Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Einander posted:

It's almost time for South Moundtop.

:shepicide:

South Moundtop has got to be one of the most obtuse and luck based things in videogaming ever. It's like pinnacle SaGa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heavy neutrino posted:

South Moundtop is a massive kick in the nuts unless you abuse a mechanic that I'm fairly sure the game never ever tells you about, in which case you might only have one reset or two if you're really unlucky. it's pure SaGa.

Yeah, even if you abuse that mechanic (which only really works if you're following a step-by-step guide or have the process memorized) you're still liable to get RNG-screwed at any and every opportunity. It turns a "restart eighty times" into a much more reasonable "restart eight times" :shepicide:

Ayana posted:

South Moundtop has got to be one of the most obtuse and luck based things in videogaming ever. It's like pinnacle SaGa.

No, Unlimited Saga is "pinnacle SaGa". This is a semi-close second.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Daerc posted:

I think I can safely say I speak for everyone who's played this when I say gently caress the Battle of South Moundtop.

I swear I'm the only one who figured this battle out after two tries :shobon:

It took me another two tries to do it right, but it wasn't luck-based or anything.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KataraniSword posted:

I really hope someone does a good screenshot LP of this someday. I actually watched four of the scenarios in a Video LP of the game, and everything just feels so carefully crafted. The sprites, the music, the characters, the stories, and the world are extremely well done -- It feels like a game a lot of love went into it.

Too bad the battle system and character advancement are just completely indecipherable. It might have been a lot better received if it came with an Infinity-Engine style manual.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Chuu posted:

I really hope someone does a good screenshot LP of this someday. I actually watched four of the scenarios in a Video LP of the game, and everything just feels so carefully crafted. The sprites, the music, the characters, the stories, and the world are extremely well done -- It feels like a game a lot of love went into it.

Too bad the battle system and character advancement are just completely indecipherable. It might have been a lot better received if it came with an Infinity-Engine style manual.

I tried to play it and gather information from Youtube about how to do so because that information sure doesn't exist (or didn't then, I guess it may now) in text form.

The instruction videos had a cumulative runtime of over an hour.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

KataraniSword posted:

That's not 'pinnacle SaGa', that's 'SaGa transcending its earthly shackles and becoming a law unto itself'.

Still really want to see an LP that describes everything step-by-step. And a copy of the Japanese guidebook, if only for the fact it's basically 650 pages of art from the game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The more people talk about Unlimited SaGa the more I regret it being the one I've never actually played.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's not 'pinnacle SaGa', that's 'SaGa transcending its earthly shackles and becoming a law unto itself'.

Still really want to see an LP that describes everything step-by-step. And a copy of the Japanese guidebook, if only for the fact it's basically 650 pages of art from the game.
There is one on YT for Unlimited SaGa which is pretty in-depth by someone who seems to know what he's talking about. It's horrendous to watch though because of terrible video and audio quality. I got a few episodes in and think I understand like half of what is going on in that game, enough to definitely be able to say that nothing in it makes any loving sense at all. Like, he's doing his best to explain everything, there are like three videos at the start just trying to somehow go into the arcane systems governing everything, but ultimately there is this terrible "look I don't know either okay" at the core of it all and it drives me insane. The game design enthusiast in me screams internally in disbelief at how you could make such a...thing.

And after all that, I even stopped watching because it's so boring. The LPer knows what he is doing to get through the game, but it's just move check for treasure find treasure check for traps fail a check fight a mimic (this is somehow a good thing, unless you get creamed totally which can also happen), move check move check find open worthless move move check move check fight. Everything is so unbelievably tedious and you have to do that or you get orifice-penetrated in all the wrong ways, apparently even if you have a more than cursory understanding of a combat system that might as well be you rolling dice on the outcome while throwing ten buckets of paint on a wall, drinking the leftovers and seeing what happens.

Then you end an Adventure or whatever and get panels to build up your skills which are the only way to do that and you have to put them in certain configurations on a grid next to zodiac signs and corresponding to elements and what the gently caress is even going on anymore???

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I dropped in on a friend who had Unlimited SaGa while I was in college. I tried to play for five minutes, ten minutes and don't think I can tell you want I was even doing. All I know is I want to punch the designer in the head.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nakar posted:

David is one cool-rear end motherfucker.

"Oh, my dad predictably died because he's a dumb rear end in a top hat? I'll deal with that in a minute, I'm busy negotiating world peace."

