #4 engine malfunctioned and had a small fire. All safe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

One of the few flying Lancasters made an emergency landing after the #4 engine malfunctioned and had a small fire. All safe.

Good to hear. How's the airplane?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Good to hear. How's the airplane?

It'll survive, they've had engine issues before and recently replaced the one that caught fire.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

Service ceiling is generally defined as the altitude at which an aircraft stops climbing at a rate less than x, generally around 100ft/min. It's a bit more involved with turbojet aircraft, but it's a similar rating.

More or less it's where the air gets thin enough that the wings can't keep you climbing/flying level at maximum thrust. Which is why, say, a U-2 (lots of wing) or an SR-71 or modern fighter jet (lots of power) can cruise at around twice the altitude airliners (built for efficiency) are comfortable at.

In somewhat opposite news, I want to go hiking in Wales.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It'll survive, they've had engine issues before and recently replaced the one that caught fire.

Classic British understatement with regards to the merlin.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

More or less it's where the air gets thin enough that the wings can't keep you climbing/flying level at maximum thrust. Which is why, say, a U-2 (lots of wing) or an SR-71 or modern fighter jet (lots of power) can cruise at around twice the altitude airliners (built for efficiency) are comfortable at.

In somewhat opposite news, I want to go hiking in Wales.

The French air force does something similar with Mirage 2000s and Rafales in the middle of France. loving awesome going for a bike ride and seeing them slalom between mounts.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Barnsy posted:

The French air force does something similar with Mirage 2000s and Rafales in the middle of France. loving awesome going for a bike ride and seeing them slalom between mounts.

I'd call it merely "cool".

loving awesome would be slaloming between mountains and laughing at the suckers riding bikes...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I'm sure we've all seen this one from the mach loop...

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Here's the planes arriving this morning. I'm tempted to just swing down and check them out in the parking lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5jQ5cb1Lg

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Today while driving through Shreveport, I didn't see any BUFFs, but did see a rather large airliner landing at the civilian airport. No picture, it was so low it just crossed the interstate under the treeline and its lower third behind an overpass (from my vantage point).

I only caught a glimpse, but I'm pretty sure it was light blue on top and dark blue below, and looked as long as the width of the I-20 right-of-way, pretty sure it had engines on the wings. It landed at almost exactly 1:40pm (+-2 minutes, I looked at the clock so I could look it up on Flightaware).

Flightaware doesn't show anything between 1:03 (CRJ-200) and 2:15 (ERJ-135), and it was halfway between those times and had the proportions of a heavy. Did I see some secret test flight? I'm 99% certain it was all blue on top, so not KLM, Boeing factory, or Air Force 1 (and the latter would've landed at Barksdale anyway).

Edit: on asking the person that was in the car with me, it may have been Boeing's in-house livery.

:tinfoil:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 8, 2015

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Probably either the 787-9 or a Dreamlifter. Those are the only ones I can think of that'd be in Boeing livery just now. I can see the first 787-8. from where I'm standing (and it's missing its rudder) so it's not that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EpicPhoton posted:

Here's the planes arriving this morning. I'm tempted to just swing down and check them out in the parking lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5jQ5cb1Lg

Why is a fire truck following them after they landed?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ctishman posted:

Probably either the 787-9 or a Dreamlifter. Those are the only ones I can think of that'd be in Boeing livery just now. I can see the first 787-8. from where I'm standing (and it's missing its rudder) so it's not that.

Another possibility would be a 737BBJ not tracked by flightaware, although it sounds a little small for what Delivery McGee is describing. Some of them have pretty unusual paint schemes.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
My work has me TDY in Seattle and I was looking forward to the Museum of Flight, but now it looks like I'm working all day Saturday instead of half-day, and likely airlining out Sunday :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StandardVC10 posted:

Some of them have pretty unusual paint schemes.

I saw her in person, up close, back in ~2007 or so. One of the most beautiful, intricate, well-executed aircraft paint jobs I've ever seen.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

I saw her in person, up close, back in ~2007 or so. One of the most beautiful, intricate, well-executed aircraft paint jobs I've ever seen.

:swoon: daaaaaaaaamn guuuuuuuuurl - that's bad rear end

The Locator posted:

Why is a fire truck following them after they landed?

They mistook them for F-35's

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Found it: NASA's 757 is hanging out in Shreveport testing something or other. Like I said, I saw it for literally a second, but it lines up with my general impression of size and colors, even if I misremembered the details.

Definitely wasn't a Dreamlifter, and looked less stubby than the BBJ 737. And kinda technically sort of a heavy. :v:

(I ended up finding it by searching the local newspaper's site for "airport" :downs: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Barnsy posted:

If you happen to be in Southwest Virginia (more specifically, the New River Valley), every once in a while you'll see F-15s or F-18s doing similar things along the New River.