Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's ever been normally possible to downgrade iOS. It sucks because several models have been crippled in their most recent software versions. Something that was perfectly usable when you got it is permanently transformed into something that runs like poo poo. It's good business I suppose. I would jailbreak old devices in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cawd Rud posted:

Right - it's not possible to downgrade a device to a firmware once Apple decides you shouldn't be allowed to, and there isn't a way around it for any kind of recent device. (I think the last freely downgradable device was the iPhone 4?)

The 3GS was when they first started the process of requiring a signature from Apple to install an OS update.

For a while it was vulnerable to a replay attack; TinyUmbrella could fake the signature request to Apple while Apple was still signing that OS, save the response, and spoof it to iTunes when you did a restore.

iOS 7 was the release that basically closed the door on that for good, though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do I get iTunes to never download the apps that I've downloaded to my iOS devices, ever? There is no reason I would ever want such a thing. It just wastes the space on my SSD.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Delete the files in Finder, but leave them in the iTunes library.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How do I go recovering purchases I did a long time ago? When I go to my purchased tabs in iTunes it doesn't show me a bunch of albums I had bought years ago in my old ipod touch 3, but if I check that device those albums are there in the purchased tab. It's the same apple id and everything.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

fleshweasel posted:

How do I get iTunes to never download the apps that I've downloaded to my iOS devices, ever? There is no reason I would ever want such a thing. It just wastes the space on my SSD.

There's a preference to change this behavior in iTunes. (Also whether to auto download music or other store purchases)

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Anyone have any personal recommendations for docks that will hold both an ipad and iphone at the same time?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crunchtime posted:

Anyone have any personal recommendations for docks that will hold both an ipad and iphone at the same time?

I have one of these for work, and I really like. Be aware it's to charge only, but I sync every thing via iCloud so I personally don't care. I don't think I've used iTunes with my iPad or iPhone for at least a couple years now.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PowerHouse-Lightning-Charging-iPhone/dp/B00NJNGGMG

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I have a 4th gen iPad that I think has failed. I got it from a friend so I have no history with it, but upon boot it is stuck at the "connect to red iTunes logo your Lightning cable" image on the screen.

iTunes recognizes it and states there's a problem, suggesting Restoration (or Update). Letting it do so with a fresh d/lof 8.3 brings it to "Restoring iPad firmware" in iTunes and the iPad with the Apple logo and progress crawler, which gets about 2mm from completion. iTunes/iPad hangs at this point forever until I intervene.

I've gotten the iPad into DFU mode successfully (nothing on the iPad screen, iTunes needing to Restore it). The Restore process hangs at the same 2mm-to-go spot.

I've used multiple Lightning cables, all official Apple kit.

Is there anything else I can do to it, or does this iPad seem faulty? If faulty, any idea how to repair it? My friend has given me carte blanche regarding it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tapedump posted:

I have a 4th gen iPad that I think has failed. I got it from a friend so I have no history with it, but upon boot it is stuck at the "connect to red iTunes logo your Lightning cable" image on the screen.

iTunes recognizes it and states there's a problem, suggesting Restoration (or Update). Letting it do so with a fresh d/lof 8.3 brings it to "Restoring iPad firmware" in iTunes and the iPad with the Apple logo and progress crawler, which gets about 2mm from completion. iTunes/iPad hangs at this point forever until I intervene.

I've gotten the iPad into DFU mode successfully (nothing on the iPad screen, iTunes needing to Restore it). The Restore process hangs at the same 2mm-to-go spot.

I've used multiple Lightning cables, all official Apple kit.

Is there anything else I can do to it, or does this iPad seem faulty? If faulty, any idea how to repair it? My friend has given me carte blanche regarding it.