I don't know, I read a change in attitude after David heard the news about his father's death. After the messenger comes in he goes from wanting to successfully conclude these peace talks to "let's conclude these peace talks, so that we can prepare for war."

Granted he's still cool-headed enough to negotiate for Hahn Nova's independence but 'avenge father' definitely moved up high on his bullet point list

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, his dad was the leader of a nation. Regardless of who was the aggressor, the existing powers can little tolerate someone who can do that. Fake Gustave is a clear and present danger.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I interpreted David's reaction as closer to "well, at least now that my jerk dad is gone it'll be easier to negotiate an alliance." And it was.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lotish posted:

I dropped in on a friend who had Unlimited SaGa while I was in college. I tried to play for five minutes, ten minutes and don't think I can tell you want I was even doing. All I know is I want to punch the designer in the head.

Sounds like me then, I saw it in the game store once and I was all like "Hey a SaGa game" and I bought it.

Didn't get anything on how to do anything.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Bellmaker posted:

I swear I'm the only one who figured this battle out after two tries :shobon:

It took me another two tries to do it right, but it wasn't luck-based or anything.

Part of the problem I had (and the problem that still creates restarts for me when I do the scenario now), is that at least 4 of the 5 enemy groups you really want to be dead by the start of turn 5 have flame naga (I know all the sword rangers do, I don't believe I've seen the spear rangers cast it). I've never seen flame naga not kill a target that wasn't defending and it has an aoe large enough that a good percentage of the time it'll hit two of your guys. It's far from impossible, but needing to get through 4 fights without being hosed over by enemies that can oneshot you makes it exceedingly tedious if you keep getting hit with RNG bullshit. It's a great example of something where the strategy is easy and the execution is easy and I've been stuck on it for a while because a ranger unit keeps deciding they don't want to do anything other than Flame Naga (and the spear unit can get into the annoying bullshit world with lawnmower, though at least if they're fighting they're generally far enough away to not matter that much to the battle at large).

I mean gently caress, the most consistent kill the boss strat I'm aware of is almost pure RNG on the final fight and I still prefer it because only two fights against rangers matter, and one of those is just making sure your losses aren't too heavy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Heavy neutrino posted:

I interpreted David's reaction as closer to "well, at least now that my jerk dad is gone it'll be easier to negotiate an alliance." And it was.
Yeah, that's clearly it. He was basically stuck with his father's ambitions running around and he immediately takes advantage of his inheritance to disclaim Jade's claim on Hahn Nova, which he couldn't have done unless he was the Count of Jade. The difference is Charles would've stormed out of the conference to go fight Fake Gustave. David keeps his cool, makes a concession, and builds an alliance, then goes to fight Fake Gustave.

I'd say "which will no doubt work out better than it did for Charles," but South Moundtop might put the lie to that at least a couple times.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Freedom for Party Nova!
also, gently caress South Moundtop.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Koorisch posted:

Sounds like me then, I saw it in the game store once and I was all like "Hey a SaGa game" and I bought it.

I bought Unlimited SaGa entirely because I wanted to see firsthand how much of a complete mess it was. In that regard I walked away fairly satisfied.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, I really fell behind on this, but I'm glad I caught up in time for that thing everyone's so excited about!

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting them to kill Gustave off so early, and I was totally expecting him to pull a "never found the body" at some point... Surprises are nice, even if I did like him better than most of the rest of the cast. :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

To put it in terms a fellow Suikoden fan would understand: Luca Blight... Times 3... times like 5 or so.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Wow, I really fell behind on this, but I'm glad I caught up in time for that thing everyone's so excited about!

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting them to kill Gustave off so early, and I was totally expecting him to pull a "never found the body" at some point... Surprises are nice, even if I did like him better than most of the rest of the cast. :v:

Honestly, when I first played this game, I was really just wanting to play Gustave, but it's not really about him so much.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Is Gustave even all that good of a character mechanically? It seems like the lack of anima is crippling for various reasons in this game, and the really good steel equipment isn't even going to be available until well after his death, so it's not like he ever gets to use anything but his own sword (and as Gustaf shows, you can totally use steel anyway). I mean I guess he gets more gameplay scenarios than a lot of useless one-hit-wonders, but that just means he's kind of Tyler-tier instead of Cordelia or even Wil.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Nakar posted:

Is Gustave even all that good of a character mechanically? It seems like the lack of anima is crippling for various reasons in this game, and the really good steel equipment isn't even going to be available until well after his death, so it's not like he ever gets to use anything but his own sword (and as Gustaf shows, you can totally use steel anyway). I mean I guess he gets more gameplay scenarios than a lot of useless one-hit-wonders, but that just means he's kind of Tyler-tier instead of Cordelia or even Wil.