Apple Store can replace it for $299.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Duet rocks, and is on sale today to celebrate the launch of the Windows version:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/duet-display/id935754064

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Can anyone recommend a scanner that works directly with an iPad? For a mom that
's 60+ so the simpler the better. Just needs to scan photos.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This might be a stupid question, but does Facetime only do one-way audio like a walkie talkie? I was watching my mum try to video chat with my aunt today, and every time my mum talked over my aunt the incoming sound cut out. It looked completely unusable to me, but I can't find anything on the internet about it. She's got some kind of leather case on there, if that makes a difference - it worked fine when only one person was talking though

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

baka kaba posted:

This might be a stupid question, but does Facetime only do one-way audio like a walkie talkie? I was watching my mum try to video chat with my aunt today, and every time my mum talked over my aunt the incoming sound cut out. It looked completely unusable to me, but I can't find anything on the internet about it. She's got some kind of leather case on there, if that makes a difference - it worked fine when only one person was talking though

FaceTime seems to have a pretty aggressive gate on the audio. As in, if audio doesn't pass a set level threshold, nothing passes. It saves bandwidth and isn't completely unique to FaceTime.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nah it's definitely not a noise gate, it's literally muting when my mum talks and then cutting back in when she stops. So it's like some half duplex conversation, which is a bizarre thing to have in the 21st century - video chat where both people can't talk at the same time? This isn't normal, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That doesn't sound right. I've not experienced that doing FaceTime.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hmm, any chance it's some kind of feedback protection? Like what eddiewalker's saying, put used to duck the speaker volume when it detects you speaking, so it doesn't end up feeding back into the mic. My mum does have the thing ridiculously loud for some reason, it's not like she can't hear it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That might be it, or some other thing like that, whatever sound filtering. Otherwise I feel like I've noticed something similar when the bandwidth/call quality gets sketchy, although that could just be sound cutting out in general.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Nah it's definitely not a noise gate, it's literally muting when my mum talks and then cutting back in when she stops. So it's like some half duplex conversation, which is a bizarre thing to have in the 21st century - video chat where both people can't talk at the same time? This isn't normal, right?

I've used FaceTime a lot and this happens when my bandwidth drops below like 1mbps. It also happens when skyping so I don't think it's unique. How's your mom's connection speed?

As for scanner, just use Evernote's document camera (Scannable is the standalone app, there are many others that are less user friendly) and the iPad camera. The other alternatives are kind of based on workarounds like scanning-to-email, which involves mucking around with settings on the scanner.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

As for scanner, just use Evernote's document camera (Scannable is the standalone app, there are many others that are less user friendly) and the iPad camera. The other alternatives are kind of based on workarounds like scanning-to-email, which involves mucking around with settings on the scanner.
I was thinking that stuff at first too, but the person mentioned scanning photos, do those apps output good quality with them?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

I was thinking that stuff at first too, but the person mentioned scanning photos, do those apps output good quality with them?

Good quality meaning you can post your lovely photos of your kids in the 70s/80s to Facebook? Or good quality meaning you can sell them? Edit: should be fine for FB, not for pro poo poo.

I can post some samples with an iPad mini 2, Air 2, 5S, and an actual 2400DPI flatbed scanner if you're interested in comparisons.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

tuyop posted:

I've used FaceTime a lot and this happens when my bandwidth drops below like 1mbps. It also happens when skyping so I don't think it's unique. How's your mom's connection speed?

It's fine, I had my suspicions so I started listening carefully, and it was definitely muting whenever she talked. From looking around ('ducking' was definitely a good keyword) I reckon it might be anti-feedback measures, with the mic off by default and the speaker muted when you talk and the mic kicks in. I'll tell her to try turning the volume down next time, see if it relaxes anything

Cheers peeps

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Good quality meaning you can post your lovely photos of your kids in the 70s/80s to Facebook? Or good quality meaning you can sell them? Edit: should be fine for FB, not for pro poo poo.

I can post some samples with an iPad mini 2, Air 2, 5S, and an actual 2400DPI flatbed scanner if you're interested in comparisons.
I...don't know, something in between like acceptable enough when viewing on a big screen rather than FB photos) or printing at home. But I guess I'm mostly just thinking of apps getting the colors wrong with their auto filtering or having issues with straightening, like if it's photos that haven't been flattened out (like my parents have stacks of photos holding their original paper curl somewhere) which would be a pain to photograph or straighten properly by the app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

if it's photos that haven't been flattened out (like my parents have stacks of photos holding their original paper curl somewhere) which would be a pain to photograph or straighten properly by the app.

Which, if you're absolutely married to the iPad scanning, you get a piece of glass to put the photos under. Of course now you have the issue of making sure all your lighting is indirect and the flash is turned off...

Or you can just buy a cheap sub $99 flatbed scanner. There are plenty of models that will work with OS X or Windows.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

flosofl posted:

Which, if you're absolutely married to the iPad scanning, you get a piece of glass to put the photos under. Of course now you have the issue of making sure all your lighting is indirect and the flash is turned off...

Or you can just buy a cheap sub $99 flatbed scanner. There are plenty of models that will work with OS X or Windows.

I'm not sure if you were talking about me when you were talking about scanning, my issue with my mom is the technical limitations...running a peripheral over a PC is just not within her realm of expertise. I saw a combination dock/scanner on Amazon with a free app included that's basically pushing a single button, that's kind of the thing she needs.

something like this. but I don't really know how good this one is. I mean, it's Hammacher Schlammer...mrgh.

She's mentioned that she's not happy with how it looks when she just takes photos of the photos, so I'm trying to find a solution. They do look pretty bad, all keystoned and bordered by her dining room table, edges curling upward...

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 19, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm not sure if you were talking about me when you were talking about scanning, my issue with my mom is the technical limitations...running a peripheral over a PC is just not within her realm of expertise. I saw a combination dock/scanner on Amazon with a free app included that's basically pushing a single button, that's kind of the thing she needs.

something like this. but I don't really know how good this one is. I mean, it's Hammacher Schlammer...mrgh.

She's mentioned that she's not happy with how it looks when she just takes photos of the photos, so I'm trying to find a solution. They do look pretty bad, all keystoned and bordered by her dining room table, edges curling upward...

Sorry, I did miss that part.

There's this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pic-scanner-batch-scan-old/id644278663?mt=8

I've never used it, but you can do multiple at a time and it will auto-crop them out to individual photos.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Oh! I just found this, and it worked exactly as you'd like. It even woke up my wifi printer from the app. I have an officejet pro 8600 that seems like it goes for <$100 used on Amazon. Added benefit that it's probably the only wifi printer I've used that I'd trust a grandma with because I've never had any connectivity issues.

After you scan the image, it saves it to the app and you can copy the image to your camera roll or share to a social network directly from there.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. A software and hardware solution are great, let's see which one she can figure out.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
I just found out my school's bookstore has the iPad Mini 3 w/ retina 16GB with cellular for $309. This seems like a drat good deal to me as it's $509 from Apple. I transitioned from iPad 2 + Macbook Pro 15 in to a 13 in Macbook Air last Fall. I love my Air, but occasionally miss having the iPad to browse. I have a lot of sources in Feedly and save to Pocket to read later. Love the Awful app on my iPhone 6. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the Mini 3. I know it wasn't a big upgrade over the 2, but that's a great deal. I'm not super strapped for cash, but money isn't a non-issue as I just graduated. Anyone think it's totally worth it or definitely not?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

its no big deal posted:

I just found out my school's bookstore has the iPad Mini 3 w/ retina 16GB with cellular for $309. This seems like a drat good deal to me as it's $509 from Apple. I transitioned from iPad 2 + Macbook Pro 15 in to a 13 in Macbook Air last Fall. I love my Air, but occasionally miss having the iPad to browse. I have a lot of sources in Feedly and save to Pocket to read later. Love the Awful app on my iPhone 6. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the Mini 3. I know it wasn't a big upgrade over the 2, but that's a great deal. I'm not super strapped for cash, but money isn't a non-issue as I just graduated. Anyone think it's totally worth it or definitely not?

The 16gb is bullshit and will suck. Are you going to use the cellular? It's also out of date tech so it might be better just to buy a mini 2 used on eBay or something. Or save up for a 64gb Air 2. I wouldn't buy a 16gb iPad OR a Mini 3 at this point.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

tuyop posted:

The 16gb is bullshit and will suck. Are you going to use the cellular? It's also out of date tech so it might be better just to buy a mini 2 used on eBay or something. Or save up for a 64gb Air 2. I wouldn't buy a 16gb iPad OR a Mini 3 at this point.