Not in the context of scenarios that aren't his own. He's perfectly capable in any of the scenarios he is usable. But if you're asking, like, would he ever be anything other than a liability in a final party? No, he'd be a huge handicap.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nakar posted:

Gustave never really fights anything hard but he has ridiculously more hp, wp and sword growth than anyone else and his weapon is always well ahead of the curve.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

To put it in terms a fellow Suikoden fan would understand: Luca Blight... Times 3... times like 5 or so.

:stare::hf::stare::hf::stare::hf::stare::hf::stare:

Well poo poo, now I'm even more interested!

(Fully expecting Einander to just breeze through it after all this build-up.)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I don't think he'd be a huge problem considering he'd still have like 3 WPR by the end of the game, a sword stat in the low stratosphere, and an open hand to use Cinderforge in. He'd certainly be better than Gustaf, and Spell Arts aren't that essential in the final few areas, especially if you have 3 other party members covering his rear end. Really the only problem a Gustave party would have is lacking a 4th person casting buff spells since that's all that really matters in the last battle.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Gustave has massive HP, WP and Sword growth, and he'd definitely be a wrecking ball if you gave him the Cinderforge Sword.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, I tried watching the same one, and the AV quality put me off quickly. I think he switched to higher-quality video recently, but that doesn't help the 150+ vids already done.

Koorisch posted:

I bought it, didn't understand it, traded it in, then bought it cheap a few years later because the PAL release was a hecka pretty package. Never played that copy, but it sure is nice to look at!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Einander posted:

The more people talk about Unlimited SaGa the more I regret it being the one I've never actually played.

You could fix that. Subject yourself to the madness.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe someone could do a blind LP where we'll all experience the madness equally and the thread will be a group effort to get through the game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Doing Unlimited SaGa blind could be interesting, if I figure out the tech end of it; I don't have anything else in mind after this. I'm fairly good at the whole SaGa thing, after all, but I know absolutely nothing about it otherwise (board games are involved?). I'm curious. Run through it once blind, and if I don't hate it afterwards, do some reading and experimenting and actually do it competently? Not putting that down for anything other than "distant maybe," though, not least because I don't know if it'd be enjoyable to read. (I might always do Dragon Quarter or Minstrel Song, those haven't had finished LPs yet.)

I beat the Battle of South Moundtop just now (and I honestly wasn't sure how long that'd take), so the LP may not go on break after all. Update may be Tuesday instead of Monday, though. In honor of the averted hiatus, let's play a game! It's something for all players, old and new. How many tries do you think it took? Bold your votes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

6 You know what you're doing, but so does the cheating loving RNG too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Einander posted:

It's something for all players, old and new. How many tries do you think it took? Bold your votes.

Depends on if you showed off both ways of beating it, legit and "help I am bad at war battles".

If you just cheaped it, 5 tries. If you did it both ways, 8 tries, but those legit runs were some of the most stressful attempts of your LP life.

EDIT: Using simple math, that's a vote for 3 tries. 3 very, very stressful tries where you were consistently one wrong move away from complete and utter failure. The trick is, the cheap way is far more RNG-reliant? But you're able to spot fuckups much, much quicker, so you'll have to retry it more times but you'll be able to run it more times in the same amount of time.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 9, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

4 is a nice, round number.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Depends on if you showed off both ways of beating it, legit and "help I am bad at war battles".

If you just cheaped it, 5 tries. If you did it both ways, 8 tries, but those legit runs were some of the most stressful attempts of your LP life.

To clarify: the votes are for the legit way. I'm showing off both, and you can vote for the numbers of tries on the exploit path if you want, but do that separately for clarity.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm going to say 7 tries.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

8, based off my attempt count minus about 10.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Well somebody's gotta do it, so one.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
lucky number 13.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

Well somebody's gotta do it, so one.

The first one will be close. But at the last critical moment something will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm gonna roll with the idea that the game took some kind of pity on you and say 2.

• Locked thread