Cellular I could activate month-to-month and the next price point available I think is $370 for a 64GB Mini 3. I've only ever had 16 GB on any iPhone or iPad I've had. Is there something I don't know about that being bullshit? I stream podcasts and Spotify and save offline when I won't have service. Other stuff gets stored on Dropbox, Google Drive or Evernote based on what it is.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If nothing else you can get the 200MB/month of free cellular service from T-Mobile, which is enough for doing iMessage on the iPad on the go or whatever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

its no big deal posted:

Cellular I could activate month-to-month and the next price point available I think is $370 for a 64GB Mini 3. I've only ever had 16 GB on any iPhone or iPad I've had. Is there something I don't know about that being bullshit? I stream podcasts and Spotify and save offline when I won't have service. Other stuff gets stored on Dropbox, Google Drive or Evernote based on what it is.

Some (good) iPad games and apps can easily consume a gig or three of space. If you don't use any large games or apps or store videos for flights or whatever, then I guess you fall into the use case that doesn't need any storage space and you can save the 70 bucks.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

its no big deal posted:

Yeah some apps get pretty big, and if you ever plan on using offline video while traveling 16gb won't cut it. If know for a fact you're going to use it 100% purely for cloud streaming and web stuff then 16GB might work out - it's less likely you'll fill it up with photos like you might on an iPhone for example, unless you're weird and turn on cloud photo library with a full quality cache.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

its no big deal posted:

I just found out my school's bookstore has the iPad Mini 3 w/ retina 16GB with cellular for $309. This seems like a drat good deal to me as it's $509 from Apple. I transitioned from iPad 2 + Macbook Pro 15 in to a 13 in Macbook Air last Fall. I love my Air, but occasionally miss having the iPad to browse. I have a lot of sources in Feedly and save to Pocket to read later. Love the Awful app on my iPhone 6. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the Mini 3. Anyone think it's totally worth it or definitely not?

Which iPhone to you have? I don't see any point in a mini vs an iPhone 6 really for anything, especially as its a gen behind.

vs a MB air, you are getting retina, but really I just don't see the point in the mini full atop.

Lastly: do not buy, or let anyone else buy a 16GB iPad. It is a dickmove by apple to even sell it.

p.s. If you're a tweetbot user on iPhone, be aware that the iPad version still isn't even updated to iOS 7, despite the SDK/iPhone changes now making it trivial to make one app that works on both platforms. Not that separate versions wasn't always bullshit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just wanted so say for the longest time I "poo-poo'ed" those rumors if an iPad Pro (larger screen) being worthwhile. I still think it defeats the point of a tablet.

Having said THAT: I realized recently that all I use my iPad for anymore is watching movies and tv in bed... So maybe I'd actually enjoy the benefits of a larger screen....

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

I just wanted so say for the longest time I "poo-poo'ed" those rumors if an iPad Pro (larger screen) being worthwhile. I still think it defeats the point of a tablet.

Having said THAT: I realized recently that all I use my iPad for anymore is watching movies and tv in bed... So maybe I'd actually enjoy the benefits of a larger screen....

Between my 6 plus and how light the rMBP have become, I've been finding myself at a loss with using my iPad lately.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

flosofl posted:

Between my 6 plus and how light the rMBP have become, I've been finding myself at a loss with using my iPad lately.

I was using my iPad to make music using some of the great apps that have come out in the past few years (KORG Gadget, Animoog, etc).

Then iOS 8.3 came out and Apple closed off access to the file system from programs like iFunbox, which made transferring and backing up files to and from my laptop painless in comparison to using the lovely, pain in the rear end iTunes file sharing. iFunbox was basically the only thing making using my iPad bearable for some of the things I was using it for.

Now it basically just collects dust.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hypersleep posted:

I was using my iPad to make music using some of the great apps that have come out in the past few years (KORG Gadget, Animoog, etc).

Then iOS 8.3 came out and Apple closed off access to the file system from programs like iFunbox, which made transferring and backing up files to and from my laptop painless in comparison to using the lovely, pain in the rear end iTunes file sharing. iFunbox was basically the only thing making using my iPad bearable for some of the things I was using it for.

Now it basically just collects dust.

Can't you just use Dropbox or something instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

flosofl posted:

Same. My iPad is mainly for forums browsing from the toilet or Logic Remote, and the toilet usage is becoming rare because my 6 Plus is always on hand anyway. Wait, am I quoting myself from an alternate dimension? flosofl?!